E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Mac Help

09-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
jonsteele
Old enough to know better!

Drives: 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Mac Help

I've finally decided to give my laptop the push as I'm fed up of it running slow, being unreliable and Windows crashing all the time! Given my usage I've gone for an iPad for browsing etc and a Mac for general use. The Mac will also be hooked up to a Sonos music system - the plan being to get all my music (iTunes and ripped CDs) onto a large external drive (eventually doing the same with my DVDs).

I've never had anything to do with Macs and the local Apple shop is suggesting I give them my laptop (and the wife's) for 2 weeks to transfer all the files on to the Mac! I'm not IT illiterate (I work in IT) and would rather not be without a laptop for 2 weeks, especially as I'd have to pay for the privilege. So, my questions are:

1. Can I just transfer the files I want onto an external drive and the Mac will be able to read them? If so, can they stay in Windows folders and are there any formats the Mac won't cope with (I'm getting Office for Mac)? If not, what's the best way of getting the files from Windows to the Mac? The files will be mainly Word docs, images, videos.
2. How easy is it to transfer iTunes libraries? There'll be 2 (mine and she who must be obeyed's), so they'll need to reside under different users - do Macs support separate users?

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.
Le Mans Blue/18" Alloys/Bi Xenons/Climate Screen/Black, Heated Dakota Leather/6 CD Changer with Dension 500/Power Mirrors/M3 Lip Spoiler/Gloss Black Grills/Through Load, Storage pack, Lumbar Support, Smokers Deletion
jonsteele is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel

Drives: E61 M Sport + 924 Turbo

Garage List
2 weeks to transfer your files onto a mac!!! They're taking the piss right? 2 hours max!!

Just get an external HD and transfer all your PC files. A back up is always advisable anyway. Make sure you format the external disc as FAT32 first not NTFS. I can't exactly remember but when I hooked up the mac when new I think it asked if I was transfering docs and music files, it then processed my files for me, I think! it was a while ago. Mac can read at least if not work on all the PC documents with iWork which is stock software on the mac. You can save these docs as mac or PC files

Proper Apple stores will transfer all documents, music and videos for you and when I last checked this was a free service when you buy your mac.

I would suggest you combine yours and the misses music libraries into one music file for itunes. Several ipods/phones can be created as separate users and you can sync your individual ipods with the music of your choice. I also see no benefit of running your mac as 'two' users.
Carrera RSR is offline   England
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
evil_scooby
New 335d coupe owner

Drives: Scooby

I have a mac and they can read NTFS fine now (not sure if they previously had issues)
The only down side was they cant natively write to NTFS drives so as long as your files are relatively small (under 4gb each) then FAT32 is easiest.

You can put a program on the mac and it allows it to write NTFS.
evil_scooby is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
redalex
Enlisted Member

Drives: e92 330d

I can't add anything to that advice other than to say I've recently followed a similar process to yourself (that of moving from PC to Mac and using an external hard drive to transfer files etc). Had no problems at all and certainly didn't need to be without my computer for 2 weeks! Enjoy the change...you've made a good move!
redalex is offline   England
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
jonsteele

Garage List
Thanks for your help.

If I combine mine and her indoors' libraries how will it cope with old purchases? I'd rather not have to keep swapping Apple IDs, or does it do it automatically when the different iPhones or iPods are plugged in?
Le Mans Blue/18" Alloys/Bi Xenons/Climate Screen/Black, Heated Dakota Leather/6 CD Changer with Dension 500/Power Mirrors/M3 Lip Spoiler/Gloss Black Grills/Through Load, Storage pack, Lumbar Support, Smokers Deletion
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
Carrera RSR
Colonel

Drives: E61 M Sport + 924 Turbo

Garage List
Here is a site which covers everything to do with ipod and itunes. This link may not answer your question but I am sure I have read somewhere its possible. Its all about authorising the computer to use the purchases, not the ipods

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...ew-hard-drive/

I think I am right in saying

Transfer all music to your mac
Open itunes and log in to your account in itunes store and this authorises your account and music on the computer
Also log into your partners account and again it authorises the account and music on the computer
As long as both accounts are authorised with the same mac then both libraries are available to both of you. You can also authorise the accounts by clicking the store tab on the top of the screen without logging into the itunes store. This is advisable if you only want to use one purchase account going forward.

You then decide when each of you sync your ipods which music you transfer or not. You can have upto 5 authorised computers for any one account. If you are getting rid of a computer try to remember to de authorise it. If you forget and reach your 5 computer limit you can go into the account an de authorise all computers and reset. Then just authorise the ones you are using.

Voila!

Last edited by Carrera RSR; 10-01-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Carrera RSR is offline   England
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
jonsteele

Garage List
Thanks guys - think I've got enough to get me sorted there.

Been out and bought a 2TB HD today and off to Trafford Centre tomorrow to purchase a sparkley iMac!
Appreciate 0