E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > So who installed LED bulbs in pre-lci tails ?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #1
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
24
Rep
694
Posts

Drives: 335i m6t nav sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

So who installed LED bulbs in pre-lci tails ?

I have to replace reverse and brake light in my tails. Anyone installed LEDs and does it look good ? I don't want a round thing to light up... What did you get, from where ? Pictures ?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
FreeCandy
Enlisted Member
Canada
0
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 09 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I tried some red "cree" LEDs from eBay, yet those LEDs are not bright enough to use it as brake lights, so I changed back to halogens due to the safety issue lol.
However I'm using white canbus LEDs for reverse lights, got it from eBay as well, not bright but just for fun.
I also have some red 1156 LEDs for my rear turning lights, bright enough though. This is the only one I suggest.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1156-Red-25W-...50176f&vxp=mtr
I got something similar to this, can't find the original post.
Coding is needed for this though.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
24
Rep
694
Posts

Drives: 335i m6t nav sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeCandy View Post
I tried some red "cree" LEDs from eBay, yet those LEDs are not bright enough to use it as brake lights, so I changed back to halogens due to the safety issue lol.
However I'm using white canbus LEDs for reverse lights, got it from eBay as well, not bright but just for fun.
I also have some red 1156 LEDs for my rear turning lights, bright enough though. This is the only one I suggest.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1156-Red-25W-...50176f&vxp=mtr
I got something similar to this, can't find the original post.
Coding is needed for this though.
Thanks for the info, ever thought about using white led bulbs for brake lights ?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
339
Rep
20,401
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
Thanks for the info, ever thought about using white led bulbs for brake lights ?
It typically comes out looking pink.

I have 80W red led in my corvette, they are nearly 2x brighter then the stock halogen. When I hit the brakes people slow down LOL.

HPB might be able to get something but it would require coding, that's why we dont list it on our sites because people are typically not interested in coding or do not read item descriptions in full that warn about coding.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
uniquestyleracing
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
0
Rep
10
Posts


Drives: BMW 228i
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: So. Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeCandy View Post
I tried some red "cree" LEDs from eBay, yet those LEDs are not bright enough to use it as brake lights, so I changed back to halogens due to the safety issue lol.
However I'm using white canbus LEDs for reverse lights, got it from eBay as well, not bright but just for fun.
I also have some red 1156 LEDs for my rear turning lights, bright enough though. This is the only one I suggest.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1156-Red-25W-...50176f&vxp=mtr
I got something similar to this, can't find the original post.
Coding is needed for this though.
Did the canbus white LED bulbs you put into the reverse light give you error?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
N54 TuNeR
///Member
N54 TuNeR's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: E90 '08 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
It typically comes out looking pink.

I have 80W red led in my corvette, they are nearly 2x brighter then the stock halogen. When I hit the brakes people slow down LOL.

HPB might be able to get something but it would require coding, that's why we dont list it on our sites because people are typically not interested in coding or do not read item descriptions in full that warn about coding.
Coding is to disable bulb check correct?
__________________
E90 SEDAN '08
-STOCK TURBOS FBO AT*FSB G5 ISO*85/15%METH*CM10 Nozzle*FUEL iT!STAGE2*ALPiNA FLASH-
-NGK 5992 PLUGS*BMS OCC*RB VALVE-
-E85 MHD FLASH-
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
339
Rep
20,401
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 TuNeR View Post
Coding is to disable bulb check correct?
I believe that is all that it needs but I'm not 100% sure to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #8
FreeCandy
Enlisted Member
Canada
0
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 09 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestyleracing View Post
Did the canbus white LED bulbs you put into the reverse light give you error?
Canbus would show no error at all.
That's why I choose canbus LEDs instead of regular LEDs.

And DON'T use any other color LEDs except red for brake lights.
I tried amber LEDs for brake lights, looks awful lol.
Stay with the RED.
If you can get some ultra bright red canbus LEDs for brake lights, that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #9
FreeCandy
Enlisted Member
Canada
0
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 09 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
Thanks for the info, ever thought about using white led bulbs for brake lights ?
Coding is needed for the 1156 LEDs I talked about.
Don't use white LEDs for brake lights. lol
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 03:18 AM   #10
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
93
Rep
5,060
Posts

Drives: '07 E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (35)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
It typically comes out looking pink.

I have 80W red led in my corvette, they are nearly 2x brighter then the stock halogen. When I hit the brakes people slow down LOL.

HPB might be able to get something but it would require coding, that's why we dont list it on our sites because people are typically not interested in coding or do not read item descriptions in full that warn about coding.
I'm lost with canbus and etc type led's. If anyone has a product for brighter than stock red brake, red parking lights and white reverse lights. If coding only requires disable check bulb, I am in. If it doesn't, let's find out. I just want to change it for safety and tinted windows at night.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
N54 TuNeR
///Member
N54 TuNeR's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: E90 '08 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (2)

**********s is selling the depo black lines sales cheap at 99.00 but disclaimer that they may sag.so I'm interested in LEDs so it uses less heat and would prevent from sagging I'm told.
__________________
E90 SEDAN '08
-STOCK TURBOS FBO AT*FSB G5 ISO*85/15%METH*CM10 Nozzle*FUEL iT!STAGE2*ALPiNA FLASH-
-NGK 5992 PLUGS*BMS OCC*RB VALVE-
-E85 MHD FLASH-
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
339
Rep
20,401
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
I'm lost with canbus and etc type led's. If anyone has a product for brighter than stock red brake, red parking lights and white reverse lights. If coding only requires disable check bulb, I am in. If it doesn't, let's find out. I just want to change it for safety and tinted windows at night.
Contact www.highperformancebulbs.com and tell them your vehicle. (Year, Make , Model , Coupe/Sedan, and halogen or xenon headlamps).

Tell them you are willing to go through the coding process. (tell them I sent you).

They may be able to offer you lights that can fit your needs.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
93
Rep
5,060
Posts

Drives: '07 E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

iTrader: (35)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Contact www.highperformancebulbs.com and tell them your vehicle. (Year, Make , Model , Coupe/Sedan, and halogen or xenon headlamps).

Tell them you are willing to go through the coding process. (tell them I sent you).

They may be able to offer you lights that can fit your needs.
right on thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:54 AM   #14
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
24
Rep
694
Posts

Drives: 335i m6t nav sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

bumping this up, I need to replace reverse and brake bulbs on my car asap.

Anyone got pics and links to what they put in there ?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 04:54 AM   #15
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
VTECaddict's Avatar
63
Rep
4,848
Posts

Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA

iTrader: (4)

Theyre just not going to be bright enough. Reverse should be fine if you're just going for looks. Brakes will be a safety issue.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR | OEM Blacklines | M-tech rear | custom dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | BMW Performance rep spoiler
Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #16
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
BklynTico506's Avatar
Costa Rica
7
Rep
298
Posts

Drives: Monaco Blau '08 E90 Xi
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NY/PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Theyre just not going to be bright enough. Reverse should be fine if you're just going for looks. Brakes will be a safety issue.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #17
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
11,654
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

Won't play very nice without some coding.

You could do a full LCI taillight swap as well, but even then I think if I recall correctly you need some special harnesses.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #18
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
24
Rep
694
Posts

Drives: 335i m6t nav sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I don't mind coding I have everything I need to code and coded over 30 cars locally so that's not an issue. I was just wondering if it's possible to run LEDs just because they look better and are brighter.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #19
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
VTECaddict's Avatar
63
Rep
4,848
Posts

Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
I don't mind coding I have everything I need to code and coded over 30 cars locally so that's not an issue. I was just wondering if it's possible to run LEDs just because they look better and are brighter.
They emit light differently and the stock housings are designed to reflect the normal filament bulbs so they will be dimmer.

I have a 30-something SMD LED bulb for my rear turn signals in the OEM blacklines. They seemed fine when I tested them out in the evening after installing them. The other day I switched cars with my friend and got to see them first hand in the day time, and you can barely see the turn signal.

You don't want to mess with visibility on your brake lights.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR | OEM Blacklines | M-tech rear | custom dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | BMW Performance rep spoiler
Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #20
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
24
Rep
694
Posts

Drives: 335i m6t nav sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
They emit light differently and the stock housings are designed to reflect the normal filament bulbs so they will be dimmer.

I have a 30-something SMD LED bulb for my rear turn signals in the OEM blacklines. They seemed fine when I tested them out in the evening after installing them. The other day I switched cars with my friend and got to see them first hand in the day time, and you can barely see the turn signal.

You don't want to mess with visibility on your brake lights.
I agree however if I go for something that has something that projects more lights to the back, it will most likely be brighter.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 06:30 AM   #21
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
VTECaddict's Avatar
63
Rep
4,848
Posts

Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
I agree however if I go for something that has something that projects more lights to the back, it will most likely be brighter.
You would think so but thats not how it works. You need the reflectors inside to be properly utilized to get enough brightness and surface area of light.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR | OEM Blacklines | M-tech rear | custom dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | BMW Performance rep spoiler
Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #22
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
24
Rep
694
Posts

Drives: 335i m6t nav sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
You would think so but thats not how it works. You need the reflectors inside to be properly utilized to get enough brightness and surface area of light.
Ok thanks I guess I'll stick to crappy bulbs then.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST