E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oh Crap, No Brakes

02-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
AZDAVEBROWN
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

Oh Crap, No Brakes

Starter has been going for some time. Very slow cranking. Stopped and got gas last week and only a click. Had to push it out of the way till a tow truck came.
Replaced the starter and fired it up yesterday. Started like it was brand new.
BUT now I have the brake light, DTC light, and DSC light on and no brakes. The peddle is hard, no travel. Feels the same as when pushing the car with motor off and trying to stop (getting it in position for tow truck).
I've checked all the electrical connections and vacuum lines, everything back to where it should be and no leaks.
Battery checked out also (took it in for testing).
Any thoughts or ideas before I have it towed to the shop?
I'm at wits end.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

You could have the trifecta, which is a failure of the DSC hydro pump, it's $4,200 at the dealer.

Or, you could have a sensor, which is much better....no way to know until you read the codes.

On the DSC hydro, it's wishful thinking that it cures itself, I know I was hoping for that. You can diy it though and it will cost well under $500 even if you need Rheingold and a Motive 109.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
PhaceN52B30
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 N52

Can you pull the codes with inpa or something similar? Errors came out after the starter replacement or after a few days? First tought was a vacuum leak on this one ( http://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...mall/pic14.jpg ), but if you checked 'em all... Is the vacuum pump making strange noises? Could it be a faulty brake pressure sensor?
EDIT: well anticipated
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
AZDAVEBROWN
Rep

Thanks guys. I'll double check the vacuum lines and the vacuum pump again.
I'll get it to the shop and find out more.
I'm just wondering if trying to start it when the starter failed I pulled the battery down enough to goof up the electronics. After it sat a couple of days before I had the battery checked the battery it came back to normal voltage and cranking amps.
I'll find out and repost the findings.
I hope it's not the trifecta.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 11:11 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

It must be a vacuum line. I lost my alternator a few months ago. Barely got home on the battery. Had brakes the whole time.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
racermp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i n55, e70 X5 35i n55

Sounds like booster. It's on the same side as starter
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #7
AZDAVEBROWN
Rep

Thanks to all that chipped in. Talk about STRESS, I stopped by my local Indy shop and posed some questions. Also asked if I could bring it in on Sat to have in plug in and tell me what the car had to say about the problem. In our discussion he stated it had to be a vacuum leak. I told him I had checked everything twice. He told me to check again.
He was right, what an ass I felt like. I found a leak on that damm plastic line. Replaced and fired it up. Had brakes but still had all the lights on the dash. So with brakes I headed over to the Indy shop. Half way down the block all the lights cleared. All this trouble for a vacuum leak. Still had him plug in and check. To my surprise, no hidden fault codes.
Alls well on my 208,000 miles 325I
Thanks again to all.
Appreciate 0