E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Stripped my auto trans drain plug!

06-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Stripped my auto trans drain plug!

My car has 142k miles on it and I decided it was time to do a filter change and a drain and fill. Car has had two drain and fills previously.

Stripped the 5mm hex opening in the plug. My bad, since I did the previous drain and fill.

So, I'm pondering some options:

1. Extract plug with an ease-out or something similar, with the pan still on the car. Worried about possible damage to the inside.

2. Remove the entire pan and then extract plug. Will likely be messy and I wonder about deforming the pan in the extract process if not secured properly.

3. Buy a new pan and a new plug to replace both (will also be messy but would solve my concern on 2.)

Has anyone had to deal with this? What did you do?
      06-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
olivojoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Garage List
Not sure if it will work, but you could try putting a sheet of paper over the bit to fill the "gap" between the bit and the plug to give you more friction. If one sheet isn't enough, then use two, or then three, and so on.

This is assuming that it isn't stripped to the point of being completely rounded out.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [4.75]
If you drill the plug straight and dont go fully through the easy out would be your best option.
Or like Joe said try some paper or what I've seen done is use a socket that is slightly smaller than the plug size (try a similar meter or standard size) force it on with some wacks of a hammer, this way the socket and drain plug are wedged together. Then remove normally with a ratchet. Socket would be most likely ruined so be aware of that.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

Try a close-in-size torx bit, sae hex, or maybe even square drive.

Get one of the $5 security bit sets and try a few of those as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...8NXEF33XP2F162

In any event, seating a bit that is just a tad larger into the now-rounded opening with a few good hammer smacks is probably your best bet, especially if you have an impact wrench to turn it out.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2015, 02:01 AM   #5
DarkNemesis
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car

Option 3, be safe than sorry.
I did my trans fluid and filter change and Machatronic sleeve.
Filter came with drain plug already in and torqued.
But you will need new aluminum screws all around.
Comes with gasket also.

DN
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Sorry I've been away and not checking the thread.

I'm going to try the simpler approaches first, suggested in the first two threads. My pad is metal so I'll try not to force anything to the point of bending it. If not, well, I'll try option 3.
      11-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Done!

okay, so here's an update

bottom line, please don't strip your drain plug.

I tried option 1, no go, even with an easy out tool. So, I decided to remove the pan and try option 2.

Slowly loosened and removed all the pan bolts except at the four corners. Have you ever visited an ATF rain forest? Gently lowered the four corners without removing, and then used a small siphon pump (from Walmart) to get as much ATF remaining in the pan. Took me awhile to track down all the tiny ATF droplets on the garage floor. I could never make it in the mafia.

With the pan off, several attempts with different easy out bits, no luck. Decided to use a good metal drill bit to go through the plug completely. Fortunately, one of the easy out tips finally worked and the plug broke free.

So, cleaning the pan, thinking I'm back on track to getting this done. Then, I dropped the pan magnet while cleaning it and it broke. No BMW dealership in town (open on a Saturday) had it in stock. Great.

Fortunately, I discovered that GM part 29535617 is a dead ringer for the "BMW" magnet....for about half the cost: http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-295356.../dp/B0016J3W90 ....and I was able to source it locally for about the same price on Saturday.

Everything turned out well in the end. Drain plug carefully torqued. Filter and gasket changed. Fresh fluid. No leaks. Smooth shifts.