E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 328i (e90/Non-turbo) Problems?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
RobertoTaylor
Private
4
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

2011 328i (e90/Non-turbo) Problems?

I'm looking to purchase a used 2011 328i for the wife with low miles and only 2 owners. It has a clean Carfax, and seems to have only been serviced at BMW dealerships. Are there any things I should be looking for in particular with this vehicle?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
AM330i
Second Lieutenant
AM330i's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
213
Posts

Drives: 08 535xi
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rochester, NY

iTrader: (0)

328's are very reliable, mine has about 65k and I have had no problems with it so far, bought it with 45k. water pumps I guess are a common failure but I have never had one fail on me, I have owned 3 e90's and I also have an e60 n54. no need to be too worried about it, just know the signs and be prepared since they aren't very cheap. best thing is to get a pre-purchase inspection by a bmw specialist and if you need help with any findings of the inspection, let us know. 1 last suggestion I have is to make sure there are 2 keys. I have had to buy an extra key for all of the BMW's that I have bought, and they are very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
phillycx
Private
phillycx's Avatar
3
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2009 328i sedan
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (0)

I agree with the post above. Water pump is the biggie also check for valve cover gasket leaks and suspension issues if you live in an area wrought with potholes. I have a 2009 328i that I bought used one owner with about 28,--- miles on it. I have had no issues and have only had to do regular maintenance. I will need to replace my shocks soon secondary to our horrible roads, but that is not a common issue as far as I know. The car currently has 76,--- miles. You should be good to go with a pre-purchase inspection. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
BDSBMer
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2011 328xi 6sp MT Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM330i View Post
328's are very reliable, mine has about 65k and I have had no problems with it so far, bought it with 45k. water pumps I guess are a common failure but I have never had one fail on me, I have owned 3 e90's and I also have an e60 n54. no need to be too worried about it, just know the signs and be prepared since they aren't very cheap. best thing is to get a pre-purchase inspection by a bmw specialist and if you need help with any findings of the inspection, let us know. 1 last suggestion I have is to make sure there are 2 keys. I have had to buy an extra key for all of the BMW's that I have bought, and they are very expensive.
Mine has 45k and no major issues yet. I too needed a second key and went for a valet key from the dealer for a lot less money!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
WhiteBeard
First Lieutenant
Canada
38
Rep
306
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi e90 AW Auto
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Cambridge, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoTaylor View Post
I'm looking to purchase a used 2011 328i for the wife with low miles and only 2 owners. It has a clean Carfax, and seems to have only been serviced at BMW dealerships. Are there any things I should be looking for in particular with this vehicle?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Agree with above posts. 2011 is LCI and a lot of issues were sorted out from already reliable pre-LCI 328. Judging that you live in AZ (I'm there right now) I can say that the cars are basically conserved as new due to no snow and very low humidity and good condition straight roads. I wish we had such weather and roads in Canada lol. Just do a good inspection before purchasing and check for what was done at dealership to know what you can save in future and what needs to be done. Nothing specific to that model year, even water pump issue is often exaggerated, I have 2007 pre-LCI 328xi and my water pump is still good. In any way you don't need to worry about lots of stuff until you hit >100K miles. Then you can do a preemptive maintenance: change water pump with coolant, but I wouldn't touch it before that. If anything you can order a complete kit that includes water pump, thermostat, BMW coolant, all bolts and etc. for like $500 online and keep it until you'll need it

P.S. this kit is for $500 but there are others too https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...1517632426kt4/
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
Mr. Toad
Private First Class
Mr. Toad's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
192
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoTaylor View Post
Are there any things I should be looking for in particular with this vehicle?
Here's a high-level repair history for mine:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...19&postcount=9

Since the above post, the dealer has also replaced the oil filter housing gasket under the CPO warranty.
__________________
2011 328i Coupe | Alpine White | Oyster/Black Dakota Leather | M Sport Package | Premium Package | iDrive | Harman Kardon Surround | Steptronic
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
RobertoTaylor
Private
4
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the info guys. We are going to go look at it tonight and test drive it. If I like what I see, I'll have a shop check it out before pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
Wilt
Captain
91
Rep
858
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SF Bay area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
Here's a high-level repair history for mine:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...19&postcount=9

Since the above post, the dealer has also replaced the oil filter housing gasket under the CPO warranty.
2011 328i SULEV now with 58500 miles, has had these warranty issues addressed
  • passenger seat occupancy sensor (43k @ 4yr 8mo) under CPO
  • eccentric shaft sensor (47k @ 4yr 10mo) under SULEV warranty
  • oil filter housing gasket (55k @ 5yr 6mo) under CPO
  • coil failure on Cyl 4 (58k @ 6yr 0mo) under SULEV warranty

no issues found during new car warranty period, other than recall for battery cable. On original battery, water pump, thermostat.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST