E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Planing to buy a 08 335xi, what to look out for

03-02-2014, 03:44 AM   #1
Vladik95
Registered
Rep

Drives: Planning to buy a 335xi

Planing to buy a 08 335xi, what to look out for

Hello everyone, my name is Vlad, im new to the forums but have been on here for some time I currently don't own a BMW but i plan to buy one around the beginning of summer this year. After doing some research i decided to go with a 2008 335xi. I did look up on some of the problems that often occur with this series, so i know a little bit of what to expect. I haven't decided if i want a sedan of a coupe though...

I would like to ask the 328xi/335xi owners for some tips on what to look out for when buying a 2008 335xi.
What kind of questions should i ask the dealer about the car to ensure that its a good buy?
Are there any signs/noises i should look out for when test driving the car?

Sorry about all these noob question as this will be my first time buying a BMW and buying a car from the dealer so its a learning process for me

If there is anything else you would like me to know about the 335xi please let me know Picture are always welcome to!

Thanks!

Last edited by Vladik95; 03-02-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
for the 335,

Ask if fuel pump and injectors have been upgraded to the post TSB replacement spec.

Ask if any parts on the car have been replaced, and for a full maintenance record, specifically any of the AWD componants and the wastegates/turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
CWysong
tuned n dropped 335xi
Rep

Drives: '09 335i Xdrive e90

1) GET SPORTS PACKAGE! The seats alone make it worth it. However, on the XI, suspension is the same on sport and non-sport models so you dont actually get a suspension upgrade

2) The main issue we have with our car is a High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) but BMW has warrantied this part through 100k miles on all models, so this is not such a big deal. From what I read, the HPFP can go out on any model at any time for no reason. Grandmas have had 20000 miles on thier cars and replaced two, and racer boys have had them over 100k that have never gone out.

3) Since you live in Vancouver, an Oil Cooler might not be necessary, but if you do plan on driving your car hard you will want an oil cooler. Not all XI models come with them, and no all sport models (which it states they do have them) do not come with them. I did not get one, yet I bought the 335xi sport package... its too bad really because my car slows up alot after hard driving in the summer. It doesnt add any HP or TQ, but the oil and air get too hot in the engine, and hot air/oil cant comress as much as cold air, so you get less oxygen in your engine thus a slight but noticable difference in speeds when its hot out (engine temps 260+)

Thats my .03 cents!

EDIT : this is my first severe winter with the x drive... let me tell you it is amazing. In Ohio it can get pretty rough and I have had no issues with traction in this car. I love it!
      03-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
jeguth1s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Coming from a non-turbo 330xi owner:

-Inspect the FWD Drive shaft: Water gets into the bearings and destroys them. $900 shaft.

-Inspect for leaks: Valve Cover, Oil pan gasket($1000 service), and oil filter housing gasket.

-Water Pump

-Service records

-Intake valve walnut blasting
      03-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWysong View Post
1) GET SPORTS PACKAGE! The seats alone make it worth it. However, on the XI, suspension is the same on sport and non-sport models so you dont actually get a suspension upgrade

2) The main issue we have with our car is a High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) but BMW has warrantied this part through 100k miles on all models, so this is not such a big deal. From what I read, the HPFP can go out on any model at any time for no reason. Grandmas have had 20000 miles on thier cars and replaced two, and racer boys have had them over 100k that have never gone out.

3) Since you live in Vancouver, an Oil Cooler might not be necessary, but if you do plan on driving your car hard you will want an oil cooler. Not all XI models come with them, and no all sport models (which it states they do have them) do not come with them. I did not get one, yet I bought the 335xi sport package... its too bad really because my car slows up alot after hard driving in the summer. It doesnt add any HP or TQ, but the oil and air get too hot in the engine, and hot air/oil cant comress as much as cold air, so you get less oxygen in your engine thus a slight but noticable difference in speeds when its hot out (engine temps 260+)

Thats my .03 cents!

EDIT : this is my first severe winter with the x drive... let me tell you it is amazing. In Ohio it can get pretty rough and I have had no issues with traction in this car. I love it!
For XI, you're gonna wanna confirm the sports package and 18" wheel package to get the oil cooler.
      03-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
critical05
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E92 335xi

With the Sports Package and 18" Rims, you get top speed bumped up to 150mph vs. the 135mph.

Other items to look for is if/when has the battery been replaced. Oem are about $200 plus registering the battery (programming the car). Check to see if the battery cable recall has been done (recent). Also it could be a fluke, their was a service bullition or recall on the airbag wiring harness ( not the seat sensor) going to the seats. Something about the connector or wire having too much resistance and can causing a SRS warning light. Huge job as the seats and center console needs to be removed.

Last edited by critical05; 03-06-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
CWysong
tuned n dropped 335xi
Rep

Drives: '09 335i Xdrive e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical05 View Post
With the Sports Package and 18" Rims, you get top speed bumped up to 150mph vs. the 135mph.

well yes, with the sports package you do get the higher MPH before the cpu cuts power to the engine... however..

please look at a JB4 tune. They are 400 bucks, add 50+ HP and can take you to a 12 second car with no other mods.

This also raises your top end to 150mph, since it reporgrams your computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Mark View Post
For XI, you're gonna wanna confirm the sports package and 18" wheel package to get the oil cooler.
The dealer tricked me! They put 18" e92 335i sport wheels on my car, so I said "yup, 18" sport wheels and sport package" but I found out they did this for the previous buyer, and the model did not origionally come with the 18" wheels. Booo.
      03-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
1. I say go for the coupe if you don't need a sedan , e92 is a beautiful shape i'm on my second love it!

2. like people already mentioned here, watch out for the water pump and hpfp

3. depending on how many miles the car has see when the spark plugs have been changed last if they were changed at all? (just to avoid future misfires .. not a big deal)

4. If the previous owner has an aftermarket set of tires / wheels.. ask about the specs.. just to check if maybe they were driving on a staggered setup more than 1% difference in rolling diameter ( extra precaution) if the person had been driving on a false setup for xdrive the transfer case will fail prematurely on you

5. try to get as much information about the car as possible I know that sounds like a stupid tip but honestly the more information the better that way you won't be guessing about anything down the line

6. if you're really inclined to be careful try to get a pre purchase car inspection. i personally don't know how that works but some people get it done.

7. TAKE YOUR TIME WITH IT! when I rushed on my first car purchase I really ended up getting a bad deal and found out things further down the line that I could of avoided if I had just taken the extra time to learn more about the car I was buying .. hope this helps! congrats
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:15 AM   #9
whiteCanadian335xi
Private
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Oh man I'm having the shittiest of luck with my E92 xi... First it starts with me getting a new used tranny at 42K 2 weeks ago and then i found out today that my oil pan gasket has a leak AND my trans is leaking too... Also my shock went out last week too... I just can't win. I got the vehicle inspected too and nothing seemed wrong with. I've had it for 5 months or so.
Appreciate 0