E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > shadowline vinyl

08-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
gill_
Banned

Drives: AW e92

shadowline vinyl

i got matte black vinyl a couple months ago and i applied it myself. it came out alright i would give it a 7.5 out of 10 but the imperfections drive me crazy.
the contrast of matte black on my white car makes it look cheap IMO so i ordered a gloss black roll of vinyl since it's closer to OEM.

i don't want to give it another go cause i know it'll come out shitty and i want it perfect...so where can i go to get it installed? i've called body shops and they can't do it. and how much will it cost?
      08-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
coh4777
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

You generally want to call vinyl shops where they do signs and auto graphics, not bodyshops to get the wrapping done.

08-24-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
reign528
Nerds RULE!

Drives: AW 12' 135i Msport - Adriana

yea i looked for car graphics and vinyl places near my area... they had never done anything like it before but they quoted me just under $300.... Mind u this was in Nashville TN. They charged $90 and hour w/ materials included. They estimated about 3hrs for the job.

I had a friend who got it done in Miami FL for about $150. So it just depends on the shop.

Previous Cars: 07' Black 335i | 99' Silver 528i
reign528 is offline   United_States
      08-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
gill_
Banned

wow almost $300? ridiculous. i guess i'll do it myself again..
      08-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Ben Richards
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 Space Gray E92 335i

i'm thinking of trying the trim wrapping project myself. what kind of imperfections do you have? a result like that would drive me nuts too. do you think one can wrap slowly enough, with patience, to avoid imperfections? or is this better done by a professional?
Ben Richards is offline   United_States
      08-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
gill_
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Richards View Post
i'm thinking of trying the trim wrapping project myself. what kind of imperfections do you have? a result like that would drive me nuts too. do you think one can wrap slowly enough, with patience, to avoid imperfeictions? or is this better done by a professional?
you will need someone to help you, one needs to guide the vinyl and the other needs to stick it on. the only part that gets tricky is the bendy part of the trim which you'll need a blowdryer for to heat the vinyl so it becomes more malleable.

to be honest, the application is pretty easy it just takes patience but there will be some imperfections if not done professionally. for me..the chrome can be seen from some angles. and the vinyl on the bend is a little see-thru since i heated it. i have a picture on my desktop but i'm on my laptop right now.. good luck

oh yeah, if you have an e92 you will need to remove the side mirrors with a special screwdriver in order to get under that part of the windowsill. i didn't do it because that screw is in there VERY tightly.
      08-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
twinturbopg
How you like them apples?

Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
try contacting a window tint place or clear bra co.