E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Ambient door light

11-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #45
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Haha i just ordered the strips i linked too
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Car-St...ht_1019wt_1031

ill give them a go and report back... if they look remotely 'rice', they will definitely not go on
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #46
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
Haha i just ordered the strips i linked too
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Car-St...ht_1019wt_1031

ill give them a go and report back... if they look remotely 'rice', they will definitely not go on
I think those won't be quite the right color...we have a very specific color LED in our car (HPB sourced them for the interior kits), so unless they happen to use the same thing, it won't quite match. It will probably lean a little more towards the yellow, while the ambient lighting leans more towards the red.
      11-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #47
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

That is very true... It is a hard colour to match.

Do you think it would be a better idea to just run red rather than anything else?

I doubt HPB would release Ambience lighting kits haha
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #48
catch
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnew81509 View Post
Ever thought about finding a door panel from a coupe that does have it? Probably be easier to retrofit an entire door panel than just that light strip.
that was my thought
      11-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #49
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catch View Post
that was my thought
It's a good thought, but one must consider that the entire door structure of the E92/93 is longer than the E90/91 door structure (if I recall correctly, at least 10 centimeters longer), so it wouldn't fit right/require extreme modification. Definitely not worth trying to cut or restitch an E92 door panel to look right.
      11-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #50
ZZZZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
That is very true... It is a hard colour to match.

Do you think it would be a better idea to just run red rather than anything else?

I doubt HPB would release Ambience lighting kits haha
I definitely think it would be better to run red. I did similar retrofits on my e36 way back when. (under the arm rest cubby, door pocket cubbies, foot-well lighting, and sunglass holder cubby under the OBC.

Because of the specific orange these interiors have, I ended up switching them ALL to red along with a stock BMW m-tech shift knob which also lights up in red to tie it all in together. The red/orange contrast matched much much better and actually looked more stock than aftermarket like the orange did... not rice at all.

Definitely my recommendation based on previous experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #51
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [3.50]
i love mines but wish they were brighter
      11-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #52
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep

Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh06lau View Post
i love mines but wish they were brighter
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #53
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
I definitely think it would be better to run red. I did similar retrofits on my e36 way back when. (under the arm rest cubby, door pocket cubbies, foot-well lighting, and sunglass holder cubby under the OBC.

Because of the specific orange these interiors have, I ended up switching them ALL to red along with a stock BMW m-tech shift knob which also lights up in red to tie it all in together. The red/orange contrast matched much much better and actually looked more stock than aftermarket like the orange did... not rice at all.

Definitely my recommendation based on previous experience.
Any pics of your old interior?

I was looking at the interior and there are a few spots you can put leds into to make your own ambient light system.

check the armrest LED DIY

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...rest+diy+light

You could put them in the door handles, the grips in the doors, by your feet up front and similiar places in the back. It would require some electrical work and permanently drilling some plastic parts.

Who's gonna go first?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #54
ZZZZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Any pics of your old interior?

I was looking at the interior and there are a few spots you can put leds into to make your own ambient light system.

check the armrest LED DIY

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...rest+diy+light

You could put them in the door handles, the grips in the doors, by your feet up front and similiar places in the back. It would require some electrical work and permanently drilling some plastic parts.

Who's gonna go first?
I will see if I can snap a pic later in the week. I went with cathodes for the footwell lighting as at the time LED strips were ridiculously expensive unless you built your own. This tied into the cigarette lighter circuit where the transfomer for the cathodes are hidden behind the dashboard.

I went with a LED + trim piece under the arm rest, similar to that other DIY though I used a bulb with a larger plastic housing (LED inside) and put a tiny bit of black paint on the top so the person looking in can't physically see the bulb but it lights up inside the cubby nicely and evenly. This tapped into the hazard light switch (of course only the circuit which has power on accessory, not constant).

The LED for the sunglass holder pocket was also tied into the cig lighter circuit.

The cigarette lighter itself was replaced with a drop in Start Engine button which also lit up with a red LED.

My mirrors were upgraded to M5 power/heated/electric folding, I put a new circuit/fuse for this and tapped the door pocket LED lights into the same circuit since I added that power to the door already.

The M-Tech shift knob that lights up in red is an OEM BMW part, it comes with a harness to tap into the hazard switch.

All the cathodes + LED lights were dimmable with the dashboard lighting.

With that said, driving the e90 now seems like a step backwards... but I don't plan on doing any of this type of customization with this car anymore. I plan to just leave it as is unless there's a stock or plug-n-play option available for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #55
potato
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 330i

hi Guys, do you think it is possible to use modify the E92 parts for the installation on E90 sedan ? I am really interested in it.....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #56
andreas023
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW E93 M SPORT

How To Melt Plastic Tips Of The Door Light Guide

Sorry to bring up such an old post, but I wanted to ask you how did you melt the plastic tips?

Thanks,

Andreas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenadbogar View Post
its been a while but just an update on this. ive managed to install the ambient lights on all 4 panels. its been a pain in the ass but has been done. ordered the parts which contain
4 plastic pieces which you can see on the door panels and which are holders for the light strips which goes inside. the material is the same as on angel eyes. at the end there is a bulb with a housing on which you connect the strip. as it is cut on a perfect angle the light glows through the whole strip.

what you need to do to install this is drill the holes inside the door panel (the positions of the holes were already marked) then cut out the leather so the panels can go in through the door panel. melt the plastic tips from inside the door panel and thats it. after that whats left to do is the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #57
andreas023
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW E93 M SPORT

Light Guide Install

Hello friend! Do you happen to know whether I can insert the light guide after I have fitted the strip(light holder)? Basicall I had to change the holder and i broke the light strip like you did, but until the new one comes I don't want to sit with my arms crossed, so I was wondering if I install the light holder and melt the plastic tips will I be able to insert the light guide?

Thanks!

Andreas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
Well E92 is a coupe.

I just had to fix mine few weeks ago (broke fiber light guide), I don't think there's way to retrofit one. That little panel is mounted with plastic studs which are melted.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #58
onebadmofo
Banned
Russian Federation
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas023 View Post
Hello friend! Do you happen to know whether I can insert the light guide after I have fitted the strip(light holder)? Basicall I had to change the holder and i broke the light strip like you did, but until the new one comes I don't want to sit with my arms crossed, so I was wondering if I install the light holder and melt the plastic tips will I be able to insert the light guide?

Thanks!

Andreas.
I never removed my guide, I ordered just the plastic transparent piece.
I don't remember how I installed it, but don't recall that it was hard or anything like that. I think it just slides in.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #59
uussff
Rep

Drives: E93 325i

For the record, its also applicable for e93's as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #60
nenadbogar
First Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep

Drives: e92 330d

guys, its a pain in the ass work but its doable. on each door in the panel there are wholes which you need to drill in order for the plastic part to get in. then you can either melt the tips or you can just use a nut. i used nuts in the back to take care of this.

for the actual light strip, thats a pain in the ass because it gets broken easily .but you can also easily change it. pry out the strip from the front end and pull it out. then just put another one and youre set.

you cannot directly heat up the tips since you gonna heat up everything else around it. solution here was to use a heat gun to heat up a piece of metal, something like this http://www.clock-keys.com/CART/images/14605.JPG and then to apply pressure on the tip with this piece.
      05-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #61
uussff
Rep

Drives: E93 325i

How did u wire them? İ mean do they work with the 2 orange leds that lightens the gear or u just wired them to the interior lighting which comes on when u press the button?
Also do we need dismantle the panels that is right near the rocker panel to get the wires to the back of the car?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #62
nenadbogar
First Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep

Drives: e92 330d

the wiring is connected with the button for lowering the windows... you gonna have to dismantle alot more in order to get the job done on the back panels ill check how that was done i forgot actually... but if you need detailed info let me know...
      05-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #63
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

This guy did the retrofit:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685740
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #64
Bargamon
Captain
Rep

Drives: 07' e92 328i 6MT sport

I thought they were so cool when I got the car.

And I never notice them when I drive.

If they were brighter they would not be "ambient". They would be a distraction.

Its a thing you "want", but I never notice them except when I look at them and think "Cool".

I would never spend the time and money to retrofit such a thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #65
DimitrisM3
e90 my big fat lady!
Greece
Rep

Drives: e90

Can we fit to e90 ??
      04-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #66
nenadbogar
First Lieutenant
Serbia