E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Is it worth it? best bang for buck? exhaust idea



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #23
jmkworld
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philly

Posts: 626
iTrader: (3)

you said you can change it in a few minutes. do you have a picture of what your set up looks like. DEFINATELY INTERESTED in doing it just like yours!
jmkworld is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #24
Iceberg4
Lieutenant
 
Iceberg4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 AW 435i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The city that never sleeps!

Posts: 499
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
Really? I guess they dont care, its not like the muffler affects anything. But you know how the dealers are.
Won't deleting the mufflers on the N55 cause a loss of power?? I thought the N55 required the extra backpressure. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
Iceberg4 is offline   Dominica
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #25
Bakeme521
Some say...
 
Bakeme521's Avatar
 
Drives: Fresh
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baton Rouge n NOLA

Posts: 4,272
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg3 View Post
Won't deleting the mufflers on the N55 cause a loss of power?? I thought the N55 required the extra backpressure. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
Could be right but I have an n54 so I'm good

Here is a picture of the set up I made. If you look you can see the 2 exhausts clamps on there. I made it to where the muffler delete pipes I made can slide snug over the stock pipes where I cut the mufflers off. I also have a set of magnaflow mufflers that can slide on the same way and use the same clamps. It really sounds good and I am glad it is this way b/c I am about to put catless DPs on it and I am afraid it will be too loud and if it is I can just throw the mufflers back on.
__________________

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #26
dicostal
First Lieutenant
 
dicostal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Italian in CT - USA

Posts: 394
iTrader: (0)

I like it. Great work!!!
dicostal is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #27
Bakeme521
Some say...
 
Bakeme521's Avatar
 
Drives: Fresh
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baton Rouge n NOLA

Posts: 4,272
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicostal View Post
I like it. Great work!!!
Thanks, I like it a lot.
__________________

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #28
BrianMN
Colonel
 
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 2,429
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg3 View Post
Won't deleting the mufflers on the N55 cause a loss of power?? I thought the N55 required the extra backpressure. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
No. ENGINES like a little bit of backpressure (immediately out of the exhaust port)...NA engines like/need a little bit of backpressure, but our Turbos' provide the backpressure to the engine.. Therefore, what you're thinking is actually reducing backpressure from the Turbo....which is desireable.
BrianMN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #29
shockin330i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: blue
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: f y'all, I'm from Texas (RGV)

Posts: 4,202
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
This n55 sounds nasty
I might go back to that
Cost me all of 90 bucks.
__________________
ERnie 2011 AW/e90/n55 12.9@107.53mph
*N55 Moderator*
I'm crawling similar to a ant cuz I'm low to the earth
shockin330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #30
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
 
michaelthepsycho's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 1,632
iTrader: (4)

No engine ever needs backpressure, only exhaust velocity and scavenging, which may be brought on by less free-flowing exhausts. Top end will suffer from restriction. Go as wide as you can until you start experiencing diminishing returns.
__________________
Former car
2011 BMW 335i Step - Montego Blue / Chestnut Brown
michaelthepsycho is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #31
techlogik
Major
 
Drives: 07 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FL

Posts: 1,339
iTrader: (1)

That sounds pretty badass..I like. The idea of being able to install/remove the exhaust easily is pretty good too.
__________________
SOLD: 2007 E92 335i Space Gray. Loaded. 6AT | GIAC Stage 1 w/map switcher 330rwhp/332tq | CX Racing IC | Drop-in Filter | Eibach Pro/Koni Yellows | M6 Reps | Toyo Proxes IV Tires, 235/35/19F-265/30/19R
techlogik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #32
bugmcw
class clown
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i Space Gray/Blk
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chas, SC

Posts: 466
iTrader: (1)

hell yeah me too, id love to be able to slip the muffler on and off at will-
bugmcw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #33
Mywifes335
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 335i sport | SSTT | BMS C
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York

Posts: 43
iTrader: (1)

Muffler delete has No drone?

Guys-

I ended up spending about $400 in total for my setup. Here's what I did.

1. First, I had the muffler shop saw off the stock mufflers and tips. Then I had them install two Magnaflow resonator-type mufflers (i.s. style 10414) and rewelded the stock tips on.

The sound was great, the I6 sound was back! However, after a couple of the weeks, the drone at around 2k RPM just got too crazy, especially cruising for long distances.

2. I went back to the shop and they said the only that could be done was to go with a different, larger muffler (i.e. style 12226).

The resulting sound is much more mellow than the original setup but still throatier and deeper than stock. There is basically no drone either. However, it lost a lot of that I6 sound, the awesome rumble at idle, and has a bit of the harshness of the stock exhaust.

Have you guys had similar experiences?
Mywifes335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2010, 03:02 AM   #34
Bakeme521
Some say...
 
Bakeme521's Avatar
 
Drives: Fresh
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baton Rouge n NOLA

Posts: 4,272
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
Guys-

I ended up spending about $400 in total for my setup. Here's what I did.

1. First, I had the muffler shop saw off the stock mufflers and tips. Then I had them install two Magnaflow resonator-type mufflers (i.s. style 10414) and rewelded the stock tips on.

The sound was great, the I6 sound was back! However, after a couple of the weeks, the drone at around 2k RPM just got too crazy, especially cruising for long distances.

2. I went back to the shop and they said the only that could be done was to go with a different, larger muffler (i.e. style 12226).

The resulting sound is much more mellow than the original setup but still throatier and deeper than stock. There is basically no drone either. However, it lost a lot of that I6 sound, the awesome rumble at idle, and has a bit of the harshness of the stock exhaust.

Have you guys had similar experiences?
Yeah my muffler delete drones a bit but in reality if you want a good sound you are going to have to deal with a little bit of drone, price you gotta pay.
__________________

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #35
z92
New Member
 
Drives: sparkling graphite e92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: san diego

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

Nice video! what size are the tips you have?
z92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #36
techlogik
Major
 
Drives: 07 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FL

Posts: 1,339
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
No. ENGINES like a little bit of backpressure (immediately out of the exhaust port)...NA engines like/need a little bit of backpressure, but our Turbos' provide the backpressure to the engine.. Therefore, what you're thinking is actually reducing backpressure from the Turbo....which is desireable.
I guess all those drag/race cars with straight pipes need to take a look into their straight pipe exhaust design and rethink that based on what you say.
__________________
SOLD: 2007 E92 335i Space Gray. Loaded. 6AT | GIAC Stage 1 w/map switcher 330rwhp/332tq | CX Racing IC | Drop-in Filter | Eibach Pro/Koni Yellows | M6 Reps | Toyo Proxes IV Tires, 235/35/19F-265/30/19R
techlogik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #37
BrianMN
Colonel
 
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 2,429
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
I guess all those drag/race cars with straight pipes need to take a look into their straight pipe exhaust design and rethink that based on what you say.
Haha drag engines pushing thousands of horsepower are a bit different, which I think you are smart enough to realize. For the average <100hp/liter car, some backpressure is desireable.
BrianMN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #38
Bakeme521
Some say...
 
Bakeme521's Avatar
 
Drives: Fresh
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baton Rouge n NOLA

Posts: 4,272
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
Quote:
Originally Posted by z92 View Post
Nice video! what size are the tips you have?
They are 4 inch tips, they are just as good of quality of any tip out there. They look exactly like dimisa tips but bigger and I got them for 28 bucks to my door from a car parts provider on ebay and they are nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
Haha drag engines pushing thousands of horsepower are a bit different, which I think you are smart enough to realize. For the average <100hp/liter car, some backpressure is desireable.
this
__________________

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #39
Agent11br
Captain
 
Agent11br's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Birmingham, MI

Posts: 903
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Another alternative way of doing this would be with v-band flanges. That way for those of us up north where stuff gets salty/rusty/etc (ie a slip fit system sucks for swapping stuff out if needed) it would be simple.

I may look into doing this in the spring. Solid idea, easy to accomplish. The sound is fantastic as well.
__________________
07 E90 335i TiAg/Black 6MT
Agent11br is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #40
jmkworld
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philly

Posts: 626
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
Another alternative way of doing this would be with v-band flanges. That way for those of us up north where stuff gets salty/rusty/etc (ie a slip fit system sucks for swapping stuff out if needed) it would be simple.

I may look into doing this in the spring. Solid idea, easy to accomplish. The sound is fantastic as well.
any info or pics of this?
jmkworld is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #41
techlogik
Major
 
Drives: 07 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FL

Posts: 1,339
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
Haha drag engines pushing thousands of horsepower are a bit different, which I think you are smart enough to realize. For the average <100hp/liter car, some backpressure is desireable.
Haha....ok...Mr. Condescending attitude. Unfortunately, you couldn't be more wrong. Since you have ZERO evidence and facts regarding flow/backpressure and how it is bad for an exhaust except, "thousands of horsepower are a bit different"..what does that mean?? Very scientific and factual on the physics involved...which makes your argument have no credibility.

The the not so smart person says and knows why back-pressure is bad, knows the principle of designing a good performing exhaust, and the so-called guy who thinks he is smart, is actually the one who doesn't know what he is talking about..the former is me, the latter is you.
__________________
SOLD: 2007 E92 335i Space Gray. Loaded. 6AT | GIAC Stage 1 w/map switcher 330rwhp/332tq | CX Racing IC | Drop-in Filter | Eibach Pro/Koni Yellows | M6 Reps | Toyo Proxes IV Tires, 235/35/19F-265/30/19R
techlogik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #42
Bakeme521
Some say...
 
Bakeme521's Avatar
 
Drives: Fresh
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baton Rouge n NOLA

Posts: 4,272
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Haha....ok...Mr. Condescending attitude. Unfortunately, you couldn't be more wrong. Since you have ZERO evidence and facts regarding flow/backpressure and how it is bad for an exhaust except, "thousands of horsepower are a bit different"..what does that mean?? Very scientific and factual on the physics involved...which makes your argument have no credibility.

The the not so smart person says and knows why back-pressure is bad, knows the principle of designing a good performing exhaust, and the so-called guy who thinks he is smart, is actually the one who doesn't know what he is talking about..the former is me, the latter is you.
And what evidence have you presented proving him wrong? All you did was say he was wrong, fail. If someone is wrong why don't you come presenting facts to actually help people understand these situations, instead of coming in here and putting up a completely useless youtube style comment.

Here is some useful info on backpressure...

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

And if you search around you can see that a little back pressure on a turbo is good, less it better but some is needed to keep the turbo from spinning too fast and blowing.
__________________

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #43
techlogik
Major
 
Drives: 07 335i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FL

Posts: 1,339
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
And what evidence have you presented proving him wrong? All you did was say he was wrong, fail. If someone is wrong why don't you come presenting facts to actually help people understand these situations, instead of coming in here and putting up a completely useless youtube style comment.

Here is some useful info on backpressure...

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

And if you search around you can see that a little back pressure on a turbo is good, less it better but some is needed to keep the turbo from spinning too fast and blowing.

So you post something that supports exactly what I said.

You say "if I search around you can see that a little back pressure on a turbo is good, the less it better, but some is needed to keep the turbo from spinning too fast and blowing"?!?!

What? That is what a wastegate is for...gheez. Wastegates control turbine speed...not exhaust backpressure. Exhaust flow goes over the turbin wheel and spins it, the wastegate then controls how fast the turbine spins and controls the amount of gas that can pass over the turbine wheel.

I don't need to post any supporting evidence...but you found some and that is exactly contradictory to what you posted and supports what I said. Backpressure is bad. For eveyr 1Hg is backpressure you lose about 1hp. It is that simple. Physics.

A good design for an exhaust accomplishes two things, it reduces back pressure, and it accelerates the velocity of the gases across the entire RPM range as best as possible.
__________________
SOLD: 2007 E92 335i Space Gray. Loaded. 6AT | GIAC Stage 1 w/map switcher 330rwhp/332tq | CX Racing IC | Drop-in Filter | Eibach Pro/Koni Yellows | M6 Reps | Toyo Proxes IV Tires, 235/35/19F-265/30/19R
techlogik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #44
Forcefed3
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South

Posts: 4,742
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
So you post something that supports exactly what I said.

You say "if I search around you can see that a little back pressure on a turbo is good, the less it better, but some is needed to keep the turbo from spinning too fast and blowing"?!?!

What? That is what a wastegate is for...gheez. Wastegates control turbine speed...not exhaust backpressure. Exhaust flow goes over the turbin wheel and spins it, the wastegate then controls how fast the turbine spins and controls the amount of gas that can pass over the turbine wheel.

I don't need to post any supporting evidence...but you found some and that is exactly contradictory to what you posted and supports what I said. Backpressure is bad. For eveyr 1Hg is backpressure you lose about 1hp. It is that simple. Physics.

A good design for an exhaust accomplishes two things, it reduces back pressure, and it accelerates the velocity of the gases across the entire RPM range as best as possible.
You do need a little bit of back pressure. But the main thing is, his exhaust sounds awesome, and its fully reversible
Forcefed3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST