E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Can mismatched rims cause any damage?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-15-2016, 11:33 PM   #1
Irontitz
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Can mismatched rims cause any damage?

Hey guys,

I m currently using my OEM 193m rims and they are staggered.
They come 18x8 front and 18x8.5 rears

So today i got winter tires for my rims 225/45 all around at "a large independent tire dealer". I specifically told the manager the wheels are staggered and to make sure the wider ones go in the back.

After i got my car I had to go to work. I wasn't able to check if the wheels were on properly until the end of the day.

Turns out front left is 18x8.5 and front right is 18x8 and same with the rears.

I drove around 60km today can this cause any damage to a 2009 335xi?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
Dhillon92
Lieutenant
47
Rep
582
Posts

Drives: '11 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

If your rims are staggered, so should your tire size. The mismatched rims is silly to do for a shop, but the mistake on your end was to get a square setup on staggered rims.

225/45 on a 8" wide rim is going to have a different rolling diameter then a 225/45 on a 8.5" rim.

I cant tell you the exact difference of your wheels, but i know theres a chart somewhere on this forum, your wheels diameter is supposed to he within 1% of each other.

Example would be;
My 199 wheels are 8 front 9 rear, so respectively, 235/35 and 265/30.
My winters are off a z4 but i believe they are 8.5 square, 225/45 all around.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 12:39 AM   #3
Irontitz
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I read from a couple other threads its ok from people with xdrive and similar size rims. Visually they don't even look stretched so i can understand that they would mess up even though i specifically told the manager, a little disappointing.

Im wondering though can it cause any immediate troubles?

Like would i need another alignment from driving a whole day with mis matched rims? or anything of the sort

I did notice it slightly pulling to one side but that is because one rim is wider in the front
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:22 AM   #4
Dhillon92
Lieutenant
47
Rep
582
Posts

Drives: '11 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Nothing immediate, but i believe it affects the transfer case and diffs, not cheap stuff.

I once helped a buddy who got a tire puncture, he has an xdrive and i took two of my spare winter wheels to swap on the back of his car, since the puncture was on the rear right.

The wheels were same width, but the sidewall on his were 5 bigger than the ones i put on the rear,. The car barely drove 5kms to his house, the traction/transfer case was freaking out.

Will not affect alignment, but i usually get one between wheel swaps, because im usually adjusting my suspension height at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Wolf 335
Major
Wolf 335's Avatar
Canada
247
Rep
1,428
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irontitz View Post
Hey guys,

I m currently using my OEM 193m rims and they are staggered.
They come 18x8 front and 18x8.5 rears

So today i got winter tires for my rims 225/45 all around at "a large independent tire dealer". I specifically told the manager the wheels are staggered and to make sure the wider ones go in the back.

After i got my car I had to go to work. I wasn't able to check if the wheels were on properly until the end of the day.

Turns out front left is 18x8.5 and front right is 18x8 and same with the rears.

I drove around 60km today can this cause any damage to a 2009 335xi?

Thanks
You will not cause any damage. Especially driving for only 60km.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon92 View Post
If your rims are staggered, so should your tire size. The mismatched rims is silly to do for a shop, but the mistake on your end was to get a square setup on staggered rims.

225/45 on a 8" wide rim is going to have a different rolling diameter then a 225/45 on a 8.5" rim.

I cant tell you the exact difference of your wheels, but i know theres a chart somewhere on this forum, your wheels diameter is supposed to he within 1% of each other.

Example would be;
My 199 wheels are 8 front 9 rear, so respectively, 235/35 and 265/30.
My winters are off a z4 but i believe they are 8.5 square, 225/45 all around.
Based on OP's setup he will not get a significant change in rolling diameter. The 0.5 difference in width of the rim is not enough to throw off the percentage with those tire sizes.

And in your example 235/35 and 265/30 is actually a wrong setup.
35% of 235mm = 82.25mm
30% of 265mm = 79.5mm

If you want to stay with 235s in the front, then your correct rear size is 275/30.
30% of 275 = 82.5mm

As you can see that is the closes number to the 235 percentage difference.

If you want to stay with 265 in the rear, then your correct front size is 225/35
35% of 225 = 78.75

As you can see that is the closes number to the 265 percentage difference.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
TomD335xicoupe
Second Lieutenant
79
Rep
204
Posts

Drives: 08 335XI me ,16 X5 wife
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (1)

I am also running a square set up on stock 189s 8/8.5 for both my summer and winter sets. If an issue I could easily switch them out all 8s and the other all 8.5s but I did not think aboutt width effecting RD. how to you calculate the difference in rolling diameter for this set up?????
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
Dhillon92
Lieutenant
47
Rep
582
Posts

Drives: '11 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
You will not cause any damage. Especially driving for only 60km.




Based on OP's setup he will not get a significant change in rolling diameter. The 0.5 difference in width of the rim is not enough to throw off the percentage with those tire sizes.

And in your example 235/35 and 265/30 is actually a wrong setup.
35% of 235mm = 82.25mm
30% of 265mm = 79.5mm

If you want to stay with 235s in the front, then your correct rear size is 275/30.
30% of 275 = 82.5mm

As you can see that is the closes number to the 235 percentage difference.

If you want to stay with 265 in the rear, then your correct front size is 225/35
35% of 225 = 78.75

As you can see that is the closes number to the 265 percentage difference.

Cheers
Youre right, although i wouldnt say its wrong as long as it is within 1%.

The reason i didnt go 275 was when i test fitted it, it was just too big for my 9" rim, running PSS.

OP, i found the chart you can refer to for the differences, looks like your setup is good, i was only speaking from experience and caution.

Thanks Wolf for clearing up that the width wont make a significant difference.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050762
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
Irontitz
New Member
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon92 View Post
OP, i found the chart you can refer to for the differences, looks like your setup is good, i was only speaking from experience and caution.

Thanks Wolf for clearing up that the width wont make a significant difference.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050762
Thanks i was actually looking for this for a little bit but couldnt find it. I used the difference calculator on the wheels and tires section but it came up with 0% difference so i dont think it accounted for the width of the rim.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:18 PM   #9
Wolf 335
Major
Wolf 335's Avatar
Canada
247
Rep
1,428
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon92 View Post
Youre right, although i wouldnt say its wrong as long as it is within 1%.

The reason i didnt go 275 was when i test fitted it, it was just too big for my 9" rim, running PSS.

OP, i found the chart you can refer to for the differences, looks like your setup is good, i was only speaking from experience and caution.

Thanks Wolf for clearing up that the width wont make a significant difference.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050762
I have a 10" in the rear and 275 fills it in nicely, so I can imagine 9" would definitely be smaller for a 275 tire.

Sometimes you have to compromise rolling diameter, in order to get the fitment right.

Speedometer will be off by a hair, but it's still all good!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST