E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Is there a way to control my iPhone from the device itself when using 6FL cable?

10-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
3times3
First Lieutenant

Drives: in a lot of traffic

Is there a way to control my iPhone from the device itself when using 6FL cable?

Just got a 6FL cable and hooked it up. I thought it would allow me to control the iPod functionality from the stereo/steering wheel as well as from the iPod itself. I can't find a way to do this. When I plug it in it immediately goes to the screen on the left, I want to be able to use the screen on the right. I checked all the settings and couldn't find a way to do so - the BMW interface automatically overrides the iPod interface.
Attached Images

10-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
jsunma
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 328iT

Yup, that's what happens....when connected to the car (via the BMW cable), the iPhone/iPod interface on the device itself is locked out and displays the screen you show.

IMO this stinks as the non-iDrive iPod interface on the car is limited, difficult to use, and seems to have all manner of bugs/glitches (depending on the version of the OS you have and/or other specific configuration/model year of BMW). But it's what we get.
      10-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
jaza45
Banned

Drives: 2008 LSB E90 335I

Send a message via AIM to jaza45 Send a message via MSN to jaza45 Send a message via Yahoo to jaza45 Send a message via Skype™ to jaza45
If you jailbreak it you can...
jaza45 is offline   Colombia
      10-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Berber
Registered

Drives: 328i Xdrive

Use a small DC to USB power adapter. Plug the usb end of the cable to the adapter to get power from the cig. lighter port. (Keep the mini jack end plugged into the Aux connector) Change the radio setting to Aux (input) and control your Iphone.

Berber
      10-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
3times3
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berber View Post
Use a small DC to USB power adapter. Plug the usb end of the cable to the adapter to get power from the cig. lighter port. (Keep the mini jack end plugged into the Aux connector) Change the radio setting to Aux (input) and control your Iphone.

Berber
But then I won't be able to skip tracks from the steering wheel. Basically the same as using a mini-jack to mini-jack cable like I've been doing, just don't get charging with it. I'd like to be able to skip tracks on the steering wheel but select albums/artists from the phone itself (I don't have iDrive and selecting through the CD interface is SLOW). Guess that's how it has to be though...
      10-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
You could also use something like the Blackberry Stereo Gateway to stream music to your AUX port over bluetooth. I do this in my car....works with the BMW bluetooth as well. I have an early 06 so I have no iPod connectivity. However I have used the iPod interface on a 5-series and nothing beats the apple interface.

However you lose the steering wheel controls. I'm trying to make a dock in my ashtray so I can use an apple remote to change songs....or use my iTouch to change songs. I need to replace the battery though
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      10-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Taito
Banned

Drives: 15 F80 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
If you jailbreak it you can...
Curious minds want to know!
Taito is offline   United_States
      10-14-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
reign528
Nerds RULE!

Drives: AW 12' 135i Msport - Adriana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taito View Post
Curious minds want to know!
go to cydia and download "no accessory" You''ll be able to control from the car or from the ipod...

Previous Cars: 07' Black 335i | 99' Silver 528i
reign528 is offline   United_States
      10-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
3times3
First Lieutenant

Thanks, but looks like that's only for jailbroken phones, not interested in doing that.