E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Out of control brake dust.....

11-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #23
Tuff Gong
Registered
British Virgin Islands
Rep

Drives: 2008 Jet Black 335i 6MT

Have Cool Carbons on my 08 335 and the reduction in brake dust has been amazing. Braking performance has been very good as well. I was getting a bit of a squeel at lower speeds with the OEM brake pads that has disappeared totally since installing the Cool Carbons. Recommended Highly.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #24
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I already asked my stealership about different pads after the 1st week of owning the car - the BMW pads are by far the WORST pads I have EVER used for dusting. They told me they got nuttin, no optional performance pads - no nuttin.

When I asked about putting on different pads - they stated they would not install different pads other than stock during warranty. If I wanted to put my own pads on - that was my business. But when it came time to replace under the warranty - they would take them off and replace with the stock pads again.

Also told me that if 'my' pads eat the rotors - they would not be covered under the warranty. Typical BMW service...
Obviously if you replace your pads with another company, they probably wont like it, but they cannot void a warranty because of it. It is stated under the Warranty act that yes, if your aftermarket part destroyed another part of the car, it can void the warranty, but only for that specific part.

So if you're really concerned then I would replace the Cool Carbon pads before going back to the dealership, or, as you mentioned, if they're just going to replace the Cool Carbons with OE pads, then go ahead, I mean they're free pads
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #25
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I already asked my stealership about different pads after the 1st week of owning the car - the BMW pads are by far the WORST pads I have EVER used for dusting. They told me they got nuttin, no optional performance pads - no nuttin.

When I asked about putting on different pads - they stated they would not install different pads other than stock during warranty. If I wanted to put my own pads on - that was my business. But when it came time to replace under the warranty - they would take them off and replace with the stock pads again.

Also told me that if 'my' pads eat the rotors - they would not be covered under the warranty. Typical BMW service...
They told me the same BS. I still changed my pads. Once my rotors need replacing, I'll throw in the stock pads prior to service. They'll change my rotors and pads then I'll switch the pads back.

Lame, I know but whatcha gonna do with that funny BMW warranty. Once my 100k free maintenance is done, I'll do whatever the hell I want.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #26
JDMonster
Private
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe

Hawk ceramic pads fixed it for me
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #27
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
If happy with the OEM feel and braking characteristics, but would like something that dusts (quite) a bit less, then pick up the post 09/2009 OEM pads.

has anyone been able to confirm that the pad compound also changed for other models, like the 325/328/330?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #28
hookah66
dirigir é a minha paixão
United_States
Rep

Drives: e93 328c N52 3.0L cabriolet

Garage List
2002 325xi  [0.00]
2009 328i cabriolet  [0.00]
simple solution guys: change to aftermarket brands, i.e. Centric, StopTech, EBC...etc... I just changed my '09 e93 to Centric PosiQuiet semi metallic. I picked semi metallic due to its softness, the ceramic are a tad harsh for oem rotors of my e93 328i. It is OK if you got the performance rotors of 335i series. I did on my rear first (still waiting for the front pads); took me about 1 hr and 15 mins. It was easy and straight forward. I used simple tools. Make sure you immediately "bed in" the new pads whatever the brand or composition to insure positive stopping, quietness and smoothness. Remember your rotors are already coated with oem pad resin? The posiQuiet are SOOOO smooth compared to oem pads, and generates a lot less dust. And no squeaks either. Now my bimmer glides to a velvety stop. It is deliciously smooth and quiet. Here are my photos. (PS: I see absolutely NO difference in the incredible amount of brake dust generated from my '90 325 touring (station wagon) to '02 e46 325xi and now to '09 e93... if anything it is worse than ever may be the thinner wheel spokes makes the dust more noticeable...)
Attached Images

Sou fanático por conversíveis...

Last edited by hookah66; 11-06-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #29
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

^^^^^
Agreed. Guess what? They're good enough for 20 min sessions on a road course too. Wonder how I know
Appreciate 0