E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Will installing RB turbos fix turbo issues?

07-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
chi123
Enlisted Member

Drives: Lexus IS350

Will installing RB turbos fix turbo issues?

As I mentioned in another post, I'm considering an 07-08 E92 335xi. Most I've seen are in the 70-90K mile range. I understand that the factory warranty on the turbos will end at 82K miles. Say that I find one out of warranty, will upgrading to RB turbos fix issues that I may face like the wastegate rattle? Also, do they fit on the AWD models? This is probably one of the things holding me back from buying a 335xi, it's between this and a 12 WRX for a little more.
      07-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
V8bait
Private First Class

Drives: e92 335i 6mt

Rb and vtt turbos feature upgraded wastegates. If you use them conservatively both have great life expectancy, and both are cheap to rebuild after initial investment. If you push them they will typically fail sooner than stock but provide a much improved kick to the pants over stock for the life of them. A 12 WRX isn't even a comparison unless it's a STi, in which case the STi will be slower than even stock turbo's, less refined, but probably lots of fun as a driver.
      07-03-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
bmwmike
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

One of my turbo pressure vacuum regulators is bad, which caused my rattle and lag, so i am replacing both. I agree with v8bait, however, remember to factor in that a 2007 or 2008 335i will probably cost you more in maintenance than a 2012 WRX ( i'm guessing based on age). I have spent $4,000 so far this year on maintenance and about $4,000 last year (outside of a warranty). I don't drive my car hard and everything is age related failures.
      07-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #4
chi123
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike View Post
One of my turbo pressure vacuum regulators is bad, which caused my rattle and lag, so i am replacing both. I agree with v8bait, however, remember to factor in that a 2007 or 2008 335i will probably cost you more in maintenance than a 2012 WRX ( i'm guessing based on age). I have spent $4,000 so far this year on maintenance and about $4,000 last year (outside of a warranty). I don't drive my car hard and everything is age related failures.
I honestly want a 335xi but I'm hearing so many bad things about it's reliability. I plan on using it as a daily driver but it will see less than 5K miles a year though. I do have mechanical experience and work on my car myself for just about everything unless it's warranty or if I need a lift, I know of lots of techs who can help me out lol. My current car is an 07 Lexus IS350 and it's out of warranty. I did blow my engine but Lexus was nice enough to foot the $12K repair bill even though my warranty ended. I'm considering the WRX even though it'll cost $5K more than the 335xi and will never have as much power but I'll have a warranty and won't get stuck in snow. I just don't have money to spend on replacing stuff constantly now that I'm starting nursing/med school this upcoming fall. Stuff breaks down but $4K in repairs every year!?
      07-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
bmwmike
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Doing maintenance yourself and buying parts in the US would definitely cut 2/3's off my cost. I had a cracked valve cover, bad front O2 sensors, bad pressure regulator, bad fuel regulator, bad fuel injectors, and corroded oil cooler core for items this year (so far). However, those items should last another 100k km's.
      07-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
tjobeid
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i coupe

get a 335i 08 will be bit less problematic than 07. I have an 07 had it over a year. most my problems came due to me raping the car with mods and e85 but i have experience with cars and honestly has not been that bad. My most expensive repair was my water pump. 500$ in parts with thermostat. Buy one drive it when turbos fail if they have not already been replaced upgrade to RB and be done with it car is a blast when modded
      07-04-2014, 05:06 AM   #7
335is808
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335is

lol wrxs are slow as a joke. But i understand that early year 335is are very problematic.. decisions decisions.. 335is are a hit and miss, some rarely have problems and just need reg maintenance and some are just migraines.
      07-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #8
derryck
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

How did you blow the engine on the Lexus? They're very reliable and if you're having issues with a Lexus I would steer clear of BMW. While RBs will resolve wastegate rattle they will expose other weaknesses if they haven't been addressed like OEM charge pipe, any coil/injector issues, etc. The 335 is a great car and can be very reliable if you stay on top of things but purchasing an older one without a verifiable maintenance history can be expensive especially if you're planning on getting upgraded turbos. FBO + RBs + coils can get expensive and that's assuming you don't break or expose anything else in the process.
derryck is offline   United_States
      07-04-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
chi123
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
How did you blow the engine on the Lexus? They're very reliable and if you're having issues with a Lexus I would steer clear of BMW. While RBs will resolve wastegate rattle they will expose other weaknesses if they haven't been addressed like OEM charge pipe, any coil/injector issues, etc. The 335 is a great car and can be very reliable if you stay on top of things but purchasing an older one without a verifiable maintenance history can be expensive especially if you're planning on getting upgraded turbos. FBO + RBs + coils can get expensive and that's assuming you don't break or expose anything else in the process.
Although I would hope that I don't have to, I don't mind replacing the turbos since I know I want either VTT or RB turbos one day, I just don't want them to go bad right after dumping the money on buying the car and face a $4K repair. Water pumps, fuel pumps, injectors, coil packs, I know they go bad over time.

The IS350 had a valve spring recall. It was done before I purchased my car when the previous owner gave it up. I was trying to "keep up" with an M5 I saw and when I pushed it, I heard a loud pop and a hole broke open on the side of the engine. When Lexus took it apart, they found a rocker arm snapped in half, a valve spring broken and dislodged from its seat, and a valve with abnormal carbon buildup. The IS has direct and port injection so it should not have carbon problems. The tech pretty much tied it with the recall thinking that the spring popped out it's seat, the valve couldn't open/close properly, and when I pushed it keeping up with the M5, the rocker arm snapped and caused all the damage.
      07-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Pr335bob
First Lieutenant

Drives: Black on black e92

4k in repair? If I ever got stuck with a bill like that I'd repair and sell immediately. I've had my 07 335since 2008 13k miles. Currently has 68k largest bill I've had is 450 for tranny oil filter leak. I guess I'm lucky. But I do what I can by myself. I.e. injectors, valve cover gasket, sparkplug etc. This car is not perfect but it is fun as hell. But I tell you if you don't have the time and don't have the money to get it done by someone else go with the wrx, you'll have fun it's also a great car and you'll have a warranty and like you said won't be stuck in d snow. Or search for a cpo one. If you do decide to get one try to get one that's one owner and never been in a major accident.
      07-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
Pr335bob
First Lieutenant

Drives: Black on black e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
Very true the key is to stay on top of it. And check history. Someone who took care of their BMW, or has other BMWs will most likely have taken care of it. A 335 is not for someone who is not into cars. You can't neglect it like a corolla. Those cars go basically forever with just oil change.
      07-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
vase330
Colonel

Drives: E92 335i ; 14 RangeRover SSC

What are you guys talking about? Wastegate rattle on stock turbos was solved by BMW back in 2009. They replaced my turbos and it has never been a issue again. As far as reliability, if you live in a nasty roads area your control arm bushings will need to be changed. Other than that N54 pretty bulletproof. I have been running around with my mods for 5yrs now. Once the initial bugs on the N54 were all fixed, I haven't had any issue. Just oil chafe every 5 miles and gas thats it. I honestly can't complain. In fact if I had been having issues this car would be gone by now. I would have traded it when I got the Range Rover last month. Or traded it earlier for something else. I threw on blizzarks for winter and thing was a like a snow plow. No issues except bushings due to nasty man-sized pot holes everywhere last winter.