E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Koni FSD Damper Set

06-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
ronmeister
Private

Drives: 11' 335i Xdrive

Koni FSD Damper Set

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...+Sport+Package
      06-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
They are good for an OEM replacement but if you have lowering springs you should stick with Koni Yellow's as FSD are not intended for lowered vehicles.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      06-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
ronmeister
Private

Drives: 11' 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
They are good for an OEM replacement but if you have lowering springs you should stick with Koni Yellow's as FSD are not intended for lowered vehicles.
Thank you.
      06-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
dpaul
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2009 E90 335xi

I used them to replace the stock struts/shocks on my 335xi

The difference was incredible.

With the stock suspension (which might have been very worn but showed no obvious sign of damage), small potholes and abrupt changes in road surface elevation caused bottoming and disturbingly loud noise. Many others have reported this problem (search "pothole explosion"). It was very disappointing to say the least - I had previously owned an E46 325xi which was a joy to pilot around our horrible roads and was regretting the purchase of the E90. But after the changeout, rough surfaces were no longer a problem and I could at last enjoy driving the car without anxiety.

Prior to installing the FSBs, I changed out the 17" RFTs to 18" Conti DWs on OZ Ultraleggera wheels, and experimented with tire pressures, each of which made positive but small improvements in the suspension compliance. The FSBs completely solved the problem.

I don't have experience with Koni Yellows (or any other aftermarket struts/shocks) but the ride with FSBs is much more comfortable than stock and the ability to control the vehicle on less-than-perfect road surfaces is much improved.

As Jeff pointed out, Koni recommends against their use with lowering springs.

Last edited by dpaul; 06-10-2014 at 09:39 AM.
dpaul is offline   United_States
      06-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
snowymountains

Drives: 2006 330xi

+1

Have them on my 330xi and they are way better than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
I used them to replace the stock struts/shocks on my 335xi

The difference was incredible.
      06-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
SactoE90

Drives: 2006 e90 325i

Garage List
06' 325i  [0.00]
FSD with springs as a package?

Question for the group. If Koni recommends against using the FSDs with lowering springs, are the "kits" I am seeing advertised packaged with springs 'no bueno'? My '06 325i, with Sport Pkg, just 100k and I know the shocks and struts are needing to be replaced. I don't want to see the car any lower than it is, as it already scrapes some speed bumps and the wider hill style bumps.

I had considered going with just the FSDs and the factory springs, but one of the guys with ECS Tuning suggested swapping the springs as well since they are likely pretty tired after 100k. Any thoughts on the life left in the factory springs?

My end goal is to end up with a very livable ride, not too firm and certainly anywhere near a grandma's Buick.

Looking to hear what you all have experienced and what recommendations you would!
SactoE90 is offline   United_States
      06-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
aadum
Private

Drives: 330 xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I have tried this option with h&r springs and it is still to harsh even on the softest option. We need something shorter like Bilstein b8 (didn't try yet) but it should work better with lowered cars ?
      06-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadum View Post
I have tried this option with h&r springs and it is still to harsh even on the softest option. We need something shorter like Bilstein b8 (didn't try yet) but it should work better with lowered cars ?
I guess it depends on your sensitivity.

At the end of the day I personally tell any folks looking for a smooth ride to not get spring and shock combos as historically in my personal experience they always road a lot harsher.

On this specific E92 chassis I personally found the kw v2 to be a nice compromise because I didn't want a harsh ride myself but wanted to lower the car and have some adjustability.

The v1 were good too, I've ridden those also but I wanted the v2 so I can dial in the shocks a bit more.

Daily driving my 335 I almost forgot I had an aftermarket suspension with the kw v2.

My z06 from the factory is more harsh then my 335 I with kw v2.
      06-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
MBP0202
Private

Drives: n52

Ordered these a while back, they're going to be installed tomorrow so I'll give everybody an update when I've gotten a chance to test them out.

I'll be using these with my OEM springs as Koni does not recommend the FSDs with lowering springs. Plus this is a daily driver, and I do not intend on lowering the vehicle. I live in the Northeast and make many trips into the wilds of New Hampshire during ski season plus I really don't mind the gap.

Comfort is the main objective, limiting pothole explosions, and handling improvement would be nice. I think the FSDs will fit the bill well. If I lived in Arizona, Texas, Florida or a place with smoother roads and with no snow then maybe I would have gone with coilovers or Koni Yellows w/ lowering springs...

For a E90 328xi the part number is: Koni FSD 2100-4123

2007 E90 328xi l 6MT l Sparkling Graphite Metallic l ZSP l ZPP l ZCW l iDrive l Logic 7 l MMW Headers l AA Stage 2 l BMW Performance Intake l BMW Performance Exhaust l Euphoria 6K LED interior l Blacklines l V3 Mtec l VMR VB3

Last edited by MBP0202; 08-21-2014 at 12:36 PM.
MBP0202 is offline   United_States
      08-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
riso1988

Drives: 330xi

MBP0202 - how'd it tuyrn out with the FSDs on the stock springs? Are you happy with the ride? Is it too ' bouncy'?
      08-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
Cir14
Private First Class

Drives: 07 328xi Montego Blue Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP0202 View Post
Ordered these a while back, they're going to be installed tomorrow so I'll give everybody an update when I've gotten a chance to test them out.

I'll be using these with my OEM springs as Koni does not recommend the FSDs with lowering springs. Plus this is a daily driver, and I do not intend on lowering the vehicle. I live in the Northeast and make many trips into the wilds of New Hampshire during ski season plus I really don't mind the gap.

Comfort is the main objective, limiting pothole explosions, and handling improvement would be nice. I think the FSDs will fit the bill well. If I lived in Arizona, Texas, Florida or a place with smoother roads and with no snow then maybe I would have gone with coilovers or Koni Yellows w/ lowering springs...

For a E90 328xi the part number is: Koni FSD 2100-4123

Wondering if you could provide an update on your experience w/ the Koni FSD. How’s the ride while retaining the stock springs?
Everything including skiing up north is on par with what I'm looking for in an upgraded suspension.
      08-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #12
MBP0202
Private

Drives: n52

I've been riding on the Koni FSDs for about 1,000 miles now and the ride is great! It is a vast improvement over stock, no more "bang" when I go over unimproved roads, so it has basically eliminated the "pot hole explosions." When I first got them installed, I was almost looking for things to hit to see how the FSDs would respond, and they greatly reduce the impact of pot holes/sewer covers, etc...

As far as handling is concerned I would say there's a noticeable improvement as well. Now granted I live in the northeast and if I can actually find a smooth road I have felt a more sportier ride. The car feels very planted/flat when I turn in and accelerate out a of a corner. Remember there is a direct correlation between the stiffness of the ride and the handling characteristics. Stiffer suspension, better handling, but the rougher the ride. Softer suspension, less sporty, but more compliant ride. The FSDs are not adjustable, so I was a bit concerned about the level of comfort vs sportiness of the ride, and the fact that if I didn't like it then I was SOL. But Koni has struck a great balance between these two important factors and I doubt I would change the setting even if I could...

I would say the FSDs do a great job in the comfort department as well as a good improvement in the sport/handling department. You just have to be honest with yourself in terms of what type of roads you drive on and the type of driving you usually do.

Stock springs with the FSDs have worked out great, there was no drop which is what I wanted. The car is already a snow plow in the winter so I didn't want it any lower. If you want to go lower, then I would recommend the Koni Yellows with lowering springs, these are adjustable, but I don't have time to be constantly adjusting my suspension, and my road conditions don't vary too much. If you go from bumpy back roads one day to a track day the next, then I'd say spring for the adjustable yellows.

For an AWD year round daily driver that sees all types of roads conditions, the Koni FSDs have exceeded my expectations. For a $600 out of the box suspension solution, it has performed well. Put it this way, your speed and driving abilities will run out far before the capabilities of this suspension will, all the while giving you a more comfy/compliant ride

2007 E90 328xi l 6MT l Sparkling Graphite Metallic l ZSP l ZPP l ZCW l iDrive l Logic 7 l MMW Headers l AA Stage 2 l BMW Performance Intake l BMW Performance Exhaust l Euphoria 6K LED interior l Blacklines l V3 Mtec l VMR VB3

Last edited by MBP0202; 08-21-2014 at 12:39 PM.
MBP0202 is offline   United_States
      08-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #13
'02onthebrain
Private First Class

Drives: '07 335xi; '00 911 C4

I want these. They are $600 online now for my xi and I almost pull the trigger daily!

Thanks for the updated review!
      08-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP0202 View Post
I've been riding on the Koni FSDs for about 1,000 miles now and the ride is great! It is a vast improvement over stock, no more "bang" when I go over unimproved roads, so it has basically eliminated the "pot hole explosions." When I first got them installed, I was almost looking for things to hit to see how the FSDs would respond, and they greatly reduce the impact of pot holes/sewer covers, etc...

As far as handling is concerned I would say there's a noticeable improvement as well. Now granted I live in the northeast and if I can actually find a smooth road I have felt a more sportier ride. The car feels very planted/flat when I turn in and accelerate out a of a corner. Remember there is a direct correlation between the stiffness of the ride and the handling capabilities. Stiffer suspension, better handling, but the rougher the ride. Softer suspension, less sporty, but more compliant ride. The FSDs are not adjustable, so I was a bit concerned about the level of comfort vs sportiness of the ride, and the fact that if I didn't like it then I was SOL. But Koni has struck a great balance between these two important factors and I doubt I would change the setting even if I could...

I would say the FSDs do a great job in the comfort department as well as a good improvement in the sport/handling department. You just have to be honest with yourself in terms of what type of roads you drive on and the type of driving you usually do.

Stock springs with the FSDs have worked out great, there was no drop which is what I wanted. The car is already a snow plow in the winter so I didn't want it any lower. If you want to go lower, then I would recommend the Koni Yellows with lowering springs, these are adjustable, but I don't have time to be constantly adjusting my suspension, and my road conditions don't vary too much. If you go from bumpy back roads one day to a track day the next, then I'd say spring for the adjustable yellows.

For an AWD year round daily driver that sees all types of roads conditions, the Koni FSDs have exceeded my expectations. For a $700 out of the box suspension solution, it has performed well. Put it this way, your speed and driving abilities will run out far before the capabilities of this suspension will, all the while giving you a more comfy/compliant ride
Awesome review
      08-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
bman5150
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 335i XDrive

I've experienced all the negative suspension characteristics that you guys have described with my stock suspension on my 2011 335i xDrive. It's bouncy and uncontrolled when driving on bumpy roads or over road imperfections and bottoms out in the rear over bumps at highway speeds. Honestly it almost seems like the stock dampers are toast but I've only got 50K miles on the car. I'm not doing lowering springs but do plan to replace the stock dampers with either the Bilstein HDs or these Koni FSDs. I also am inclined to keep the run flats. My car is an M Sport so it's got a staggered set of stock 18 inch rims with summer tires on it for 3/4 of the year.

How would you guys compare/contrast the Bilsteins to the FSDs? With run flats?
      Today, 07:10 PM   #16
njdan
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2010 328i Xdrive

Where is the best place to buy the FSD's for my 2010 328i Xdrive coupe?