E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > What are the cons of using these to lower the front?

10-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #45
rummy
stoked

Drives: '07 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
That's a lot of work just to drop the front half an inch. Also include the alignment cost to the $70 of these perches. So one might as well replace the springs while at it, so that means replacing springs in back too.
This is how I feel. If I'm taking everything off to "lower" my car, I might as well go all out.

It is an excellent alternative, though, for lowering your car cost effectively.
rummy is offline   United_States
      10-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #46
Tag
Colonel

Drives: bimmer

Putting on shorter springs to lower your car have time and time again shown that they wear out their stock shocks prematurely. I think bavarian19 brought up a valid concern. This is achieving the same goal by a different means. In the end the shock doesn't use the full length of the shaft, same as lowering springs.
Tag is offline   United_States
      10-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #47
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
Putting on shorter springs to lower your car have time and time again shown that they wear out their stock shocks prematurely. I think bavarian19 brought up a valid concern. This is achieving the same goal by a different means. In the end the shock doesn't use the full length of the shaft, same as lowering springs.
Umm, the reason shorter springs MAY wear out OEM shocks faster is because they are stiffer so damping force is too low to stop the oscillations that the damper would otherwise damp out. Basically the damper has to work harder against bigger forces as it is not matched to the higher spring rate.

If you leave the OEM spring in place and add this drop with the spring perch, the dampers and springs are still matched, just you lose 0.5" of compression travel from rest. As long as you don't bottom out this looks like a decent solution for a small drop, maybe even a bit better IMHO than going to stiffer springs with stock shocks.
      10-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #48
Cooper35
Enlisted Member

Drives: 330i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
either way, the drop is so little the shocks wont be affected by it. its probably the same as having a sub box in your trunk.
      10-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #49
IlChengis
once Treppiede

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Very interesting thread guys, I might have to look into this as well.

Thanks, please keep the comments/impressions and pics coming.

-Walter
      11-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #50
USC2000
Major

Drives: F30 328i M Sport

I may have to consider these. Any pics on an e90?
      01-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #51
jahmed78
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

I bought the front lowering perches from SupremePower and got them on to my OEM spring. The spring is compressed quite a bit but when I put it back oover the shocks and want to screw the perch and cover back on with the nut in the middle, my perch is sitting too high. I can't even get the nut on there...I can barely see the top of the part I'm supposed to screw it on. When I had unscrewed the nut in the first place, the OEM perch and cap sort of shot off. So I'm guessing somehow I need to force it down but not sure how. Anyone else run into this issue? Appreciate any ideas...Happy New Year!

19" BMW M-Performance wheels, ST coilovers, m3 rep front bumper and skirts, CF Hamann rep diffuser, Remus Race quad exhaust, aFe DCI, LED angel eyes & DRL kit,
jahmed78 is offline   United_States
      01-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #52
jahmed78
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmed78 View Post
I bought the front lowering perches from SupremePower and got them on to my OEM spring. The spring is compressed quite a bit but when I put it back oover the shocks and want to screw the perch and cover back on with the nut in the middle, my perch is sitting too high. I can't even get the nut on there...I can barely see the top of the part I'm supposed to screw it on. When I had unscrewed the nut in the first place, the OEM perch and cap sort of shot off. So I'm guessing somehow I need to force it down but not sure how. Anyone else run into this issue? Appreciate any ideas...Happy New Year!
thanks guys...those compressed springs were definitely scary

so after about 2 days of work and a sore back, I'm finally done with the install!!!

my problem was that the OEM sport spring just needed to be compressed more...A LOT MORE. all the DYIs are switching to lowering springs which are much smaller. I borrowed 1 set of compressors as shown in the pic from O'Reillys and then had to get a second set as well. To get the spring compressed enough I had to use 4 compressors at one time! It was sooooo time consuming since all the screwing was done by hand using a torque wrench and a regular wrench (hand wrench used most of the time due to lack of *******. not to mention, a lot of trial and error...

after getting the car off the jacks it actually looked higher! but then it settled after some driving and the drop in the front looks great! it went from a 2 finger gap to about 1.25 fingers, sitting really nicely right above my huge 20" wheels. (pics coming tomorrow...it's 3am for me right now) i'm really happy with the turn out and i'm sure if i was a little more experienced it wouldn't have taken 2 days. $70 well spent!!!

19" BMW M-Performance wheels, ST coilovers, m3 rep front bumper and skirts, CF Hamann rep diffuser, Remus Race quad exhaust, aFe DCI, LED angel eyes & DRL kit,
jahmed78 is offline   United_States