E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > What equilization settings are you audiophiles using?

01-09-2007, 01:38 AM   #1
Rusty Shackelford
Enlisted Member

Drives: 07' 335i Sedan - Sport, Prem

What equilization settings are you audiophiles using?

My 335i sedan arrived yesterday and when I haven't been driving it or working, I've been playing with all the menus and controls. The car is definitely everything I'd hoped it would be and more. I'll post some pictures once it stops raining and clears up outside here in Portland Oregon (which could mean July 5th - got to love the Northwest.)

Everyone has their personal preferences, but are there any sound guys out there who have taken the time to equilize the Logic 7 settings to get as close to high fidelity sound as the system can achieve? I would assume that balanced settings for each frequncy range, e.g. 80 hz, 300 hz, etc. for one car would roughly apply to all cars since the stereo, speakers, and accoustic environment is pretty much the same for everyone with the same model of car and same stereo. I've got a sound meter, but no good test tracks to test each frequency range. Please post your settings if you think you've arrived at settings that produce especially good sound from the Logic 7 stereo.
Rusty Shackelford is offline   United_States
      01-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost

Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
This is a great thread, although, i cant contribute any actuall good information to it.
      01-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford
My 335i sedan arrived yesterday and when I haven't been driving it or working, I've been playing with all the menus and controls. The car is definitely everything I'd hoped it would be and more. I'll post some pictures once it stops raining and clears up outside here in Portland Oregon (which could mean July 5th - got to love the Northwest.)

Everyone has their personal preferences, but are there any sound guys out there who have taken the time to equilize the Logic 7 settings to get as close to high fidelity sound as the system can achieve? I would assume that balanced settings for each frequncy range, e.g. 80 hz, 300 hz, etc. for one car would roughly apply to all cars since the stereo, speakers, and accoustic environment is pretty much the same for everyone with the same model of car and same stereo. I've got a sound meter, but no good test tracks to test each frequency range. Please post your settings if you think you've arrived at settings that produce especially good sound from the Logic 7 stereo.
+1 (This is one of the better questions as of late). I'd also like to know.
      01-09-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Major

Drives: 06 E90 330, '11 F10 535 xdrive

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [5.00]
i had my eq set perfect, imo, before i added my box in the trunk. then i had to change a couple of settings due to the amount of bass coming out of the rear!

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
      01-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
NFS13
Car Junkie

Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
The EQ settings are for personal preference. Each ear is different in what frequencies it can hear ( actually reproduce ) better than others and the EQ allows ranges to be amplified, or de-amplified, to recreate what you percieve as a nice mix of sound. As a past sound board operator I used noise/pink meters to optimize a sound system for the room, but that was only to find distortion levels so I would know where my cutoff was for each channel. Listening to the L7 system at full volume I can tell that the system has already been measured and set by BMW since there is very little distortion.
NFS13 is offline   United_States
      01-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
vladinecko
Brigadier General

Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.50]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
i use the traditional U-curve, though a little tweaked (with lower frequencies down a little).

unlike NFS13, i try to set it up so that i get pretty much the same sound quality at a broad range of volumes. no distortions at high db and no loosing of sound at low db.

but i do agree it depends on your personal taste and preference.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
vladinecko is offline   United_States
      01-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
Rusty Shackelford
Enlisted Member

Drives: 07' 335i Sedan - Sport, Prem

There is personal preference, but there is also achieving as close to a flat response as possible, which should be pretty objective. As I understand it, a flat response is when the system outputs the same volume for each frequency range and is suppose to modifiy music the least from how it was recorded. I've heard a properly calibrated stereo doesn't always sound the best to the average person at first because most are used to bumped up bass and treble - but I'd like to try a properly a calibrated stereo for awhile just the same. So, I was most curious if anyone had tried to get their system close to flat and if so what settings he/she used.
Rusty Shackelford is offline   United_States
      01-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
Ted
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
i use the traditional U-curve, though a little tweaked (with lower frequencies down a little).

unlike NFS13, i try to set it up so that i get pretty much the same sound quality at a broad range of volumes. no distortions at high db and no loosing of sound at low db.

but i do agree it depends on your personal taste and preference.
This is just how I have mine, sounds as good as my stereo at home.
Ted is offline   United Kingdom
      01-12-2007, 02:56 AM   #9
NickG
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i 6MT M/Blue, Jade Grey

Well I'm an audio and music nut at home, and I guess the first thing to say is that no home stereo worth it's salt should run equalisers. In fact many of the best amps in the World don't even have tone controls at all!

A car, however, is about as difficult an acoustic environment as you can get. So some "tweaking" of the sound is virtually essential. The classic "V curve" mentioned above basically replicates what used to be achieved by the "loudness" button that was all the rage on home amps in the 1970's ( and is still seen today on some lower end "hi fi" equipment) . IF you are running with a decent source and speakers to start with, it simply guarantees a "boom tizz" sound that is nevertheless impressive to many people.

Listening to the Logic 7 in my 335i coupe my impression is that HK did a reasonable basic job of optimising the sound with no EQ applied. However for me, the following settings are more faithfull to the music:

100Hz (-1)
200 Hz (0)
500 Hz (0)
1k (0)
2k (+1)
5k (+5)
10k (+5)

Adding more bass only serves to reduce the quality. It's already a bit muddy to start with in this area ( probably the only significant weakness of the Logic 7, apart from some weird and unpredictable stereo imaging when the digital sound processing is activated).

Try the above on a good source CD (Beck's latest - "The Information" - is simply awesome) and see if you like it.
NickG is offline   Australia
      01-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
carl_d
General

Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10

I have also droped the 500 Hz setting by -3, this goes some way to reducing the muddy bass.

I've also found its best to tune the EQ while the car is moving. I think there is dynamic equaliation applied, based on the cars speed? Mine certantly sounds different when stopped compared with moving! Duller when stopped and brighter when moving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG
Well I'm an audio and music nut at home, and I guess the first thing to say is that no home stereo worth it's salt should run equalisers. In fact many of the best amps in the World don't even have tone controls at all!

A car, however, is about as difficult an acoustic environment as you can get. So some "tweaking" of the sound is virtually essential. The classic "V curve" mentioned above basically replicates what used to be achieved by the "loudness" button that was all the rage on home amps in the 1970's ( and is still seen today on some lower end "hi fi" equipment) . IF you are running with a decent source and speakers to start with, it simply guarantees a "boom tizz" sound that is nevertheless impressive to many people.

Listening to the Logic 7 in my 335i coupe my impression is that HK did a reasonable basic job of optimising the sound with no EQ applied. However for me, the following settings are more faithfull to the music:

100Hz (-1)
200 Hz (0)
500 Hz (0)
1k (0)
2k (+1)
5k (+5)
10k (+5)

Adding more bass only serves to reduce the quality. It's already a bit muddy to start with in this area ( probably the only significant weakness of the Logic 7, apart from some weird and unpredictable stereo imaging when the digital sound processing is activated).

Try the above on a good source CD (Beck's latest - "The Information" - is simply awesome) and see if you like it.
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
carl_d is offline   United Kingdom
      01-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 325i mt

Just look 20 threads below. "Logic 7 Optimal EQ settings"

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42672
Jaws is offline   Canada