E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Voice Recognition



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Brewski13
Brewski
 
Drives: '07 BMW 328XI Coupe (E92)
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NJ

Posts: 33
iTrader: (1)

Voice Recognition

I have a question regarding voice recognition. My brother has an '06 E90 sedan with i-drive. I swear that I remember him training the i-drive to recognize his voice. I get very frustrated when I try to use the voice recognition and it takes 5 times for it to recognize my command. I can not find any command similar to that in my '07 E92. Am I dreaming here, or has anyone else heard of this? Is there a "learn" command that will help the system to recognize the users voice?
__________________
'07 BMW 328XI Coupe
'02 BMW X5 4.4i
'02 BMW 325i Sport (sold)
Brewski13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
bakdraft
Private First Class
 
Drives: 320 D, March 2006,
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Liverpool England

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski13 View Post
I have a question regarding voice recognition. My brother has an '06 E90 sedan with i-drive. I swear that I remember him training the i-drive to recognize his voice. I get very frustrated when I try to use the voice recognition and it takes 5 times for it to recognize my command. I can not find any command similar to that in my '07 E92. Am I dreaming here, or has anyone else heard of this? Is there a "learn" command that will help the system to recognize the users voice?
As far as I know... you can't..... But...

You can in an E46!... as always...
bakdraft is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
 
NFS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 9,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewski13 View Post
I have a question regarding voice recognition. My brother has an '06 E90 sedan with i-drive. I swear that I remember him training the i-drive to recognize his voice. I get very frustrated when I try to use the voice recognition and it takes 5 times for it to recognize my command. I can not find any command similar to that in my '07 E92. Am I dreaming here, or has anyone else heard of this? Is there a "learn" command that will help the system to recognize the users voice?
It doesn't learn your voice ... but I just read a stunning tip in one of the other forum threads.

When you use voice control - don't start speaking after the 'beep'. Wait until the speech icon appears in the bottom left hand corner of the idrive display - then speak.

"I'm sorry I didn't understand you" will become a thing of the past.
__________________
NFS is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Ninjaneer
Shadow Warrior
 
Ninjaneer's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,097
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
When you use voice control - don't start speaking after the 'beep'. Wait until the speech icon appears in the bottom left hand corner of the idrive display - then speak.

"I'm sorry I didn't understand you" will become a thing of the past.
Man when I read that quote I heard it in the guy's voice - that's sad :P

Nice tip. Also make sure you're speaking audibly and stressing on the letters. I've gotten a better response time from the system when I do instead of it sitting there for a few extra seconds deciphering my words.
__________________
335i E90 / Arctic / Gray / Burl Walnut / Steptronic / ZPP / ZSP / Paddles / CA / Nav / PDC / OEM Spoiler
Mods:
PIAA Angel Eyes, Rear Fog Switch, Escort X50 Blue hardwire, 30% Charcoal Llumar
Installing soon: Rear Power Outlets (Happy Robot mod!)
Ninjaneer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
parkpo31
Enlisted Member
 
parkpo31's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

If you get the car without iDrive but do get the Assist/Bluetooth option, does the car still have voice recognition? If so, is there an icon (like on the idrive)that appears on the radio to let you know when to speak?

Thanks!
parkpo31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
 
JSpira's Avatar
 
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, München, Wien

Posts: 5,254
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkpo31 View Post
If you get the car without iDrive but do get the Assist/Bluetooth option, does the car still have voice recognition? If so, is there an icon (like on the idrive)that appears on the radio to let you know when to speak?

Thanks!
It doesn't have voice/speech recognition because that only comes with the high version of the computer. With the LOW version of the computer, there is a voice label system used only for the phone, but that requires (tedious) individual entries of names and numbers into the car's system.
__________________
Freude am Fahren.

Jonathan




E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired


Nominated: Most Contributing Member
JSpira is offline   Austria
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST