E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Cup Holder GPS Mount

01-06-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
collinp
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 330i

Cup Holder GPS Mount

I've seen only a few post about folks mounting their GPS' in the cupholder. Most seem to be going the vent clip route. I really like my cupholder setup, so I thought I'd post pictures. The high cup holders are the perfect height for the GPS. I only use the GPS occasionally, so having something that lives in the glove box and can be set up quickly fits my usage well. The biggest downside is the length of time the GPS takes to lock on to the satellites. A built in system would be more likely to know where you car is quickly when you need it.

- Collin

The RoadMate 760:

The standard RoadMate mount points:

A Belkin XM cupholder mount:

It happens to fit the RoadMate perfectly:

Into the cupholder:

Installed :

When you're done it fits in the glove box :

You can even fit it still assembled if you position it right.
      01-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Holeinoneboy
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinp
I've seen only a few post about folks mounting their GPS' in the cupholder. Most seem to be going the vent clip route. I really like my cupholder setup, so I thought I'd post pictures. The high cup holders are the perfect height for the GPS. I only use the GPS occasionally, so having something that lives in the glove box and can be set up quickly fits my usage well. The biggest downside is the length of time the GPS takes to lock on to the satellites. A built in system would be more likely to know where you car is quickly when you need it.

- Collin

The RoadMate 760:

The standard RoadMate mount points:

A Belkin XM cupholder mount:

It happens to fit the RoadMate perfectly:

Into the cupholder:

Installed :

When you're done it fits in the glove box :

You can even fit it still assembled if you position it right.
Pretty cool!

Off topic... do i see an iPod in your glove box? If so, is that the BMW iPod interface? Does it work well?

2014 Q5 TDI - S Line Glacier White Sports Select / Tiptronic Technik / B & O / Black Interior / 20" 5 Arm Wheels /
Holeinoneboy is offline   Canada
      01-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
collinp
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeinoneboy
Pretty cool!

Off topic... do i see an iPod in your glove box? If so, is that the BMW iPod interface? Does it work well?
Yup that's the iPod adapter. I've had it since August. Apparently mine was the first BMW SF had done on an E90. It was a must have for me and I'm happy with it. It could be better, but most of its issues are general issues with the 3 series audio system (my first 4 cons below). To get a feel for what it's like I would recommend burning an MP3 CD and playing with it. The iPod interface fakes out the CD changer input, so the interface is basically the same.

Navigation on iDrive is, not surprisingly, much nicer/easier than on my non-iDrive car. This might be enough to get me to purchase iDrive next time. (That and the fact that the legal warning no-longer needs to be manually dismissed.) Amusingly, my car is a pre-Sept. model, so if I had gotten iDrive I might have had no-iPod adapter at all! (or have they addressed that by now?)

Pros :
- Giant jukebox in your car.
- Steering wheel controls for track skipping.
- Song information and navigation on your head unit.
- Much better audio quality than the aux input jack. (all digital vs. analog)
- Hidden in glove compartment. Nothing to manually hide when parking the car. Some don't like it here, because it can be a bother if you remove it frequently. In my case however this is essentially a dedicated "car iPod" so I only remove it for updating songs.

Cons:
- Random and Title display are turned off when you restart the car (general audio system issue).
- Random is not random when you hit next or prev track manually (general audio system issue).
- Folder navigation is a bit confusing at first (general audio system issue).
- (Related) Folders are only 1 level deep, so if you choose by artist you just get a song list, not a list of albums. (general audio system issue).
- Can take a while to load song information when car first starts. It can be many seconds before music will start. (iPod specific issue).
- Unless car is restarted very quickly, play will resume at the beginning of the last song played. This means if you are running several short errands you are likely to hear the beginning of the same song over and over again.
- Navigation on the non-iDrive cars is limited by the 2 line display and the response of the tuning knob. iDrive interface is much easier to navigate.

Other:
- Some feel the interface is pricey. I forget, but I think it was around $500 installed. I suppose it's a bit costly, but we're BMW owner's here; no one should be too impoverished. Have you replaced those bloody run-flats yet? Now that's pricey.
- The artist, album, etc. views are just labeled CD 1, 2, etc. It takes a little mental effort to remember which is which. However, on my non-iDrive car I appreciate the economical use of precious screen space. If I had iDrive I'd probably want real labels like "Artist" etc.
- The BMW logo shows up on iPod screen when it's attached to the car. Not a serious Pro, since you never see it, all hidden away in the glove box, but it's kinda cool.

- Collin
      01-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
Holeinoneboy
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Yup that's the iPod adapter. I've had it since August. Apparently mine was the first BMW SF had done on an E90. It was a must have for me and I'm happy with it. It could be better, but most of its issues are general issues with the 3 series audio system (my first 4 cons below). To get a feel for what it's like I would recommend burning an MP3 CD and playing with it. The iPod interface fakes out the CD changer input, so the interface is basically the same.

Navigation on iDrive is, not surprisingly, much nicer/easier than on my non-iDrive car. This might be enough to get me to purchase iDrive next time. (That and the fact that the legal warning no-longer needs to be manually dismissed.) Amusingly, my car is a pre-Sept. model, so if I had gotten iDrive I might have had no-iPod adapter at all! (or have they addressed that by now?)

Pros :
- Giant jukebox in your car.
- Steering wheel controls for track skipping.
- Song information and navigation on your head unit.
- Much better audio quality than the aux input jack. (all digital vs. analog)
- Hidden in glove compartment. Nothing to manually hide when parking the car. Some don't like it here, because it can be a bother if you remove it frequently. In my case however this is essentially a dedicated "car iPod" so I only remove it for updating songs.

Cons:
- Random and Title display are turned off when you restart the car (general audio system issue).
- Random is not random when you hit next or prev track manually (general audio system issue).
- Folder navigation is a bit confusing at first (general audio system issue).
- (Related) Folders are only 1 level deep, so if you choose by artist you just get a song list, not a list of albums. (general audio system issue).
- Can take a while to load song information when car first starts. It can be many seconds before music will start. (iPod specific issue).
- Unless car is restarted very quickly, play will resume at the beginning of the last song played. This means if you are running several short errands you are likely to hear the beginning of the same song over and over again.
- Navigation on the non-iDrive cars is limited by the 2 line display and the response of the tuning knob. iDrive interface is much easier to navigate.

Other:
- Some feel the interface is pricey. I forget, but I think it was around $500 installed. I suppose it's a bit costly, but we're BMW owner's here; no one should be too impoverished. Have you replaced those bloody run-flats yet? Now that's pricey.
- The artist, album, etc. views are just labeled CD 1, 2, etc. It takes a little mental effort to remember which is which. However, on my non-iDrive car I appreciate the economical use of precious screen space. If I had iDrive I'd probably want real labels like "Artist" etc.
- The BMW logo shows up on iPod screen when it's attached to the car. Not a serious Pro, since you never see it, all hidden away in the glove box, but it's kinda cool.

- Collin

Thanks. Good summary.

Just one more (maybe stupid) question.

If the iPod stays in the glove box and presumably shuts off when you shut the car off, do you physically have to open the glove box and power up the iPod every time you get in the car?

2014 Q5 TDI - S Line Glacier White Sports Select / Tiptronic Technik / B & O / Black Interior / 20" 5 Arm Wheels /
Holeinoneboy is offline   Canada
      01-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
MacAttack
Colonel

Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Nope.
      01-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
JSpira
Freude am Fahren

Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

I´ve had the iPod interface since June and think you presented a great summary. A few questions.

Quote:
Cons:
What do you mean by "title display"? If you mean the two-line display of the current song (as opposed to just one line which is what you see for songs not playing above and below) that is not turned off.

Quote:

Ja, but the song after that will be random.

Quote:

This is an iPod setting. You can tell iTunes to start a track where it leaves off.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
JSpira is offline   Austria
      01-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
collinp
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
I´ve had the iPod interface since June and think you presented a great summary. A few questions.

What do you mean by "title display"? If you mean the two-line display of the current song (as opposed to just one line which is what you see for songs not playing above and below) that is not turned off.
There are 3 views.

1.) The view with just the track number, like "Track 689". This view also has the CD 1-6 selection numbers at the bottom of the screen.
2.) The folder navigation view.
3.) The two line display with the Song Title and Artist (or is it Album? I forget)

If mine is in view 2 or 3 it returns to view 1 whenever the car is restarted.

Quote:
Ja, but the song after that will be random.
Correct.

Quote:
This is an iPod setting. You can tell iTunes to start a track where it leaves off.
Sort of. Normally on the iPod if you pause a song and just let it turn off, when you wake it up the song will still be paused at the same spot. The iPod setting I think you are referring to (new in iTunes 7 I believe) is a per song memory of where the song was stopped last. If you don't finish listening to song it will remember where you left off. This is great for audiobooks, but for music you will soon get a library where lots of songs magically start halfway through the track, which could be annoying. Also, you need to add this option to all the songs in your library and remember to add it each time you import. Or are you referring to a different option?

- Collin
      01-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
JSpira
Freude am Fahren

Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
There are 3 views.

1.) The view with just the track number, like "Track 689". This view also has the CD 1-6 selection numbers at the bottom of the screen.
2.) The folder navigation view.
3.) The two line display with the Song Title and Artist (or is it Album? I forget)

If mine is in view 2 or 3 it returns to view 1 whenever the car is restarted.
My system always starts up displaying the song title on one line and the artist (I think it is artist) below it for the track currently playing; all other tracks above and below are visible with one line (song/track title). This does not vary by restarting the car or iPod.
Quote:

Sort of. Normally on the iPod if you pause a song and just let it turn off, when you wake it up the song will still be paused at the same spot. The iPod setting I think you are referring to (new in iTunes 7 I believe) is a per song memory of where the song was stopped last. If you don't finish listening to song it will remember where you left off. This is great for audiobooks, but for music you will soon get a library where lots of songs magically start halfway through the track, which could be annoying. Also, you need to add this option to all the songs in your library and remember to add it each time you import. Or are you referring to a different option?

- Collin
No, that is the option I was referring to.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
JSpira is offline   Austria
      01-07-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
collinp
Private First Class

Quote:
My system always starts up displaying the song title on one line and the artist (I think it is artist) below it for the track currently playing; all other tracks above and below are visible with one line (song/track title). This does not vary by restarting the car or iPod.
Are you talking about on an iDrive car? My car is a non-iDrive car so the behavior might be different.

- Collin