E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Pre-LCI to LCI side mirror

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Pre-LCI to LCI side mirror
Published by beanbean
03-01-2015
Pre-LCI to LCI side mirror

Is it just plug and play or need to rewiring?

Thank you
Tutorial Tools
By Dkhan22 on 03-05-2015, 01:10 PM
why do you want to? pre-lci mirrors look a lot nicer.
By Rotary Rasp on 03-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhan22 View Post
why do you want to? pre-lci mirrors look a lot nicer.
+1

Pre-LCI mirrors look MUCH better.
By Killerx on 03-13-2015, 10:20 PM
Yah, I'm confused. My older car mirrors look a gazillion times better then my newer car. I think you got them mixed up

B
By Augster on 03-17-2015, 01:29 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
100%100%100%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 47%
Depends upon if the options on the "newer" mirror are the same as your original mirrors, and model year of your car. I added auto-dimming, folding LCI mirrors to my non-folding, non-dimming, memory-seating 2008 but didn't have to do any rewiring whatsoever. I had already added an auto-dimming interior rear-view mirror (which required a factory retrofit wiring kit) and did have to code the car accordingly in order to enable auto-dimming of the side mirrors.

If you are adding a folding mirror option, you will need a new window/mirror switch assembly for your door panel (I was lucky in that the seller I bought the mirrors from was also selling a like new switch).

As for aesthetics, I actually prefer the newer larger housing covers over the older smaller housing covers (but yes the pre-LCI's do look sportier)! But since my LCI mirrors were from a factory M-Sport, it did have the lower portion of mirror housing in black "tape" (in addition to having a high gloss versus matte black trim) giving the illusion the housings are smaller and sleeker (I had to have the housings repainted Alpine White since they were Space Gray so I had the shop paint the lower portion black instead of masking or re-applying the factory black taping, so the transition between the two colors is smooth and seamless). As for functionality, the larger LCI mirrors do provide a little more viewing area so theoretically this should offer a little more safety margin.
Attached Images

Last edited by Augster; 03-17-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Comment