E90Post

Evolve Automotive

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3-Series "Dynamic Edition" Announced for South Africa

07-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator

Drives: E90 M3

Cool 3-Series "Dynamic Edition" Announced for South Africa

As reported on E90POST HOMEPAGE.

BMW recently announced a "Dynamic Edition" 3-series exclusively for the South African market. It will be a limited run 3-series and only 300 units will be produced. Three colors will be offered - Blue Water Metallic, Alpine White, and Space Gray. BMW Performance Carbon Fiber parts will be used extensively to compliment dark chrome wheels and tailpipes. The interior will be adorned with Blue Shadow Cloth and alcantara upholstery with royal blue stiching. Special floormats and door sills also come with the Dynamic Edition. Full BMW release below:

Quote:
Press Release: The new Dynamic Edition of the BMW 3 Series Sedan brings out the characteristic qualities of the BMW 3 Series in terms of driving dynamics more convincingly and impressively than ever before.

The BMW 3 Series Dynamic Edition is available only on BMW 320i, 320d and 335i models and is based on M Sport Model underpinnings.

The Dynamic Edition also makes extensive use of BMW Performance Carbon Fibre parts (front splitter, mirror caps and rear spoiler) which perfectly complement the dark chrome 18” alloy wheels, dark chrome tail pipes and Blue Shadow Cloth and alcantara upholstery with Royal Blue stitching. The model is further differentiated from other versions of the BMW 3 Series with special floor mats with Royal Blue piping and “Edition” door entry sill strips.

Furthermore, the BMW 3 Series Sedan Dynamic Edition is only available in Alpine White, Blue Water Metallic and Space Grey Metallic exterior paint colours and will be limited to just 300 units.

Innovative office and entertainment functions from BMW ConnectedDrive.

The wide range of services offered by BMW ConnectedDrive highlights the innovative character of the BMW 3 Series. Appropriately networked to its surroundings, the BMW 3 Series with ConnectedDrive offers both optimum comfort and safety as well as a wide range of useful entertainment functions.

In the 2010 model year the range of features provided by BMW ConnectedDrive is being expanded by additional functions – in part totally exclusive to BMW. The focus in particular is on the optimised integration of the mobile telephone and external entertainment devices into the car’s internal iDrive control system.
Name:  BMW_E90_08.jpg
Views: 6279
Size:  478.5 KB

Name:  BMW_E90_07.jpg
Views: 6293
Size:  416.6 KB

Name:  BMW_E90_06.jpg
Views: 6627
Size:  283.2 KB

Name:  BMW_E90_05.jpg
Views: 6204
Size:  438.3 KB

Name:  BMW_E90_04.jpg
Views: 6625
Size:  340.5 KB

Name:  BMW_E90_03.jpg
Views: 6170
Size:  416.1 KB

Name:  BMW_E90_02.jpg
Views: 6099
Size:  435.3 KB

Name:  BMW_E90_01.jpg
Views: 6458
Size:  306.1 KB

Name:  edition1.jpg
Views: 3698
Size:  42.2 KB
Name:  edition2.jpg
Views: 3710
Size:  54.5 KB
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
      07-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
xie-xie
Registered

Drives: e90 10 335xdrive

sexy!!
      07-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Blubaron79
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 435 XDrive

Again.... They never bring anything good to the US....
      07-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
RON1X
Colonel

Drives: 997.2 C2, '13 Audi Allroad

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
RON1X is offline   No_Country
      07-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 335xi - 92 MB 300E

Quote:
why is that always the case?
why is the US so limited in what they get?
Davin is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
      07-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
BTM
Banned

Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Reserving judgement until I see the wheels and a better pic of the tailpipes...
BTM is offline   United_States
      07-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Frosty
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)

Quote:
335i Coupe (6MT) (2007: 9/06 build, pre ordered, only owner): Space Grey / Black Leatherette / Grey Poplar trim / ZCW / ZSP / BMW assist w/ bluetooth / power rear shade / navi with iDrive / comfort access keyless entry /+homelink mirror/ 154,885+miles (Nov-12-2013)
.................................................. ......................
      07-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
GreekMaverick
El Greco Capitan

Drives: ///N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin View Post
BMWAG Is Pissed off w' The us market and the prices we pay (cheapest BMW market prices anywhere ???)...therefore they get us by not shipping LTD models over the pond ........My Idea of a reason anyways
      07-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
Frosty
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)

sheesh no wheels pic???? ~Frost
335i Coupe (6MT) (2007: 9/06 build, pre ordered, only owner): Space Grey / Black Leatherette / Grey Poplar trim / ZCW / ZSP / BMW assist w/ bluetooth / power rear shade / navi with iDrive / comfort access keyless entry /+homelink mirror/ 154,885+miles (Nov-12-2013)
.................................................. ......................
      07-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 335xi - 92 MB 300E

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekMaverick View Post
BMWAG Is Pissed off w' The us market and the prices we pay (cheapest BMW market prices anywhere ???)...therefore they get us by not shipping LTD models over the pond ........My Idea of a reason anyways
so if you make a request or have to pay extra for a particular model, would they ship it to you?
Davin is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
      07-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
BTM
Banned

Garage List
Quote:
Price differences between countries are due to the import/export tariffs BMW has to pay to get their products into these countries. Be thankful the US has a relatively low import tariff, or it could cost us $90,000 for a 335 like it does in Hong Kong. I doubt their profit margin varies much between countries.
      07-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider

Drives: E46M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Price differences between countries are due to the import/export tariffs BMW has to pay to get their products into these countries. Be thankful the US has a relatively low import tariff, or it could cost us $90,000 for a 335 like it does in Hong Kong. I doubt their profit margin varies much between countries.
But that doesn't explain the Germans paying twice what Americans pay for a BMW.
spiderz17 is offline   United_States
      07-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
bdardashti
Captain

Drives: '11 E90 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
That's not 100% of the story. If that was the only reason, BMWs wouldn't cost MORE in Germany than they do in the US. It's got to do with demand and competition as well.

I don't remember the details, but Heineken in the 80s started making a non-alcoholic beer (primarily aimed at the Middle East market, I believe) and there belief was the price it as cost + 20%. They would increase the 20% when transport was required. I don't remember the details (you can google Bucker for the case if interested in this stuff), but they were forced to sell it at lower prices in many European countries (Germany for example) because demand for the product was low. The details are much more intriguing than the way I've put it, but it was something like that. Costs don't always translate into prices.

I'm GUESSING BMW has lower demand in the US than they face in Germany and Europe, because people in Germany are much more likely to buy one of the German or at least European brands, where as more people in NA are accepting of domestic and Japanese brands.

Another reason (related to above) is that in the US there are many more substitutes for people. Of course, this is not the case in the case of cars like the Audi A3, where there are more substitutes in Europe than here, but in most cases, the average car has more subs here.

Last edited by bdardashti; 07-28-2010 at 01:10 PM.
bdardashti is offline   Canada
      07-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
BTM
Banned

Garage List
I didn't mean to limit that to just import tariffs, however for countries to ship to it is often a big contributor. Taxes (which tariffs are a form of) play a large role as well, I'm not an expert on German tax structure but as a tradeable good car prices equalize all things being equal, the differences come from certain (producer and consumer side) tax and tariff idiosyncrasies
      07-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
BTM
Banned

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderz17 View Post
But that doesn't explain the Germans paying twice what Americans pay for a BMW.
Germans aren't paying twice either. A 335i starts at 42,600 Euros, which is approximately $55,000 USD
      07-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 330xi, 335i

The SA dynamic edition, judging from the two photos, looks OK, except for the spoiler. It is hard to be more definite, the pictures do not show much of the car.
      07-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
Blubaron79
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 435 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davin View Post
Not available in the US, and I want: Regular 335 w/ DCT; 335d Coupe!!
      07-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #18
BTM
Banned

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
I'm GUESSING BMW has lower demand in the US than they face in Germany and Europe, because people in Germany are much more likely to buy one of the German or at least European brands, where as more people in NA are accepting of domestic and Japanese brands.

Another reason (related to above) is that in the US there are many more substitutes for people. Of course, this is not the case in the case of cars like the Audi A3, where there are more substitutes in Europe than here, but in most cases, the average car has more subs here.
I don't know the aggregate demand curves BMW faces in any country, but the correct action isn't to adjust price between markets, but to adjust supply. If they only adjusted prices, opportunities for private party arbitrage would quickly even out them anyway. Prices are set by the market, producers can only try and predict what the market price for their good will be as best they can. For tradeable goods, the market is global, and price discrepancies are due to the aforementioned public policies participants in the market are subject to.

Another thing to take into consideration is that mere aggregate prices do not tell the full story of how much something costs a given sample of consumers. How affordable a good is is also influenced by their income, income tax schedule, and their subsequent purchasing power parity.
      07-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #19
Thud
Throbbing Member

Drives:

Quote:

Well, we did get the special edition M3 with the special "primed and ready to paint" finish.

Previous cars:
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
      07-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #20
grieverr
Private First Class

Drives: '09 335 coupe

It may be that there is a minority of BMW drivers in the U.S. that mod their cars (again, that could tie into demand).

I was at a workshop for Dinan products and they mentioned that at one point, they made performance parts for all BMWs. But then as they got into numbers, they said that something like 5,000 units of an air filter (for example) would sell for an M5, but only 50 units for a 530i. They said that most people that mod or are enthusiasts usually buy the M cars (in this generation the 335 gets a lot of support).

So, taking that philosophy, I can see why BMW wouldn't bring these cars here if they're only going to sell 100 cars.
      07-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #21
saworldvoyager

Drives: Bmw 325i

More info and pics from the official BMW SA site:
http://www.bmw.co.za/products/automo...micedition.asp
      07-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #22
positiveions
Lieutenant General

Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
no doubt about it, some of the countries such as Singapore, Japan, HK have high tariffs. Similar to countries in the Middle east, they have 50% import tax; thus a car that cost 50k to import would end-up costing 75k.
Europe status requires that the population pay high taxes. Some of the countries like Sweden have such high taxes that the average person end-up using public transportation, or ride a bike.
I know for fact that-and that is speaking for Audi/Porsche-any dealer sells a brand new car in the US, and the individual decided to ship the car to Germany, that dealer will loose the retail license from Audi/Porsche.
Thus, we are lucky to pay such low prices; and beside we are the biggest market for some of these companies. They ought to tailor for us.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon