E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2011 328 transmission - different than 2007?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #67
PostModernHero
Private
PostModernHero's Avatar
1
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 MSport E91
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Renton WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erman View Post
told you that you will never find you have a zf tranny because none of you do-get on with your life. for 230 hp does it really matter
You sir, are an ignoramus. You cannot state for a fact that a condition will last in perpetuity simply because it hasn’t changed for a period in time. In fact it has… remember that initially the “lower end” E90 (2006 325i) had the ZF transmission. I have already pointed out the supply side issue of consolidation as the 6 speed autos are being phased out. Whatever… I don’t care what your thoughts are (as I’m sure no one else does) on the matter. I am not trying to prove that the 328i I’m about to order is “worthy”. Your point of contention here is simply childish and as such, ridiculous. However, it *is*worth noting here, if in fact they have switched production over to ZF transmissions exclusively late in the production cycle. This I will do. All you have succeeded in proving to the fine members of this forum is how thick your skull is.

You have already deleted at least one of your blathering moronic posts in this thread… what are you going to do when I actually present the evidence? Again, I have no issue and could care less if all I find under that panel is a GM transmission.

Pound sand, 5erman…
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #68
rja328
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i xdrive coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

I have an Oct build 2011 328ix coupe. Had it into an independent shop last week for an early oil change (1700 mi). While it was on the lift I asked him to take a look at the transmission - he said it was a GM. Sticker also says transmission is Made in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #69
5erman
Banned
13
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: black 5 series
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rja328 View Post
I have an Oct build 2011 328ix coupe. Had it into an independent shop last week for an early oil change (1700 mi). While it was on the lift I asked him to take a look at the transmission - he said it was a GM. Sticker also says transmission is Made in Germany.
i rest my case-

get it through your head people you have a GM tranny. If you guys say you dont care than why get so concerned about this ? If you think the GM tranny is awesome as you all say than why so defensive and angry? I personally would not pay for a bmw to have a GM tranny slapped in-I would expect the best tranny available in a sport-luxury car which is ZF-they are the leader. When people speak of silky smooth bmw's that includes a zf tranny with their inline 6 engines. Not a GM tranny. It is noticably jerkier and not as smooth and frankly not top shelf stuff. I am confused why the 325 got the zf, otherwise it makes sense to give the lowest model in the bmw lineup the lower cheaper tranny but that logic doesnt make sense since the 325 got the zf.

Either way enjoy your GM tranny and stop compliaining if you love it so much!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #70
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,523
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erman View Post
i rest my case-

get it through your head people you have a GM tranny. If you guys say you dont care than why get so concerned about this ? If you think the GM tranny is awesome as you all say than why so defensive and angry? I personally would not pay for a bmw to have a GM tranny slapped in-I would expect the best tranny available in a sport-luxury car which is ZF-they are the leader. When people speak of silky smooth bmw's that includes a zf tranny with their inline 6 engines. Not a GM tranny. It is noticably jerkier and not as smooth and frankly not top shelf stuff. I am confused why the 325 got the zf, otherwise it makes sense to give the lowest model in the bmw lineup the lower cheaper tranny but that logic doesnt make sense since the 325 got the zf.

Either way enjoy your GM tranny and stop compliaining if you love it so much!
What are you talking about? I test drove more than 10 different cars in the same category, the 328i was as smooth as it can get compared to the others, the DS mode is a true sport mode, drives like an MT, unlike some other brands. The tranny in the 328i was one of the reasons I picked the 328i over all the others, whatever the trannies, I am sure some of them even had a ZF tranny.

Your problem is you cannot separate brand name from performance quality. The GM tranny in the 328i is a very capable tranny, the different feel is just the design characteristics, even if you replace it with a different brand of tranny.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #71
GreenThree
Colonel
GreenThree's Avatar
51
Rep
2,070
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Very interesting thread. Thanks to all the contributors. The AT in my 2008 328xi is very clunky and could be alot smoother. Sometimes during 1-2 shifts, my e90 feels like its getting a swift kick to the ass the clunk is so noticable. I was shocked to find this in a 328. Brought it to the dealer twice for a computer reprogram. Fixed the issue temporarily, but in the end its still pretty bad. One of the reasons I ordered a 6MT this time around is because of my poor experience with the AT.
__________________

2013 328i Xdrive | AT | Glacier Silver | Black Leatherette | Htd Seats | Moonroof
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #72
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,523
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Sounded to me it was just your tranny though. I read another member had a similar issue but he had a Z with a ZF tranny.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #73
PostModernHero
Private
PostModernHero's Avatar
1
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 MSport E91
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Renton WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erman View Post
i rest my case-
Of course you do. But I am not taking the word of some oil-changing monkey who may be just as ignorant, or just doesn't know the difference by eyeballing. I will look for myself.

Hopefully I will be taking delivery on Friday, and will know for sure this weekend. Whatever the result, I will post it here...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #74
Saintor
Colonel
Saintor's Avatar
31
Rep
2,391
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

iTrader: (1)

And now we know why possibly there are no more GM trannies in E9X. A judiciary issue and it has nothing to do with the quality of the tranny.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/court_gm_plant_100909/
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #75
5erman
Banned
13
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: black 5 series
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
And now we know why possibly there are no more GM trannies in E9X. A judiciary issue and it has nothing to do with the quality of the tranny.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/court_gm_plant_100909/
It doesnt say that-it just eludes there may not be benefit to a lower price GM tranny compared to ZF if they cannot produce the proper tranny that can cooperate with start/stop and drive by wire at the new plant-this is 2010. Given 2010 cars and later clearly have GM tranny's I am sure the new plant figured it out.

Probably why some of you see "made in germany" on your new GM trannies. They likely had a stock pile of bought ones already or somehow the trannies are being finished in germany and being labeled as "german" instead of "france" that it was with older GM's

This even says GM trannies are cheaper which is why bmw was buying them for their cheap models. It says the zf were more pricey-hence using in better models.

If someday they cannot use a cheaper tranny in the lowest end models-taht means the lowest end model will lose other stuff to cut cost--not sure it has much standard but may revert to cloth interior for example and no cubholders.


I challenge anyway to go drive a 330 and a 328 and not tell me the tranny in the 330 is a totally different and much more capable and smoother tranny

keep us posted when your car is delivered and you look and see GM for yourself
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #76
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,523
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erman View Post
If someday they cannot use a cheaper tranny in the lowest end models-taht means the lowest end model will lose other stuff to cut cost--not sure it has much standard but may revert to cloth interior for example and no cubholders.
Stop your nonsense already. While BMW did cut some items for 2011 it also added some real good options for free for example 17" wheels and free premium pack which includes free leather. I will take the 17" wheels over a lighter any day.

The same complaints about the tranny response and smoothness can be found by Z and 335 owners too, that has been the point we are trying to get through your thick scull, the throttle response and smoothness have nothing to do with the tranny, rather to do with the software design BMW made for D/DS/S modes. The sporty base BMW models such as the 328i, Z and 335 are designed to be sporty, not for total comfort. It separates our BMWs from a Lexus or an MB, and from your 5.

Last edited by dtc100; 01-01-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #77
5erman
Banned
13
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: black 5 series
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

so where was the guy who was "going to check his tranny" this week. Figure he would be there with his tail between his legs.

finally we can all agree to put this at rest. the 328 never has or ever will in the e90 have a zf tranny. It is 100 percent general motors
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #78
PostModernHero
Private
PostModernHero's Avatar
1
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 MSport E91
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Renton WA

iTrader: (0)

Um, no. Carrier truck broke down over the weekend... no delivery. Maybe tomorrow.

5erman- I pity anyone who would blindly follow your word. I, for one, am not so easily snowed. If you had some kind of inside information, that would be one thing. You obviously don't, and thus... it's idiotic for you to say with such certainty.

The issue is that we have conflicting evidence. If the sticker still said "FRANCE", I would not even question. Now, piss off...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #79
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,523
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernHero View Post
Um, no. Carrier truck broke down over the weekend... no delivery. Maybe tomorrow.

5erman- I pity anyone who would blindly follow your word. I, for one, am not so easily snowed. If you had some kind of inside information, that would be one thing. You obviously don't, and thus... it's idiotic for you to say with such certainty.

The issue is that we have conflicting evidence. If the sticker still said "FRANCE", I would not even question. Now, piss off...
Well he has always tried to talk shit about the 328, even though most his points had been refuted, now the only thing he can hang his hat on is this GM AT tranny thing, even though there is no evidence that the GM tranny is any less capable.

He is determined to win at least one point, even if winning such point really means next to nothing to us 328 owners
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #80
5erman
Banned
13
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: black 5 series
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernHero View Post
Um, no. Carrier truck broke down over the weekend... no delivery. Maybe tomorrow.

5erman- I pity anyone who would blindly follow your word. I, for one, am not so easily snowed. If you had some kind of inside information, that would be one thing. You obviously don't, and thus... it's idiotic for you to say with such certainty.

The issue is that we have conflicting evidence. If the sticker still said "FRANCE", I would not even question. Now, piss off...
Um.. did you not read the article posted above? It said their contract with GM was expired to produce units in the france plant in 2010 and that means selling their remaining inventory out of germany I suspect thus labeled german
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #81
PostModernHero
Private
PostModernHero's Avatar
1
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 MSport E91
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Renton WA

iTrader: (0)

You can't tell me German workers are now assembling GM transmission parts. Aside from the posibility that a whole host of contractual stipulations would be violated... economically, that would not be feasible when there is already a ZF plant they can draw from. A more likely scenario would be if they moved an entire stock of completed transmissions, in which case the origin would still have to say FRANCE.

Last edited by PostModernHero; 01-04-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #82
PostModernHero
Private
PostModernHero's Avatar
1
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 MSport E91
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Renton WA

iTrader: (0)

GA6L45R

OK. Well… the car came in last night, and the results are in. I managed to stick my arm under there and snap this picture:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #83
PostModernHero
Private
PostModernHero's Avatar
1
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 MSport E91
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Renton WA

iTrader: (0)

No doubt about it… that is a GA6L45R oil pan. So, even though the origin for the transmission says GERMANY on the window sticker, this is in fact a GM transmission. Evidently, there must be another GM plant besides the one in France? Again, I don’t think they would (or could) make these at the ZF plant…
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #84
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,523
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernHero View Post
No doubt about itÂ… that is a GA6L45R oil pan. So, even though the origin for the transmission says GERMANY on the window sticker, this is in fact a GM transmission. Evidently, there must be another GM plant besides the one in France? Again, I donÂ’t think they would (or could) make these at the ZF plant
Could be because of the dispute with the plant in France, BMW moved the operation to one of the plants in Germany?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #85
dmaccioc
New Member
United_States
3
Rep
29
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Thanks PMH, you finally got an answer!! Enjoy the new wheels. Well done!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #86
5erman
Banned
13
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: black 5 series
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

thanks for clarifying to end the long-debated thread!

I really think the sticker is germany because when the france production closed or bmw stopped using them, they likely took their stock and did the final assembly of them at their own BMW operations in germany. If it is assembled in germany than they put germany on the source. Doesnt matter if they got the parts from france.

Enjoy the new car!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #87
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,523
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erman View Post
thanks for clarifying to end the long-debated thread!

I really think the sticker is germany because when the france production closed or bmw stopped using them, they likely took their stock and did the final assembly of them at their own BMW operations in germany. If it is assembled in germany than they put germany on the source. Doesnt matter if they got the parts from france.

Enjoy the new car!
I never thought I would say this, but hey I agree with you
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
auto trans, gm and zf

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST