E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Subwoofer replacement

10-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
tylerdurdon
Private

Drives: BMW 335i

Subwoofer replacement

Hey guys, I'm looking to replace my stock subs with something a little more efficient. I don't want to add an amp or any other modification, as the rest of the stock setup is good enough for me.

Do any of you have some suggestions on what would be a good replacement? Also, anyone got the stock output to the sub, wattage-wise?
      10-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
You need to tell us what system you have (standard, hifi, or L7 (top hifi)). Every system has different wattages and impedances.

As far as upgrading goes...nothing is going to improve quality without external amplification. You can amp your stock woofers. I have my stock L7 woofers amped at 75w @ 8ohms. Not much of an increase from stock (70w @ 4 ohms) but my situation is different. I have a trunk sub and needed to be able to adjust the gain on the underseat woofers individually, separate from the rest of my system.
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      10-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
VP Electricity
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E91 XDrive

And what you'll find is that OEM speakers are ALWAYS as efficient as possible, that upgraded speakers are ALWAYS less efficient, and that your upgrade will probably be different than you expect at the moment.

Here is a doc you might want to read:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...4&d=1278871872

But your options for more bass output will involve either new underseat woofers and an amp, or a trunk sub and an amp. Other parts may be involved depending, but that's a baseline expectation.
Named a Top 12 Retailer in North America
musicarnw.com (please email, don't PM)

VP Electricity is offline   United_States
      10-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
tylerdurdon
Private

Ahhh....This is my first BMW. Guess I'm used to cars that come with crappy stereo, haha.

I can't tell what kind of stereo I have, but the last 7 of my vin are VF50520 if that lets you guys know.

Thanks anywho!
      10-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
VP Electricity
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E91 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdon View Post
Ahhh....This is my first BMW. Guess I'm used to cars that come with crappy stereo, haha.

I can't tell what kind of stereo I have, but the last 7 of my vin are VF50520 if that lets you guys know.

Thanks anywho!
Seriously? Did you read the doc?

Do you have front tweeters? If so, do you have an equalizer feature? Answer those two...
Named a Top 12 Retailer in North America
musicarnw.com (please email, don't PM)

VP Electricity is offline   United_States
      10-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
tafan321
Private First Class

Drives: 2010 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post

Do you have front tweeters? If so, do you have an equalizer feature? Answer those two...

Hope you have your waiter outfit on VP
tafan321 is offline   United_States
      10-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
tylerdurdon
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post

Yea man, I looked. It's apparent that it's either a HiFi or Top HiFi since it's an '07, but I didn't see anything that looked like what I envision as an equalizer.

It may be the Top HiFi though since I do have a silver amp underneath the "CD player" panel in my trunk, but again, I'm not sure.

Erp...nevermind. I just went out to my car and messed with the radio. It seems that I do have a 7 band equalizer, so this must be the Top HiFi.
      10-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
kmarei
Major General

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdon View Post
so this must be the Top HiFi.
so you need a LOC with a small amp to drive the SWS-8 subs
kmarei is offline   Egypt
      10-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
You might might want to look into a trunk sub with amp and amp your stock woofers. This is what I'm doin and turned my woofers into midbass drivers, playing between 150hz -60hz.

Started with the SWS-8s....blew them with a JL 500/1.
Had a trunk sub for awhile. Now I have my underseats amped with my trunk sub...it's getting there. I think I might do the MS-8 next.
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      04-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
paul92nyr

Drives: 06 330i

i am trying to do EXACTLY what ********* did, don't really want to mess with my system that much, just want to add some bass! what are the best recomindations fro install. amp, subs, etc. trying to stick under $500 is thats possible
paul92nyr is offline   United_States
      04-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
You need to tell us what system you have (standard, hifi, or L7 (top hifi)). Every system has different wattages and impedances.

As far as upgrading goes...nothing is going to improve quality without external amplification. You can amp your stock woofers. I have my stock L7 woofers amped at 75w @ 8ohms. Not much of an increase from stock (70w @ 4 ohms) but my situation is different. I have a trunk sub and needed to be able to adjust the gain on the underseat woofers individually, separate from the rest of my system.
I know I'm quoting something 3 years old, but I can't let it go - what do you mean stock woofers at 8ohms now vs 4ohms then? You can't just... change the woofer impedance. It's a fundamental aspect of the voice coil design. It's not going to change without changing the driver (or at least VC, but I only know of subs with changeable VCs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul92nyr View Post
i am trying to do EXACTLY what ********* did, don't really want to mess with my system that much, just want to add some bass! what are the best recomindations fro install. amp, subs, etc. trying to stick under $500 is thats possible
Totally should have started a new thread.

Anyway the wisdom in the thread is still true. The best thing you can do without changing any drivers is to get a JBL MS-8, but you'll require additional separate amplification for the underseats anyway, and the MS-8 on its own is like $800 retail. And it won't really do anything for ADDING bass to the system.

As far as just adding some low end, Adding a subwoofer and a dedicated amp for it is a good plan, but for anything that won't sound crappy, you'll blow your budget on amp alone.

Instead, I'll just tell you what I did. A friend happened to give me a sub very well suited to infinite baffle install (Boston SPG-555), and a GREAT amp to drive it (Alpine PDX-M12). The sub is ~$300-350 used and the amp pretty similar, so unfortunately those are still a bit out of budget (if you can find the two for less, you still have power wiring and a whole PITA of signal tapping to do to avoid buying a technic harness, which I recommend you do. But IF you can make the combination work on your budget, I highly recommend it). With a remote volume control, tuning everything to your taste is pretty easy.

If you can't make those work on your budget, you can go with a lower cost sub and amp, but the trick will be finding a sub well suited to infinite baffle (which I recommend for the sake of both sound quality and efficiency) and an amp which supports balanced (fully differential) 8v inputs (lots do, most don't, and some that do won't tell you, like the pdx-m12), else you'll need to budget the cost of a technic harness as well (PM him).

I sort of lucked into a really great, nearly free setup, so perhaps someone else will have better insight.
      04-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
bmw325i
Brigadier General

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
You should have just started your own thread.

Anyways, I wouldn't bother messing with the underseats if you are just wanting more bass. You'll get much more for your money by adding a trunk sub, and it would be less work to install. Here is what I would do with that budget. I'm assuming you have a ski pass. If you do you can face this forward and seal it up against the rear seat.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-SWS-12D4.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-R500X1D.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...gate-RFK4.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...Enclosure.html
Technics harness

For a total of $385 not including the price of Technic's harness. With the harness you will still be under budget.
      06-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
paul92nyr

Drives: 06 330i

my BIG question is can i use my current head unit. i have the logic 7 unit( the top of the line one they put in, forget what bmw calls it).
paul92nyr is offline   United_States
      06-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
my BIG question is can i use my current head unit. i have the logic 7 unit( the top of the line one they put in, forget what bmw calls it).
Look up "logic 7 to hifi recode," it's a pretty common thing.

Otherwise, there are a couple options on the market for MOST bus to preamp out units that will the digital-analog conversion in the trunk for feeding into aftermarket amps.
      06-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
rightaway
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

are spacers for the under seat subs worth the money? I'm thinking about getting some earthquake subs
      06-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
sunmans
Private

Drives: E36 1997 320i / E90 2008 320 M

Send a message via Skype™ to sunmans
For sure! They are high in quality and look great!!
sunmans is offline   Japan