E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oyster maintenance and Durability? Ordering. HELP!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
bavarianboar
Major
bavarianboar's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,374
Posts

Drives: on the freeway
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Oyster maintenance and Durability? Ordering. HELP!

Tough question. I know color is a personal preference, but still looking for some opinions on maintenance, durability of the following color combos.

Deep Sea Blue 335d with Sports Package.

I am a person who takes care of his belongings very well and is particular about keeping things in order and clean.

I have doubts about Oyster, though I really like it, I heard you can see scuff marks on the sports seats with regular daily use and they dont go away that easily and are even hard to clean.

I wear Jeans almost 90% of the times.

Saddle Brown or Oyster or Beige? This is my primary concern! I think all look good with Deep Sea Blue, though Beige is not so sporty.

Opinions, suggestions, experiences, please!

Thanks a lot guys! Can't wait to place order.

Last edited by bavarianboar; 07-20-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
dday
Captain
12
Rep
856
Posts

Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

I'm about to pull the trigger on deep sea with oyster on a 335xi, I saw the oyster in person and fell in love.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
bavarianboar
Major
bavarianboar's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,374
Posts

Drives: on the freeway
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on deep sea with oyster on a 335xi, I saw the oyster in person and fell in love.
Great! any other alternatives you considered?
_____________

I am still waiting on hearing what is more practical.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
VTECaddict's Avatar
86
Rep
4,992
Posts

Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA

iTrader: (4)

Oyster looks amazing but I would go for Saddle if only for easier upkeep.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR | OEM Blacklines | M-tech rear | custom dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | BMW Performance rep spoiler
Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
Vector Pilot's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: 2014 Z4 28i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago Metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Tough question. I know color is a personal preference, but still looking for some opinions on maintenance, durability of the following color combos.

Deep Sea Blue 335d with Sports Package.

I am a person who takes care of his belongings very well and is particular about keeping things in order and clean.

I have doubts about Oyster, though I really like it, I heard you can see scuff marks on the sports seats with regular daily use and they dont go away that easily and are even hard to clean.

I wear Jeans almost 90% of the times.

Saddle Brown or Oyster or Beige? This is my primary concern! I think all look good with Deep Sea Blue, though Beige is not so sporty.

Opinions, suggestions, experiences, please!

Thanks a lot guys! Can't wait to place order.
Deep Sea Blue 335d with Sports Package and you're in Santa Barbrara, Oyster-!!

Vector Pliot
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
bavarianboar
Major
bavarianboar's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,374
Posts

Drives: on the freeway
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Pilot View Post
Deep Sea Blue 335d with Sports Package and you're in Santa Barbrara, Oyster-!!

Vector Pliot
Is it because of the sunny region of the country, you say Oyster?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
GFX MIK3
Second Lieutenant
GFX MIK3's Avatar
11
Rep
283
Posts

Drives: e92 2008 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bedford, Ny

iTrader: (1)

my mom bought and x5 in febuary with deap sea with saddle brown and i fell in love soo much it convinced me to pull the trigger on a 335xi with monaco blue with saddle brown interior.
soo +1 for saddle brown
__________________
2008 e92 335xi 6mt monaco blue with saddle brown interior.
List of Mods: BBS lm reps, CSL Trunk, M-Tech rear bumper,Muffler delete with DiMisa 4" Tips, 10% Tint,
Black grills,Jb4, DCI, KW V1
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
07E92TT
Major
07E92TT's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,337
Posts

Drives: 08 C63
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orlando,FL

iTrader: (1)

I LOVE the way dark blue looks with the brown interior. Such a great contrast. I bought mine used and have yet to see another one with the same color combo in person. Beige is very ugly IMO and oyster looks really good but i've heard its a hassle to upkeep.
__________________
Car: 2008 E90 SG/Black/Dark Burl (sold)
2008 MB C63 P.Silver/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
Bmoney2K4
Captain
50
Rep
794
Posts

Drives: 04 Lexus GS 300
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California

iTrader: (0)

Saddle brown makes your car feel more luxurious. It looks relaxing to look at and is pretty rare to find. Also, the stitching looks nice on the color of the leather.

Last edited by Bmoney2K4; 07-20-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
bavarianboar
Major
bavarianboar's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,374
Posts

Drives: on the freeway
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I like the Saddle Brown too. I want a sport look, and might go with AL trim with Saddle Brown.

Burl Wood with Oyster. AL does not go well.

Any Oyster Users with maintenance and durability issues? Please, comment! I am torn between these two colors and need to order soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
cbs21
New Member
3
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 328
Join Date: May 2010
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

saddle brown itself looks really good but it looks awkward next to every available trim, imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
kyleJB328
coast2coast
kyleJB328's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
201
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 SG/OY-'08 E70 BS/B
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 02108-Boston

iTrader: (0)

The oyster is beautiful- but I wear jeans 90 % of the time as well.. and my best friends passenger seat has blue all along the edges from getting in and out. The drivers seat looks bad too- We ordered leatherique.... so hopefully that will work. I have beige interior- what I love about it is that it makes the E90's interior feel more spacious and bright.... I really am happy about the color. + 1 on deep sea blue... great color!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
kyleJB328
coast2coast
kyleJB328's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
201
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 SG/OY-'08 E70 BS/B
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 02108-Boston

iTrader: (0)

Btw, I just got out of a Touareg with saddle interior, and it held up very well! The only thing I did not like about it was how dark the interior felt. With the black dash/carpets/door panels, it felt dark even on the sunniest day. Everyone loved the color though, except a couple of my friends who were very conservative... "black does not go with brown... blah blah" haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
dday
Captain
12
Rep
856
Posts

Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Great! any other alternatives you considered?
_____________

I am still waiting on hearing what is more practical.
i considered black too, black dash and carpets are must for me so beige was out. The saddle is interesting but but when I saw the oyster it really popped.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
bavarianboar
Major
bavarianboar's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,374
Posts

Drives: on the freeway
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs21 View Post
saddle brown itself looks really good but it looks awkward next to every available trim, imo.
Very True.

Except Aluminium trim kind of goes with it, but not for everyone. I have second thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleJB328 View Post
The oyster is beautiful- but I wear jeans 90 % of the time as well.. and my best friends passenger seat has blue all along the edges from getting in and out. The drivers seat looks bad too- We ordered leatherique.... so hopefully that will work. I have beige interior- what I love about it is that it makes the E90's interior feel more spacious and bright.... I really am happy about the color. + 1 on deep sea blue... great color!!!
Hopefully cleaning and some maintenance help. Wonder if this is same issue with Beige or it is more forgiving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleJB328 View Post
Btw, I just got out of a Touareg with saddle interior, and it held up very well! The only thing I did not like about it was how dark the interior felt. With the black dash/carpets/door panels, it felt dark even on the sunniest day. Everyone loved the color though, except a couple of my friends who were very conservative... "black does not go with brown... blah blah" haha.
Agree with the rest of it being black!

Black goes with Brown, perhaps they just dont like it


Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
i considered black too, black dash and carpets are must for me so beige was out. The saddle is interesting but but when I saw the oyster it really popped.
Any problems with maintaining Oyster so far, or you have not laid your hands on your car yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
Zirenz2006's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
3,330
Posts

Drives: 12' F30 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: US - RI

iTrader: (0)

I have had Saddle and currently have Oyster. I love them both.

I have had my car with Oyster for about 16 months. I have cleaned the front seats maybe 3 times. I have only done the back seats once because they hardly get used.

If you like Oyster I would get it. When you think about it, how much effort does it really take to clean and condition the seats once in a while?

I love the color and have gotten many compliments on it.

It is worth the occasional maintenance to me.

Also the nice thing about Oyster vs Beige is that it is two tone so there are less areas that will show the dirt since your carpet is black and parts of the doors as well.

I would see Beige as requiring more upkeep.

Good luck!
__________________
Current: F30 328i Sport Line Sapphire Black|Black-red

Retired: '09 E90 335i M-Sport AW|Oyster, '07 E92 335i Graphite|Saddle, '05 E60 545i TiAg|Black, '01 E46 325i Jet Black|Black
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #17
Thud
Throbbing Member
22
Rep
1,434
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

Beige in a bmw is rather uninteresting, which is a shame because it works really well in other cars... Porsche does beige right.

I also think gray could be nice if done right, but BMW gray interiors just seem to be gloomy, like a cloudy drizzly day. Black is the only unicolor interior that looks decent, but I don't want an all-black interior so I gotta stay with the two-tones.

I test drove a 335d with oyster.... it is phenomenal, by far my favorite interior color. The ONLY reason I will probably go with saddle brown is because of long-term upkeep.

Saddle brown also looks great, but the only trim I can tolerate with it is aluminum.
__________________
2014 Tesla Model S 85kwh
Previous cars:
2011 335d / Deep Sea Blue / Saddle brown / sport / premium
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #18
bavarianboar
Major
bavarianboar's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,374
Posts

Drives: on the freeway
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
I have had Saddle and currently have Oyster. I love them both.

I have had my car with Oyster for about 16 months. I have cleaned the front seats maybe 3 times. I have only done the back seats once because they hardly get used.

If you like Oyster I would get it. When you think about it, how much effort does it really take to clean and condition the seats once in a while?

I love the color and have gotten many compliments on it.

It is worth the occasional maintenance to me.

Also the nice thing about Oyster vs Beige is that it is two tone so there are less areas that will show the dirt since your carpet is black and parts of the doors as well.

I would see Beige as requiring more upkeep.

Good luck!
Great! As I said, I keep my things nicely, would not mind cleaning it up at all. 3 times a year is really very simple.

thanks!

what trim do you have with oyster? Dark or Light Burl? Or maybe AL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
Beige in a bmw is rather uninteresting, which is a shame because it works really well in other cars... Porsche does beige right.

I also think gray could be nice if done right, but BMW gray interiors just seem to be gloomy, like a cloudy drizzly day. Black is the only unicolor interior that looks decent, but I don't want an all-black interior so I gotta stay with the two-tones.

I test drove a 335d with oyster.... it is phenomenal, by far my favorite interior color. The ONLY reason I will probably go with saddle brown is because of long-term upkeep.

Saddle brown also looks great, but the only trim I can tolerate with it is aluminum.
Precisely my thoughts on Saddle Brown with AL Thats the only one that works for me!

Oyster is the way to go. Leaning towards Light Burl trim. but confused if Dark burl is better. They are not VERY different but the grain of the wood adds some touch. Thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #19
kyleJB328
coast2coast
kyleJB328's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
201
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 SG/OY-'08 E70 BS/B
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 02108-Boston

iTrader: (0)

def get light burl if you're getting oyster... it looks great!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #20
bavarianboar
Major
bavarianboar's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,374
Posts

Drives: on the freeway
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleJB328 View Post
def get light burl if you're getting oyster... it looks great!
I thought so too, thanks! Think I will go that path.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #21
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
Vector Pilot's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
465
Posts

Drives: 2014 Z4 28i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago Metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Is it because of the sunny region of the country, you say Oyster?
My Z4 and 335i both have black interiors because the weather sucks in Chicago for 8 months out of the year and it trashes out the interior. Trust me anywhere else I'd select a different combination. BTW, BMW always features Oyster with Deep Sea Blue because it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #22
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
Zirenz2006's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
3,330
Posts

Drives: 12' F30 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: US - RI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Great! As I said, I keep my things nicely, would not mind cleaning it up at all. 3 times a year is really very simple.

thanks!

what trim do you have with oyster? Dark or Light Burl? Or maybe AL?

:
I have Aluminum. I always had wood trim so I wanted to try something different this time.
__________________
Current: F30 328i Sport Line Sapphire Black|Black-red

Retired: '09 E90 335i M-Sport AW|Oyster, '07 E92 335i Graphite|Saddle, '05 E60 545i TiAg|Black, '01 E46 325i Jet Black|Black
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST