E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > AC grinding bearing noise

11-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
Meeni
Gateropode

Drives: BMW 330i 06

AC grinding bearing noise

My car started making a strange "wiiiiiiiirrrr" noise when accelerating. The noise changes with rpm, is more pronounced at 1k-2k and mutes after 3k rpm. Shutting down the AC silence it completely.

My AC blows cold, but not ice cold like it did years ago.

I replaced the tensionner, belt and idler pulley recently (not that recently that I suspect doing it wrong is the source of the problem). All roller bearings where shot on these items (>100k miles).

Now, I suspect that the AC clutch or the AC compressor itself are the problem. That sounds expensive. Any ideas on preventive actions I can take to fix the issue before the AC compressor seize and cost me 1k$?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General

Drives: E90

Are you sure it is just not the blower motor? They fail on these cars pretty regularly. If it is the AC pump, you are SOL. The clutch is not replaceable only the whole unit is serviceable. Maybe recently the clutch has become available aftermarket, but it I've not seen it.
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode

Drives: BMW 330i 06

I am not sure. The noise seem to come from the belt area, but I'm not sure yet. You know of some conclusive test?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Zack77
Private

Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I believe a bad tensioner or pully could definitely make this kind of sound. I'd check that first since it's relatively cheap. Could be that it's only existent/noticeable when the ac is on due to an added load.
Appreciate 0