E90Post

Evolution of Speed

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Philips X-treme Ultinon LED H7

11-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
tetsuo111
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZSP 6MT RWD Touring

Garage List
Philips X-treme Ultinon LED H7

Hi, soliciting feedback from users with first hand experience.

These are quite spendy compared with a standard H7 halogen, but spec 200% brighter with white light, and are engineered specifically to function properly in a halogen reflector without spurious glare.

Only remotely considering because these are the first LED I'm aware of sourced from an OEM-quality vendor.

Thanks

BMW CCA #505794 | 2011 ZSP RWD 6MT Touring - Driver-Centric / Agile / High-Revving / Light-weight / Discrete Design / German-Engineered
330i DME | 7500 rpm| 3280 lbs | ^Chassis Stiffness | ^Cockpit | ARC-8 | M3 Arms+SDW Sealed Monoballs | PI+aux 3"CAI | 3IM | MILVs | SuperSprint Headers+Dundon 3" 321/Inconel Exhaust | Recaro | Prototipo | AutoSolutions SSK | M-Performance Aero
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Someone said it won't fit the e90 without dumping the dust cover.

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...ultinon-h7-led
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
tetsuo111
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
Someone said it won't fit the e90 without dumping the dust cover.

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...ultinon-h7-led
Thanks for that.

I found that feedback while doing diligence. It's the sole mention I've seen about fitment, or lack thereof, on BMW headlamps.

Powerbulbs had a site-wide 25% promo, so I rolled the dice and bought two packages. I guess I'll be the guinea pig on these...

Will share my experience after I have something to report
BMW CCA #505794 | 2011 ZSP RWD 6MT Touring - Driver-Centric / Agile / High-Revving / Light-weight / Discrete Design / German-Engineered
330i DME | 7500 rpm| 3280 lbs | ^Chassis Stiffness | ^Cockpit | ARC-8 | M3 Arms+SDW Sealed Monoballs | PI+aux 3"CAI | 3IM | MILVs | SuperSprint Headers+Dundon 3" 321/Inconel Exhaust | Recaro | Prototipo | AutoSolutions SSK | M-Performance Aero
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320D M Sport TiAg

As with most if not all LED bulbs you'll need to modify the heatsink or the rear cover.

Did you order the ones specifically designed for use in reflectors? Philips make two versions.
Appreciate 1
FCobra941843.00

12-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
tetsuo111
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
As with most if not all LED bulbs you'll need to modify the heatsink or the rear cover.
Yep, I'm learning...

I took a closer look at the headlight dustcover and understand clearly now that there is almost zero clearance behind the H7 bulb.

At the same time, it may be a minor operation to modify the rear cover for added clearance.

Quote:
Did you order the ones specifically designed for use in reflectors? Philips make two versions.
Good catch.

I only see the one type listed on the P*werBulbs UK website. The description makes a point of beam pattern control by using Philips "SafeBeam" technology:

"Why buy Philips X-treme Ultinon LED Headlamp H7 (Twin)?

The new X-treme Ultinon LED headlights range is the culmination of years of technological innovation, utilising a variety of Philips’ patented design features in order to achieve a headlight that surpasses expectations in every field. With the help of LUXEON LED technology, the bulbs achieve a bright white light with a colour temperature of 6500K, producing a 200% brighter light than that of a standard halogen.

What’s more, the stylish white light effect of the X-treme Ultinon LED headlights’ beam is designed with precision in mind, making use of SafeBeam technology to ensure that the bulbs’ extra light stays where it belongs: on the road. As well as being more distinctive than a standard halogen light, the white LED light produced is closer to the colour of natural daylight, helping you to stay alert and energised on the road at night. The refined positioning of the strong, uniform LED light enables you to see far-away obstacles on the road, without the risk of dazzling other drivers.

The expert craft of the X-treme Ultinon LED headlights range also means that you can enjoy the benefits of a brighter, whiter light for longer. Philips have implemented advanced AirFlux and AirCool technologies to increase the bulbs’ heat resistance, diverting heat from any critical components, thus extending their lifetime. These intelligent heat management systems, combined with the higher light intensity level of the LED, make for an impressively durable bulb with a remarkably long life of up to 12 years.

With the X-treme Ultinon LED headlights' easy installation process you can enjoy extra sight, style, safety and bulb-life in no time at all. Get ready to outshine and out-style the competition.

PLEASE NOTE: These bulbs do not have ECE approval, and as such their usage is currently not approved for use on public roads: their usage is limited to ‘off-road’ applications.

Features and benefits

6500K colour temperature
200% brighter than standard halogen
Heat-resistant AirFlux and AirCool design for long life
Increased durability means up to 12 years lifetime
Intense but precise, safe light placement on road
Stylish white, daylight-like effect
Easy installation
Not road legal
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

The product number they list on their website leads to this info sheet - http://download.p4c.philips.com/file...5bwx2_pss_.pdf

Quote:
The Philips X-tremeUltinon LED lights are designed specifically for complex projector headlights. At the same time they provide extra boost when used in reflector luminaires and hence serve you in a wide variety of car models, regardless of your luminaire.
So should be fine, Philips do have info on another bulb with the SKU 11972ULX2 which says for reflector only and not projector, but there's very little info about it, possible it was superseded by this and never released. Interestingly in the user manual for that it does say both, and is also in Chinese or similar, so probably just ignore that completely.
      12-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
tetsuo111
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Digitalize OT - I'm a fan of your photo work. Keep it up!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #8
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

As others said, clearance is going to be the only issue. It will fit without the cover though.

I'm currently using HPB's 6000 Lumen LED in my fog lights, they are bright AF and because the light is produced in a similar fashion to a halogen bulb it has no glare and distinct clear lines and cut offs.

|Price Match Guarantee + 5% Bonus Back* | |CTS| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Fabspeed| |Injen| Create an Account for up to 10% OFF!
Appreciate 2
FCobra941843.00
tetsuo111557.50

12-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
FCobra94
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I'm currently using HPB's 6000 Lumen LED in my fog lights, they are bright AF and because the light is produced in a similar fashion to a halogen bulb it has no glare and distinct clear lines and cut offs.
Pics?
Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10/20 F/R spacers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Pics?
Not sure if pics will do them justice. Although they appear bright in pics not sure anyone would know otherwise. I just know based on real life they are a huge improvement.

Next time I have some time, I'll see if I can get a picture that really distingushes the brightness. Until then, you'll have to trust me, brightest lights I've ever seen. I threw them in the vette and my bike that's how bright they are.

Typical HID is about ~3000 Lumen, these are 6000 Lumen and don't glare like HID so they can be used in regular housings.

|Price Match Guarantee + 5% Bonus Back* | |CTS| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Fabspeed| |Injen| Create an Account for up to 10% OFF!
Appreciate 1
FCobra941843.00

12-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
FCobra94
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Typical HID is about ~3000 Lumen, these are 6000 Lumen and don't glare like HID so they can be used in regular housings.
Interesting...yeah, was hoping to get a pic of the cutoff and throw. I think glare will always be a problem in factory fog light housings, but less certainly is better

I installed MTEC 6000K LED Fog bulbs recently and they definitely put out a good bit more light than the stock bulbs (tested with my digital lux meter) and are MUCH better in the rain/fog (only time they should be on anyway). Other than being a touch bluer in color than I prefer, they've proven to be a quality upgrade. Interested in seeing how the HPB units compare.
Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10/20 F/R spacers
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #13
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Hi, soliciting feedback from users with first hand experience.

These are quite spendy compared with a standard H7 halogen, but spec 200% brighter with white light, and are engineered specifically to function properly in a halogen reflector without spurious glare.

Only remotely considering because these are the first LED I'm aware of sourced from an OEM-quality vendor.

Thanks

From what I can see so far, the Philips are horrible, weak and pathetic.... not just in general, but by LED standards vs. Chinese competitors

Also note NOT FOR PUBLIC ROADS warning, which pretty much says right there that they understand their product is dodgy, are afraid of lawsuits, and are NOT willing to stand by it
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #14
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
Also note NOT FOR PUBLIC ROADS warning, which pretty much says right there that they understand their product is dodgy, are afraid of lawsuits, and are NOT willing to stand by it
I'd argue that being a credible large company with a long experience making bulbs for automotive use, they know there isn't a test that facilitates these bulbs yet, and have put that label on there to stop someone suing them for failing an inspection etc for having non-registered bulbs, E-Mark or whatever the country uses.
      01-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
M3nic
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Quote:
I'd argue that being a credible large company with a long experience making bulbs for automotive use, they know there isn't a test that facilitates these bulbs yet, and have put that label on there to stop someone suing them for failing an inspection etc for having non-registered bulbs, E-Mark or whatever the country uses.
Quote:
Quote:
What do you use for low beam ? Led?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #16
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well whatevs.... all I can say is that my $35 china LED fogs (Zdatt 12k lumen H11 headlight bulbs) in stock reflector housings cast almost as much light as my stock projector bixenons (yes verified by turning off headlights at night), literally more than headlights in other cars.... it you really need it, I'll snap some output pics next time I'm in the car at night

On my truck (Ford Expedition), my sealed LED projector fog assemblies ($50) actually cast MORE light than the projector HID headlights

I really cant see the point of paying Philips or Sylvania $170 for an "super-extra-new cutting edge (not really) bulb"

Last edited by Adieu; 01-22-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well whatevs.... all I can say is that my $35 china LED fogs (Zdatt 12k lumen H11 headlight bulbs) in stock reflector housings cast almost as much light as my stock projector bixenons (yes verified by turning off headlights at night), literally more than headlights in other cars.... it you really need it, I'll snap some output pics next time I'm in the car at night

On my truck (Ford Expedition), my sealed LED projector fog assemblies ($50) actually cast MORE light than the projector HID headlights

I really cant see the point of paying Philips or Sylvania $170 for an "super-extra-new cutting edge (not really) bulb"
After playing with lighting in the LED world for nearly a decade, there are some good options without the name brand label. That being said there are some very poor options without the name brand. It's really hit or miss and depends. Some applications have poor performance where other times reliability is the main issue. Only time will tell.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 05:07 AM   #18
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep

The $35 Zdatt 's in fogs w/ hids turned off.... angel eyes are also some kinda China cheapie, but that one is a bit underpowered vs. bixenon though (wanted to install them the other way around, but the Zdatts wont fit in the angel eye slot by the looks of it, too big in the back)

Name:  2018-01-26 00.48.00.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  1.33 MB

Last edited by Adieu; 01-26-2018 at 05:14 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #19
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

tetsuo111 - any feedback on the philips?

My main concerns are regarding the fitment - will the cover be able to put on? I figure the blinding of oncoming traffic and the cut off can be dealt with proper aiming. I reached out to Powerbulbs - below is my questions and their answer.

Message: Looking at the Philips X-tremeUltinon in H7 for the low beams in a
2009 BMW 328i sedan with Halogen and Angel Eye headlights. Your site's
fitting advice says these are options for my car. I am concerned about room
behind the light and closing the dust cover. Can you confirm there is enough
room for these? Thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we would be unable to advise if this item would fit into the headlight unit, however they are designed to fit a wide range of vehicles, and we have not had any previous issues fitting the item into the headlights of the generation of 3 series vehicles which your car fits into.

Kind regards,

Mat

PowerBulbs

www.powerbulbs.com
00 44 1924 334180
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out

Last edited by cdgatti; 02-05-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #20
tetsuo111
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
tetsuo111 - any feedback on the philips?

My main concerns are regarding the fitment - will the cover be able to put on? I figure the blinding of oncoming traffic and the cut off can be dealt with proper aiming. I reached out to Powerbulbs - below is my questions and their answer.

Message: Looking at the Philips X-tremeUltinon in H7 for the low beams in a
2009 BMW 328i sedan with Halogen and Angel Eye headlights. Your site's
fitting advice says these are options for my car. I am concerned about room
behind the light and closing the dust cover. Can you confirm there is enough
room for these? Thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately we would be unable to advise if this item would fit into the headlight unit, however they are designed to fit a wide range of vehicles, and we have not had any previous issues fitting the item into the headlights of the generation of 3 series vehicles which your car fits into.

Kind regards,

Mat

PowerBulbs

www.powerbulbs.com
00 44 1924 334180
Hi,

It's long past due for some user feedback, isn't it....

I bought two pairs of Philips LEDs: one for low beams and one for the high beams. Only one pair was installed in the high beam position. The low beams could be made to work, I think, but will require a higher level of commitment to fit.

I'll explain.

The high beams are straightforward. There is enough room in the high beam module to fit all the parts. One minor modification was necessary to complete the job:

There's a wire retaining clip that holds the H7 bulb inside the lighting module. The clip normally flips over the bulb, and compresses the metal flange on the bulb base.

The Philips LED is physically larger than a standard H7 bulb. Especially the base, because the base has large fins and a tiny cooling fan. The wire retaining clip is still necessary to secure the LED bulb, but since the LED base is large relative to the H7, the wire clip needs to be "spread" and re-shaped to fit over the large base.

The light output is superior to the stock halogens. I'm not concerned about glare because the LEDs are only installed in the high beams position. Naturally the brights would be dimmed in the case of oncoming traffic.

I will make an attempt to install the LEDs on the low beam housing in the future. This will require enlarging the protective cover in the rear to accommodate the LED base. This project would be nice to finish but it isn't near the top of my list.

I made an effort to capture the install in pics, but the limited space was challenging to work around.

Summary: If one doesn't mind bending the retaining clip to fit the larger LED bulb base, then this is an easy project and a no-brainer when comparing the light output.

Good luck!

Appendix 1: Pictures

1) Looking at the rear of the headlight module. Low beam cover on, high beam cover off. The LED module is just visible in the shadow of the high beam module. Sorry couldn't capture the wire retaining clip

2) Partial install. Philips LED on the left (pax side), std halogen on the right (driver's side)

3) Installation complete. Both low and high beams energized.

4) Halogen low beams.

5) Halogen low beams with Philips LED high beams.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #21
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

thanks tetsuo. does the rear fins/fan assembly come off the bulbs? I could have sworn I saw on another site where that part could be screwed off the bulb? Wondering if that could come off the bulb, then the bulb put in place with the retaining clip, then put back on. Anyway good to know they fit for the high beams anyway. Maybe someone with a 3d printer will get the idea to print some new low beam covers that could accomodate.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #22
tetsuo111
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
thanks tetsuo. does the rear fins/fan assembly come off the bulbs? I could have sworn I saw on another site where that part could be screwed off the bulb? Wondering if that could come off the bulb, then the bulb put in place with the retaining clip, then put back on. Anyway good to know they fit for the high beams anyway. Maybe someone with a 3d printer will get the idea to print some new low beam covers that could accomodate.
Yes, the finned / fan base DOES detach from the LED body. This makes the install simpler.

Great idea about using a 3D printer. My idea is relatively primitive: Find a hemispherically or cylindrical-shaped object of the correct size, cut a hole in the back of the stock cover, and JB Weld or epoxy together.
Appreciate 0