E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > H&R sport springs w/ non ZSP shocks?

01-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
ScheerSpeed
Major General

Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Send a message via AIM to ScheerSpeed Send a message via MSN to ScheerSpeed
H&R sport springs w/ non ZSP shocks?

i was told the shocks would wear out quickly. is this true? if so would it be better with ZSP shocks? (i do not have the $$ for coilovers) does anyone have ZSP shocks they want to sell me?
ScheerSpeed is offline   United_States
      01-23-2007, 01:47 AM   #2
kt157
Captain

Drives: jet black 330i

Send a message via AIM to kt157
u'll be good for like 50k+ miles on the oem shocks
      01-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
RichP
Major

Drives: V-Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt157 View Post
u'll be good for like 50k+ miles on the oem shocks
Not true. The OEM shocks were not made for the higher spring rate and lower amount of travel the HR sport springs are going to provide.

Save up and do it right (new shocks + springs). Its a BMW, it should handle like one
      01-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
obLu
Major

Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Yah, I don't think the non-zsp shocks are going have the dampening rate to hold up to the spring rate of the h&r sport springs.

When I did h&r sport springs with oem sport pack shocks on my e46 it was really floaty and bottomed out on big high speed dips. Ended up costing me more in the long run.
      01-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
Fraggy
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu View Post
Yah, I don't think the non-zsp shocks are going have the dampening rate to hold up to the spring rate of the h&r sport springs.

When I did h&r sport springs with oem sport pack shocks on my e46 it was really floaty and bottomed out on big high speed dips. Ended up costing me more in the long run.
I had the same experience as well.
      01-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
ScheerSpeed
Major General

Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Send a message via AIM to ScheerSpeed Send a message via MSN to ScheerSpeed
how about if i got ZSP shocks and sport springs???
ScheerSpeed is offline   United_States
      01-25-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Evan@Creative
Second Lieutenant

Drives: A work in progress

Send a message via AIM to Evan@Creative
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP View Post
Not true. The OEM shocks were not made for the higher spring rate and lower amount of travel the HR sport springs are going to provide.

Save up and do it right (new shocks + springs). Its a BMW, it should handle like one
If your gonna bother saving up shocks and springs, might as well just get a set of KW V1's or V2's. That way, you got a shock that is perfectly matched to the spring. It's only a difference of $400. This way you can give your self some options on how low you want your car or how stiff you want the ride to be.
Evan@Creative is offline   United_States
      01-30-2007, 01:05 AM   #8
HRC
MAUI BUILT

Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to HRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan@Creative View Post
If your gonna bother saving up shocks and springs, might as well just get a set of KW V1's or V2's. That way, you got a shock that is perfectly matched to the spring. It's only a difference of $400. This way you can give your self some options on how low you want your car or how stiff you want the ride to be.
I disagree, for some, a CO system is great, for others, a spring and shock combo is better for their needs. Only thing a CO system offers that I don't have is corner-balancing, but this isn't my track car. I never plan on changing the height of my car, and I can adjust the damping rates on the yellows if needed.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
HRC is offline   United_States
      01-30-2007, 01:26 AM   #9
ADHD
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 E90 328i

Garage List
07 e90 335  [0.00]
07 335  [0.00]
06 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC View Post
I disagree, for some, a CO system is great, for others, a spring and shock combo is better for their needs. Only thing a CO system offers that I don't have is corner-balancing, but this isn't my track car. I never plan on changing the height of my car, and I can adjust the damping rates on the yellows if needed.

Danny
COMPLETLY DISAGREEEEE!!! ive had both and YES the KWV2's are WAY BETTER!!
dom save your money and get coilovers! You of all people should have coilovers!
      01-30-2007, 01:30 AM   #10
HRC
MAUI BUILT

Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to HRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
COMPLETLY DISAGREEEEE!!! ive had both and YES the KWV2's are WAY BETTER!!
dom save your money and get coilovers! You of all people should have coilovers!
LOL, Tyler I agree that we disagree. You are one of the people that CO are great for! Not everyone has your needs/wants. BTW, did you have both springs and shocks or just springs on OEM shocks before?

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
HRC is offline   United_States
      01-30-2007, 03:53 AM   #11
Evan@Creative
Second Lieutenant

Drives: A work in progress

Send a message via AIM to Evan@Creative
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC View Post
LOL, Tyler I agree that we disagree. You are one of the people that CO are great for! Not everyone has your needs/wants. BTW, did you have both springs and shocks or just springs on OEM shocks before?

Danny
I agree that not everyone needs coilovers. I just suggest them to people that want to improve their suspension but are not really sure if they want to deal with a harsh ride all the time. All I'm saying is that coils give you more options.

Last edited by Evan@Creative; 01-30-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Evan@Creative is offline   United_States
      01-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
Adham
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i sedan

Send a message via AIM to Adham
don't half ass it. get the coilovers because they are far superior in fit/finish, adjustability, performance, and overall quality. that being said, everybody who drive a 335 clearly has enough money to buy coilovers, its just all a matter of how much you really want them and how heavily you value things like lowered ride height, a bit harsher ride quality, and enhanced performance. If, for example, you value lowered ride height a great deal and dont value enhanced performance at all, then springs would be fine for you (and if you dont care about your shocks).
I have seen too many nice cars ruined because of poor choices in modification and trying to cut corners.
My bottom line opinion is if you dont want to get coilovers, dont change the suspension at all.