E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Elbow Grease & _______ Leather Cleaner?

10-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
e92LuNaTiC
Major

Drives: Monaco Blue e92

Elbow Grease & _______ Leather Cleaner?

Well guys...from your experiences, can you please fill in the blank? I have a cream beige interior that's starting to look a bit dirty. Seems like theres a hint of blue on the driver seat (guessing from my jeans?), and the creases are a little dark too. I need ! I want that rich bright cream beige interior I had back! Love the leather smell too, so if there are any leather conditioners out there or anything that may restore the scent back is much appreciated. Thanks in advance fellas!
e92LuNaTiC is offline   Mexico
      10-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Krells
Private First Class

Drives: 07 335i

The best cleaner that I have used was Leatherique. For quick touch ups and to add that leather smell I use Zaino leather in a bottle.
      10-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
e92LuNaTiC
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krells View Post
The best cleaner that I have used was Leatherique. For quick touch ups and to add that leather smell I use Zaino leather in a bottle.
Can these items be bought at your local automotive store? Or are these a bit more exclusive?
      10-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
MuttGrunt
Banned

Drives: beater;)

Leatherique works wonders - especially on light colored interiors. My other favorite brand is Leather Master
MuttGrunt is offline   United_States
      10-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
dday
Captain

Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

I use the leathermaster kit and have been impressed by it (sorry don't have pics)

http://www.detailersdomain.com/leath...nandvital.aspx
      10-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
e92LuNaTiC
Major

So overall Leatherique is probably my best bet ay? Can this be purchased at a local Automotive shop? Or am I going to have to sit 5-7 days to receive it by mail LoL! I'm on SoCal near in Long Beach if anyone know's of a place or someone that sells this product. Hoping someone will and come foward
      10-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Bobble
Major

Drives: E90 335i/RIP E46 323Ci

Leatherique works great. Just did my 10 year E46 with it, great results. Do need to incubate it so plan on not using the car for the day. I also use PB Leather Stuff as a monthly maintenance product, conditions well but not a really heavy duty cleaner. You can buy Leatherique on Amazon.com, PB products I've only seen online.
Another option, never used it so no testimonial, is Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner. They are in Inglewatts, no offense to anyone, so that's close to LBC where you could buy that and try it. I assume it's a lot like PB Leather Stuff as it looks the same etc..
The Leatherique twins in 16oz size kit is like $70, PB 16oz is @$15 and I assume the CG stuff same price point FYI.
      10-28-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
TOGWT
Captain

Drives: 630i

Light Colour Leather

A water-based cleaner and protection products should be used as lighter colours show dirt more easily than darker colours. On older and especially light coloured seating micro cracking of the urethane or pigment can make the surface appear soiled, the fibre structure is unidirectional, which simply means that it has no particular direction or pattern.

The urethane surface coating cannot withstand this much abuse, however, and when leather is flexed or stretched continuously in the same spot; the surface coating develops minute cracks, which to naked eye look like surface dirt. Before you dismiss the cleaning products as ineffective, make sure the ‘dirt’ isn’t micro cracking, if this is the case the urethane will need restoring rather than cleaning but check surface with a magnifying glass first
TOGWT is offline   United_States
      10-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain

Drives: X6 M

What about Coral red leather? I want to restore it's original matte state, and it's original leather scent, what do you guys reccomend?
      10-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Bobble
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonIvy35i View Post
What about Coral red leather? I want to restore it's original matte state, and it's original leather scent, what do you guys reccomend?
Same products as his. Leatherique works great but costs. Leather Master equally as well. PB Leather stuff conditions and UV protects but not much cleaning power, never used CG version but it looks identical and the OP wanted to purchase so they are in his area. I use Leatherique once a year and PB leather stuff every couple of months. I have some Megs leather wipes in the trunk in case something gets on it in between. Works for me.
      10-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
e92LuNaTiC
Major

Thanks!

Cool! I'm about to get to it this weekend! I'll throw some before and after pics for you guys. Thanks for all the feedback!
      10-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
CrimsonIvy35i
Captain

Drives: X6 M

What about Zaino leather in a bottle?
      10-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
e92LuNaTiC
Major

Going down to Inglewood to pay the Chemical Guys a visit this weekend. Thanks for the info Bobble. I'll probably get some car wash shampoo stuff to while I'm at it, I'll get some before and after pictures posted up. Also, everyone seems to use Leatherique, but everytime I see a posting about it, everyone's car seems to be 8+ years in age? Is this product intended more for leather restoration? My cream beige leather needs a little more than a wipe down, but nothing heavy. I'll take some pictures today if I can and post them up so you guys can see what I'm talking about...

Last edited by e92LuNaTiC; 10-28-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: TYPO!
      10-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #14
e92LuNaTiC
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Light Colour Leather

A water-based cleaner and protection products should be used as lighter colours show dirt more easily than darker colours. On older and especially light coloured seating micro cracking of the urethane or pigment can make the surface appear soiled, the fibre structure is unidirectional, which simply means that it has no particular direction or pattern.

The urethane surface coating cannot withstand this much abuse, however, and when leather is flexed or stretched continuously in the same spot; the surface coating develops minute cracks, which to naked eye look like surface dirt. Before you dismiss the cleaning products as ineffective, make sure the Ďdirtí isnít micro cracking, if this is the case the urethane will need restoring rather than cleaning but check surface with a magnifying glass first

What's a good water-based cleaner you would recommend?
      10-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
Bobble
Major

If your leather only needs a mild cleaning, and it's really hard to tell how much crap is on dark leather, I would just get the CG Leather stuff while you are there. It really looks identical to PB leather stuff from the website and they advertise the same abilities. It's basically a conditioner with a little cleaning product. Let your leather get warm, apply it with clean MF or applicator and wipe off 30 minutes or so later and buff the esurface with another clean MF. Have fun in the hood!

PS clean your wheel as well and you'll see what I mean about hard to tell with dark leather. The crap that comes off the wheel is interesting.
      10-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
e92LuNaTiC
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
If your leather only needs a mild cleaning, and it's really hard to tell how much crap is on dark leather, I would just get the CG Leather stuff while you are there. It really looks identical to PB leather stuff from the website and they advertise the same abilities. It's basically a conditioner with a little cleaning product. Let your leather get warm, apply it with clean MF or applicator and wipe off 30 minutes or so later and buff the esurface with another clean MF. Have fun in the hood!

PS clean your wheel as well and you'll see what I mean about hard to tell with dark leather. The crap that comes off the wheel is interesting.
LMAO! I can only imagine!! Yuck!! Carrying damn hand sanitizer in the car doesn't really help then since my hands are back on the wheel instantly with all sorts of grime I can only imagine! We'll see how this turns out, I'll make sure I wear non-gang banging colors when I go into Inglewooood! "Always up ta' no guuud"...
      10-29-2010, 04:29 AM   #17
TOGWT
Captain

Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92LuNaTiC View Post
What's a good water-based cleaner you would recommend?
Leatherequi is formulated for un-finished leather, which accounts for approx 10% of the market.

The leather upholstery used for modern automobiles is either coated with a water-based pigmented urethane or a water-based pigmented urethane covering, either way 90% of us are dealing with a urethane surface not a leather hide

My leather care products of choice are water-based and made by Leather Master
TOGWT is offline   United_States