E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > BMW Extended Vehicle Protection Warranty Prices



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #111
mik_82
Lieutenant
mik_82's Avatar
7
Rep
419
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,TX

iTrader: (1)

I am looking to buy an extended warranty for my 06 E90 330i from BMW and i was told by my SA that since my car is already out of factory warranty (52,000 miles) i only qualify for the basic power train plus warranty. Can some one suggest whats a decent price for the power train plus warranty for 2yrs/24k miles or 3yrs/36k miles?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #112
Assmanof
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (0)

I'm also out of factory warranty but only by a couple months. Just got this car a couple weeks ago and need to get a warranty for it. Probably why the previous owner wanted out. Only have two dealerships in Vegas I called them both. The guy at Sahara said they don't do quotes over the phone, whatever, your commission buddy. And the Henderson lady wanted $2450 for 3yr power train only BMW warranty or $2995 for 3yr full coverage from an aftermarket warranty they sell. The car only has 22k miles but the don't care about that. 4 year cutoff then that's it.

I also emailed a few other BMW dealerships across the country but have not got a reply back yet. I am also wanting to know what a good price is on out of warranty policy would be.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #113
mik_82
Lieutenant
mik_82's Avatar
7
Rep
419
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,TX

iTrader: (1)

Just spoke with the finance manager at BMW of Macon and he offered the following prices for powertrain plus:
1yr/12k miles - $1190
2yr/24k miles - $1490
3yr/36k miles - $1840
Which he said is only $250 over invoice and no tax. Is this a good deal?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #114
Kruz
Major
Kruz's Avatar
12
Rep
1,066
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Guys...there is a lot of good info in this thread. As a baseline, the MSRPs are listed. Compare that with what folks are listing as the prices they paid and on a percentage basis you can estimate what the powertrain prices are. Unfortunatley, most folks here grab the ext warranty before the man warranty expires so you wont see much talk about it.
__________________
07/07 E90 335xi SG
Black Dakota|Alum|ZSP|2AB|ZPP|ZCW|Nav|CA|6FL|PDC|Blackli nes|3M
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #115
Assmanof
Private
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Any reason to get the BMW power train over the aftermarket warranty? On my 335i the HPFP is covered for 10 years. Only thing I can think of that may be an issue is the injectors, wastegate, and maybe the turbos. Are these parts that likely to fail before 50k miles? All I'm saying is the power train only sounds kind of limited. I wish the PO didn't wait until the warranty was up before putting it up for sale.

I had an aftermarket warranty before but I never had to use it the whole time I had it. But since the dealership itself is the ones selling them I would imagine they would honor it. At least that's what the finance person told me. Also the deductible is $100 per visit, not a big deal if the repair is major however.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #116
pdub335
Private
pdub335's Avatar
4
Rep
77
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335 e92
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Elk Grove

iTrader: (0)

It looks like a lot of you are buying the gold over the platinum. Does everyone feel that the Idrive and stereo system are the least likely systems to fail? I'm just thinking the cost to replace the Idrive would be big, but then again I highly doubt that it would fail. All of these warranties are a gamble I guess. Anybody get a good price in Northern CA?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #117
samsamwu
Private First Class
4
Rep
125
Posts

 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

I got a quote from an aftermarket warranty co. that tells me i can go to any shop including dealers and in fact they said they encourage us to go to the dealer
my car is n54 , 3.5 yrs old, 35k miles
quote $800/yr with a $100 deductable
this is for 5 yrs and either up to 75k miles or 75k more miles
What do you think of this deal and has anyone gotten this or similar offer?

i should state that i have already had my HPFP, all injectors, 1 spark plug, and both turbos replaced, supposedly these parts now have another 2 yrs warrantied right?

Last edited by samsamwu; 03-18-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #118
335i4Louie
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: E93 vert
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

* 2008 335i Vert, AT, Sports, Premier
* Platinum package 7/70K, $3900, (no tax)
* Gold package 7/70K, $3450 (no tax)
* BMW of Mountain View, CA


* 2008 335i Vert, AT, Sports, Premier
* 75K/2016(from now), $3900+ (no tax)
* APC (aftermarket)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #119
aus
Major General
118
Rep
7,420
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i4Louie View Post
* 2008 335i Vert, AT, Sports, Premier
* Platinum package 7/70K, $3900, (no tax)
* Gold package 7/70K, $3450 (no tax)
* BMW of Mountain View, CA


* 2008 335i Vert, AT, Sports, Premier
* 75K/2016(from now), $3900+ (no tax)
* APC (aftermarket)
Were you able to compare/contrast the aftermarket with teh BMW?
My only concern with an aftermarket one is if they go out of business.

Also, I'm sure it's here, but could someone tell me the difference between the Gold and Platinum? Does one cover the waste gate and turbos? How about the gunk on the valves that builds up?
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #120
YoungGuna86
Lieutenant
YoungGuna86's Avatar
9
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Howard Beach, NY

iTrader: (3)

Spoken to a few friends with Older 3 series models. I have decided the it is not worth buying this warrnaty especially if you have a low mielage car (i curently have 24k)

Good friend has 90k miles and has only done brakes which is not even fully covered in the gold package.

Ive decided to gamble and prepare for 3k in issues over the next 2 yrs. My bet is it will be less.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #121
biosundr
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i x, 2008 335i E93
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i4Louie View Post
* 2008 335i Vert, AT, Sports, Premier
* Platinum package 7/70K, $3900, (no tax)
* Gold package 7/70K, $3450 (no tax)
* BMW of Mountain View, CA


* 2008 335i Vert, AT, Sports, Premier
* 75K/2016(from now), $3900+ (no tax)
* APC (aftermarket)
Curious to know if this covered the convertible top and motors or not. I shopped around for other after market warranties, and there was only one that covered the convertible top motors, but could not find one that said it would cover everything. That was around $4k for the gold package for 4 years/48k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #122
mugendc5
Private First Class
1
Rep
149
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: flagstaff,az usa

iTrader: (0)

Nice info
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #123
335i4Louie
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: E93 vert
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosundr View Post
Curious to know if this covered the convertible top and motors or not. I shopped around for other after market warranties, and there was only one that covered the convertible top motors, but could not find one that said it would cover everything. That was around $4k for the gold package for 4 years/48k miles.
No. All what i've been quoted cover motors only, not the hard top. I finally settled with Platinum Plan for $3500 -- 7yr/70K, for my E93.

I think, to get the best deal, you must talk to the finance manager in person. Phone call quotes always give me higher prices, even higher than the MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #124
335i4Louie
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
38
Posts

 
Drives: E93 vert
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Were you able to compare/contrast the aftermarket with teh BMW?
My only concern with an aftermarket one is if they go out of business.

Also, I'm sure it's here, but could someone tell me the difference between the Gold and Platinum? Does one cover the waste gate and turbos? How about the gunk on the valves that builds up?
My above two quotes include BWM and Aftermarket. Same price but aftermarket plan has longer term.

Platinum has additional coverage of NAV, DVD, Sound system....

All plans cover turbo and waste gate as said by the finance manager whom i talked to. but this was just what he said. I haven't see any document so far. It's supposed to receive the document within 30 days after you purchase the plan.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #125
TMANN
New Member
0
Rep
18
Posts

 
Drives: '07 335i c; '95 M3; '12 X5d
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Yardley, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuna86 View Post
Spoken to a few friends with Older 3 series models. I have decided the it is not worth buying this warrnaty especially if you have a low mielage car (i curently have 24k)

Good friend has 90k miles and has only done brakes which is not even fully covered in the gold package.

Ive decided to gamble and prepare for 3k in issues over the next 2 yrs. My bet is it will be less.
This is a great point...nowhere in this thread have I seen the question, "is the extended warranty worth it?" Does anyone have a horror story to tell about how they were hosed with a major repair bill outside of the orginal warranty? You'd think spending $45K on a car, it would at least be as reliable as a $20K Honda?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #126
Neutrino45
Major
Neutrino45's Avatar
26
Rep
1,446
Posts

 
Drives: XXX
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: milky way

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMANN View Post
This is a great point...nowhere in this thread have I seen the question, "is the extended warranty worth it?" Does anyone have a horror story to tell about how they were hosed with a major repair bill outside of the orginal warranty? You'd think spending $45K on a car, it would at least be as reliable as a $20K Honda?
Hey, the reason is the extended warranty worth it or not hasn't been discussed is because that's not the purpose or the goal of this thread. There are plenty of threads for that.

People coming to this thread has already decided that they want to purchase an extended warranty. They're simply looking to see where is the best deal for it. Let's keep the other stuff off of this thread and focus on where the best prices are!

. . .
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #127
Neutrino45
Major
Neutrino45's Avatar
26
Rep
1,446
Posts

 
Drives: XXX
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: milky way

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Also, I'm sure it's here, but could someone tell me the difference between the Gold and Platinum? Does one cover the waste gate and turbos? How about the gunk on the valves that builds up?
You can find this information by looking on BMW's web site. If it's not there, you can call your dealer and they can give you a copy of the contract to show you what's covered or not covered. I would rather see it in writing than to have someone on the net telling me what's covered or not.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #128
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
21
Rep
1,754
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I can tell you that that grid above appears to be over MSRP. Nobody should pay above MSRP, you can get MSRP from anybody. Keep the prices honest, before your original warranty runs out, have a finance manager at any dealership read your key. A grid with MSRP will be spit out. Once you see those prices, you will have a starting point with which to work with. It's not as easy as buying a new car, but some dealerships will discount 10-20%, sometimes over the phone.
I agree, though the grid is not uniform. Just got some quotes from BMW of San Francisco for my '08 335i sedan, they show "MSRP" as follows: 6 yr, 100K platinum = $3,380; 7 yr/100K gold = $3,490, plat=$3,900.

These are $50 deductible prices, the manager there claimed other options no longer available.

The finance manager there was willing to take $200 of the MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #129
chucktang
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: '07 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMANN View Post
This is a great point...nowhere in this thread have I seen the question, "is the extended warranty worth it?" Does anyone have a horror story to tell about how they were hosed with a major repair bill outside of the orginal warranty? You'd think spending $45K on a car, it would at least be as reliable as a $20K Honda?
more expensive, more complex components, generally don't equate to more reliable.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #130
revlimit
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
247
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I can tell you that that grid above appears to be over MSRP. Nobody should pay above MSRP, you can get MSRP from anybody. Keep the prices honest, before your original warranty runs out, have a finance manager at any dealership read your key. A grid with MSRP will be spit out. Once you see those prices, you will have a starting point with which to work with. It's not as easy as buying a new car, but some dealerships will discount 10-20%, sometimes over the phone.
I agree, though the grid is not uniform. Just got some quotes from BMW of San Francisco for my '08 335i sedan, they show "MSRP" as follows: 6 yr, 100K platinum = $3,380; 7 yr/100K gold = $3,490, plat=$3,900.

These are $50 deductible prices, the manager there claimed other options no longer available.

The finance manager there was willing to take $200 of the MSRP.


I was tilde by my SA that the gold 6/100k is no longer available. Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #131
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
21
Rep
1,754
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlimit View Post
I was tilde by my SA that the gold 6/100k is no longer available. Can anyone confirm?
Apparently not. Got told the same thing by BMW of SFO and a couple other dealers. You can still get Platinum for 6/100, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #132
revlimit
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
247
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Apparently not. Got told the same thing by BMW of SFO and a couple other dealers. You can still get Platinum for 6/100, though.
What's the best price anyone got for the 6/100k platinum for 335i?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST