E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > MFactory LSD experience

10-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
MadToy
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '11 335i Sport/Premium

Thumbs up MFactory LSD experience

I was initially very hesitant to put an LSD in my '11 335i, as previous LSD installs on my other 'Family Sedan' resulted in a noisy ride. I enjoy the peace and quiet my 35 gives me now, and didn't want that to change.

However, since I also enjoy Autocrossing and drag racing (at the track), I knew one of the best ways I could improve the 35 was with an LSD. I held off though, as sticker shock for the common options out there were more than I was willing to bear at the time. Until I saw the MFactory option pop up, I had no intention of doing the LSD for a while. But at the price, I was willing to move it up on the list

My first idea was brilliant - just buy the LSD unit, and have my Indy shop install it in the diff for me. While I usually do these things myself, I've grown tired of working on the garage floor with jack stands. Plus, I know there's a thin line getting the gears set up correctly. Well, the Indy shop looked at me cross eyed when I showed up with just the LSD. They said it was more work than they were comfortable with to install the unit. Checking around revealed most places didn't want to touch it. :

So, a simple PM to Stephen at MFactory, and no questions asked - just send it back, and have it replaced with the fully built pumpkin for the difference in price. I like this idea, as it's comforting to know the diff was built by the folks that do it all the time. So several days later, the slightly heavier, bigger box arrives. Indy shop was much happier, and for just over $400, I had it all installed. They even packed up my old diff in the box properly to be returned for the core charge.

My first thoughts, driving off, were "Did they actually do anything?" The diff was as quiet as it has always been. No whining, and no clunking shifting from Reverse to Drive. I had to nail it at a turn to make sure they put the new diff in Sure enough, a wonderful sideways drift ensued.

The real test though was this past weekend at the Autocross. What a difference! It's amazing how much faster I was able to take some of the sweepers that would normally have me spinning out of control. The LSD provided very controlled and confident drifts between transitions - so much so that I had a headache from the huge grin I would have every time I went through this one section. The more comfortable I got with how controllable it was, the more time I was able to cut off my laps.

Big props to MFactory for a great product at a great price! Best bang for the buck along with the JB4 to turn the family sedan into a Porsche beater on the weekends
2011 335i E90 || JB4 Stage 2 ISO w/FF || VRSF CP || AFE Drop in Filter || M3 Front Control Arms || Wagner Evo1 FMIC || Eibach front sway bar || Alpina B3 tranny flash || MFactory LSD || 8.06@90 1/8th mile
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
MFactory
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Send a message via AIM to MFactory Send a message via MSN to MFactory Send a message via Skype™ to MFactory
Glad you are enjoying your new toy
      10-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Manny_World
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [4.33]
1994 BMW 525i  [0.00]
Good review. I've been itching to order one but currently touring overseas and wouldn't be able to return the core on time. Definitely will place an order late Nov-Dec. I also do autox, drag, and HPDE. Can't wait to feel the difference.
      10-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
MadToy
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: '11 335i Sport/Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_World View Post
Good review. I've been itching to order one but currently touring overseas and wouldn't be able to return the core on time. Definitely will place an order late Nov-Dec. I also do autox, drag, and HPDE. Can't wait to feel the difference.
It'll certainly make all 3 of those events more fun
2011 335i E90 || JB4 Stage 2 ISO w/FF || VRSF CP || AFE Drop in Filter || M3 Front Control Arms || Wagner Evo1 FMIC || Eibach front sway bar || Alpina B3 tranny flash || MFactory LSD || 8.06@90 1/8th mile
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
scorpnaz7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i

Definitely a great mod. I was part of the first batch and have not had any problems with it.
Appreciate 0