E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Review - Continental ContiSportContact 5P (and new BMW Performance 269 wheels)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Talking Review - Continental ContiSportContact 5P (and new BMW Performance 269 wheels)

Most of the forum regulars will know that I have been, for many years, a devout Michelin PS2 man. For my money, there was no better road tyre available that had as high levels of dry grip, driver feedback, stability and outright speed on a track. It was the only road tyre I found that could approach the qualities of a track tyre in terms of response and grip. Indeed if driving at a wet track, a PS2-shod car was often quicker and safer than a similar car shod with Toyo R888s. The downside of the PS2 was the excessively high cost and a lesser ability in the wet when compared to wet-specialist tyres like the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta and the Continental ContiSportContact 3.

Michelin have in the past few months sought to improve the PS2 and have launched the Pilot Sport 3. Unfortunately, the PS3 is not yet available in BMW 19" sizes and won't be until the middle of next year. Shortly after the PS3 was announced, Continental also announced their new ContiSportContact 5P tyre which they claimed had better levels of dry grip than the Michelin PS2, whilst retaining and improving in some areas the qualities of their wet weather performance.

Three weeks ago I ordered a set of the Continental 5Ps for my new 269 Performance wheels. I wanted to see whether the new tyres really were all they had been reported to be. It was a timely change as I was off to the 'Ring shortly after and instead of taking track tyres I thought I'd scrub them in during the drive over and really try them out in anger on the 'Ring.

First impressions - newly installed, the release compound on the rubber meant that there was substantially less grip than I expected, and the car was permanently understeering. It took maybe 200 miles for the tyres to start to key in, especially at the front.

Once lightly scrubbed the tyres started to come to life. There was a consistent and treacly quality to the front end grip - there was lots of feedback through the wheel, and whilst there wasn't such a massive amount of grip given the tyres were still new, it was clear that these tyres would not be lacking in the handling stakes.

By the time I got to the 'Ring the tyres were ready for a more severe workout. And the result? I was amazed at how vastly improved they are in comparison to the previous Sport 3s. They gripped and gripped, and even at the very limit of lateral handling they were progressive and announced the impending drift clearly and with plenty of time to control. They were as impressive as the Michelin PS2s which is no mean feat, and if anything had probably even more grip than the PS2s, although not as much feel around the straight ahead. Marcel, one of our 'Ring companions, even commented that he couldn't believe the speed and grip I managed to generate through the most technical corners.

I was also able to try out the wet weather performance in torrential rain on the autobahn on the way to Prague. It absolutely chucked it down monsoon style, and yet I had huge amounts of confidence and grip such that I was comfortably tanking along at 100mph in steaming rain without realising I was going that quickly! When braking hard the car tracked straight and true, meaning the tyres kept their shape well without deflection side to side.

Out in Prague I had to drive on the quite terrible and cobble-stoned roads and noticed that the ride quality was actually much improved over the PS2. The Continentals also seemed quieter on the autobahn, although that is very much a subjective thing as the roads in Germany are notably quieter anyway than the ones in the UK.

So the conclusion?? Absolute no-brainer - in my opinion the best tyre available on the market at the moment. Dry grip at least as good as the Michelin PS2, wet weather performance literally miles ahead of the competition, and eminently comfortable. Downside? Initial feel around the straight-ahead is not as high as I would have liked. They are sensitive to pressures - I've played around and have found 37/39psi front/rear seems to work very well. 39/41psi is a bit brittle on my car, whilst softening them down to 35psi on the front loses front-end accuracy. Tyre wear is also unknown at the moment.

Oh, and the best thing? Michelin PS2s in 19" sizes are around 1000 fitted. I paid 812, fitted and balanced, for the Continental 5Ps - 235/35 front and 265/30 rear.

Continental 5Ps get 5* from me!

They are available in standard 18" and 19" sizes - 225/40/18 & 255/35/18 - 225/35/19 & 255/30/19 - 235/35/19 & 265/30/19

The 18" sizes are designated MO - Mercedes OEM fitment, but they are suitable for BMWs as well because the load rating is higher than that required for our own cars.


Oh and by the way, I LOVE the new BMW Performance 269 wheels


Name:  _D3X2216 Edited sRGB 1000px.jpg
Views: 13580
Size:  471.9 KB

Name:  _D3X2219 Edited sRGB 1000px.jpg
Views: 9976
Size:  525.5 KB

Name:  _D3X2222 Edited sRGB 1000px.jpg
Views: 12657
Size:  534.5 KB

Name:  _D3X2223 Edited sRGB 1000px.jpg
Views: 10702
Size:  504.9 KB

Name:  _D3X2225 Edited sRGB 1000px.jpg
Views: 13397
Size:  553.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,288
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Sounds great Tony, and I presume they come in factory sizes also...!?

I found the Conti 3's fantastic, 2nd only (and a close 2nd) to the PS2's. I can only imagine how good these bad boys are!!
__________________
M3 gone .... But I now have a M3 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
CHG
Lieutenant
CHG's Avatar
United Kingdom
10
Rep
530
Posts

 
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Around the UK

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Sounds great Tony, and I presume they come in factory sizes also...!?

I found the Conti 3's fantastic, 2nd only (and a close 2nd) to the PS2's. I can only imagine how good these bad boys are!!
Yes, factory sizes too for 18" and 19" wheels -

225/40/18 & 255/35/18 (MO Mercedes fitment, but also suitable for BMW as load ratings are higher than that required for our cars)

225/35/19 & 255/30/19

235/35/19 & 265/30/19
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Great news Tony,

I'm having mine fitted next week.

Yves
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
toxicnerve
Colonel
41
Rep
2,834
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Interesting, I will be keen to hear how they wear.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
willhollin
Major General
willhollin's Avatar
England
123
Rep
9,918
Posts

 
Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Car looks ace Tone.

Are the new alloys lighter then the 230s? Does that make much of a difference?

Photos of the new lip as well?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
willhollin
Major General
willhollin's Avatar
England
123
Rep
9,918
Posts

 
Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
PS Did you get the wheels from Soper's?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Car looks ace Tone.

Are the new alloys lighter then the 230s? Does that make much of a difference?

Photos of the new lip as well?
The 269s are about a kilo lighter per wheel. It does make a difference as the lighter unsprung weight means less work for the suspension to control. Whether that can be felt in normal driving is debatable - the weight saving is not enough to make a noticeable difference. However when tracking a car the lighter wheels are very noticeable as the car is more agile under turn-in.

New lip soon
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
PS Did you get the wheels from Soper's?
Yes, I paid 65,999.99 for them - they were an amazing deal
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
toxicnerve
Colonel
41
Rep
2,834
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Where did you buy the rubber from mate?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Where did you buy the rubber from mate?
Elite

www.elitedirect.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
The 269s are about a kilo lighter per wheel.
Thought I'd be really sad and weigh my bare Alufelgens.

According to the bathroom scales, front rim weighs 19.8lbs and rear 22lbs.

How does that measure up to the 269's?

Cheers

Yves
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
cdb
Private First Class
cdb's Avatar
1
Rep
124
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK

iTrader: (1)

I love those wheels! I'm currently torn between a set of those or a set of VMR VB3 for the Blue Saloon, don't think the budget will stretch to the michelin rubber - shame though this is a great review for them
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesD View Post
Thought I'd be really sad and weigh my bare Alufelgens.

According to the bathroom scales, front rim weighs 19.8lbs and rear 22lbs.

How does that measure up to the 269's?

Cheers

Yves
Hard to say as I measured my wheels off a hanging scale as opposed to a set of bathroom scales that aren't big enough!! The rears weighed in at 22.6lbs and the fronts at 20lbs
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #16
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
102
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb View Post
I love those wheels! I'm currently torn between a set of those or a set of VMR VB3 for the Blue Saloon, don't think the budget will stretch to the michelin rubber - shame though this is a great review for them
You mean the Continentals, not the Michelin, yes ?!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #17
YvesD
Lamininist
YvesD's Avatar
United Kingdom
12
Rep
898
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Hard to say as I measured my wheels off a hanging scale as opposed to a set of bathroom scales that aren't big enough!! The rears weighed in at 22.6lbs and the fronts at 20lbs
Simliar as to make no difference then.

Very nice rims those 269's.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
parapaul
Colonel
parapaul's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
2,216
Posts

 
Drives: E91 330d M Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stoke on Trent

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Great write up, Tony and those wheels...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #19
SteveF1
Captain
SteveF1's Avatar
United Kingdom
13
Rep
626
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Its good to know these bad boys work as two days ago I bought a set to be fitted this coming Friday.

I bought blind really as they are so new there are very few reviews out there.

I got mine as stock sizes for 19" wheels and paid around 775 fully fitted at home from event tyres.

Nice to know they work!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #20
Saucepan
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
41
Posts

 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YORKSHIRE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Most of the forum regulars will know that I have been, for many years, a devout Michelin PS2 man. For my money, there was no better road tyre available that had as high levels of dry grip, driver feedback, stability and outright speed on a track. It was the only road tyre I found that could approach the qualities of a track tyre in terms of response and grip. Indeed if driving at a wet track, a PS2-shod car was often quicker and safer than a similar car shod with Toyo R888s. The downside of the PS2 was the excessively high cost and a lesser ability in the wet when compared to wet-specialist tyres like the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta and the Continental ContiSportContact 3.

Michelin have in the past few months sought to improve the PS2 and have launched the Pilot Sport 3. Unfortunately, the PS3 is not yet available in BMW 19" sizes and won't be until the middle of next year. Shortly after the PS3 was announced, Continental also announced their new ContiSportContact 5P tyre which they claimed had better levels of dry grip than the Michelin PS2, whilst retaining and improving in some areas the qualities of their wet weather performance.

Three weeks ago I ordered a set of the Continental 5Ps for my new 269 Performance wheels. I wanted to see whether the new tyres really were all they had been reported to be. It was a timely change as I was off to the 'Ring shortly after and instead of taking track tyres I thought I'd scrub them in during the drive over and really try them out in anger on the 'Ring.

First impressions - newly installed, the release compound on the rubber meant that there was substantially less grip than I expected, and the car was permanently understeering. It took maybe 200 miles for the tyres to start to key in, especially at the front.

Once lightly scrubbed the tyres started to come to life. There was a consistent and treacly quality to the front end grip - there was lots of feedback through the wheel, and whilst there wasn't such a massive amount of grip given the tyres were still new, it was clear that these tyres would not be lacking in the handling stakes.

By the time I got to the 'Ring the tyres were ready for a more severe workout. And the result? I was amazed at how vastly improved they are in comparison to the previous Sport 3s. They gripped and gripped, and even at the very limit of lateral handling they were progressive and announced the impending drift clearly and with plenty of time to control. They were as impressive as the Michelin PS2s which is no mean feat, and if anything had probably even more grip than the PS2s, although not as much feel around the straight ahead. Marcel, one of our 'Ring companions, even commented that he couldn't believe the speed and grip I managed to generate through the most technical corners.

I was also able to try out the wet weather performance in torrential rain on the autobahn on the way to Prague. It absolutely chucked it down monsoon style, and yet I had huge amounts of confidence and grip such that I was comfortably tanking along at 100mph in steaming rain without realising I was going that quickly! When braking hard the car tracked straight and true, meaning the tyres kept their shape well without deflection side to side.

Out in Prague I had to drive on the quite terrible and cobble-stoned roads and noticed that the ride quality was actually much improved over the PS2. The Continentals also seemed quieter on the autobahn, although that is very much a subjective thing as the roads in Germany are notably quieter anyway than the ones in the UK.

So the conclusion?? Absolute no-brainer - in my opinion the best tyre available on the market at the moment. Dry grip at least as good as the Michelin PS2, wet weather performance literally miles ahead of the competition, and eminently comfortable. Downside? Initial feel around the straight-ahead is not as high as I would have liked. They are sensitive to pressures - I've played around and have found 37/39psi front/rear seems to work very well. 39/41psi is a bit brittle on my car, whilst softening them down to 35psi on the front loses front-end accuracy. Tyre wear is also unknown at the moment.

Oh, and the best thing? Michelin PS2s in 19" sizes are around 1000 fitted. I paid 812, fitted and balanced, for the Continental 5Ps - 235/35 front and 265/30 rear.

Continental 5Ps get 5* from me!

They are available in standard 18" and 19" sizes - 225/40/18 & 255/35/18 - 225/35/19 & 255/30/19 - 235/35/19 & 265/30/19

The 18" sizes are designated MO - Mercedes OEM fitment, but they are suitable for BMWs as well because the load rating is higher than that required for our own cars.


Oh and by the way, I LOVE the new BMW Performance 269 wheels


Attachment 414038

Attachment 414039

Attachment 414040

Attachment 414041

Attachment 414042
Hi E92Fan.....great review, cheers. I may well go for these as I need to change my run flats. I am a bit confused regarding the width of trye I should opt for though?! I have 19" 230's on my 335d. I read somewhere on this forum that if I go for slightly wider tryes (265/30/19) than my current run flats (255/30/19) then my extended warranty will be invalid should anything happen to my suspension. Also it is suggested my insurance may be invalid as wider tryes are not the correct ones for the wheel.
Initially I was going to get the Vreds or Falkens but my understanding is that these dont come in 255/30/19. I was hoping you (or anyone) could please shed some light on the matter as I clearly don't know anything about cars....I just like driving nice fast ones!
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #21
cdb
Private First Class
cdb's Avatar
1
Rep
124
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oxfordshire, UK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
You mean the Continentals, not the Michelin, yes ?!!!
Sorry yes - Continentals..

Last edited by cdb; 08-02-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 04:53 AM   #22
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
3
Rep
363
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i SE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Slough, London UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Are these summer only tyres? You know any tyres good for all year round?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST