E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > does the 335Xi have the option to be RWD like an STI?

04-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #529
peter91118
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi, '13 Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
well that's quite interesting....
does this drastically improve fuel economy as well? if you have a stick shift you could probably see some very good mpgs
I have a stick and there is no difference in gas mileage. All the same components are still present and spinning with the exception of a 8lbs drive shaft so mileage will not change.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #530
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 LeMans Blue 335xi E90 N55

Amazing, now on page 25 of the thread and no solution (except for pulling fuses or drive shafts). Wouldn't it be nice to push the DTC button and 1st get RWD, 2nd get reduced traction control, then long press traction control off? Why didn't the BMW engineers give us this? Is it possible to put an AUDI Quattro in RWD mode? Many trucks & SUVs can switch between 2WD & 4WD.

I ran across this, and now I'm interested. Following, for what it's worth.
2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel Wires, Wheel Lock Set - Approx E30 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #531
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboudre View Post
Amazing, now on page 25 of the thread and no solution (except for pulling fuses or drive shafts). Wouldn't it be nice to push the DTC button and 1st get RWD, 2nd get reduced traction control, then long press traction control off? Why didn't the BMW engineers give us this? Is it possible to put an AUDI Quattro in RWD mode? Many trucks & SUVs can switch between 2WD & 4WD.

No, it's not possible to put an Audi in RWD mode, so I'm not sure why we're STILL discussing this after 25 pages.

The BMW is not a truck. It's also not a Land Rover. No AWD (not 4WD, but AWD) vehicle out there can switch at will - the most you can do is shift traction like with the DCCD on the STI. So I have no idea why we still keep talking about it, but it's amusing towatch for sure.
      07-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #532
aakrusen
To Punish and Enslave
Rep
Drives: with both hands on the wheel

Garage List
2008 335xi  [4.50]
Quote:
Don't hold your breath.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #533
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
No, it's not possible to put an Audi in RWD mode, so I'm not sure why we're STILL discussing this after 25 pages.
I think we're still discussing it 1) because the thread is so long it gets a lot of hits on a lot of unrelated searches, and 2) it piques our interest as it would be an interesting feature, and there hasn't been a definitive explanation of why it can't be done. Don't be a hater, I followed your link and saw the lengths you went thru to avoid the iDrive.
2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel Wires, Wheel Lock Set - Approx E30 fuel mix
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #534
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
I think we're still discussing it 1) because the thread is so long it gets a lot of hits on a lot of unrelated searches, and 2) it piques our interest as it would be an interesting feature, and there hasn't been a definitive explanation of why it can't be done. Don't be a hater, I followed your link and saw the lengths you went thru to avoid the iDrive.
Hahaha, point well taken.
      07-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #535
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Now that tuning is slowly being unlocked in flash form, its a matter of time till the Xdrive maps are uncovered. Then it will be up to us to decide power. My I would setup a 30/70 front/rear split for anything under 60mph, from there it would be 100% RWD
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #536
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamS View Post
Now that tuning is slowly being unlocked in flash form, its a matter of time till the Xdrive maps are uncovered. Then it will be up to us to decide power. My I would setup a 30/70 front/rear split for anything under 60mph, from there it would be 100% RWD
Unfortunately I don't see this happening. Engine tuning for N54/55 has been unlocked for a long time. AT (transmission) nada and maybe never. Quite few have tried and many folks want better AT software, still nada except for Alpina flash and they got special dispensation from the Pope. Strong encryption.

Xdrive quite a bit more limited performance market and since it is wrapped into ABS, DTC, and DSC etc will be hell of a lot harder. Tranny TCU is basically stand-alone and still a bear. I think the only thing that might happen with the T case is someone figures a clever way to spoof it. Getting the software unlocked probably pipe dream. Getting harder and harder to do this, new M3/4 for example I rememebr reading is going to be very hard to crack flash tune wise, piggy backs already making progress. Maybe a piggy back for the xdrive TC is what we need.

Anyone has friends at NSA with some time on their hands, pipe up.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #537
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
While it would be cool to be able to go rwd on a whim the system as it stands is not so bad. It is a rear drive biased system with a max 50:50 power dustribution. It is simple and fairly easy to work on and maintain when compared to more complex center diff systems.

The only real interest I have in disengaging the system would be the fuel economy benefits during the summer months but this could only be achieved thru locking/unlocking hubs (like 4x4 trucks) and would require a major hub/axle redesign.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 02:47 AM   #538
Windycitybimmers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw e60 525i

Does anyone know what fuse it would be on a 2006 330xi E90 im dying to do this!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #539
peter91118
Private
Rep

I have been getting a lot of PM's from people asking if my car is still fine with no front drive shaft. Ive done approximately 6k miles and still have no issues to report.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #540
stashtrey
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Sedan Titanium Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter91118 View Post
I have been getting a lot of PM's from people asking if my car is still fine with no front drive shaft. Ive done approximately 6k miles and still have no issues to report.
That is nuts. So do you feel like you're losing any power? I'm very curious about this.

Also..how difficult is it to remove the shaft?

Thanks for the update. Given mg situation with some annoying noise from my front end (not bearings...already replaced) this seems like a great way to isolate the noise and perhaps just leave it off. I don't need awd. I live in Sacramento lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #541
v1nc86
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
I don't need awd. I live in Sacramento lol.
so why did you buy a x-drive?
2008 Jet Black E90 335xi | Sport Package | 6AT / Alpina B3 TCU Flash | JB4 G5 / BMS Speed Delimiter | BMS DCI | CP-E Charge Pipe | VRSF 5" Intercooler | BMW Performance Exhaust | VMR V718 / Kumho | Bilstein Sport / Eibach Pro-Kit | Best 1/4: 12.6@109 | YouTube
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #542
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1nc86 View Post
Don't know about Mr. Sacramento, but an xDrive was purchased in Pennsylvania, owner moved to Florida, and it ended up in Louisiana where I got a great deal. Wasn't too excited about the AWD until it rained for 2 weeks straight and I learned I could take off on wet road as well as dry pavement.

Here's some enlightenment from wiki:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_xDrive

It's all in the program and definitely possible. Is very intertwined with DSC.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:45 AM   #543
stashtrey
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I live 1.5 hours from Tahoe. I like awd most of the time but after 20k miles I'm interested in a change.

Why do you care?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #544
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So from what I read on Wiki, it would seem that within 1/10 second, your ECU/TCU (not sure which) determines that there is no load on the front wheels, and transfers 100% load to the rear.

One other method would be to intercept the signal from the ECU/TCU to the servo that distributes the load. Has anyone tried this? It may mess with the traction control, but if you haven't had any problems with traction control disconnecting drive shafts... ???
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #545
peter91118
Private
Rep

Quote:
So from what I read on Wiki, it would seem that within 1/10 second, your ECU/TCU (not sure which) determines that there is no load on the front wheels, and transfers 100% load to the rear.

One other method would be to intercept the signal from the ECU/TCU to the servo that distributes the load. Has anyone tried this? It may mess with the traction control, but if you haven't had any problems with traction control disconnecting drive shafts... ???
Traction control is still not happy after excessive wheel spin. You can get a way with a little though. As others have said, everything is too interconnected. Software is the only safe way to do this.

As for not safe ways, i wonder if you pulled the front driveshaft as well as unplug all 4 abs sensors from the wheels would do the trick? This is assuming the ecu has no other way to tell about wheel speed other than the abs sensors.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #546
peter91118
Private
Rep

Quote:
Traction control is still not happy after excessive wheel spin. You can get a way with a little though. As others have said, everything is too interconnected. Software is the only safe way to do this.

As for not safe ways, i wonder if you pulled the front driveshaft as well as unplug all 4 abs sensors from the wheels would do the trick? This is assuming the ecu has no other way to tell about wheel speed other than the abs sensors.
This is probably a terrible idea by the way..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #547
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This reminds me of going into Radio Shack and asking for, uh, I dunno, maybe a 24 VDC power supply. They don't have it, should be end of story, but then they ask, "So, what do you want to do with it?" Why do you care? I want the power supply and you don't have it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #548
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep

I was talking to someone over here and came up with a brilliant idea! For those who want RWD to be able to dyno on a single dyno, all you should have to do is get the front wheels off the ground and the power should be fully transferred to the rear, and voila! Admittedly, I've never put my car on a dyno, so... would this be dangerous? Could it be done safely?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #549
v1nc86
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
This reminds me of going into Radio Shack and asking for, uh, I dunno, maybe a 24 VDC power supply. They don't have it, should be end of story, but then they ask, "So, what do you want to do with it?" Why do you care? I want the power supply and you don't have it.
I asked because I don't see why an awd car can help you in South Cal. I do have an x-drive, but I live in Montreal where summer gets hot 30+ Celsius (90+ F) but we also have a long 6 months winter where we get -30 Celsius (-22 F) so any awd car is very useful. With that said, you can buy whatever you want...
2008 Jet Black E90 335xi | Sport Package | 6AT / Alpina B3 TCU Flash | JB4 G5 / BMS Speed Delimiter | BMS DCI | CP-E Charge Pipe | VRSF 5" Intercooler | BMW Performance Exhaust | VMR V718 / Kumho | Bilstein Sport / Eibach Pro-Kit | Best 1/4: 12.6@109 | YouTube
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:57 AM   #550
stashtrey
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I asked because I don't see why an awd car can help you in South Cal. I do have an x-drive, but I live in Montreal where summer gets hot 30+ Celsius (90+ F) but we also have a long 6 months winter where we get -30 Celsius (-22 F) so any awd car is very useful. With that said, you can buy whatever you want...
I live in northern CA not southern. I am less than 2 hours from Tahoe and the Sierras. But yeah.. we can all buy what we like.

Also... I like to tinker. Most in here do.

And...acceleration in an xi is amazing and fun. Why not, as many have mentioned in this thread, explore the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0