E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Does the automatic 335 have one oil cooler?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
 
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago IL

Posts: 5,830
iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
Does the automatic 335 have one oil cooler?

Does the 6-speed manual 335i have two oil coolers?
Does the automatic 335 have one oil cooler?

Just a rumor i heard and was wondering if thats true.
__________________
2009 E90 M3 - SOLD
Crazy Bimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
roller84
Captain
 
roller84's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC

Posts: 714
iTrader: (2)

I believe there is a difference between the oil coolers, whether it be quantity or size. My dealer received a memo stating that the M-Tech Bodykit could be installed at the VPC. When I placed the order, they came back saying that they could not do it for my vehicle at the moment because mine was a stick and had sports package. When my SA inquired more about the reason, they said that it had something to do with the oil cooler.
roller84 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
 
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago IL

Posts: 5,830
iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
Reason i ask is that the "overheating issues" that the audi guys noticed at the local track were driving automatic 335i.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=overheating

Later we found out they had a bmw tech at the track few weeks ago and mentioned about the oil cooler thing. I was just curious if that is true. If it is then that whole overheating thing was really nothing major.
__________________
2009 E90 M3 - SOLD
Crazy Bimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
 
theslik1's Avatar
 
Drives: Lexus IS-F
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SC

Posts: 213
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Quattro
Reason i ask is that the "overheating issues" that the audi guys noticed at the local track were driving automatic 335i.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=overheating

Later we found out they had a bmw tech at the track few weeks ago and mentioned about the oil cooler thing. I was just curious if that is true. If it is then that whole overheating thing was really nothing major.
The "overheating thing" was bogus FWIW.
theslik1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
 
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago IL

Posts: 5,830
iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
If it was bogus then how did i hear about automatics having only one oil cooler?
__________________
2009 E90 M3 - SOLD
Crazy Bimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
texasturner
Private First Class
 
Drives: GMC Truck
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

I hope this is true because I ordered a manual....
texasturner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
RRGOO7
Colonel
 
RRGOO7's Avatar
 
Drives: GTR
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Miami FL

Posts: 2,445
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasturner
I hope this is true because I ordered a manual....
same here
RRGOO7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 01:45 AM   #8
ac2
Private
 
ac2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N.E.

Posts: 86
iTrader: (1)

By looking at BMW ETK, it seems in US, only those 335i with High Speed Synchronisation AND Manual Gearbox have Engine Oil Cooler.
ac2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 02:16 AM   #9
wistarf
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

What the hell is High Speed Synchronization? I never remember seeing that on the options list...
__________________
07 335 MT, silver on black, sport, premium.
wistarf is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 02:49 AM   #10
ac2
Private
 
ac2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N.E.

Posts: 86
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistarf
What the hell is High Speed Synchronization? I never remember seeing that on the options list...
I have no idea, but that is what it asks in ETK when you try to access the Engine Oil Cooler, both High Speed Synchronisation AND Manual Gearbox must be Yes or it will not show the part number for Engine Oil Cooler.
ac2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 02:58 AM   #11
ac2
Private
 
ac2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N.E.

Posts: 86
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller84
I believe there is a difference between the oil coolers, whether it be quantity or size. My dealer received a memo stating that the M-Tech Bodykit could be installed at the VPC. When I placed the order, they came back saying that they could not do it for my vehicle at the moment because mine was a stick and had sports package. When my SA inquired more about the reason, they said that it had something to do with the oil cooler.
So, maybe the High Speed Synchronisation in the ETK refer to the sports package, so it is possible that in US only those manual 335i with sports package have oil cooler. Just my guess according to the BMW ETK.
ac2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 03:29 AM   #12
ddanny
Private
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hamburg

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac2
So, maybe the High Speed Synchronisation in the ETK refer to the sports package, so it is possible that in US only those manual 335i with sports package have oil cooler. Just my guess according to the BMW ETK.

this is exactly the information I got from a german tuner (Evotech). In Germany both (MT and AT) have oil coolers. Dont ask me why
Thats the reason why in US only 335i with MT could be tuned up to 375HP and AT "only" to 360HP.
ddanny is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
picus
Brigadier General
 
picus's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (0)

I'd like to find out the answer to this as well. I'm going to be pretty pissed if the MT has two coolers and mine has one.
picus is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #14
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (3)

I just looked around inside my 335i Step Sedan. I'm used to oil coolers being in front, to take advantage of fresh cool air. I found the radiator and the a-t-a intercooler, but not the oil cooler. Of course I was very limited in what I could see by the various plastic covers which I have not removed and not having a lift. However, I did crawl around and used a mirror to see up into the wheel wells, which according to 1 BMW report is where the air-to-oil intercooler is located.

Does anyone have a schematic of where these oil coolers are supposed to be? Can anyone find one or two on their MT version, then I'll look in the same places!

Last edited by sdiver68; 01-09-2007 at 10:09 AM.
sdiver68 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #15
jmonier
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Torrance, CA

Posts: 812
iTrader: (0)

Oil cooler is supposed to be in the right front wheel well.
jmonier is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #16
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier
Oil cooler is supposed to be in the right front wheel well.
Not on my Step...and when you say right do you mean drivers or passenger side? Also, I've found a few posts where it was reported that BMW reps state that manuals only get the (2nd) external oil cooler, the first oil cooler being a coolant-to-oil.

If someone with a MT can see theirs, I'll double check but I spent some time seeing both entire wheel wells with a light and mirror...
sdiver68 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #17
ac2
Private
 
ac2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N.E.

Posts: 86
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68
I just looked around inside my 335i Step Sedan. I'm used to oil coolers being in front, to take advantage of fresh cool air. I found the radiator and the a-t-a intercooler, but not the oil cooler. Of course I was very limited in what I could see by the various plastic covers which I have not removed and not having a lift. However, I did crawl around and used a mirror to see up into the wheel wells, which according to 1 BMW report is where the air-to-oil intercooler is located.

Does anyone have a schematic of where these oil coolers are supposed to be? Can anyone find one or two on their MT version, then I'll look in the same places!
My car is manual with sports package. the oil cooler is at passenger side. Here is the picture.
Attached Images
 
ac2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #18
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (3)

Well I would not have missed that, it's obvious as day, I think it's confirmed that US Steps (at least my sport pkg sedan) have no air-to-oil cooler!

OK, now for some thoughts. BMW Reps stated that the A/T did not "need" a 2nd oil cooler, now is this because the M/T dumps more heat into the engine where the auto does not, or simply because BMW believes that Step drivers don't push their cars as hard?

I have an appt tomorrow for 2 TSB's...I'll ask my SA where my oil cooler is and make an issue of it, see what they come back with!

Last edited by sdiver68; 01-09-2007 at 03:09 PM.
sdiver68 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #19
ac2
Private
 
ac2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N.E.

Posts: 86
iTrader: (1)

According to ETK, only auto has Oil-Cooler Heat Exchanger.
Attached Images
 
ac2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #20
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (3)

OK, so MT oil is cooled by air and Step by coolant, is that where we are now?
sdiver68 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #21
jmonier
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Torrance, CA

Posts: 812
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68
Not on my Step...and when you say right do you mean drivers or passenger side? Also, I've found a few posts where it was reported that BMW reps state that manuals only get the (2nd) external oil cooler, the first oil cooler being a coolant-to-oil.

If someone with a MT can see theirs, I'll double check but I spent some time seeing both entire wheel wells with a light and mirror...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38856

Refer to page 46 in the Engine Management document from the above link. That's all I know.
jmonier is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #22
ac2
Private
 
ac2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N.E.

Posts: 86
iTrader: (1)

I think only for US, because in ETK, auto in Europe has oil-cooler too....
ac2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST