E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 3-series Plant (Rosslyn) Closed Due to Strike

08-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator

Drives: E90 M3

Unhappy BMW 3-series Plant (Rosslyn) Closed Due to Strike

As reported on E90POST HOMEPAGE.

BMW's Rosslyn Plant in South Africa is currently closed due to the strike by the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa, and will remain closed until the strike is over. The Rosslyn plant currently produces BMW 3-series vehicles for the local market and for export to the USA, Canada, sub-Saharan Africa, Japan, South-East Asia, Australia and New Zealand. 3-series are however produced in other BMW plants around the world, including Leipzig, Munich, Jakarta, Regensburg, Chennai, and Selangor.

We hope that the resolution is a quick one so as not to affect any of E90POST member's orders!

Quote:
BMW, GM, Toyota and others stop production in South Africa as strike begins

August 11, 2010

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) -- South African autoworkers seeking wage increases more than triple the inflation rate went on an indefinite strike today, slamming the brakes on auto production in Africa's largest economy.

The powerful National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa, which represents 31,000 autoworkers, said it had rejected employers' offer of a 7 percent increase in the first year and a raise equal to consumer price inflation in the remaining two years.

The union is demanding a 15 percent wage increase, well above inflation, which was at 4.2 percent in July.

"The employers should come on board because we have been negotiating with them for a period of more than two months now. Nothing has come out concretely out of those negotiations," union spokesman Castro Ngobese said.

NUMSA has asked an industry group -- which represents seven companies including Volkswagen AG, Toyota Motor Corp., Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co. -- for a one-year agreement guaranteeing a 15 percent wage rise.

The other companies are Nissan Motor Co., BMW AG and Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz division.

The South African unit of German carmaker BMW said its local plant was closed as today until the strike was over.

"There is no way we can build cars without workers. There is no contingency plan in place," said Guy Kilfoil, a BMW spokesman in South Africa, adding he hoped the strike will be resolved soon through the Automobile Manufacturers Employers Organization, an industry group.

More talks

The Automobile Manufacturers Employers Organization said it had agreed to hold more talks.

"We have agreed to a further negotiations session on Thursday in Port Elizabeth for the next day or two," said Chris Thexton, the group's chairman.

Thexton said carmakers have either shut plants or seen production reduced to a trickle.

"I think the attendance levels or people reporting for duty despite the strike are up to 25 percent or even 35 percent in some cases," said Thexton.

Numsa said about 6,000 workers in tire manufacturing are not going to strike.

A strike could have a big impact on a South African auto industry that is already struggling to remain competitive and was poised for a recovery after two years of weak sales.

Motor vehicle production in South Africa is expected to hit 443,000 units in 2010 from 374,000 last year, according to the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers.

South Africa's government sees auto manufacturing as a key industry to help boost growth and jobs and has tried to help carmarkers build up exports.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz0wKnGY6Vz
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
      08-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
bavarian19
General

Drives: Car

Im sure it will be resolved.
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
      08-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
brocken
Captain

Drives: 335i

Does this sound familiar at all....?
      08-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Frosty
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)

...soon the only country with steel will be china

~Frost
335i Coupe (6MT) (2007: 9/06 build, pre ordered, only owner): Space Grey / Black Leatherette / Grey Poplar trim / ZCW / ZSP / BMW assist w/ bluetooth / power rear shade / navi with iDrive / comfort access keyless entry /+homelink mirror/ 154,885+miles (Nov-12-2013)
.................................................. ......................
      08-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
EHDEN
Brigadier General

Drives: 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
glad I got mine in June before the strike! haha
      08-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Barbera335
First Lieutenant

Drives: F25

No real loss, the Rosslyn cars are usually subpar to the German cars anyway.
      08-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
WWONG
Banned

Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHDEN View Post
glad I got mine in June before the strike! haha
Looks like you have the 335is coupe.... I thought only the sedans were produced in Africa...
WWONG is offline   United_States
      08-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
bavarianboar
Major

Drives: on the freeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
Site THE source of your information?

2014 335i MSport Mineral Gray Metallic, Coral Red, Premium/Cold Weather/Dynamic Handling. 19" 403M wheels, Sport Auto, Delivery: 10/18

2011 328i Sedan. Deep Sea Blue/Oyster. Gone but not forgotten.
bavarianboar is offline   United_States
      08-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
SteveMD
Colonel

Drives: '12 X5 50i, '11 GTI DSG

Garage List
2012 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Um...no, they're not. I'm driving one.
2011 VW GTI/DSG
SteveMD is offline   United_States
      08-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
sarafil
First Lieutenant

Drives: '11 335xi

Quote:
Typical (dumb) response.

Having owned a number of 3-series made in Germany and one made in South Africa, I can say with certainty that the one made in South Africa was actually the best of the bunch. It was well put together and definitely the most reliable.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 Mini Cooper S JCW -- 2006 MZ4 Roadster -- 2002 325i Sedan -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
      08-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Cuz5150
Major

Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Strike at S. Africa plan?...........No problem, move production to the US some of our 30Million unemployed can have a job.

or, second

Move it back to Germany, doesn't Germany Historically have outrages high unemployment???

04-M3 vert-Black/Imolla/6MT/Cold/Xenon/HK/
06-M3 Cp-Mystic/Black/6MT/Comp/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
      08-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
erio
Captain

Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

I guess this will lead to a delay in the production of the 25 anniversary edition M3.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415322
erio is offline   United_States
      08-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
akack79
riDIRKulous

Drives: F32 435i

Garage List
2014 F32 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
Looks like you have the 335is coupe.... I thought only the sedans were produced in Africa...
my thoughts too......all 3er coupes and M3s and made in Germany while some non-M 3er sedans are made in S Afria ???
      08-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Barbera335
First Lieutenant

Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafil View Post
Typical (dumb) response.

Having owned a number of 3-series made in Germany and one made in South Africa, I can say with certainty that the one made in South Africa was actually the best of the bunch. It was well put together and definitely the most reliable.
Not really a dumb response, just in my experience I have seen minor trim fasteners and what not improperly installed. Reliability does'nt really change reguardless of where the car is produced. As major components such as engines, transmissions, electronics, etc are not produced at the assembly plant. If you compare paint finishes the orange peel is more pronounced on the SA cars. I prefer the German or Spartanburg cars to SA cars. My first 328 ws built in SA and all of the fasteners that hold the driver's rocker moulding in place were not properly installed and the orange peel had way more texture. When I special ordered my 335 I requested it be built in Germany and it was manufacured at Regensburg, it had none of these assembly issues and the paint quality was far better. Also SA cars still come with battery switches when all other cars from all other plants do not. I see these cars every day so I do know a little about what I'm talking about.
      08-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #15
lkw15
Major

Drives: 2011 e90 328i

Garage List
2015 M3  [5.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [5.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i Pre ...  [5.00]
Quote:
Not really a dumb response, just in my experience I have seen minor trim fasteners and what not improperly installed. Reliability does'nt really change reguardless of where the car is produced. As major components such as engines, transmissions, electronics, etc are not produced at the assembly plant. If you compare paint finishes the orange peel is more pronounced on the SA cars. I prefer the German or Spartanburg cars to SA cars. My first 328 ws built in SA and all of the fasteners that hold the driver's rocker moulding in place were not properly installed and the orange peel had way more texture. When I special ordered my 335 I requested it be built in Germany and it was manufacured at Regensburg, it had none of these assembly issues and the paint quality was far better. Also SA cars still come with battery switches when all other cars from all other plants do not. I see these cars every day so I do know a little about what I'm talking about.
There has been a great deal of discussion about this before, and the consensus was that the S. African cars have not been of any less quality than cars made in Germany - and in fact - there were some statistics that showed the cars made in SA were actually a bit more uniformly produced (less variances among final units produced). There was even someone that worked at the plant that was on these boards some time ago. In addition, apparently the SA plant won has won awards and also set various benchmarks in quality and productivity for BMW plants all over the world.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57258

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382213

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346157

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111516

In any event, hopefully the strike issue gets worked out sooner rather than later - or some people are going to be really pissed (I know I would be)!

Last edited by lkw15; 08-11-2010 at 08:47 PM.
lkw15 is offline   United_States
      08-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
SLCGoonski
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 335i

I'd like a 15% raise...
08 335i e90 TiAg/Black, Premium, Sport, Step, Cold Weather, BMW Perf. shifter/e-brake, M3 lip spoiler, blacklines, aFe intake, VMR 710s, Gloss black vinyl trim, black 3.5" DiMisa tips, Procede V5, ar Design OCC, ETS 5" intercooler (black), MTech wheel, rear bumper, and side skirts, Stett CP, Forge DVs, LUX 5.1, Ground Control Coil-overs, OEM split armrest, Raceland catless DPs, BIM Coded...
      08-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F30 (on its way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCGoonski View Post
I'd like a 15% raise...
Tell me about it, my 3% raise was nice.
      08-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #18
Imola.ZHP
No car payments...

Drives: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
^ instead of my usual 3% raise last year, I got a big 0% raise, oh, but they did raise the cost of my insurance, so I'm taking home less than I was...

Still happy to have a job though...

Marcus
-- 330i ZHP
-- Build Date 03/03/03
Imola.ZHP is offline   United_States
      08-12-2010, 02:42 AM   #19
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
I personally think that u are breaking wind through your mouth (keyboard)! Sorry! Oh...lkw15 beat me to it with the info. Do a little bit of homework before passing such misinformed statements. You make yourself look very one dimensional. Just an observation!

Last edited by Mu Mu; 08-12-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Mu Mu is offline   South Africa
      08-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #20
aacabriolet
Captain

Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
I can agree with this statement from what I have seen. (I live in South Africa)
aacabriolet is offline   South Africa
      08-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #21
DiVinci
Inspired

Drives: F22 Raptor

Same old same old...

strikes are fast become the norm over here. Whenever you're unhappy with something. find a cardboard box, write some stupid shit on it and run down the road like an uncivilised prick. Just don't forget to sing pointless songs and make ridiculous demands.

Once they give in and meet the demands, then go back to work and do what you've been doing since you were hired.... NOTHING
DiVinci is offline   No_Country
      08-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #22
TotalPower
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

...soon the only country with steel will be china

~Frost
You clearly didn't see that Chinese workers are striking too and jobs are going to Malaysia, Philipines, and to lower wage countries as China companies have accepted up to 25% wage increase...