Hello and welcome to this DIY! This is one of the simplest things you can do to spruce up your cabin if you're willing to part with at least a "Benjamin"(less if you can snap one up here on E90POST. GOOD LUCK!). Now this is a DIY that's been posted before, but I've always read
about it, but never seen
it. That said and being a visual type person I decided since I was going to do it today, I might as well snap some pics along the way to share with the community, so here goes nothin'.
Pop always said, "Always have the right tool for the job" and even though you can use an array of things to pry up the boot, I still hold up that bit of wisdom as gospel. My suggestion, get a pry tool like this:
You can buy a decent set for all sorts of little jobs on your ride from $10-15, so why not?
I found that the best area for me to pry the boot from was at the rear. Once that comes up all the rest follows nice and easy.
Once the boots up, pull it over the top of the handbrake to expose the zip-tie and cut it, then remove the boot. Be careful not to puncture the leather, but if you do you can always adjust the boot's position when you re-fasten it when putting it all back together.
Now that the boot's off, pull up the handle, get a firm grip on it and push, pull or whatever you have to do to get it off and be careful not to slam your front console. I used a push/twist method and it came right off.
Next, get you're nice new handle and simply insert it onto the handbrake arm.
Now with the boot inside out, slip it over the handle and position the top seams over the top corners of the handle and zip tie them in place. If you bunch up any leather at all, orient the excess towards the bottom of the handle. Also take note that where the zip-tie connects, you'll want to orient that towards the bottom as well. You don't want a little bump exposed at the top.
And finally, you just reattach the boot and admire the beauty of it.
Now I just have to get a matching shift boot! Have a good one all!