E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > All CBS settings reset. Seat/mirror memory lost. Confused.

12-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

All CBS settings reset. Seat/mirror memory lost. Confused.

I just noticed all of my settings were lost in my computer and elsewhere. The service reminder was reset from 6k miles and 5/2015 to 28k miles and 12/2018, the other service counters don't seem to have been reset. The EQ for the radio was all reset to 0 across the board. The seat & mirror memory was lost. All of the lighting settings and directional signal settings were lost as well as door lock settings.

Before anyone immediately says "Battery" (which was/would be my gut instinct too) the battery was replaced by BMW on 4/9/2013 when it failed immediately after battery cable recall work. I was none too pleased by the correlation there. I wouldn't think the battery could be failed again and I've not had any service lights.

These are the two out of the ordinary things that went on today:

- Had my car in for a tire rotation and balance this morning (I don't have runflats so I rotate front to back). They obviously didn't disconnect the battery or anything like that, it was in and out of there in 20 minutes. All my settings were fine on my drive home afterwards.

- Next, my wife (please don't blame her, she's a great driver) drove my car to work today and used the spare key, we have never used this key since getting the car 2/13/2013. I know the keys log data, but could this even possibly cause an issue like this to happen?

Ideas from the hive mind? This is just really strange to randomly have happen.

Last edited by Agentphish; 12-22-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Rikrikrik
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i 2006

Same thing happened to me yesterday when I used my other key
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrikrik View Post
Same thing happened to me yesterday when I used my other key
Ok. So we have that in common, that was my only other semi-legitimate (in my mind) cause. Wow, wtf is that all about I wonder...
      12-22-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish View Post
I just noticed all of my settings were lost in my computer and elsewhere. The service reminder was reset from 6k miles and 5/2015 to 28k miles and 12/2018, the other service counters don't seem to have been reset. The EQ for the radio was all reset to 0 across the board. The seat & mirror memory was lost. All of the lighting settings and directional signal settings were lost as well as door lock settings.

Before anyone immediately says "Battery" (which was/would be my gut instinct too) the battery was replaced by BMW on 4/9/2013 when it failed immediately after battery cable recall work. I was none too pleased by the correlation there. I wouldn't think the battery could be failed again and I've not had any service lights.

These are the two out of the ordinary things that went on today:

- Had my car in for a tire rotation and balance this morning (I don't have runflats so I rotate front to back). They obviously didn't disconnect the battery or anything like that, it was in and out of there in 20 minutes. All my settings were fine on my drive home afterwards.

- Next, my wife (please don't blame her, she's a great driver) drove my car to work today and used the spare key, we have never used this key since getting the car 2/13/2013. I know the keys log data, but could this even possibly cause an issue like this to happen?

Ideas from the hive mind? This is just really strange to randomly have happen.
You probably have comfort access and when you used the key blade to open the car door... It uses a "default" profile instead of the one for the actual key fob. The comfort access keys have a replaceable battery in the key fob. I believe its a CR2025 (please look this up cuz i was too lazy to search) if u look at the bottom of the key (once u remove the blade key) u will see a square-ish like outline... That piece can pop off, its a cover for the battery compartment. NOTE: If you don't have comfort access then none of this is applicable to u since nonCA keys do not have a replaceable battery and ONLY recharge when in the key slot on the car.

Use the key blade tip to gently pry up that square-ish piece by wedging the key sideways in the center of the key where you normally would insert the key to be stored. Be mindful to do this over a large table cuz sometime the battery goes flying out and u will want it to drop someplace easy to locate.

-Faz
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
You probably have comfort access and when you used the key blade to open the car door... It uses a "default" profile instead of the one for the actual key fob. The comfort access keys have a replaceable battery in the key fob. I believe its a CR2025 (please look this up cuz i was too lazy to search) if u look at the bottom of the key (once u remove the blade key) u will see a square-ish like outline... That piece can pop off, its a cover for the battery compartment. NOTE: If you don't have comfort access then none of this is applicable to u since nonCA keys do not have a replaceable battery and ONLY recharge when in the key slot on the car.

Use the key blade tip to gently pry up that square-ish piece by wedging the key sideways in the center of the key where you normally would insert the key to be stored. Be mindful to do this over a large table cuz sometime the battery goes flying out and u will want it to drop someplace easy to locate.

-Faz
Nope. I don't have CA. Even if I did, I wouldn't ever expect it to reset my service reminder in a scenario like choosing a profile. Thus far unsolved mystery. Hopefully someone has an answer.
      12-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish View Post
Nope. I don't have CA. Even if I did, I wouldn't ever expect it to reset my service reminder in a scenario like choosing a profile. Thus far unsolved mystery. Hopefully someone has an answer.
Okay, you make valid points and the key battery is not the issue. I have not heard of anyone else having this problem so i have no clue
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

So it is the use of the secondary key that did this. When I used my primary key everything is back to normal. How f'n strange. I would not expect this.
      12-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
PichaDis11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i

Gonna go grab my secondary and try this tonight...
      12-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Mutagen
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Yeah your settings are memorized in your key. Diff key diff settings. I replaced my key recently and everything was diff. I swapped to my old key and it was back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
Agentphish
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just don't understand why the F it would reset my service counter?!

That's pure nonsense.