E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW Announces Voluntary N54 Engine (HPFP) and X5 Recall



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #397
tofu-
Banned
43
Rep
2,858
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: nyc

iTrader: (4)

my car is an 03/08 build. original pump as far as i know.

got a call saying they replaced one injector, all the seals, new HPFP and update in the CAS module.

not sure why other users are just getting software updates. perhaps they perform a pressure test and their pump passed? but the tsb seems to say they should be replaced either way
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #398
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
turboawdfanatic's Avatar
8
Rep
514
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
my car is an 03/08 build. original pump as far as i know.

got a call saying they replaced one injector, all the seals, new HPFP and update in the CAS module.

not sure why other users are just getting software updates. perhaps they perform a pressure test and their pump passed? but the tsb seems to say they should be replaced either way
thats what i originally thought. but after taking a closer look at the tsb's, the dealer has to scan the key or dcsnet, and if the response doesn't indicate a new hpfp they don't change it. I guess I can ask them to run pressure tests on my original pump and if it fails get it replaced that way. Than you question even more if bmw has really found the problem, or if the recall is just a publicity stunt in response to the publicized problem.

Last edited by turboawdfanatic; 01-04-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #399
bliskey
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Barbera Red 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: philly

iTrader: (0)

recall

Had my 'recall' done yesterday. All they did was update the software. SI 13 09 10. My SA told me that was all my car called for. Also asked about the injector recall Si B 13 14 10 and he said I was not affected. Isn't a recall designed to fix a common problem before it happens?? They know the fuel pumps and injectors are garbage yet, for me, they are still waiting until they fail. Something seem not quite right there??? (original pump, 33k miles, June 07 build.)

Last edited by bliskey; 01-05-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #400
tomchang75
Private
United_States
4
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I can certainly see where the logical argument could be made that higher rpms = increased load on the fuel delivery system, but while I'm not saying these cars are made to beat on, they should certainly be able to handle whatever stop and go / highway driving...and many of them do just fine.


I am sorry. Isnt BMW's slogan the ultimate driving machine and the cars are designed for performance? If they had put the fine print on the contract, " high RPM or press gas pedal to the floor will void the warranty" then I would certainly understand this argument which we all know no manufacture will put this claim in the contract.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #401
BuraQ
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
BuraQ's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
3,205
Posts


 
Drives: 11" E92 335is
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [3.03]
^ So Tru ^

I tell them like it is, I punched it and this and this happened, now please fix it.

Hell I dont water it down. When I leave out the dealer ship I make it known at the stop light if its fixed or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #402
BMWnewb
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: 335i silver sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

hi guys,

i missed this whole talk about the HPFP before i purchased my 2007 335i in August 2010. Silly me for not doing research. Just yesterday i received the recall notice from BMW and have made my service appointment.

It sounds to me like BMW will "check" for possible issues and if there are no problems to begin with, they will not replace anything. Sounds fair. But what happens if i get the failure at a later time? I don't want to be burned with a big repair invoice. I saw some articles that BMW has extended warranty on HPFP up to 10years or 120,000miles but the recall notice does not state any of that.

Autoblog link to BMW class-action lawsuit

What should I do in my current situation? It seems the problem is prevalent so I would like to avoid any issues down the road by getting the dealership to replace the HPFP anyway, even if there is no issue with it. Is that even possible? Sorry for asking such a silly question.

So far, i have not witnessed a noticeable lag or extended crank times. But, as with any BMW owner, I am concerned and I would like to avoid any major bill if at all possible.


Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #403
SCMike
[classified title]
SCMike's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
166
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aiken, SC

iTrader: (0)

As I read the injector recall notice, it only applies to "the N54 engine produced from 04/02/2007 through 10/31/2008". So folks may be having unrealistic expectations on any attention to their injectors. As to all the other variation in stuff done or not done to individual cars, I (and maybe some BMW service departments?) do not have a clue. It's a sad day when you have to bring in your own copy of the TSB.....
__________________

2009 335i Coupe: Crimson Red / Saddle Brown, Step. w/paddles, Sport / Premium / Cold Weather Pkgs, 19" Style 230 Wheels, Active Steering, but no iDrive.
{Gone but not forgotten: 2006 M3 Coupe, Imola Red/Cinnamon, SMG}
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #404
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
vasillalov's Avatar
Bulgaria
84
Rep
4,196
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Ok folks,

I just received my car back from the dealer. Here is my current experience thus far:

* Dealer installed ISTA 2.40.2 - Programmed and encoded complete vehicle as per recall
* Performed vehicle test, checked fault memory, test low pressure sensor
* Replaced HPFP as per recall. Used part number 13-51-7-613-933 This is not the latest!
* Replaced 4 fuel injectors with part number 13-53-7-585-261
* Replaced 4 decoupling elements part number 13-53-7-564-751

* Car drives VERY VERY smooth.
* Car starts up immediately, as it did previously.
* Car idles at 700 rpms! This is not a fluke. This is on a fully warmed up engine after 20 miles of driving.

I suspect they raise the idle to 700 rpms in order to keep the HPFP from starving for fuel. Again, this is just a guess. Previously my car would idle at 550 rpms with fully warmed up engine!

Discuss.
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine | StopTech
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #405
tofu-
Banned
43
Rep
2,858
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: nyc

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Ok folks,

I just received my car back from the dealer. Here is my current experience thus far:

* Dealer installed ISTA 2.40.2 - Programmed and encoded complete vehicle as per recall
* Performed vehicle test, checked fault memory, test low pressure sensor
* Replaced HPFP as per recall. Used part number 13-51-7-613-933 This is not the latest!
* Replaced 4 fuel injectors with part number 13-53-7-585-261
* Replaced 4 decoupling elements part number 13-53-7-564-751

* Car drives VERY VERY smooth.
* Car starts up immediately, as it did previously.
* Car idles at 700 rpms! This is not a fluke. This is on a fully warmed up engine after 20 miles of driving.

I suspect they raise the idle to 700 rpms in order to keep the HPFP from starving for fuel. Again, this is just a guess. Previously my car would idle at 550 rpms with fully warmed up engine!

Discuss.

mine still idles at 600, even after software update + new hpfp
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #406
ssaylor
Desert Rat 1
ssaylor's Avatar
8
Rep
262
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335is - Alpine White/Blk
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Sonoran Desert

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMike View Post
As I read the injector recall notice, it only applies to "the N54 engine produced from 04/02/2007 through 10/31/2008". So folks may be having unrealistic expectations on any attention to their injectors. As to all the other variation in stuff done or not done to individual cars, I (and maybe some BMW service departments?) do not have a clue. It's a sad day when you have to bring in your own copy of the TSB.....
more than that...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=378
__________________
2011 BMW 335is - Alpine White/Black, DSG
1989 BMW 325is - Zinnoberrot/Black
2009 Audi R8 - Ice Silver/Black (gone, but not forgotten)
My BMWCCA Gallery
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #407
SCMike
[classified title]
SCMike's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
166
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aiken, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaylor View Post
Sorry, but no - read the 5th sentence in the injector recall notice. It calls out only that specific date interval. Here's the paste from the recall notice:
"the N54 engine produced from 04/02/2007 through 10/31/2008".
__________________

2009 335i Coupe: Crimson Red / Saddle Brown, Step. w/paddles, Sport / Premium / Cold Weather Pkgs, 19" Style 230 Wheels, Active Steering, but no iDrive.
{Gone but not forgotten: 2006 M3 Coupe, Imola Red/Cinnamon, SMG}
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #408
gizmo335i
Colonel
gizmo335i's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
2,907
Posts

 
Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.73]
What's probably stupid about this is that it's probably not the pumps themselves that are the problem. Something else is causing it and they will continue to fail. And BMW has no idea what that problem is. Why else would there be so many multiple failures on the same car? And this has happened on the 933's.
__________________
JB4 | Vanguard/Quad burnt tips | Linea Corse | Mtech Front/rear | AFE DCI | H&R Sport + Koni yellow | Umnitza Full LED Angels | Akyrm lip/quad diffuser | Alpine CSL CF Trunklid
See Garage for more
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #409
Tag
Colonel
Tag's Avatar
United_States
111
Rep
2,626
Posts

 
Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHICAGO

iTrader: (2)

They need to hire NASA, they should be free since the shuttle's almost decommissioned.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #410
waterp7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
262
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: L.A. , CA

iTrader: (1)

Why are the 07-08 N54 engines only included in the fuel injector recall if all N54s share the same parts? Were there more problems with cars from this production year?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #411
ssaylor
Desert Rat 1
ssaylor's Avatar
8
Rep
262
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335is - Alpine White/Blk
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Sonoran Desert

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMike View Post
Sorry, but no - read the 5th sentence in the injector recall notice. It calls out only that specific date interval. Here's the paste from the recall notice:
"the N54 engine produced from 04/02/2007 through 10/31/2008".
Ah, injectors. Yeah, I missed that.
Bummer, HPFP and injectors....
__________________
2011 BMW 335is - Alpine White/Black, DSG
1989 BMW 325is - Zinnoberrot/Black
2009 Audi R8 - Ice Silver/Black (gone, but not forgotten)
My BMWCCA Gallery
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #412
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
AWD Addict's Avatar
35
Rep
2,483
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
What's probably stupid about this is that it's probably not the pumps themselves that are the problem. Something else is causing it and they will continue to fail. And BMW has no idea what that problem is. Why else would there be so many multiple failures on the same car? And this has happened on the 933's.
Me and my SA have long speculated the pump is the scapegoat for somethign else - known or unknown (but probably unknown) or at the very least, a downstream failure of something else.

People are too high strung about remanned pumps. Tons of automotive parts are remanned. It doesn't mean you're getting a used part, it just means the recycled the parts that don't wear out.

My car idles all over the place. sometimes 550. sometimes 700. sometimes higher. all warm.

I'm on my second fuel pump, I've been flashed six ways to sunday (as if that would fix a fuel pump issue?), and I've had 3 coil packs replaced, and all my plugs. BMW also had my car hooked up to diagnostics for two weeks with Germany, where every day Germany issued a battery of tests, and then the data went back, and then more tests, etc. The last day included an inspection of my valve train, which was completely gummed up like nothing my SA had ever seen. they cleaned it out, and the car ran like brand new (didn't even realize how much power had been left on the table as the gum up happened so slow).

Still screwy/stumbling idle. Long cranks havne't resurfaced yet (last serviced on this crap about 9 months ago), so I may be in the clear. Who knows.

But I'd bet dollars to donuts chasing the HPFP as the culprit is a phantom, or at least a downstream issue of the real problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #413
Tag
Colonel
Tag's Avatar
United_States
111
Rep
2,626
Posts

 
Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHICAGO

iTrader: (2)

So if it's not the HPFP what else could it be? I mean you have the fuel tank, LPFP, fuel lines, HPFP and then the injectors. Coil packs and plugs are part of combustion but not part of the fuel delivery. How can it be so difficult to figure out what it is? Am I missing something? I just don't get it. Some have asked if it has to do with all the heat. Either way BMW's QA sucks, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #414
JasonZX12R
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa,FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgVQ View Post
So I went to the dealer today and sure enough i'm on the list for a new pump and software. I am wondering if I should do it or not. It seems that most failures are within 10k miles or so. (this is just from what i've read anyone have data on it?) I have 49k on my car with no current issues (knock on wood) and am not sure replacing my "good" pump with a potentially faulty pump is a good idea. What do you think?
Mine just broke at 52k miles. Get it done. I put mine off thinking it wouldnt happen and I was "stranded" in limp mode.

Also the dealer had my car 7 days and couldnt figure out how to do the software update.

Edit: There were also 2 other people in the dealership at the same time for HPFP issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #415
325i_racer
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
111
Posts

 
Drives: 09 BMW 335i Black Saphire
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

I have 09 335i got about 5k miles, have not had any problems but i stopped by at the dealership to ask a SA if there's any recall for my car. He scanned my VIN and told me there's software update but nothing else. I asked him how about HPFP, injectors, etc, he said nop......so i guess i'll see what happen...i've been hearing from alot of people where they lost hp after the new update....hopefully not...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #416
jimk
Captain
jimk's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
735
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 M/T
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325i_racer View Post
I have 09 335i got about 5k miles, have not had any problems but i stopped by at the dealership to ask a SA if there's any recall for my car. He scanned my VIN and told me there's software update but nothing else. I asked him how about HPFP, injectors, etc, he said nop......so i guess i'll see what happen...i've been hearing from alot of people where they lost hp after the new update....hopefully not...
I had my HPFP replaced this week due to the recall on my 2009 335i.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #417
gizmo335i
Colonel
gizmo335i's Avatar
United_States
53
Rep
2,907
Posts

 
Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.73]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
I had my HPFP replaced this week due to the recall on my 2009 335i.
Unbelievable that one dealer would do your's but another says different...that would definately be my luck.

As far as the core problem not being the HPFP, who knows what it is. But when you keep getting pump failures over and over on the same car, shouldn't that dictate that something else is causing it to fail? And if the answer is no, then that's almost more scary. Cause that means that they can't design/redisign/manufacture/re-man a damn HPFP right.

I just can't believe that it would cost more money for them to take an N54 motor and figure out what the problem is once and for all instead of all these replacements.
__________________
JB4 | Vanguard/Quad burnt tips | Linea Corse | Mtech Front/rear | AFE DCI | H&R Sport + Koni yellow | Umnitza Full LED Angels | Akyrm lip/quad diffuser | Alpine CSL CF Trunklid
See Garage for more
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #418
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
DASHOCKER's Avatar
Germany
34
Rep
1,867
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to DASHOCKER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
Unbelievable that one dealer would do your's but another says different...that would definately be my luck.

As far as the core problem not being the HPFP, who knows what it is. But when you keep getting pump failures over and over on the same car, shouldn't that dictate that something else is causing it to fail? And if the answer is no, then that's almost more scary. Cause that means that they can't design/redisign/manufacture/re-man a damn HPFP right.

I just can't believe that it would cost more money for them to take an N54 motor and figure out what the problem is once and for all instead of all these replacements.
BMW should just run the motor on an engine dyno non stop until the hpfp fails. Afterwards, tear down the internals and examine the parts.
__________________
2007 335 coupe Alpine white, steptronic, sportpack, etc. (gone)
2006 X3 3.0 steptronic Titanium Silver, 2009 E92 335xdrive, next.... Caddy CTS_V! 13 Lincoln MKZ? hmmm.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST