Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > CSL replica help

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #1
JBimmer
Rep

Drives: Silver 325

Question CSL replica help

I just installed the 19" CSL replica wheels from **********s and I am having a few problems.

1. Slight rubbing of front tire during turns.

The wheel is 8.5" with a +45 offset and has a 235/35 tire. Would a 5mm spacer help eliminate the rubbing? Does running a 5mm spacer require the use of longer lug bolts?

2. Centercaps do not fit flush into the opening in the wheel.

Is the E90 center cap different than the E46 center cap? They don't stick out much, maybe 1/32", but it is just enough that someone could pull them off which I am certain will happen if I leave them the way they are (center caps seem to get stolen alot in my area) :mad:

Thaks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
JBimmer
Rep

I think I will just put on a 12mm spacer with longer lug bolts. Hopefully this will eliminate the rub. Still don't know about the canter caps though.......Anyone have any data?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Mark
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1M

Garage List
Some answers mixed with questions

1) If the rubbing is coming from the outside of the wheel (look on the tire sidewall and if you see lines running across the sidewall then its probably rubbing on the outside). If it is, then spacers would only make the rubbing problem worse not better.

If the rubbing is from the inside then yea spacers would definatly help the problem !
      09-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
JBimmer
Rep

I don't think it is rubbing on the outside and I don't see anything abnormal on the sidewall. I was feeling around behind the wheel and I suspect it may be rubbing against the strut or the wheel well liner. I'm going to try to pull off the wheel over the weekend and look for anything obvious. Natureboy stated he has slight rubbing on hard turns as well and he runs a 40 offset, so I am thinking my 45 offset is to blame. I believe stock offset is 35 so that is why I was considering a 10 maybe 12 mm spacer. Thank you for your response.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
eros613
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i

JB,
Your stock front wheels had around a 21mm gap between the rim and the strut, with a 19mm gap between the tire and strut, if you were running the 225/45. You lost half your clearance with the new offset then you went to a tire with a larger sectional width so my guess is you are rubbing on the strut housing. It will be easy to tell when you take the tire off because you will be missing some paint on the strut.
I did much the same thing with my new wheels that have a 40mm offset. I am using a 10mm spacer from Rogue Engineering to move everything back to the orignal specs.. They make a nice piece and include the longer bolts you will need.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
JBimmer
Rep

I took my drivers side wheel off and did not notice anything unusual, no paint scrapes or even dust irregularities. I am still probably going to go with spacers though, now I just need to decide 10mm or 12mm. Anyone have an opinion?
Appreciate 0