E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Model Year 2011 Fall Updates Revisited (Beginning September Production)

09-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Exclamation BMW Model Year 2011 Fall Updates Revisited (Beginning September Production)

Reported on BIMMERPOST HOMEPAGE.

BMW Model Year 2011 Fall Update

* Press Release

Woodcliff Lake, N.J., September 8, 2010... For most BMW models, the 2011 model year began in spring 2010. Below, we outline each of the 2011 models including the changes that will take place from September production.

BMW’s new inline-6 gasoline engine.

Beginning with model year 2011 production, several BMW models (135i, 335i, 535i, 535i Gran Turismo, X5 xDrive35i, and X6 xDrive35i) will switch to the new, single twin-scroll turbocharged inline-6 “N55” engine. The newest BMW inline-6 engine is the first BMW inline-6 to combine turbocharging, High Precision direct fuel injection, and Valvetronic variable intake technology. It features a single, mid-sized turbocharger with a “twin-scroll” housing to boost performance and minimize the response lag. Together, this combination produces the same at 300hp and 300 lb-ft of the previous N54, but the fuel efficiency improves and the emissions are reduced.

A further advantage of turbocharging is that this is the most weight-efficient method to boost engine power and performance. The N55 turbocharged inline-6 weighs approximately 150 lbs. less than an equally powerful eight-cylinder engine displacing 4.0 liters. This lower weight means a significant advantage not only in fuel economy, but also in balancing the car's weight distribution.

Using Valvetronic for the first time on a turbocharged inline-6 allows the engine to “inhale” air for combustion with virtually no delay and with reduced pumping losses. As a result, the engine makes power more quickly than ever before, and this is proven by the N55’s ability to reach peak torque at 1200rpm, 200rpm earlier than its twin-turbo predecessor [N54].

Packaging is better for the new engine, as the BMW Digital Motor Electronics (DME) control unit is now mounted directly to the engine, shortening the required wiring harness length and providing more efficient cooling to the DME through the use of intake air. Furthermore, using a single turbocharger means only a single exhaust stream must find its way to the catalytic converter, so only a single catalytic converter is used on the new engine. The single catalytic converter can be activated more quickly at cold start than the preceding twin-catalyst configuration, so the new engine has a cleaner cold start emissions signature than its predecessor. The new “N55” engine will be installed in the 135i Coupe and Convertible, the 335i Sedan, Coupe and Convertible (excludes 335is models), the new 535i Sedan when it arrives this summer, the 535i Gran Turismo arriving this spring and finally, the X5 xDrive35i and X6 xDrive35i Sports Activity Vehicles® starting with April production.

2011 BMW 1 Series Coupe & Convertible.

In the 1 Series, BMW introduced a modern and authentic performance coupe that draws inspiration from the iconic BMW 2002 model of some 40 years ago. By combining sporty rear wheel drive dynamics, agile handling, powerful engines, and seating for four, the 1 Series Coupe rekindles the flames that the BMW 2002 first ignited. The 2011 model year 1 Series Coupe and Convertible went on sale in spring and are available in two versions: the 128i and the 135i.

For model year 2011, the BMW 135i receives the all-new “N55” inline-6 engine (see Page 1), and the sporty 7-speed Dual Clutch Transmission from the Z4 Roadster replaces the 6-speed Steptronic automatic transmission.

The 2011 128i Coupe and Convertible continue to be powered by the 3.0-liter, 230 horsepower inline 6-cylinder engine that generates 200 lb-ft of torque. The engine features Valvetronic throttle-less intake technology and magnesium /aluminum lightweight construction.

An M Sport Package is now available on all 1 Series models, with sporty components perfectly matched to each vehicle. Last year, the 1 Series received interior enhancements which include the 4th generation iDrive system when equipped with optional BMW Navigation. It features new menus, new direct-select keys as well as Programmable Memory Keys. With access to GoogleMaps database search capability, subscribers to the optional BMW Assist Convenience Plan can access BMW Search to find a point of interest with a keyword.

2011 BMW 3 Series Sedan & Sports Wagon.

The 2011 3 Series Sedan and Sports Wagon are poised to maintain their legendary market leadership with the latest exterior and interior styling, state-of-the-art technologies, and superb ergonomics.

The 2011 335i Sedan receives BMW’s remarkable new turbocharged inline-6 engine with Valvetronic throttle-less intake technology and High Precision direct fuel injection, coupled with a single twin-scroll turbocharger. Output is 300 horsepower. The celebrated 6-speed manual transmission remains standard and the 6-speed Steptronic automatic is optional. 328i models continue to feature the 3.0-liter, 230 horsepower inline-6 engine with magnesium / aluminum lightweight construction and Valvetronic.

With a subtle freshening in 2009, the benchmark 3 Series received updates to exterior design features, a more dynamic profile, and a wider stance. The 4th generation iDrive controller and high-resolution display are now included when equipped with the Navigation system option.

Popular on 3 Series models is an M Sport Package, with sporty components perfectly matched to each vehicle. Beyond the popular Sport Package, the M Sport Package includes an Anthracite headliner, an exterior aerodynamic package with BMW Individual Shadowline trim, and M-specific wheels, door sills, footrest, gearshift lever, and steering wheel. The M exterior color LeMans Blue Metallic is also available on 3 Series models with the M Sport Package.

2011 3 Series Coupe & Convertible

BMW has announced substantial enhancements to the 2011 3 Series Coupe and Convertible, including outstanding style updates for 328i and 335i models and a new engine for 335i models. A new model, the high-performance 335is, also becomes available for the 2011 model year (see next section). All 2011 3 Series Coupe and Convertible models went on sale in Spring 2010.

All-new is the engine for the 335i model (see Page 1). The 6-speed manual gearbox, beloved by North American enthusiast drivers, remains standard, and the well-known 6-speed Steptronic automatic is optional, now available with “pull-style” shift paddles on the multifunction steering wheel.

The profiles of the BMW 3 Series Coupe and Convertible are instantly recognizable at first glance. Beyond the basic shape of the cars and their classic lines, the new design of the headlights, the enhanced depth and detail of the taillights, the interior, and even the exterior mirrors were specifically created for the Coupe and Convertible. These unique design elements reflect the sporty character of the car. The driver who chooses a two-door vehicle desires a car with dynamic looks as well as driving performance. With this in mind, BMW engineers and designers set out to create a unique, unmistakable blend of design features and most importantly, driving pleasure.

2011 335is Coupe & Convertible

The hot new BMW 335is Coupe and Convertible are each destined to take a place in history among the line of desirable, often collectible, BMW “s” models. Based on the newly-enhanced BMW 3 Series Coupe and Convertible (see previous page), the new BMW 335is features the award-winning, twin-turbocharged BMW inline-6 engine, specially tuned and equipped to produce 320 horsepower and 332 lb-ft of torque from its 3.0-liters. For the first time on a BMW 3 Series in the US, the 7-speed Double Clutch Transmission (DCT) with Launch Control will be available as an option, in place of the standard 6-speed manual transmission. Equipped with the DCT, the 335is Coupe is capable of 0-60mph acceleration in 5 seconds flat.

The “s” was first seen by North Americans on the original BMW 3 Series, which was imported from 1977-1983. The 1980 BMW 320is included the most desirable 3 Series equipment, including Recaro sport seats, sport steering wheel, halogen high-beams, sunroof, dual color-keyed wing mirrors, anti-sway bars, exterior aerodynamic enhancements, and cross-spoke light-alloy wheels. Later in the1980s, the BMW 3 Series and 5 Series were each available as “s” models, including the BMW 325es, 325is, and 535is. Again, sticking with a proven formula, BMW gave the “s” models enhanced aerodynamics, sport suspension, on-board computer (OBC) and Check Control, sport leather seats, and other features. As the newest “s” model, therefore, the 2011 BMW 335is follows its lineage by offering stunning looks, more power, and a raft of functional, performance-inspired equipment tailored to suit the enthusiast driver.

2011 BMW 5 Series Sedan

The world debut of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan marks the epitome of modern design and driving pleasure in the world of premium midsize sedans. Through its athletic and executive looks, driving dynamics typical of BMW, and innovative comfort and safety features, the sixth generation of BMW’s executive express accurately reflects the standards upheld by the world’s most successful manufacturer of premium cars.

With the longest wheelbase in the segment, a long and sleek hood, short overhangs, and a coupe-like roofline, the new BMW 5 Series Sedan stands out clearly from the competition. Overall, the aesthetic looks of the car are achieved through balanced proportions. Design features emblematic of BMW are to be found at the front with its kidney grille inclined slightly forward, in the stylish and elegant side view of the car, and at the muscular rear.

Within the interior, precise functionality and a fresh ambience come together in perfect harmony, unmistakable style, and clear orientation to the driver. Highly advanced drivetrain and suspension technologies combine agile handling for the driver and a high standard of riding comfort for passengers. When equipped with the Sport Package, the new BMW 5 Series Sedan includes Adaptive Drive, which encompasses Driving Dynamics Control, Electronic Damper Control, and Active Roll Stabilization. Optional Integral Active Steering will virtually extend or shorten the vehicle’s wheelbase for improved stability at high speeds and enhanced agility at lower speeds.

The new BMW 5 Series Sedan is currently available with V-8 and inline-6 gasoline engines. The top-of-the-range BMW 550i is equipped with BMW’s “reverse-flow” V-8 engine featuring twin turbochargers and High Precision direct injection for maximum output of 400 hp. The new inline-6 of the BMW 535i (see Page 1) features a single twin-scroll turbocharger, High Precision direct injection, and, combined for the first time with turbocharging, Valvetronic throttle-less intake technology. It delivers a maximum output of 300 hp and 300 lb-ft. The 535i and 550i are available with a choice of 6-speed manual transmission, and BMW’s new 8-speed automatic transmission, or “Sport Automatic” 8-speed.

The third variant of the 5 Series lineup is the 528i, featuring a 240 hp inline-6 with lightweight magnesium-aluminum construction and Valvetronic throttle-less intake technology for efficiency and unparalleled responsiveness. The 8-speed Steptronic automatic transmission is standard on the 528i. MSRP for the 528i is $45,425, including $875 Destination & Handling.

Beginning with September production, xDrive will be available on the top two 5 Series models, with pricing for the 550i xDrive and 535i xDrive at $52,775 and $62,875 respectively.

The M Sport Package returns to the 5 Series delivering performance and style for the most enthusiastic of BMW drivers. The package adds a number of M style visual cues to the Dynamic Handling Package. The M Aerodynamic Kit gives the 5 series a sportier and more aggressive look, while the M double-spoke light alloy wheels and performance run-flat tires (size 18” on the 528i and 19” on the 535i, 550i, 535i xDrive, and 550i xDrive) back up the look with impressive performance and handling. The M Steering Wheel adds to this package by providing the most ergonomic grip for confidence during dynamic maneuvers. To accentuate the M Sport package, the interior is fit with Aluminum Hexagon trim (wood available).

BMW EfficientDynamics technologies are featured in appropriate combinations on each model, including features such as Brake Energy Regeneration, Electric Power Steering, a gearshift point indicator, active cooling air flaps, and on-demand operation of engine accessory drives. Lightweight materials are used intelligently to balance the vehicle. Components such as doors, hood, front fenders, and suspension assemblies are made of aluminum.

The driver assistance systems offered with the new 5 Series include an all-new Parking Assistant, Top View cameras, and Frontal Collision Warning with application of the brakes when ordered with Active Cruise Control plus Stop & Go. Other driver assistance features available include Blind Spot Warning, Lane Departure Warning, a Head-Up Display, and BMW Night Vision with Pedestrian Detection.

2011 BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo

Entering its second model year, the 2011 BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo adds new facets to BMW’s Ultimate Driving Machine tradition and refines the concept of first-class travel. For the very first time, the attributes of an elegant sedan, a contemporary Sports Activity Vehicle and a classic Gran Turismo are masterfully melded into a single, harmonious vehicle concept.

New for 2011 are the xDrive all-wheel drive equipped 5 Series Gran Turismo models. The 535i xDrive Gran Turismo will be priced from $59,175 and the 550i xDrive Gran Turismo will be priced from $67,075, in each case a $2300 premium over the traditional rear-wheel drive models.

As a result of final confirmatory fuel economy testing, the highway and combined values for the 550i Gran Turismo have been increased by one MPG. This eliminates the gas guzzler tax on all 2011 5 Series Gran Turismo models.

The traditional European term Gran Turismo (Grand Touring) was first applied by Italian carmakers in the 1950s when they combined the performance, handling, and style of a 2-seat sports car with luxurious amenities and luggage room for each occupant. BMW’s new Gran Turismo nurtures this tradition in its own contemporary way, providing exceptional space, style, luxury, and comfort for four passengers, plus the performance and driving pleasure of a BMW.

Starting with September 2010 production, the 535i Gran Turismo will be available with xDrive, preserving the Gran Turismo’s high dynamic ability in all four seasons. This unique combination gives BMW’s newest 5 Series Gran Turismo a new level of performance and efficiency in the true spirit of BMW EfficientDynamics.

BMW’s signature corona rings feature LED technology and take on several functions: as parking lights, as an identifying element when the headlights are on, and as daytime running lights. The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo interior combines space, luxury and stylish materials to create a premium ambiance. In the rear seats as well as up front, there’s a sense of generous space and comprehensive amenities, promoting relaxed and accommodating travel.

In standard form, the rear seating accommodates three passengers, with a 40-20-40 split of the backrest allowing for selective fold-down. In addition, the entire seat cushion can be adjusted 3.9-in. fore and aft and the individual backrest sections can be adjusted over a range of 15°-33°. Optional as part of the Luxury Rear Seating Package are individual, multi-adjustable power seats, separated by a center console with cupholders and a storage compartment.

Accompanying the variable seating accommodations is variable cargo capacity, ranging from an already generous 15.5 cu ft. in the sedan-style enclosed trunk to fully 60.0 cu ft. (DIN rating) with folded rear seats and SAV-style long cargo floor. A variable partition between the trunk and passenger compartments provides occupants with sedan-type climate and noise insulation even when the trunk is being loaded, yet moves with the seats when they are adjusted and folds flat when the greatest capacity is needed.

2011 BMW 7 Series Sedan

Apart from the addition of the powerful ActiveHybrid 7 and the inline-6 powered 740i and 740Li models, the 7 Series goes unchanged for the 2011 model year, with one exception:

the sensor for Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go will be a smaller, less obvious sensor unit first introduced on the new 5 Series. The placement of the sensor on the 7 Series will remain to the right of kidney grille.

The BMW 760Li Sedan went on sale in Fall of 2009 featuring the latest chapter in BMW’s decades-long history of harmonious V12 engines. This newest BMW V12 produces 535 horsepower and 550 pound-feet of torque with help from twin turbochargers and High Precision Direct Injection. It also marked the first use of BMW’s new 8-speed automatic transmission. The outcome is a 0-60 mph time of 4.5 seconds in a stylish, luxurious package. The long list of standard features and amenities ensures the comfort of each occupant.

Also, in the continuing development of BMW’s flagship 7 Series, BMW’s intelligent xDrive all-wheel drive system has become available on the 750i and 750Li Sedans. In the 7 Series application, xDrive has been refined and enhanced to ensure a new benchmark is established for handling characteristics among all-wheel drive sedans. xDrive limits understeer by shifting power rearward (up to 80% to the rear axle) while preserving the stability for which BMW has been so widely recognized. Also, the system can now apply a precise combination of throttle and individual rear-wheel braking to maintain neutral handling in a corner, regardless of road surface conditions. These key enhancements to xDrive ensure that the 750i xDrive and 750Li xDrive are two of the most nimble all-wheel drive sedans available in any vehicle segment.

For 2011, BMW announced the North American return of the 7 Series with an inline-6 engine. The new BMW 740i and BMW 740Li achieve a remarkable balance of power, efficiency, and sporty driving dynamics. Both models went on sale in the United States as 2011 models in Spring 2010.

In 1977, the original BMW 7 Series was launched exclusively with inline-6 propulsion. The United States first met the BMW 7 Series in the 1978 model year as the 733i Sedan. The 733i featured a 3.2-liter inline-6 engine rated at 197 horsepower. The 733i remained on sale in America until it was replaced in 1985 by the BMW 735i Sedan. The 735i, which featured an updated inline-6 engine producing 218 horsepower from 3.4 liters, enjoyed a production run that lasted through the end of the 1992 model year. The 735i was joined by the extended-wheelbase 735iL in May of 1988.

The 2011 model 740i and 740Li feature BMW’s internationally acclaimed twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-6 engine with output of 315 horsepower. All-aluminum engine construction, High Precision direct fuel injection, VANOS variable camshaft technology, and Brake Energy Regeneration are a few of the technologies used under the BMW EfficientDynamics engineering philosophy to place the 740i and 740Li among the most powerful six-cylinder luxury sedans in the world. Delivering power to the rear wheels is BMW’s 6-speed automatic transmission, well-known for fast, smooth gearshifts and an ability to intelligently adapt to the driver. Both models are available with the full complement of 7 Series options and packages, including the M Sport Package, Driver Assistance Package, Luxury Seating Packages, Rear Entertainment Package, and even the BMW Individual Composition Package.

2011 BMW ActiveHybrid 7

The BMW ActiveHybrid 7 arrived on American shores late in the second quarter of 2010 as a 2011 model. Based on the 5th-generation BMW 7 Series, this unique car sets new standards for performance and efficiency in the premium luxury class.

Symbiosis of a twin-turbocharged V-8 engine with a 3-phase synchronous electric motor gives the BMW ActiveHybrid 7 a combined output of 455 hp and maximum torque of 515 lb-ft from 2000 – 3000rpm. Power is transmitted via an 8-speed automatic transmission with the electric motor positioned between the engine and the torque converter. The electric motor receives its supply of energy from a lithium-ion battery developed specifically for this automobile.

The BMW ActiveHybrid 7 accelerates to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds, while delivering better fuel efficiency than the 750i and 750Li. Auto Start Stop maximizes efficiency by avoiding engine idling when stopped. The ActiveHybrid 7 is distinguished by aerodynamically-tuned ten-spoke 19-inch Aero wheels, and is available in Bluewater Metallic exterior paintwork. The BMW ActiveHybrid 7L has a wheelbase increased by 5.5", all of which is devoted to the enhanced comfort of rear-seat passengers. Both models are available with a wide range of options from the portfolio of equipment offered on the BMW 7 Series.

2011 BMW ALPINA B7 with xDrive

The BMW ALPINA B7 represents the second generation of ALPINA automobiles based on the BMW 7 Series to be offered in the US. The first BMW ALPINA B7 was offered as a limited edition for the 2007 and 2008 model years. Newly interpreted and based on the current BMW 7 Series platform, the B7 again sets the benchmark in terms of performance, refinement, technology, luxury and exclusivity. The BMW ALPINA B7 is offered with xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive, and in both standard- and long-wheelbase editions.

Yielding exquisite levels of power and torque from the twin-turbocharged 4.4 liter V8, and in conjunction with the electronically-adjustable suspension with active roll stabilization, the new B7 promises to offer a spectrum of driving experiences so broad as to be unheard of in this class of automobiles. The evolution of the traditional 20-spoke 21" ALPINA Classic wheels underlines the fresh design language found throughout the B7 and imparts to it a distinctive appearance and powerful stance.

All B7 sedans are equipped with BMW’s twin-turbocharged 4.4 liter, all-aluminum, High Precision Direct Injection V-8 engine, enhanced by ALPINA to produce 500 (373kW) horsepower and 516 lb-ft (700Nm) of torque. This rear-wheel drive performance/luxury sedan achieves 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds (4.6 seconds with xDrive). With maximum torque available across an unusually broad engine range, from 3,000 to 4,750 rpm, the B7 accelerates effortlessly from virtually any speed.

The B7 sedan is finished with ALPINA aerodynamic developments, including front and rear spoilers which not only enhance the appearance but also improve stability and performance at high speeds. In true “form-follows-function” fashion, the ALPINA front integrates the fresh-air requirements of the transmission and engine oil coolers, which are separated out of the main cooler module for improved efficiency. The spoilers reduce lift at the front by 30% and rear by15%. The exhaust system’s two double tailpipes are seamlessly integrated into the rear bumper. The newest evolution of the traditional 20-spoke ALPINA Classic wheels gives the B7 a distinctive appearance and powerful stance.

The interior of the B7 sedan features ALPINA blue illuminated door sill trims, the Switch-tronic steering wheel in hand-stitched Lavalina leather, and the Black-Panel LCD screen instrument cluster branded with ALPINA.

The full complement of BMW 7 Series exterior colors remains available, in addition to the signature ALPINA Blue metallic paint.

2010 BMW 6 Series Coupe, Convertible

The modern BMW 6 Series revived the essential attributes of its landmark 1976-89 predecessor: sporting, yet luxurious accommodations in the 2+2 format; sporty and gorgeous exterior design; strong, refined performance; an extra measure of sporty driving pleasure; and extensive standard equipment, encompassing outstanding luxury and convenience features.

Summer of 2010 marks the end of production of the current generation 6 Series and M6 Coupe and Convertible. Look for a new 6 Series to be released in due time.

2011 BMW X5 SAV®

For 2011, the BMW X5 models are enhanced with new powertrains and updated design. Innovative new design elements and powertrains are the result of over 4,000 new parts created by BMW designers and engineers for the 2011 BMW X5. Two of the X5’s powertrains are all-new for 2011, creating the new X5 xDrive50i ($59,275) and X5 xDrive35i ($46,675), in addition to the familiar BMW Advanced Diesel X5 xDrive35d ($52,175). All models receive a design update that enhances the brilliant focus and aesthetic appearance of the X5 brand. The gasoline models receive BMW’s new 8-speed automatic transmission for better acceleration and fuel efficiency.

The X5 xDrive50i features BMW’s 4.4-liter “reverse flow” V-8 engine with 400 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque, coupled to the new 8-speed automatic transmission. The X5 xDrive35i features BMW’s newest inline-6 engine (see Page 1), with 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft, also coupled to the 8-speed automatic. These two models are capable of 0-60mph acceleration in 5.3 seconds and 6.4 seconds, respectively, while achieving EPA highway fuel efficiency ratings of 20 and 23 miles per gallon, respectively.

The updated body design of the 2011 BMW X5 is characterized by well-balanced proportions that accentuate the vehicle’s powerful presence and agility. A long wheelbase, short front and rear body overhangs, and large light-alloy wheels provide a visual balance between the front and rear of the vehicle. Square-shaped, carefully flared wheel arches hint at the X5’s all-wheel drive traction and other-roads capability. The body lines sweep upwards from the front and rear wheels, communicating BMW’s near-perfect 50-50 front-rear weight distribution which is so essential to the X5’s legendary driving dynamics.

The sides of the X5 are elegantly stretched though the strong horizontal lines of each side. The surface of the hood flows seamlessly into the waistline, while the prominent, gently inclined contour line at the door handle level extends from the front wheel arches to the rear of the vehicle. These character lines symbolize power, stability, and presence.

With its distinctively contoured hood, large BMW kidney grille and dual round headlights, the new BMW X5 boasts an expressive front end that symbolizes power and presence.

The newest interpretation of the X5’s look is led by the redesign of the front fascia and position of the standard fog lamps. Due to an increase in the number of elements painted body color, the front end gives the impression of being lower. At the same time, the increased size of both the central and outer air intakes hint at the boosted engine output. The black trim at the bottom edge of the body is now considerably narrower. A matte-finished silver protection plate extends across the entire width of the central air intake, emphasizing the muscular features of the SAV, and accentuates the new X5’s character.

An M Sport Package is now available on most X5 models, with sporty components perfectly matched to each vehicle. Last year showcased the introduction of the BMW Advanced Diesel-powered X5 xDrive35d. It features a 3.0-liter sequential twin-turbo inline-6 diesel engine with 265 horsepower and 425 lb-ft of torque. The X5 xDrive 35d offers class-leading performance and fuel efficiency: 0 – 60 mph in 6.9 seconds and an equally impressive 19 mpg city/26 mpg highway EPA rating.

2011 BMW X6 Sports Activity Coupe

What if you could have the other-roads capability of BMW’s celebrated X5, combined into one vehicle with the presence and remarkable driving dynamics of a BMW Coupe? The BMW X6 Sports Activity Coupe is equally at home taking the family skiing, or taking a few laps around the famous Nϋrburgring.

The superb, even remarkable driving dynamics of the X6 are attributable to another BMW innovation: Dynamic Performance Control. DPC distributes torque as required in all situations, feeding a varying degree of power and torque to the two rear wheels. DPC is the only system of its kind able to provide its stabilizing effect both under acceleration and deceleration.

The X6 is available with a choice of twin-turbocharged engines. The 2011 X6 xDrive35i ($57.375) features BMW’s all-new 3.0-liter twin-scroll turbo inline-6 with 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque. The 2011 X6 xDrive50i ($68,075) features BMW’s 4.4-liter twin-turbo V-8 with 400 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque. Both models feature the new 8-speed Sport Automatic transmission.

2011 BMW ActiveHybrid X6

The BMW ActiveHybrid X6 ($89,775) made its world premiere at the Frankfurt Motor Show (IAA) in September 2009 and went on sale at US BMW Centers in December 2009. BMW ActiveHybrid technology provides outstanding driving performance with equally impressive efficiency. It melds both of these qualities to offer a truly unique driving experience.

The drive system featured in the BMW ActiveHybrid X6 consists of a 400 hp twin-turbocharged V-8 gasoline engine and two electric synchronous motors delivering 91 hp and 86 hp, respectively. Maximum system output is 480 hp, and peak torque reaches 575 lb-ft.

ActiveHybrid technology offers a boost to performance and simultaneously improves fuel efficiency by approximately 20 percent versus a comparable vehicle powered by a combustion engine alone. The result is an enjoyable driving experience and an increase of four miles per gallon to 17 mpg on the City drive cycle (EPA). Precisely controlled interaction of the gasoline engine and electric motors contributes to the efficiency of the BMW ActiveHybrid X6 at all speeds. 0-60 mph takes 5.4 seconds. Top speed is limited electronically to 130 mph.

These performance figures are made possible by utilizing a two-mode active transmission. The ideal combination of the two power modes can be controlled for enhanced efficiency and dynamic performance in any driving condition. BMW’s first full hybrid model is able to run exclusively on electric power – entirely free of CO2 – up to a speed of 37 mph for up to 1.6 miles.

2011 BMW X3 (All-new)

The all-new BMW X3 Sports Activity Vehicle will be introduced late in 2010 as a 2011 model, and will go on sale early in the first quarter of 2011. In the United States, the X3 xDrive28i and X3 xDrive35i will be available. Read the complete press release at bmwusanews.com.

2011 BMW Z4 Roadster

The classic roadster is back – more powerful and more stylish than ever before. It is the BMW Z4, the only car in its segment that combines classic roadster proportions with a seating position near the rear axle, rear-wheel drive, and a retractable hardtop.

Nothing matches the BMW Z4’s ability to offer all the driving pleasure of a BMW Roadster with particularly refined and stylish flair. Roof down, this two-seater offers a refreshing experience of sunshine wind. Drive it with the hardtop closed and it provides all the comfort of a sports coupe.

The design of the new Z4 comes out through classic details interpreted in new, up-to-date style. This outstanding two-seater offers a unique combination of elegance, agility, and comfort. The aluminum shells of the two-piece lightweight hardtop come to rest in the roof compartment, saving maximum space in the process. Even with the roof closed, the new Z4 retains the proportions typical of a genuine roadster.

The new BMW Z4 is offered in the US with two well-known and acclaimed inline-6 engines, both displacing 3.0 liters: 300 hp in the BMW Z4 sDrive35i and 255 hp in the BMW Z4 sDrive30i ensure truly outstanding acceleration and response at all times.

Comprehensive use of BMW’s EfficientDynamics technologies serves to provide an unparalleled balance of driving pleasure and fuel efficiency. While both models feature a manual 6-speed gearbox, the Z4 sDrive35i is available with the 7-speed Double Clutch Transmission (DCT). The 6-speed sport automatic is optional on the Z4 sDrive30i.

An all-new exclusive Citrus Yellow package will be available as of September 2010 production on all Z4 models. Unique to this package are a number of premium features. First, Sport seats with an exclusive black Alcantara/leather combination cradles passengers in comfort and luxury. The center of the seats and backrest panels are black Alcantara with yellow accents, matching the unique color scheme of the car. The armrests and center console are draped in black Nappa leather with door inserts in yellow Alcantara featuring a double lapped seam. The center of the passenger-side dashboard is also fit with black Alcantara, while the lower dashboard is colored in Citrus Yellow. Unique for this package is the Individual Piano Black wood trim, anthracite colored headliner and exclusive Atacama Yellow exterior.

2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is

The new BMW Z4 sDrive35is ($61,925) is one of BMW’s fastest and best-handling Roadsters ever.

The turbocharger system developed for the engine of the new BMW Z4 sDrive35is maintains a high output throughout the entire engine speed range. Nominal peak torque is increased to 332 lb-ft from 1,400 rpm to 4,500 rpm. Maximum output of 335 hp is delivered at 5,800 rpm. The BMW Z4 sDrive35is will complete the sprint from a standstill to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds (preliminary).

Acoustic tuning of the exhaust system of the BMW Z4 sDrive35is gives the car a very unique sound across the speed range. The sound is characterized by a deep rumble with a focus on the low frequency sound range.

The BMW Z4 sDrive35is includes new M Sport upgrades such as M Aerodynamics and adaptive M Suspension. The adaptive M Suspension combines a ride-height reduction of 10 millimeters (almost 0.4”) with electronically controlled shock absorbers to improve the vehicle’s agility without compromising ride comfort. The M Sport upgrades emphasize the Z4’s athletic character through aerodynamically optimized exterior features and customized interior components.

Special 18-inch light-alloy wheels round off the sporty character of the Z4 sDrive35is. 19-inch light-alloy wheels are optional. In addition, the new model is further distinguished by a striking front bumper with a matte aluminum trim bar in each outer air intake, a rear bumper with accentuated surrounds on the tailpipes, and a rear diffuser finished at top in body color and black textured surface underneath. Inside, a full complement of M Sport details augments the new Aluminum Carbon interior trim and available new Kansas Walnut leather.

When Atacama Yellow is ordered on a Z4 sDrive35is (see Citrus Yellow package, Page 11), the mirror caps will be yellow rather than the oxide silver as is standard on other 35is models. The all-new Exclusive Citrus Yellow package will be available in combination with the M Sport Package.

2011 BMW M3 Sedan, Coupe, Convertible

BMW raised the performance benchmark once again with the introduction of the 4th generation M3. The latest M3 is again available, as was the 2nd generation, as a Sedan ($56,275), Coupe ($59,275) or Convertible ($67,925). All share the unique, high-revving, 414-horsepower V-8 engine and choice of 6-speed manual or 7-speed M Dual Clutch Transmission with Drivelogic.

For the M3’s 2011 model year, which started in March 2010, buyers of the M3 Sedan and M3 Coupe can choose a new Competition Package which reduces vehicle ride height by 10mm and includes unique 19” wheels with wider offset for enhanced stability, standard Electronic Damping Control with enhanced programming, and higher-threshold programming for the M Dynamic Mode (if equipped).

Starting with September 2010 production, the 2011 M3 will receive a number of further enhancements. Mineral White Metallic exterior paint becomes available, as do new Palladium Silver / Black / Black and Fox Red / Black interior upholsteries. The celebrated M Drive system becomes standard. Identified by its now-famous M Button on the steering wheel, M Drive allows the M3 driver to pre-program two “personalities” for the vehicle and toggle between them with a press of the M Button. The button will:
  • * Activate the “second level” of Dynamic Stability Control known as M Dynamic Mode (MDM).
  • * Activate the Sport setting of the Servotronic variable power steering system.
  • * Arm the shift lights (when equipped with M-DCT).
  • * Select the pre-stored setting for Electronic Damping Control (EDC), if equipped.
  • * Select the pre-stored setting for Drivelogic (when equipped with M-DCT).

Finally, BMW’s Auto Stop-Start feature becomes standard on the M3 with September production. Auto Start-Stop is a BMW EfficientDynamics fuel saving measure previously unavailable in the US except on ActiveHybrid models. Auto Stop-Start will automatically stop the engine when the transmission is placed in Neutral and the clutch is released. The engine will immediately restart as soon as the clutch is depressed. The system is driver selectable and will only function once the engine is up to operating temperature and the ambient temperature is between 37 Degrees F and 85 Degrees F.

The new Manual M Sport Seats (M3 Sedan, Coupe) offer the same adjustments as the previous electric seats but with manual adjustment in order to save weight (approximately 5kg per seat) and expense when power memory seats are not required. Lumber support and seatback side bolters remain electrically adjustable. Power Seats remain standard in the M3 Convertible.

2011 BMW X5 M AND X6 M

The X5 M and X6 M are unchanged for the 2011 model year.

Finding new ways to expand the boundaries of what is possible with existing BMW models has always been the singular purpose of the craftsmen at BMW M. The BMW X5 M and the BMW X6 M are the first all-wheel-drive models to offer the remarkable performance, dynamic driving experience, athletic design, and premium quality of a BMW M product.

Both models are powered by a new-concept BMW M engine that departs purposefully from the established ultra-high-revving V-8 and V-10 M engines powering the M3, M5 and M6 models. For power, torque, and response characteristics, BMW M has adapted twin turbocharging, High Precision direct fuel injection and accompanying new technologies that achieve the ever-consistent BMW M goal of the highest levels of performance and refinement.

Thanks to a special, M-tuned version of BMW’s Integrated Chassis Management, on-board systems including xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive and Dynamic Performance Control torque-vectoring system are maximized for handling while braking and accelerating under the most extreme circumstances. As a result, the X5 M and X6 M are able to maximize traction while precisely following the steering inputs of the driver.

The X5 M and X6 M are equipped with the M Drive system, which allows a driver to pre-configure the vehicle for maximum performance and feedback at a touch of the steering wheel-mounted M Button.

BMW EfficientDynamics

The Intelligent Way to Reduce Fuel Consumption and Emissions.

BMW’s commitment to reduce harmful emissions and help protect the environment is unique in the automobile industry. BMW applies its EfficientDynamics principles to each model by using lightweight components in key areas, new technologies for improved powertrain efficiency and more importantly, planned sustainability for the long term reduction of fuel consumption and emissions output.

A recent Environmental Defense report shows that BMW’s fleet average for CO2 emissions was reduced by 12% from 1990 - 2005 and its fuel economy improved by 14%, despite the introduction of many new passenger cars and light-duty trucks. This not only demonstrates our long-standing dedication to help the environment, but our ability to do so with every vehicle that wears the BMW roundel.

In this period of time, BMW has introduced many industry-leading technologies across its entire model range, such as Valvetronic throttle-less engine control, on-demand coolant and hydraulic pumps for reduced parasitic losses, and High-Precision Direct Injection. In 2009, BMW added two 50-state BMW Advanced Diesel models for an unprecedented combination of performance and low emissions. In some 2010 and 2011 models, BMW introduced Brake Energy Regeneration, Auto Start-Stop technology and two BMW ActiveHybrid models. It is our unending goal to develop technologies and vehicles designed to combine the efficiency our customers desire with dynamics and performance our customers expect.

BMW ConnectedDrive Innovations: Advanced on-board use of mobile phones and music players.

Beginning with September production there will be enhancements to BMW Assist with Bluetooth and the iPod/USB Adapter. These enhancements extend the functionality through improved integration of mobile devices into the vehicle. These new features are made possible by hardware advances. (All Models)

BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth

The Bluetooth functionality is extended beyond hands-free and phonebook support with multiple innovations. Feature support is dependent upon compatibility with the mobile device.

RIM Smart Phone Integration
  • * Mobile Office: The industry-first mobile office integration of BlackBerry Smartphones, a customer can access email, text messages, and notes through the iDrive system providing seamless integration with the vehicle. Safety and avoiding driver distraction is paramount at BMW. In order to maintain the driver’s focus on the road, the vehicle’s voice control system (included with navigation) will read messages aloud via text-to-speech. The central screen will also display the only the first three lines of text. The full text can only be displayed when the vehicle is parked. Compatible BlackBerry hardware, firmware, and feature set will be announced later.
  • * vCard photo support: Images of contacts stored in your phonebook are downloaded from the device and shown on the vehicle display. When the mobile phone rings, a picture of the caller will appear on the vehicle display.
  • * External Call Lists: External call list handling downloads the “re-dial” and “received calls list” at every reconnect of the mobile device and after each call.
  • * Bluetooth Music Streaming: Bluetooth music streaming offers wireless audio streaming from the mobile device to the vehicle. Music stored on the mobile phone is played and controlled through the iDrive controller.

iPod/USB Adapter

· iPod One-wire integration: The iPod connection no longer requires the “Y-cable” for separate aux-input for sound. The iPod USB cable supplied with the iPod is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the sound system via the USB connection.· Album Cover Art: If cover art is contained in the metadata of a particular song, it will show on the vehicle display while the song is played.· Voice Control of Devices: The driver can control external devices and select genre, artist, album, and song title with the voice control system included with Navigation System.· Mobile Phone Device Driver Update: In combination with BMW Assist, the USB port can be used to upload new mobile phone and audio player device drivers. (Release timing for this feature and device driver availability are subject to change.)
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

that new z4is is the only excerpt i bothered with. with that pricetag and those specs, i don't understand why they don't put a new z4m into development :\
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Very informative overview. Thanks, Jason.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

I wonder wonder about the status of the new M3 exhaust that's supposed to come out in Sept. It was in this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415774

No mention here?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
I wonder wonder about the status of the new M3 exhaust that's supposed to come out in Sept. It was in this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415774

No mention here?
That's part of the M Performance accessory line, not the car itself.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
That's part of the M Performance accessory line, not the car itself.
True.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
that new z4is is the only excerpt i bothered with. with that pricetag and those specs, i don't understand why they don't put a new z4m into development :\
I know but I always thought the 1M would take the place of the old Z4M - they're both exclusively 6MT after all.
      09-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Waste of my time

This is old news.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

Thanks a lot for the info!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

great info, thanks!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
bc... M// is too busy with the new 1M & M5 & M6(?) coming out soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
///M drive becomes standard on the 2011 M3 models--wasn't that a 3k upgrade before (or something to that effect)?
      09-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
///M drive becomes standard on the 2011 M3 models--wasn't that a 3k upgrade before (or something to that effect)?
No, it was part of the navigation package. Now I guess you get the M button without the need for the i-Drive.

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox | '17 BMW i3 BEV Protonic - Dalbergia
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
BMWDavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: MSport F30

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2005(sold but not f ...  [10.00]
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post
No, it was part of the navigation package. Now I guess you get the M button without the need for the i-Drive.
M Drive (2MD) was included in the Technology Package (ZTP) along with EDC (223), Navigation (609), and Comfort Access (322) for $3,250.
      09-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
manhattan127
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i coupe with sports pa

Thanks for the post, it was very informative.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
MorbidFreak
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jeep

Wow very informative! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
TKTR
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 2006

nice info dude thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #18
zedival
Rep
Drives: Mercedes clk 200

Can anyone tell me how I can track the production of cars ordered in August!??
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedival View Post
Can anyone tell me how I can track the production of cars ordered in August!??
Check here - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #20
zedival
Rep
Drives: Mercedes clk 200

Thank you Jason !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #21
Wrx328
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

:)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #22
TMarch8070
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport Package

Backrest width

I recently purchased a 2011 535xi with the M Sport Package. As I was going through the options I noticed it did not come equipped with the power backrest width option that my 2008 had. There should be two power buttons to provide much tighter thigh support. Though the manual shows it, and all other documentation says it should be equipped, it's not. I contacted my sales rep and he is somewhat puzzled. He is looking into it, but I wanted to check if anyone can shed some light on this...
Appreciate 0