E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car under 48mo/50k warranty - battery NOT covered????

10-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 328i

Car under 48mo/50k warranty - battery NOT covered????

I have an 08 328i sedan (36 months in service) with 44.7K miles. My front door locks malfunctioned followed a few hours later by my batter dying. I assume that the lock malfunction was enough to kill my weak battery.
I took my car into BMW today, assuming all's good; the battery's covered under warranty/maintenance program. The SA told me that the battery's not covered. What??

Here's what I've got from my warranty book:
Coverage
The BMW Maintenance Program covers all factory recommended maintenance, as determined by the Condition Based Service (CBS) system.
Additional items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty -
such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blades inserts - are included, provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits. Any adjustments
required due to normal operating conditions are also included. See pages 7-8 of this booklet for additional information.
Exclusions from coverage include the following:
 Items reimbursable under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty
 Gasoline
 Windshield washer additive (except when in conjunction with scheduled maintenance)
 Tires, wheel alignment, tire balance and rotation
 Wear and tear of soft trim items, such as: seats, carpets, moldings, headliner, door panels and all chrome trim
 Damage detected when performing the rust perforation inspection
 Damage which results from negligence, improper operation of the vehicle, wear and tear or deterioration due to driving habits or conditions, improper repair, environmental influences, flood, accident or fire damage,
road salt corrosion, alteration, installation of non-genuine BMW accessories, or use of improper, poor quality or contaminated fuel
 Altered or unreadable Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or odometer irregularities or vehicles where the true mileage cannot be determined
 Maintenance or repair after the vehicle is deemed a total loss
 Maintenance or repairs performed by other than an Authorized BMW center within the United States or Puerto Rico
 Vehicles used in competitive events
 Oil changes performed outside the recommended maintenance intervals as indicated by the Service Interval Display

Link: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...antyBooks.aspx
Reference above is from page 2.

I naturally assumed that the battery was covered under the 48mo/50K mi warranty or under the 48mo/50K mi BMW Maintenance Program. Batteries are not stated as excluded items in the manual.

I was charged $384 for the battery. In the SA's defense, it was a Saturday and she's a new SA. I want to make sure that the SA made an error before I proceed.
... I've only had the car a couple of months, but I haven't done a bunch of trips less than 10 miles; it's had a lot of highway time (as referenced on page 17 of the Service and Warranty book).

I did a search and based on posts I read, I'm under the impression that the battery is covered under the original bumper to bumper warranty. My apologies if I've posted this in the wrong area.
      10-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
chowser51
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive

The BMW Maintenance Program covers all factory recommended maintenance, as determined by the Condition Based Service (CBS) system.

that's where they will say the battery is not covered. my brother spent about $400 at the dealer replacing his 2006 battery. So that seems like the right price.

My battery is old but hasn't needed replacement yet. I will just have to remember to set aside $400 for a new battery which I am sure is going to happen to me this winter.
chowser51 is offline   United_States
      10-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant

Chowser, thanks much for the explanation.
If this is true, this will be my first AND last BMW. My wife's Acura TL battery failed while under bumper to bumper and it was replaced for free. My wife was considering getting a BMW, but after today, she'll probably stick with an Acura for her next car.

I can see the weaselitude involved in 'batteries aren't covered,' but they specifically exclude tires and wear & tear of soft trim items.
The maintenance warranty also states, "Additional items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty - such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blades inserts - are included, provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits."
If BMW wasn't going to include the battery, they should have specifically excluded it along with tires and soft items.

I can afford the $384 charge (waaay too high; double what it should be) for the battery. That's not the point. It's not proper business practice.

This will be strike two for BMW in my book. Strike one was the fact that the car is very 'weekend mechanic' unfriendly ... the lack of a dipstick is truly bizarre in my book (total reliance on electronic sensors without any backup is not smart engineering).
If I wanted a car where I was going to spend big dollars on parts and maintenance, I'd just buy another Porsche.
      10-24-2010, 03:56 AM   #4
chowser51
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive

The battery probably costs like $150, but the "registering" it costs $$$.
I am going to check some indy BMW places in my area to see what they charge to replace and register a new battery.

some people have just replaced the battery themselves and haven't reported any problems yet, but then again, it's only their second one and it hasn't been four years yet.

I bought my car at 26k miles last February and just broke 52k last month and it needed a rear brake job, so that was covered for free. i asked them to check the battery at that time and they said it checked ok, so i'm hoping to get another year out of it.

my last three cars my batteries seemed to only last four years.
chowser51 is offline   United_States
      10-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

I think I'd go back and argue that the battery should be covered. They don't list it as an exclusion like you point out. I'd make a scene at the dealer until they cover it, especially since I really think it <should> be covered.
Brian_TII is offline   United_States
      10-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

What you do is leave your car with the dealership until the battery is covered, and enjoy the loaner. You'd be surprised how that $12/hr. SA suddenly gets his warranty guy to approve the battery.
      10-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
ChasVS
Colonel

Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

While you're at it, get them to cover the tires as well. Why should we have to pay for them too? They should last longer and shouldn't cost as much as they do!
ChasVS is offline   United_States
      10-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
Express
Major General

Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
my battery was covered under warranty.
Express is offline   Israel
      10-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.

Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
I see no reason why the battery shouldn't be covered.
      10-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
As it should be. In my experience, finally, you have mostly bad dealerships, and you have some good. My purchasing dealership told me the car not starting on the first try is normal, and that the CA fob has two batteries, so you have to drive with the CA fob in the dash. Then there were people here on the forum who stated they have CA and have NEVER put the fob into the dash except when going in for service.

The 2nd dealership said whoa, those are loads of cr** and they fixed everything. Even replaced the side mirror motor because it wasn't going back in to place from memory, which my purchasing dealership also said was normal.

Based on some of the jack**** on this forum, everything is not covered under a full factory warranty. I think they just like to play devil's advocate but faced with the same defects would insist that the dealership fix them under warranty.
      10-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant

Thanks for all of the inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
What you do is leave your car with the dealership until the battery is covered, and enjoy the loaner. You'd be surprised how that $12/hr. SA suddenly gets his warranty guy to approve the battery.
I already returned the loaner and paid the bill so that's not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
While you're at it, get them to cover the tires as well. Why should we have to pay for them too? They should last longer and shouldn't cost as much as they do!
Because tires are specifically excluded from the warranty and maintenance. The battery is not excluded.
I'm not happy with Run Flats either so I replaced them with a set of performance tires.

Quote:
Thanks; that tells me that denial of battery is not uniform among dealers. I was fully expecting the battery to be covered under warranty due to our experience with Acura covering the battery.

At this point, would it be better to call BMWNA prior to reengaging my dealership on this matter?
      10-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
cb1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
At this point, would it be better to call BMWNA prior to reengaging my dealership on this matter?
I'd talk to the Service Manager first. If you get no joy THEN I'd call BMWNA
      10-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
Coolieman1220
Banned

Drives: 2010 335d

question, new car warranty is from date or purchase but CPO is from build date, correct?
Coolieman1220 is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
      10-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
I'd talk to the Service Manager first. If you get no joy THEN I'd call BMWNA
Thanks; I wanted to make sure that I was following the correct 'chain of command'.
I'm still a bit confused as to why the local BMW dealer wouldn't cover this, as they should be able to bill BMWNA for the battery.

I'm tempted to first ask if the battery for my Comfort Access remote is covered under the 48mo/50K mile warranty. After that's been affirmed, I'll proceed to tell him that I was incorrectly billed for the car battery. Any better recommendations?

I want to handle this as diplomatically as possible; it's not worth it to me to spend a lot of time trying to get BMW to cover what is implied in their Ultimate Service program. I just consider it to be in poor form to offer a cost-free maintenance program and then charge for the battery. Since I've already seen from my wife's experience that Acura stands behind their warranty (they replaced her battery), I would expect no less from BMW.
      10-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Asiann
Got Seoul?

Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
I paid about that much but it should be covered. Good Luck!
      10-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #16
cb1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
Thanks; I wanted to make sure that I was following the correct 'chain of command'.
I'm still a bit confused as to why the local BMW dealer wouldn't cover this, as they should be able to bill BMWNA for the battery.

I'm tempted to first ask if the battery for my Comfort Access remote is covered under the 48mo/50K mile warranty. After that's been affirmed, I'll proceed to tell him that I was incorrectly billed for the car battery. Any better recommendations?

I want to handle this as diplomatically as possible; it's not worth it to me to spend a lot of time trying to get BMW to cover what is implied in their Ultimate Service program. I just consider it to be in poor form to offer a cost-free maintenance program and then charge for the battery. Since I've already seen from my wife's experience that Acura stands behind their warranty (they replaced her battery), I would expect no less from BMW.
Oh, it isn't covered under the maintenance program but it is covered under the 4/50 warranty.

I believe that BMW intentionally makes the distinction confusing.
      10-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
P2
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 325i Silver/Black

My battery came up bad when the dealer checked it just before the end of my warranty. It was replaced for free.
      10-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #18
stimpy
Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

hold up - why are the batteries so damn expensive? We can't just go to Auto Zone or some crap and get a new one? lol
      10-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
Tom K.
Major General

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
hold up - why are the batteries so damn expensive? We can't just go to Auto Zone or some crap and get a new one? lol
See Chowser's 2nd post.

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
      10-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #20
Chriztofor
Colonel

Drives: '06 325i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
Actually tires are under warranty. Warranty booklet "Tires are warranted by their respective manufacturer as detailed in the applicable tire manufacturers
warranty statements."

Batteries are definitely covered. Not a maintenance item, not excluded in their booklet, and it is a defect within 4 years/50,000 miles.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
      10-25-2010, 01:37 AM   #21
stimpy
Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
See Chowser's 2nd post.

Tom
Ok so what does it mean to 'register' the battery?
      10-25-2010, 01:38 AM   #22
jayy178
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe / 2014 535i

Send a message via AIM to jayy178
are batteries covered through CPO warranty as well?