E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW-Dinan partnership



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
fdsasdasdf
Captain
fdsasdasdf's Avatar
30
Rep
779
Posts

 
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

BMW-Dinan partnership

I heard that BMW has severed ties with Dinan, but I had a rep at a dealer tell me that they still do have a partnership, then talked a bit about the whole Dinan chip for N54s. Do they still have a partnership, or is he mistaken? Reason why I'm asking is because in the future, I'm trying to decide if I'd get JB3 or Dinan (but let's not discuss that in this thread )
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
b0bab0i
Captain
9
Rep
974
Posts

 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

It's been gone for like 2 years.

Thats why BMW has "BMW Performance" parts now.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
b0bab0i
Captain
9
Rep
974
Posts

 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Just to clarify, BMW & Dinan partnership has been gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
fdsasdasdf
Captain
fdsasdasdf's Avatar
30
Rep
779
Posts

 
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Note to self: do not trust BMW reps.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
HTRules
1LT Co. B 16th Signal Battalion
HTRules's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
131
Posts

 
Drives: Schwarz 2008 E92
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I heard that BMW has severed ties with Dinan, but I had a rep at a dealer tell me that they still do have a partnership, then talked a bit about the whole Dinan chip for N54s. Do they still have a partnership, or is he mistaken? Reason why I'm asking is because in the future, I'm trying to decide if I'd get JB3 or Dinan (but let's not discuss that in this thread )
Many dealerships across the US are installing Dinan software and parts as of today.

Since the advent of BMW Performance I would desribe their relationship as friendly competitors.

Even if there was no relationship at all, Dinan "takes over" the car's 4-year warranty following installation of their software and/or parts, so you're covered in any case.

I've been a customer of both BMW and Dinan since 2002 and it's been all good, right up to and including present day.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Dice13
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
550
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 AW E93 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Just wondering on a lease,could u still be covered. When lease is up do you just put everything back to stock without problems from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
ybbiz34
Moderator
ybbiz34's Avatar
181
Rep
4,714
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice13 View Post
Just wondering on a lease,could u still be covered. When lease is up do you just put everything back to stock without problems from BMW.
I turned my lease in with all of my Dinan modifications. No trouble.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
5,198
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Where you'll run into trouble is if you want to buy out your lease and have them certify your car for the extended warranty.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
HTRules
1LT Co. B 16th Signal Battalion
HTRules's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
131
Posts

 
Drives: Schwarz 2008 E92
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Where you'll run into trouble is if you want to buy out your lease and have them certify your car for the extended warranty.
If I understand you correctly your statement is both true and false:

One can buy an extended warranty for a "Dinanized" car;

Dinan cars are no longer eligible for the Certified Pre-Owned - CPO - program. Don't know why, and don't know if that will change in time.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
crfine88
Colonel
crfine88's Avatar
47
Rep
2,295
Posts

 
Drives: E86M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cave Creek AZ.

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Note to self: do not trust BMW reps.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
96
Rep
5,198
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRules View Post
If I understand you correctly your statement is both true and false:

One can buy an extended warranty for a "Dinanized" car;

Dinan cars are no longer eligible for the Certified Pre-Owned - CPO - program. Don't know why, and don't know if that will change in time.

Rick
I did say "certified" and not "CPO" but I was referring to BMW certifying the car as a CPO warranty eligible car which they will not do with Dinan mods.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
ZombiE92
Private First Class
ZombiE92's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
136
Posts

 
Drives: An automatic
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRules View Post
Many dealerships across the US are installing Dinan software and parts as of today.

Since the advent of BMW Performance I would desribe their relationship as friendly competitors.

Even if there was no relationship at all, Dinan "takes over" the car's 4-year warranty following installation of their software and/or parts, so you're covered in any case.

I've been a customer of both BMW and Dinan since 2002 and it's been all good, right up to and including present day.

Rick

+1. I've worked with several dealerships to get the Dinan software installed. As a matter of fact, I have an appointment tomorrow morning at BMW to get upgraded to the Stage 2 software.

If you do go through a dealer, just make sure he knows his Dinan stuff. Don't be fooled by a salesman...
__________________

E92 335i | Dinan S2 | BMS DCI | TiAL BOV | ETS FMIC
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
234
Rep
18,815
Posts

 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

I think BMW did a smart thing with their performance products.


I say that while I own the intake and exhaust, and am very happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
WillC310
Lieutenant
4
Rep
422
Posts

 
Drives: A car
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Aftermarket parts is a huge cash cow these days and I'm sure it was financially motivated for BMW to get in that market. The reality is, few aftermarket parts really case problems (sans super charger, but that's more intrusive) and BMW knows this. The funny thing is, they will use the excuse of aftermarket parts to not cover it under warranty. Truly a double edged sword in their favor now.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
MrFukengruven
Private
MrFukengruven's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
87
Posts

 
Drives: 1999 E36 //MThrizzle
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Norwalk, CT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1999 E36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Note to self: do not trust BMW reps.
agreed

Last edited by MrFukengruven; 08-01-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #16
HTRules
1LT Co. B 16th Signal Battalion
HTRules's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
131
Posts

 
Drives: Schwarz 2008 E92
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFukengruven View Post
agreed I have read that BMW has had too many issues with reliability of their cars due to DINAN upgrades (especially 135/335). A lot of cases involved overheating of the turbochargers but in my opinion are often more conservative than other companies when it comes to software/tuning because their boost pressure is less than that of those Burger Tuning and such... it's a shame because now I'm going to guess that "BMW Performance" won't offer any more ECU upgrades for their turbocharged vehicles?
I'm sorry Mr. Fuken - what does any of this mean?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #17
MrFukengruven
Private
MrFukengruven's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
87
Posts

 
Drives: 1999 E36 //MThrizzle
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Norwalk, CT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1999 E36 M3  [0.00]
sorry, wrong thread lol
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST