E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Does the single CD Business stereo have optical connection port?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
snerkler
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Does the single CD Business stereo have optical connection port?

As the title suggests. I'm still pursuing best stereo options, trying to keep as OEM as possible. I've contacted Dension to enquire about compatibility as the non idrive business stereo isn't listed. They inform me that if the head unit has an optical connection port then it will work.
snerkler is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
B33M3R
Captain
 
B33M3R's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 520d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridgeshire

Posts: 696
iTrader: (0)

Hi

You need to keep your stereo related posts on the same thread mate, I almost wrote you a lengthy reply the other day before seeing gIzzE had already done the honours on your other thread! By the way, he knows his stuff so I'd take his advice with your options!

I'm 99% sure it doesn't have optical out. If you post up on the Audio/Bluetooth section of the forum your probably going to get more input, just keep together or you'll likely get ignored
__________________
F10 520d M Sport Auto - Sophisto Grey Xirallic - 19" 351M - HK Audio - Sun Protection Glass - Spoiler - Professional Media - Enhanced Bluetooth - Adaptive Headlights - MFD - Ambient Lighting - Folding Mirrors - Reversing Camera
Check out my E90stereo install guide - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954
B33M3R is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
snerkler
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33M3R View Post
Hi

You need to keep your stereo related posts on the same thread mate, I almost wrote you a lengthy reply the other day before seeing gIzzE had already done the honours on your other thread! By the way, he knows his stuff so I'd take his advice with your options!

I'm 99% sure it doesn't have optical out. If you post up on the Audio/Bluetooth section of the forum your probably going to get more input, just keep together or you'll likely get ignored
Thanks for the reply, and tip. Strange how forums differ, I used to ask related questions in the same thread on another forum and they asked me to start another thread for new questions (even though they were related, as in this case). I hope I don't get confused with the different forum etiquettes lol

gIzzE does seem very knowledgeable and I am taking heed of his advice. My trouble is I don't think I can afford to go the exact route he is suggesting, but it certainly has been very helpful
snerkler is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
B33M3R
Captain
 
B33M3R's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 520d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridgeshire

Posts: 696
iTrader: (0)

No worries, not looking to dissuade you, it's just a bit easier if it's all related to your stereo build people will know what you've already been discussing and also get the notification emails for new replies.

It's a minefield upgrading the stereo's on BMW's and there's a few pitfalls if you're not careful. It can easily turn into an obsession though!

You've been warned
__________________
F10 520d M Sport Auto - Sophisto Grey Xirallic - 19" 351M - HK Audio - Sun Protection Glass - Spoiler - Professional Media - Enhanced Bluetooth - Adaptive Headlights - MFD - Ambient Lighting - Folding Mirrors - Reversing Camera
Check out my E90stereo install guide - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954
B33M3R is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
snerkler
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33M3R View Post
No worries, not looking to dissuade you, it's just a bit easier if it's all related to your stereo build people will know what you've already been discussing and also get the notification emails for new replies.
No that's fine mate, I totally understand

Quote:
It's a minefield upgrading the stereo's on BMW's and there's a few pitfalls if you're not careful. It can easily turn into an obsession though!

You've been warned
It already has lol . My main hurdle now is the warranty issue and how BMW can refuse to look at any electrical work. But I guess that's the risk you take
snerkler is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
B33M3R
Captain
 
B33M3R's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 520d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridgeshire

Posts: 696
iTrader: (0)

BMW shouldn't really be scaring you into not upgrading your stereo, maybe scarings too strong a word, planting the seed of doubt may be a more appropriate term. The Apline upgrade is going to be the safest option but, they would have to show something you've done caused a fault if you went another way.

Providing you take your time and use good quality components youre fine. I can't recall seeing any threads of people having any problems with adverse damage. Saying that though a couple of years ago my brother bought Parrot head unit from Halfords and got a free fitting offer. The guy blew two units one after the other in front of him and started a small electrical fire just connecting them at which point my brother told him to do one. Clearly a moron.

It's quite right though and only fair that if the worst did happen though why should BMW foot the bill?

What are you main wants and what is your absolute budget?
__________________
F10 520d M Sport Auto - Sophisto Grey Xirallic - 19" 351M - HK Audio - Sun Protection Glass - Spoiler - Professional Media - Enhanced Bluetooth - Adaptive Headlights - MFD - Ambient Lighting - Folding Mirrors - Reversing Camera
Check out my E90stereo install guide - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954
B33M3R is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
snerkler
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33M3R View Post
BMW shouldn't really be scaring you into not upgrading your stereo, maybe scarings too strong a word, planting the seed of doubt may be a more appropriate term. The Apline upgrade is going to be the safest option but, they would have to show something you've done caused a fault if you went another way.

Providing you take your time and use good quality components youre fine. I can't recall seeing any threads of people having any problems with adverse damage. Saying that though a couple of years ago my brother bought Parrot head unit from Halfords and got a free fitting offer. The guy blew two units one after the other in front of him and started a small electrical fire just connecting them at which point my brother told him to do one. Clearly a moron.

It's quite right though and only fair that if the worst did happen though why should BMW foot the bill?

What are you main wants and what is your absolute budget?
BMW certainly have planted a huge seed I can totally understand BMW not footing the bill if an aftermarket product caused an electrical problem, but from what BMW have implied if they see that you have an aftermarket product fitted they could refuse to look at the issue, let alone fix it regardless of cause. However, I guess this is a very grey area and one that solicitors could fight all day over.
My concern is not if I have a stereo problem, but if say I had an a/c issue that could add up to 1k. If BMW refused to look at that I'd be screwed.

As for budget I've got about 500 spare cash to spend. So either I can get and aftermarket head unit alpine system now (Alpine system would be bunged on my finance), get aftermarket sound system now and then save for a head unit, or get a head unit and save for an aftermarket sound system. However, it could take a while to save.

I've been looking at Double DIN multimedia units (without nav) at around 300. Then by the time you've added the fascia, adapter for PDC and steering wheel controls etc etc plus fitting it'll amount to 500 ish. I've been looking at the pioneer, JVC, Kenwood and Clarions in this price range but cannot find out on these whether the phonebook comes up as it does on a smartphone or not (ie can search contacts via name, and whether incoming calls come up with contact names), or whether it's just numbers
snerkler is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
B33M3R
Captain
 
B33M3R's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 520d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridgeshire

Posts: 696
iTrader: (0)

It's a consideration I'd say but

a) Quite unlikely you would suffer any I'll effects.
b) I't would be quite a harsh dealer not to even look at an issue just because you've fitted an after market radio.

Let's not forget the dealer does make money out of warranty work so it would have to be quite apparent from the outset it was related to something you've fitted/done and not going to be something they could claim back from BMW. I suppose if it did happen you could ask for them for the reasons in writing and kick up a fuss etc.

At the end of the day if you think you'll lose sleep over it go the Alpine route. There was a brand new kit the other day on the classifieds that went for 200 so you could consider waiting for another to come up.

500 will get swallowed up quite easily once you think about changing out a HU. It would however pay for a nice set of front component speakers, four channel amp and associated bits and pieces to run your front doors and under seats on separate channels (essentially what the Alpine upgrade does).

The only real issue here is the HU on the base system as a tweaked EQ which ideally should be reversed before adding after market speakers however, plenty of people have upgraded without worrying about this and been perfectly happy with the results.
__________________
F10 520d M Sport Auto - Sophisto Grey Xirallic - 19" 351M - HK Audio - Sun Protection Glass - Spoiler - Professional Media - Enhanced Bluetooth - Adaptive Headlights - MFD - Ambient Lighting - Folding Mirrors - Reversing Camera
Check out my E90stereo install guide - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954
B33M3R is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #9
snerkler
Private
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chesterfield, UK

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33M3R View Post
It's a consideration I'd say but

a) Quite unlikely you would suffer any I'll effects.
b) I't would be quite a harsh dealer not to even look at an issue just because you've fitted an after market radio.

Let's not forget the dealer does make money out of warranty work so it would have to be quite apparent from the outset it was related to something you've fitted/done and not going to be something they could claim back from BMW. I suppose if it did happen you could ask for them for the reasons in writing and kick up a fuss etc.

At the end of the day if you think you'll lose sleep over it go the Alpine route. There was a brand new kit the other day on the classifieds that went for 200 so you could consider waiting for another to come up.

500 will get swallowed up quite easily once you think about changing out a HU. It would however pay for a nice set of front component speakers, four channel amp and associated bits and pieces to run your front doors and under seats on separate channels (essentially what the Alpine upgrade does).

The only real issue here is the HU on the base system as a tweaked EQ which ideally should be reversed before adding after market speakers however, plenty of people have upgraded without worrying about this and been perfectly happy with the results.
Thanks very much for the info. Looking at finances I think I'm going to have to go with the Alpine and add it to my car's finance, and then go aftermarket Head unit. Obvioulsy if finances permitted I would take gIzzE's advice and look at the blaupunkt system, but unfortunately I don't think this is going to be possible.

I need to find a store that's got several for me to have a 'play' with, see which UI I prefer and which have full telephone contacts. Also, I'm still waiting to hear from Dynavin whether or not they're going to be releasing the E9x with the Android OS/UI and if this will have a proper telephone contacts list. If they do then I think I'll be going for this unit due to the OEM look.
snerkler is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #10
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
 
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cornwall

Posts: 631
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33M3R View Post
BMW shouldn't really be scaring you into not upgrading your stereo, maybe scarings too strong a word, planting the seed of doubt may be a more appropriate term. The Apline upgrade is going to be the safest option but, they would have to show something you've done caused a fault if you went another way.

Providing you take your time and use good quality components youre fine. I can't recall seeing any threads of people having any problems with adverse damage. Saying that though a couple of years ago my brother bought Parrot head unit from Halfords and got a free fitting offer. The guy blew two units one after the other in front of him and started a small electrical fire just connecting them at which point my brother told him to do one. Clearly a moron.

It's quite right though and only fair that if the worst did happen though why should BMW foot the bill?

What are you main wants and what is your absolute budget?
About the only thing I would trust Halfords to fit is a wiper blade! It scares me how untrained their staff are!
Falmouthboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
B33M3R
Captain
 
B33M3R's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 520d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridgeshire

Posts: 696
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Thanks very much for the info. Looking at finances I think I'm going to have to go with the Alpine and add it to my car's finance, and then go aftermarket Head unit. Obvioulsy if finances permitted I would take gIzzE's advice and look at the blaupunkt system, but unfortunately I don't think this is going to be possible.

I need to find a store that's got several for me to have a 'play' with, see which UI I prefer and which have full telephone contacts. Also, I'm still waiting to hear from Dynavin whether or not they're going to be releasing the E9x with the Android OS/UI and if this will have a proper telephone contacts list. If they do then I think I'll be going for this unit due to the OEM look.
If you're leaning towards changing out the head unit I would strongly advise you not to bother with the Alpine retrofit. It will not take a low level pre out feed which any after market HU will have and really limit things for you, upgrade wise. Especially on finance as you'll end up paying through the arse for it as well!
__________________
F10 520d M Sport Auto - Sophisto Grey Xirallic - 19" 351M - HK Audio - Sun Protection Glass - Spoiler - Professional Media - Enhanced Bluetooth - Adaptive Headlights - MFD - Ambient Lighting - Folding Mirrors - Reversing Camera
Check out my E90stereo install guide - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954
B33M3R is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
B33M3R
Captain
 
B33M3R's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 520d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridgeshire

Posts: 696
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmouthboy View Post
About the only thing I would trust Halfords to fit is a wiper blade! It scares me how untrained their staff are!
Agreed, thing is my brother was more than capable of doing it himself but as it came with a free fitting voucher he thought he may as well let them do it. 'Apparently' this guy came in especially to fit it as well, can't imagine why as it's a simple job, and as he blew the only two units they had in stock he didn't even end up getting one fitted!
__________________
F10 520d M Sport Auto - Sophisto Grey Xirallic - 19" 351M - HK Audio - Sun Protection Glass - Spoiler - Professional Media - Enhanced Bluetooth - Adaptive Headlights - MFD - Ambient Lighting - Folding Mirrors - Reversing Camera
Check out my E90stereo install guide - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954
B33M3R is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST