E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 325i 06 engine fan replacement?

02-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
Twiztid Nick

Drives: 2006 325i

325i 06 engine fan replacement?

I'm really hoping I can get some help before I try altogether replacing my engine fan. So about 2 months ago my 06 325i displayed a yellow engine temp high warning shortly followed by the red engine overheated warning while I was idling in a parking lot after driving about 20 minutes to work on the highway. I immediately shut the engine off and after about an hour or two I checked my coolant level, and that seemed to be fine. At the end of the day I drove home from work with no issues. After that I would only ever have that overheating issue if I spent more than 5-10 minutes idling, especially after driving hard on the highway. However I was perfectly fine making 60+ mile trips. About a week ago I setup INPA on my laptop and checked for errors. I had a few errors come up related to my battery (which I haven't yet registered since replacing).

The issue I'm having trouble with is error 2EFE on inpa "open circuit, electrical fan" when I try activating my fan through INPA, I get nothing. when my engine is clearly too hot, my engine fan will not turn on.

Is this open circuit fault something that could be resolved by something like replacing a fuse? Or should I check for loose/ disconnected wires from the radiator fan . I'm just curious as to whether or not this fault code definitely means I need a new engine fan.
      02-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
onthe3rdday

Drives: 06 325i

An engine fan is normally a 2 pin connector that you can unplug and jump 12v to in order to test for a dead fan. I don't know if ours is that way. I'll check under the hood on my lunch