Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Is it safe to leave nail on tire?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
evoq
Enlisted Member

Drives: beautiful

Is it safe to leave nail on tire?

Is it safe to leave a nail on a tire that has no loss of air pressure?

The nail is placed in a site of the tire that don`t affect with the normal use of it.

What could happen if I leave that nail on the tire?

Can some day the tire explode if I go too fast? Or the only problem I would have some day is to find that the tire has no air pressure at all.

With a car with run flat tires I am not afraid to have no air pressure some day because I can go to any dealer to change it without problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
Broken1
E90 Addict
South Africa

Drives: E90 325i Sparking Graphite

Garage List
Unless the nail is there for "bling" purposes, take it out. It is very dangerous to drive with a nail in your tyre, unnessasarily dangerous if you know it's there. Run flats do reduce the danger, but why risk it?

Get the nail removed at a tyre shop. If it's caused a whole, they can fix it with a invisible repair.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
CC 330i
Captain

Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

It can be very dangerous to leave the nail in. Get the tire repaired.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
Kimo
First Lieutenant

Drives: e90 e85 e46 e31

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq
Is it safe to leave a nail on a tire that has no loss of air pressure?

The nail is placed in a site of the tire that don`t affect with the normal use of it.

What could happen if I leave that nail on the tire?

Can some day the tire explode if I go too fast? Or the only problem I would have some day is to find that the tire has no air pressure at all.

With a car with run flat tires I am not afraid to have no air pressure some day because I can go to any dealer to change it without problems.

Just leave it. I've been walking around with a damn nail in my head for almost thirty years, and it hasn't . . .

. . . wait a minute . . .

. . . where the hell am I?
Ours #1:....2008 (e85) Z4 3.0si, Jet Black
Ours #2:....1992 (e31) 850i, Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
evoq
Enlisted Member

Drives: beautiful

Pics of Tires

Here are the pictures.

On the first tire I remove this stick completly and then I reinsert the stick to avoid air loss, I have some months with this tire without problems and without air loss.

This other tire have a screw, what do you think, do you recommend me to remove the screw and the stick, or only the screw, or leave them on the tire.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica

Drives: F80 YMB

No doubt: take it in and get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #7
CC 330i
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
No doubt: take it in and get it fixed.
Yes, it won't cost more than about $35 to get it fixed. (unless they are not a reputable shop).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
longtran

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
ummmmm. you can go to a pep boys, autozone or any auto store in your arean, they sell repair kits for your tires. you dont even have to remove the rim. no more than 10 bucks.

o, i have a nail on my 99 prelude for about 6 months now. if you let it sit you will lose air, if you drive it daily no air lost. i let my car sat for 1 week and a little air got away. i just wen t to the gas station and pump more in. i sitll havent repaired it. so as far as safe?? i dont think it would harm anything. another think you can buy is the can sealer. the sealer would seal and air escaping and seal itself from the inside. so the sealer would wrap around the nail.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
CC 330i
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
ummmmm. you can go to a pep boys, autozone or any auto store in your arean, they sell repair kits for your tires. you dont even have to remove the rim. no more than 10 bucks.

o, i have a nail on my 99 prelude for about 6 months now. if you let it sit you will lose air, if you drive it daily no air lost. i let my car sat for 1 week and a little air got away. i just wen t to the gas station and pump more in. i sitll havent repaired it. so as far as safe?? i dont think it would harm anything. another think you can buy is the can sealer. the sealer would seal and air escaping and seal itself from the inside. so the sealer would wrap around the nail.
I have to disagree with this. Do not do a cheap tire plug where they don't remove the rim. This kind of repair is more susceptible to failure, and is not approved by any tire manufacturer. Any Bridgestone tire shop can repair your tire properly (they will have to remove the tire to do this properly) and you won't have to worry.

Leaving the nail in is unsafe because it could come part way out, then get jammed back in at a different angle, or come completely out and cause the tire to go flat. If it goes flat, and you drive on it with no pressure in the tire, you may no longer be able to get it repaired. The tires cost as much as $340. Don't take a chance trying to save a $35 dollar repair charge. You will be out of there in 30 minutes. Just go get it repaired. (today).

A tire sealant, (like Slime for example) works great for the short term, (like to get you to a tire shop) but it can corrode the inside of your tire and rim if you leave it in too long.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 05:23 PM   #10
longtran

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
I have to disagree with this. Do not do a cheap tire plug where they don't remove the rim. This kind of repair is more susceptible to failure, and is not approved by any tire manufacturer. Any Bridgestone tire shop can repair your tire properly (they will have to remove the tire to do this properly) and you won't have to worry.

Leaving the nail in is unsafe because it could come part way out, then get jammed back in at a different angle, or come completely out and cause the tire to go flat. If it goes flat, and you drive on it with no pressure in the tire, you may no longer be able to get it repaired. The tires cost as much as $340. Don't take a chance trying to save a $35 dollar repair charge. You will be out of there in 30 minutes. Just go get it repaired. (today).
umm....i am not suggesting to leave it on,this is from my experience. so dont get me wrong. yeah, go repair it. i normally use the plugs. i just did my girlfriend tire last night. took me 10 minutes.
it works fine.

you said its not aprrove by any tire manufacture???? i think if this wasnt safe, i dont think any auto parts would carry it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #11
jennyt71
Red Raider '99 & '02

Drives: Monaco Blue 06 325i

This is a little off topic -- but I was told by the dealer when I picked my car up that these run flats cannot be fixed. If there's a nail then the tire would have to be replaced! Was this just a bunch of b.s. to get me to buy the tire warranty? (I didnt buy it, but was under the assumption that if I did get a nail in the tire, I would be looking at buying a new tire.)
Has anyone out there already fixed a flat in these tires??
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 05:32 PM   #12
CC 330i
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyt71
This is a little off topic -- but I was told by the dealer when I picked my car up that these run flats cannot be fixed. If there's a nail then the tire would have to be replaced! Was this just a bunch of b.s. to get me to buy the tire warranty? (I didnt buy it, but was under the assumption that if I did get a nail in the tire, I would be looking at buying a new tire.)
Has anyone out there already fixed a flat in these tires??
Yes, I have. Good as new. I paid about $25 dollars to have it done right. I did a lot of searching and I found literature from Bridgestone that states that they can be repaired as long as they were not driven on flat for a long distance (more than a few miles). There are many threads on this topic on this forum.

The sidewalls are stiffer on the runflats, and that is the only real difference. They are not different in any other measureable way from a conventional tire.

The difference is that you can't drive AT ALL on a flat conventional tire. On a run flat, you can wear out the sidewall driving on it flat if you don't get it repaired right away. If you drive 100 miles on a runflat without any air in it, you would not want to repair it. If you drive a few miles on low pressure, it's probably fine.

For a nail in the tire, it's perfectly acceptable to repair the tire, as long as the puncture is not on the sidewall or too near the edge of the tire. Your Bridgestone tire shop can inspect the tire (when they have it off the rim) and make sure it is acceptible to repair it.

The dealership probably has 3 reasons to tell you they can't be repaired:

1. They want you to buy the tire insurance.
2. They want to sell you a new tire at retail if you didn't buy the insurance.
3. They don't want us owners trying to decide if it is safe or not to repair the tire. There are too many owners that would drive around for days on a flat tire and then say that BMW told them it was safe to repair the tire, which is not true. As long as the tire has not lost pressure completely, or driven for long distances flat, it's Ok to repair it. But try explaining that to 30,000 BMW owners.... The safest thing to do is replace the tire. (but unless it is a poor repair job, the repaired tire should be very safe).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 05:34 PM   #13
jennyt71
Red Raider '99 & '02

Drives: Monaco Blue 06 325i

Thanks!

...ok, back to our regularly scheduled program...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #14
ben1364
Captain

Drives: E90 330iA

longtran wrote in part, "you said its not aprrove by any tire manufacture???? i think if this wasnt safe, i dont think any auto parts would carry it"
Outside in tire plugs are suitable for emergency use only. The reason is that they don't always seal every layer of the tire. If the inner liner is not completely sealed, air can escape into the tire carcas (sp?) causing a ply separation and ruining the tire. It doesn't always happen but if it does, the tire manufacturer (understandable) will not warrant the tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2005, 06:58 PM   #15
longtran

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
longtran wrote in part, "you said its not aprrove by any tire manufacture???? i think if this wasnt safe, i dont think any auto parts would carry it"
Outside in tire plugs are suitable for emergency use only. The reason is that they don't always seal every layer of the tire. If the inner liner is not completely sealed, air can escape into the tire carcas (sp?) causing a ply separation and ruining the tire. It doesn't always happen but if it does, the tire manufacturer (understandable) will not warrant the tire.
you can simply quote me instead of retyping it. but anyways, all tire manufacture will void all warranty with a nail puncture. repair the right or wrong way.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2005, 06:50 AM   #16
Martinmaxx
Private First Class
Argentina

Drives: E39/E46/E87/E92

Just check tirerack´s recommendations for tire punctures : http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
deez330
Private

Drives: 2009 135

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
DAMNIT

so during thanksgiving i got a nail in my rear left RF tire,
drove a little while, but the wheel sorta just melted down
so me and a few friends had to wait hours in the middle of nowhere, to get towed to a bmw, which was not open. to find out the next day that they did not carry my tire and that i would have to wait until the following week for them to order the tire. cost me ~$420

-a month and a half later-

got ANOTHER nail in the SAME place, (rear left, new tire), but this time the tire stayed intact, even after driving for 100+ miles. brought it into bmw and they said they will not fix run flats. brought it to pep boys and they said the nail was too close to the side, and could not be fixed. took it to bridgestone, and they said that they would not fix run flats either. so, i guess this one is costing me another $400+ too.

bmw needs to do something about these run flat tires.
at least a spare or something...
im thinking about switching them all to regular all season tires.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #18
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Arctic 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez330
so during thanksgiving i got a nail in my rear left RF tire,
drove a little while, but the wheel sorta just melted down
so me and a few friends had to wait hours in the middle of nowhere, to get towed to a bmw, which was not open. to find out the next day that they did not carry my tire and that i would have to wait until the following week for them to order the tire. cost me ~$420

-a month and a half later-

got ANOTHER nail in the SAME place, (rear left, new tire), but this time the tire stayed intact, even after driving for 100+ miles. brought it into bmw and they said they will not fix run flats. brought it to pep boys and they said the nail was too close to the side, and could not be fixed. took it to bridgestone, and they said that they would not fix run flats either. so, i guess this one is costing me another $400+ too.

bmw needs to do something about these run flat tires.
at least a spare or something...
im thinking about switching them all to regular all season tires.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
You ran the tire for 100 miles! Of course they won't repair it, and shouldn't. (Read above posts!)

RFTs don't pick up nails any faster than conventional tires. (duh) but maybe if you're picking up nails every month you should buy used tires and keep a few in your garage. (haha).

You sure no one is intentionally throwing nails under your car?
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #19
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
you said its not aprrove by any tire manufacture???? i think if this wasnt safe, i dont think any auto parts would carry it.
Wow. What can I say...
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 09:11 PM   #20
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant

True story (10 yrs ago):

I'm leaving work, and driving down the highway and I see a black mark in the road. It looks like a skid mark, but very narrow. Odd I thought. I take the exit, and the mark is still on the road in front of me, right down the same exit I'm taking. I'm thinking that some idiot is really wearing down a tire somewhere. I make a turn, and another, and the black line is still in front of me! I'm just about to pull into my driveway, and see the line make a right turn into my driveway, and right to the garage door on my wife's side of the garage. Ugh.

There wasn't damage to the rim, but the tire was a mess. "I thought something felt funny!" she said.

I love my wife, but "One of these days, Alice..."
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #21
BMW0
Colonel
United_States

Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Fix it or risk it.

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"