E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Visor warning sticker removal

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
tima's Avatar Visor warning sticker removal
tima
09-14-2005
I can confirm the obnoxious bright yellow seatbelt warning labels that come on the sun visors are easily removed with Goof Off. Dab some on a cotton towel, hold the towel on a corner of the label, then gently wipe the towel across the rest of the label. Start peeling at that corner by lifting...
By trick50 on 04-07-2007, 01:09 AM
So I saw the post on how to remove them without using a chemical and steaming them off..
I removed the visors and spent an hour and a half trying to steam them off with a steam iron. After all of that time I got about 7% of one of them off and had not even started the other.

Then the next day I went to Target to find "Goof Off" all I could find was this stuff called "Krud Kutter" what a crock of shit that was..You know it won't work when you open the bottle and it actually smells good lol....

So tonight I went to Home Depot and I found the Goof Off..unbelievable it literally took 15 minutes at best and thats with removing both visors, removing the stickers, drinking a heineken, cleaning them and reinstalling...
I can't believe I spent so much damn time with the stupid ass steam iron..

Worked like a charm.

Thanks to the OP for the tip on the Goof off..

By sterns on 05-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Here's a picture of my visor with the label removed. My visors are not cloth, they are vinyl. I started with denatured alcohol and that didn't work well, it removed the label but it left the glue behind, which looked like a white residue. I then tried Goo Gone and it didn't help much either. Again I could not get rid of the glue residue, especially in all the little cracks. I finally tried a non-acetone nail polish remover and that did the trick. It took some elbow grease but after a while I was able to get all the glue out. I probably spent 40-60 minutes on the first visor. Needless to say, the second visor took much less. I think they came out great, you cannot tell where the label was, especially after they are back on the car.
Attached Images

By ducati955 on 05-07-2007, 01:07 AM
word

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick50 View Post
So I saw the post on how to remove them without using a chemical and steaming them off..
I removed the visors and spent an hour and a half trying to steam them off with a steam iron. After all of that time I got about 7% of one of them off and had not even started the other.

Then the next day I went to Target to find "Goof Off" all I could find was this stuff called "Krud Kutter" what a crock of shit that was..You know it won't work when you open the bottle and it actually smells good lol....

So tonight I went to Home Depot and I found the Goof Off..unbelievable it literally took 15 minutes at best and thats with removing both visors, removing the stickers, drinking a heineken, cleaning them and reinstalling...
I can't believe I spent so much damn time with the stupid ass steam iron..

Worked like a charm.

Thanks to the OP for the tip on the Goof off..

you have the fabric visors right?
i want to do this on my e92 also, no damage and easy to do?
By tintivilus on 05-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Weird that this thread came up again tonight -- I just finished de-stickering my (fabric/e92) visors via the denatured alcohol method. It took maybe 15 minutes: no muss, no fuss. The (faint) sticker outline almost completely disappeared after a brisk rubbing with an alcohol-soaked rag; after they were dry I could only see anything if I held them just right in the light.

I decided to use the alcohol method since it just seemed less likely to go horribly awry than using petroleum distillates. I was afraid mainly of perma-funk in the fabric.
By ducati955 on 05-07-2007, 10:53 PM
so what exactly is this method u used?
By tintivilus on 05-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati955 View Post
so what exactly is this method u used?
um, clicky clicky

maybe I should have included the "method" in the link... oh well, you get the idea
By trick50 on 05-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati955 View Post
you have the fabric visors right?
i want to do this on my e92 also, no damage and easy to do?
No my e92 has gray vinyl visors. It was a piece of cake, I was absolutly amazed with how easy they came off. For a few days after wards I was still able to see a slight outine of where the old sticker was but I kinda forgot about it. Here I am a month and a half later, and you can't even tell that there was ever a sticker on.

**I used the goof off method**
By canucklion on 05-08-2007, 02:43 PM
I can atest to the fact that a steam iron doesn't work, it only warped the sticker for me
will try goof off next
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick50 View Post
No my e92 has gray vinyl visors. It was a piece of cake, I was absolutly amazed with how easy they came off. For a few days after wards I was still able to see a slight outine of where the old sticker was but I kinda forgot about it. Here I am a month and a half later, and you can't even tell that there was ever a sticker on.

**I used the goof off method**
By Booboo12 on 06-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Just did mine. I've got the cloth\headliner type visors - beige... Used isopropal rubbing acholol - just used a q-tip to dab it on all over the label and waited a few minutes - dabbed a liltte more on and used the qtip to slowly rub\peel the label up and off... It worked well once you get the feel for it. It will leave a little "indent" where the label once was, but if you didn't know, you'd never be able to tell... The ONLY suggestion I can offer up to help others is to do the passenger side visor first... Perfect the removal style on that one and then do the driver side visor perfectly now that you've developed the 'how to' experience... Oh - and removing the visor from the car to do it is a must to really do it right... imho
By E90330iS on 06-17-2007, 02:07 PM
There is residue left in my sunvisors how do I remove that?
By Booboo12 on 06-17-2007, 06:06 PM
I used isopropal rubbing achohol and a q-tip and lightly rubbed on it.. While all the plastic flecks of the label came off fine, you'll still be left with the "indent" of where it once was... I'm hoping after a week or so, that will fade away and blend in, but it's pretty much noticible only if you're looking for it... I don't recommend rubbing hard on it or you'll wear out the lining and that WILL be noticible... slow and patient...
By NRW-DE on 06-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Acetone rocks!!!

I read through the post and heard goof off, and isopropanol, etc. And we are using in our production acetone for cleaning of all kinds of adhesive residue, etc. It is pretty aggressive, but it evaporates extremely quickly, which is good!
To come to the point, I have gray vinyl sun visor, and used it on them by rubbing with a blue shop towel, folded a couple times, pressed it against the acetone bottle, turned it upside down for soaking, and than dabbed and rubbed it on the label, it disintegrated immediately, I used another shop towel(dry to wipe of the disintegrated label parts. Key is to use always a clean part of the acetone soaked towel, otherwise you are smearing it around.
Once I got it off, I used another shop towel soaked it in acetone ;like described above, and cleaned the entire visor area. Afterwards some 409 to clean the entire area and ensure no acetone was left on the visor.
The result, a complete removal of the sticker, no swelling of the vinyl, not the slightest clue that there was a label ever. The best thing, it took me less than 5 minutes per visor!
Key is use the Acetone sparingly, you do not want too much on there, the soaking statement above may be misleading you DO NOT want it dripping of the shop towel!!!, it is after all, very aggressive stuff.
Good look!
:rocks:
By baltik on 06-24-2007, 02:20 PM
boboo - is the indent gone?

Is there a consensus on best way to remove from a cloth (gray) headliner?
By eleven11 on 06-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I searched somewhat, and couldn't find the answer. Is there any problem with removing this sticker on a leased vehicle? Thanks.
By eleven11 on 06-26-2007, 06:23 PM
*kabump*
By stressdoc on 06-26-2007, 06:58 PM
My next mini-mod. Guess I will try the goof-off method. I have beige vinyl. I also want to get the sticker off the windshield. And some tape (from the temp plate...) in a really awkward place on the rear window so low you cannot get your hand to it.
By Booboo12 on 06-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
boboo - is the indent gone?

Is there a consensus on best way to remove from a cloth (gray) headliner?

The indent has faded a little - but not all the way - you can still see it in certain lighting conditions or if you're looking for it... I'll try and get a picture or two this weekend and post it... I do think it has faded a little...
By RANJHA on 06-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I searched somewhat, and couldn't find the answer. Is there any problem with removing this sticker on a leased vehicle? Thanks.
i doubt it lol they prolly wont even notice when u turn it back in
By baltik on 06-29-2007, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92!Dreier View Post
Denatured alcohol + Shop Towel ( lint and bleed free) + 5 minutes of pressing and wiping the soaked towel over the visor warning sticker = perfect removal with no evidence whatsoever of the original sticker.

Thank you to all
cloth or vinyl?
By Booboo12 on 07-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Finally got batteries for my camera... pics attached of the post removal... While the indents are still somewhat visible, it's mainly due to lighting conditions and angle... first pic is the drivers side with flash (BRIGHT FLASH LOL - it really is a beige interior)... second pic is passenger side without flash... I really don't notice the drivers side indent anymore... the passengers side does still stand out a bit, but that bright yellow sticker stood out a LOT more...
Attached Images

By eleven11 on 07-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I'm not sure, maybe someone else can chime in on this.
By hl0m4n on 07-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
how do you remove the visor from the latch?
Comment