E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > non-computer indicated maintenance question

09-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
roastbeast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E90 328i

non-computer indicated maintenance question

i know that inspections 1 and 2 are no longer used and that you rely on the car telling you what to get serviced, but what about parts of the car that won't come up, like the suspension system?

what are the parts of the car that would need to get serviced/replaced that would not be indicated by the car's computer? is there a maintenance schedule for this?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
BMW_Belgier
Lieutenant Colonel
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: E92 335xi n55

Actually there is a maintenance plan for every part...

Look in your IDrive: You will see a "general inspection"...
      09-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

There are definitely things not monitored/mentioned by iDrive that can wear out. Check out Mike Miller's Old School BMW Maintenance Schedule for some examples. For suspension components like control arms and dampers, you ideally find out you need to replace them when a good mechanic tells you ("good" being tells you slightly proactively but not absurdly early when there's only the tiniest bit of wear just so he can make a buck), or of course if you wait long enough you'll find out because your car rides very poorly. Suspension is tough to design an interval for because it varies hugely with usage, like tires which aren't monitored and brakes which primarily use a wear sensor and only have the mileage interval as an estimate. And of course, the more sensors BMW added to monitor stuff, the more weight, cost, and complexity that adds to the car, and the more reputation BMW would get for selling high-maintenance vehicles.

Funny story about suspension maintenance though. Harris Hill Road is a track out here that has a pretty harsh bump along its straightaway due to the earth shifting under the pavement over the years (I've heard it's just been fixed). Anyway, there was an E39 M5 at a track day there whose rear dampers must have been totally shot because every time he went over it, his rear end bounced like a freaking trampoline! I'm talking at LEAST 6 inches of suspension travel and 6 full up-and-down cycles before his rear end settled down again.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
roastbeast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Belgier View Post
Actually there is a maintenance plan for every part...

Look in your IDrive: You will see a "general inspection"...
i wish i had IDrive...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
roastbeast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
There are definitely things not monitored/mentioned by iDrive that can wear out. Check out Mike Miller's Old School BMW Maintenance Schedule for some examples. For suspension components like control arms and dampers, you ideally find out you need to replace them when a good mechanic tells you ("good" being tells you slightly proactively but not absurdly early when there's only the tiniest bit of wear just so he can make a buck), or of course if you wait long enough you'll find out because your car rides very poorly. Suspension is tough to design an interval for because it varies hugely with usage, like tires which aren't monitored and brakes which primarily use a wear sensor and only have the mileage interval as an estimate. And of course, the more sensors BMW added to monitor stuff, the more weight, cost, and complexity that adds to the car, and the more reputation BMW would get for selling high-maintenance vehicles.

Funny story about suspension maintenance though. Harris Hill Road is a track out here that has a pretty harsh bump along its straightaway due to the earth shifting under the pavement over the years (I've heard it's just been fixed). Anyway, there was an E39 M5 at a track day there whose rear dampers must have been totally shot because every time he went over it, his rear end bounced like a freaking trampoline! I'm talking at LEAST 6 inches of suspension travel and 6 full up-and-down cycles before his rear end settled down again.
i just downloaded the schedule - looks like a great source of information, thanks!

wow, i'd hate to have been in the back seat of that m5...would have been like goose hitting the f-14 canopy after ejecting in top gun.
Appreciate 0