E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > does the 335Xi have the option to be RWD like an STI?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #133
4.8 E70
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '12 X6 / '13 335 EBII/CR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yonkers, NY

Posts: 304
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
^ Yea, clearing codes isn't my concern. It's people flipping the switch when the car is running, possibly damaging the diff/xDrive system.
Yeah, thats no biggie.... As long as the driver turns the car off, hits the switch and turns the car back on. Should take no more than 30 seconds.
4.8 E70 is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2010, 02:14 AM   #134
mmmcakes
Private First Class
 
Drives: 07 e90 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield, MO

Posts: 105
iTrader: (0)

subscribing. also it might be a good idea to post this on n54tech or in a separate sub-forum to catch the attention of all the interested xdrive owners, as not many make it all the way to the xdrive forum.
mmmcakes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #135
besfort
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 330XI
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

If you pull the fuse for say a nice couple rounds of RWD fun and put it back in does everything go back to how it use to be like the dash not looking like a Christmas tree and speedo working again fully?
besfort is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #136
issabmw
cool beans
 
Drives: E30|E90|Godzilla
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State

Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
I'm curious - since "normally" the car doesn't put more than 60% torque to the back wheels, is it possible that when you do the fuse trick, it doesn't send 100% of the power to the back? Just wondering - clearly I don't know anything about it.
I thought so too until I took it out for a spin. The powers there all right.

The engine keeps the same power flowing, with the diffs and clutches taking care of distribution. With an interfering module (that would normally send the power to the front) disabled, the power has to go to the rear, as the front driveshaft is connected to the rest of the system, not the system connected to the front driveshaft.
issabmw is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #137
issabmw
cool beans
 
Drives: E30|E90|Godzilla
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State

Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
Does the odometer work? i did this to my cayenne and the odometer stopped lol
also made a switch for the cayenne
Odo stops working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by besfort View Post
If you pull the fuse for say a nice couple rounds of RWD fun and put it back in does everything go back to how it use to be like the dash not looking like a Christmas tree and speedo working again fully?
Everything normal. You may have a check engine light for the first few starts, but will eventually go away.

Keep in mind, the faults get logged.
issabmw is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2010, 12:23 AM   #138
Mthusiast
///MTHUSIAST
 
Mthusiast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indianapolis

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
Does the odometer work? i did this to my cayenne and the odometer stopped lol
also made a switch for the cayenne
Odo stops working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by besfort View Post
If you pull the fuse for say a nice couple rounds of RWD fun and put it back in does everything go back to how it use to be like the dash not looking like a Christmas tree and speedo working again fully?
Everything normal. You may have a check engine light for the first few starts, but will eventually go away.

Keep in mind, the faults get logged.
Are the faults anything to be concerned with service saying anything?
Mthusiast is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #139
TheRox
Colonel
 
TheRox's Avatar
 
Drives: 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here and there

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthusiast View Post
Are the faults anything to be concerned with service saying anything?
Yea who cares, tell them the fuse keeps going out and you keep replacing it

Just be like it has someting to do with the circuit.
TheRox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #140
issabmw
cool beans
 
Drives: E30|E90|Godzilla
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State

Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Yea who cares, tell them the fuse keeps going out and you keep replacing it

Just be like it has someting to do with the circuit.
This. Or...

Act like you dont know what an engine is and they wont suspect a thing.
issabmw is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #141
issabmw
cool beans
 
Drives: E30|E90|Godzilla
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State

Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthusiast View Post
Are the faults anything to be concerned with service saying anything?
I'll check with the OBD tool and post what it says
issabmw is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #142
sk8board511
Captain
 
sk8board511's Avatar
 
Drives: 07-E90/99' Cherokee Beater
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: So. Me.

Posts: 684
iTrader: (0)

im still kind of hesitant on this mostly because you guys are all 335s and i'm a lonely 328 but id love to have this work for me too. any light on if the fuses are the same for both??
__________________
KING"ish" OF Changed for collins
Musilli Performance
AT HOME SERVICE-PM for Details
Street, Track, Drag Bike builds
Installations, Maintenance, Detailing
sk8board511 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #143
fdriller9
Banned
 
Drives: '06 AW 330xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Jersey/Philly/NYC

Posts: 7,090
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board511 View Post
im still kind of hesitant on this mostly because you guys are all 335s and i'm a lonely 328 but id love to have this work for me too. any light on if the fuses are the same for both??
I did it on my 330 and I believe the person who found the fuse for us N52s, had a 328.

Fuse #20 on N52s, 26 on N54s
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #144
sk8board511
Captain
 
sk8board511's Avatar
 
Drives: 07-E90/99' Cherokee Beater
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: So. Me.

Posts: 684
iTrader: (0)

thanks im going to try it tomorrow well today...
__________________
KING"ish" OF Changed for collins
Musilli Performance
AT HOME SERVICE-PM for Details
Street, Track, Drag Bike builds
Installations, Maintenance, Detailing
sk8board511 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #145
Mthusiast
///MTHUSIAST
 
Mthusiast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indianapolis

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board511 View Post
im still kind of hesitant on this mostly because you guys are all 335s and i'm a lonely 328 but id love to have this work for me too. any light on if the fuses are the same for both??
I did it on my 2008 328xi coupe AT.. It's been snowing lately and let me just say, awesome.. Pull fuse 26 behind the glove box(5amp) and ur good to go. Mileage does not get logged, wipers are going and everything goes back to normal after a few starts and miles... Have fun!
Mthusiast is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #146
Duncanp64
Private First Class
 
Drives: four wheels ... i think
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Japan

Posts: 122
iTrader: (0)

I haven't read through this whole thread, but on BMW's website they state the following that X-Drive can switch 100% to any axle

"The BMW all-wheel drive system, xDrive, ensures your BMW has the best possible traction at all times, enhancing agility and keeping you safely on track, even on fast bends.

xDrive is the permanent all-wheel drive system from BMW: under normal circumstances, it distributes driver power between the front and rear axles in a 40:60 ratio, and changes this figure variably when the road surface or overall driving conditions change.
Acting virtually instantaneously and a manner so subtle as to be go virtually unnoticed by the vehicle's occupants, xDrive can direct up to 100% of drive forces to one axle. Enabling the driver to start up effortlessly even on slippery surfaces or steep hills, xDrive routes all power to the axles with the greatest traction. When parking, the system reacts to the need for high manoeuvrability at low speed by opening the clutch completely so the powertrain functions optimally.
At the first sign of understeering, drive power to the front axle is reduced. If oversteering is detected, xDrive directs more power to the front axle. Thanks to this dynamic redistribution of power, vehicle stability returns to normal even before the driver notices anything amiss.
Driving on a winding road or taking a fast bend in dynamic style is particularly enjoyable with xDrive: you feel as if your BMW is being guided along the curve. xDrive ensures that none of drive power is wasted on a loss of traction: every kilowatt of power is effectively brought to bear on the road.
xDrive is regulated by Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and uses information from the latter system’s sensors to monitor road conditions. In addition, brake force courtesy of DSC is used when there is traction difference between the two sides of the vehicle and wheel spin is likely."
Duncanp64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #147
issabmw
cool beans
 
Drives: E30|E90|Godzilla
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State

Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanp64 View Post
I haven't read through this whole thread, but on BMW's website they state the following that X-Drive can switch 100% to any axle

"The BMW all-wheel drive system, xDrive, ensures your BMW has the best possible traction at all times, enhancing agility and keeping you safely on track, even on fast bends.

xDrive is the permanent all-wheel drive system from BMW: under normal circumstances, it distributes driver power between the front and rear axles in a 40:60 ratio, and changes this figure variably when the road surface or overall driving conditions change.
Acting virtually instantaneously and a manner so subtle as to be go virtually unnoticed by the vehicle's occupants, xDrive can direct up to 100% of drive forces to one axle. Enabling the driver to start up effortlessly even on slippery surfaces or steep hills, xDrive routes all power to the axles with the greatest traction. When parking, the system reacts to the need for high manoeuvrability at low speed by opening the clutch completely so the powertrain functions optimally.
At the first sign of understeering, drive power to the front axle is reduced. If oversteering is detected, xDrive directs more power to the front axle. Thanks to this dynamic redistribution of power, vehicle stability returns to normal even before the driver notices anything amiss.
Driving on a winding road or taking a fast bend in dynamic style is particularly enjoyable with xDrive: you feel as if your BMW is being guided along the curve. xDrive ensures that none of drive power is wasted on a loss of traction: every kilowatt of power is effectively brought to bear on the road.
xDrive is regulated by Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and uses information from the latter systemís sensors to monitor road conditions. In addition, brake force courtesy of DSC is used when there is traction difference between the two sides of the vehicle and wheel spin is likely."
Good find

Very useful info, and by the looks of it, its correct.
issabmw is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #148
issabmw
cool beans
 
Drives: E30|E90|Godzilla
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State

Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board511 View Post
im still kind of hesitant on this mostly because you guys are all 335s and i'm a lonely 328 but id love to have this work for me too. any light on if the fuses are the same for both??
It was tested on the N52 first, read first pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I did it on my 330 and I believe the person who found the fuse for us N52s, had a 328.

Fuse #20 on N52s, 26 on N54s
this
issabmw is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #149
TheRox
Colonel
 
TheRox's Avatar
 
Drives: 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here and there

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (2)

bump, any word on how to handle the wipers?
TheRox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #150
Fun Drive
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: california

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

how much more weight is in the 335ix vs 3351
Fun Drive is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #151
Kalud
Lieutenant
 
Kalud's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada

Posts: 582
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
how much more weight is in the 335ix vs 335i
Weights (2011):

e92 335i: 3560 lbs. Distribution 51.2/48.9 % (front/rear MT)
e92 335is: 3571 lbs. Distribution 50.9/49.1 % (front/rear MT)
e92 335i xdrive: 3582 lbs. Distribution 52.2/47.8 (front/rear MT)

So the xdrive version is 22 lbs heavier than the rwd version (335i). Interestingly the 335is is exactly in between at 11 lbs heavier that the 335i.

I don't want to start any war here, but to me its negligible...How about a 182 lbs driver in a 335i versus to a 160 lbs driver in a 335xi... In fact it would also influence the weight distribution to the point of probably being exactly the same for both cars...
Kalud is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #152
4.8 E70
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '12 X6 / '13 335 EBII/CR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yonkers, NY

Posts: 304
iTrader: (1)

I'm loving the look of this thus far.
4.8 E70 is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #153
Nikolas
Colonel
 
Drives: 996 TT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sierra Mountains

Posts: 2,068
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalud View Post
Weights (2011):

e92 335i: 3560 lbs. Distribution 51.2/48.9 % (front/rear MT)
e92 335is: 3571 lbs. Distribution 50.9/49.1 % (front/rear MT)
e92 335i xdrive: 3582 lbs. Distribution 52.2/47.8 (front/rear MT)

So the xdrive version is 22 lbs heavier than the rwd version (335i). Interestingly the 335is is exactly in between at 11 lbs heavier that the 335i.

I don't want to start any war here, but to me its negligible...How about a 182 lbs driver in a 335i versus to a 160 lbs driver in a 335xi... In fact it would also influence the weight distribution to the point of probably being exactly the same for both cars...
Actually that is an error on the BMW site. The weight difference is a lot more. Check out the difference in weight between the sedan versions and you will see it is closer to a 200 lbs difference that the Xi drive train adds to a car.
Nikolas is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #154
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
 
bluefly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada

Posts: 207
iTrader: (0)

Curb weight delta ~200lb.

Nikolas has it right... Delta is significant and quite noticeable to the enthusiast driver in back-to-back drives from a braking and cornering perspective. No e9x variant is what i would call "lightweight", of course... it's all relative...
bluefly is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST