BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > PSA: front diff fiasco, check that fluid & seals!

08-25-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
The Wolf

Drives: stuff

Send a message via AIM to ls3c6 Send a message via MSN to ls3c6 Send a message via Yahoo to ls3c6
PSA: front diff fiasco, check that fluid & seals!

I purchased my 2008 335xi at 85k miles in mid 2013 and while doing maintenance I discovered the RF axle seal had a leak. After searching some threads here that seemed to be common and even some believe it left the factory like this.

I took it in under factory warranty and asked that the seal be replaced as well as the fluid inspected and refilled as necessary. I was told this was done and I have verified while doing my oil changes that indeed the axle seal was no longer leaking.

Well, 6k miles later after this dealership "repair" I began hearing a whining noise up front during deceleration and this compounds another issue I've been chasing with a very mild/minor vibration/drone around 60mph. I had written off any problems with the front differential considering my invoice states it was in good health.

Not the case, what drained from that diff looked like anti-seize! New front differential going in and this could have ALL been avoided if WHOEVER *ahem local dealerships* were properly inspecting the car as I did when THEY were changing oil.

All this said, if i didn't have a warranty i'd be out several thousand dollars... in hindsight I should have verified the fluid once they replaced the seal, but can you really have this little trust for a dealership? Moving on...
-2008 e90 335xi, 6AT
-2008 Corvette coupe MN6
-2012 Cruze LTZ 6AT, gf's rig
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 Deep Green 335xi 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
I just changed my front dif gear oil. It's always made the deceleration whine, new and old oil.

E90|335xi|6MT|Deep Green|JB4(pump flash 6/6/15)|VMR v810|255/35 225/40 PSS
|VRSF Chargepipe|Tial BOV|
Appreciate 0