E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Any DIY for transmission mount replacement?

06-14-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
yokozowner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Red face Any DIY for transmission mount replacement?

hey guys looking for a DIY for changing out the transmission mount on a 335xi 2010. Also any advice to what parts asides from the mounts should be purchased?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
PhaseP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325XI

There are two engine mounts and one mount that is on the transfer case

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...MW-335xi&mg=22

I guess you mean the mount on the transfer case.

It appears to be press fit in, which is the difficult part.

There is a diy for E46 either on pelicanparts.com or rmeuropean.com or one of those sites.

The guy uses a big enough ball joint separator receiver to press it in while under the car. But e90 transfer case does not have a flat side on there to place such a receiver.
If the mount is not really broken, leave it alone I say. It is not an oil filled mount. You may see tears, but if they are not on the thick rib sections of the rubber they are expected. There is thin sheet like rubber sections between the ribs which will crack and tear after first use.

There are diys for transfer case oil change that show how to remove the bracket that the bolt goes through it, again search for pelicanparts, fcpeuro or rmeuropean diy articles. Getting out that long bolt is problematic but doable.

Getting out the old mount one would be difficult, because it is press fit. But real problem would be pressing in the new one. Hammer and a flat block of wood or steel may work, BUT if you are under the car on jack stands, it will be dangerous.

I was going to replace mine along with engine mounts, I gave up on it. It was not broken and didn't feel safe at all pounding center of the car with a hammer while lying under it on jack stands. Plus it was really tight up there, not much room to drive it out and in.

It would be much easier and safer if whole transfer case is taken out and mount replaced on a bench. But than it is a job to remove the transfer case. Need to unbolt front and rear drive shafts, remove anything like breather tubes or cables, then unbolt it from the transmission, while the transmission is supported with a jack. The drive shafts will spin free when car is on jack stands, so somehow they have to be blocked to remove the bolts. Other people done it so you can find diys on them, I don't know. Impact wrench may work for removal. Be careful not to force the wheels on ground to turn while trying to bolt and unbolt them, again if you are on jack stands on front wheels and rears are on ground. You don't want them rolling while you are under the car.

Other than the mount, as parts it maybe a good idea to use new bolt and nut that goes through that mount.

If transfer case is taken out, the seal between it and transmission is better to be replaced, that comes to my mind. It may also be a good idea to drain the transfer case first and refill after mounting it back. If going by book the drain and fill plugs are one time use and need to be replaced. I would replace them, not to risk leak later on. The fluid is special and somewhat expensive, but transfer case itself is more expensive to experiment other fluids.

If the mount is really broken, this one may be better left to pros, depends on your level of skill, experience and tool arsenal.

Last edited by PhaseP; 06-16-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
PhaseP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325XI

That link I had is for 2008 335xi, yours I notices is 2010. You can search for your car in realoem and see the exact parts, there maybe changes. But it looks like two engine mounts and one transfer case mount for your car also.
Appreciate 0