E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > -NEW V.2- STETT Performance Cold Air Intake **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

11-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Drives: 4 Wheels

-NEW V.2- STETT Performance Cold Air Intake **FULL REVIEW/DIY**

As many of you know, I have a STETT Performance Cold Air Intake (CAI) on my car. About a month ago, STETT mentioned they have a version 2 of the cold air intake that made installation easier, increased intake piping diameter, and slightly increased filter size. I know a few members were curious about the new product, so I thought I would take some time to review the product for the forums.

For those of you that are not familiar, I wrote an original DIY for the STETT Performance CAI:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...CAI+versus+DCI

I also did a detailed analysis of the STETT Cold Air Intake Versus Tradional DCI intakes:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...CAI+versus+DCI

This review will note my experience with STETT, detailed pictures of the v.2 kit, comparison of the v.2 kit versus the older kit, update to install process, and finally my conclusions.

Experience with STETT Performance

I make no secrets that STETT Performance is really one of my absolute favorite vendors. I have had just a ton of success with them on my car and this was no difference. STETT is always very knowledgable and customer friendly. Their shipping is second to none. STETT emails you a notification you of a pending shipment, notifies you when the package has been picked up, and email you within 10 minutes after the package has been delivered. I have yet to ever see better post purchase customer service. One thing to note, the kit did not come with installation instructions, but with this and my former DIY, I think that should cover installation nicely.

The box came to my house with my new STETT oil cooler kit in a large cardboard box.

All items are protected with styrofoam peanuts, bubble wrapped to protect the products during the shipment, then the pipes are plastic wrapped.

Once I opened the box, I got to see the kit as a whole. 3 pipes, 2 couplers, clamps, and filter.

STETT Performance is known for their distinctive black piping and these look really, really good!

The finish on the pipes is nothing less the perfect looking. The black color is just sick!

STETT's couplers are always high quality and black to match the rest of the kit.

Finally, the filter is seperately packaged and plastic wrapped to protect it.

Another incredibly positive experience with STETT, but I have come to expect nothing less from these guys.

STETT Performance CAI V.2 kit versus Original CAI

I wanted to focus a little on the differences between the original STETT CAI and the V.2 of the STETT CAI. There are obvious differences, but I did want to quantify the differences for that that are interested in this product. Keep in mind that flow is proportional to cross sectional area, so small increases in pipe diameter will equate to better flow.

First lets look at the piping that is post y-pipe. Notice what was once one pipe is now broken down into two pipes connected by a silicone coupler.

There is a small difference in the pipe diameter, but everything helps flow.

One of the big and very noticeable differences is in the y-pipe area. The shape is different, the angles are different, and the runners are noticably larger.

The runners again are the biggest difference in this kit.

The diameter on the runner of the original STETT Performance CAI is about 2.5".

The diameter on the runner of the V.2 STETT Performance CAI is very close to 3" now. That is a significant increase in size from the runners to the exit of the y-pipe.

The filters are very nearly the same size with a small increase in diameter to meet the piping of the intake.

So the changes are as follows:
  • Y-pipe has an increase of around 1/2" on the runners
  • A small increase on the exit of the pipe
  • The piping post y-pipe has a small increase in diameter
  • The exit of the filter also has a small increase in diameter
Installation/DIY

Much of the DIY installation was covered in my original review and I would encourage you to refresh yourself in that review if you are doing the installation. I will still cover some of the differences on this install. It is important to note, you should always clean the inside of any intake to assure that there is no debris in the pipe! I alway go through the piping with steel wool the dislodge any debris and then clean it is running water.

Once you remove your former intake, this is a very easy install on the v.2 STETT CAI. I always jack up my car and remove the fender liner so I can have full acess to my fender well for the install. It takes 15 minutes and just makes life easier.

The first thing I installed was the intake y-pipe. To make my life easier and decrease the chance of scuffing the pipe, I installed the 90* bend silicone coupler on the y-pipe and angled it slightly toward the driver's side headlight. I also remove the clamps completely to protect the pipes from scratches. From here, I inserted the ends of the runner into the turbo intake piping.

Next, I installed the upper intake piping. Notice I wrapped all my pipes in towels to protect the black coating during the install process.

Next I installed the lower intake piping. Note the long section should be facing the engine while the short bend should be facing the fog light. Make sure you angled the short bend opening toward the location where the filter will sit. I placed my filter in its final location to make sure I got things lined up well.

Once I was able to verify no interference with the piping and either the headlight or the body of the car, I started to assemble everything. First, I inserted the pipe into the air filter.

From here, I made sure that all the pipes were inserted securely into the silicone couplers. Then I wrapped the clamps around the couplers and loosely tightened the couplers to allow for final adjustment.

With everything lined up well, I torqued all the clamps down. The job is actually pretty easy to be honest, and I have to say much easier than the original CAI. The V.2 STETT CAI added a second coupler and broke the post y-pipe into two seperate pieces to make the installation easier / fitment better. I think they absolutely accomplished their goal. The job was 45 minutes most for me.

Results

The look of the STETT CAI is tremendous. The black pipes from STETT have such a glow to them and look so good in the engine bay! Have a look for yourself.

Previous IAT Testing With STETT CAI versus DCI Intakes

For those that are interested in the results from the STETT CAI versus DCI intakes, I have posted the testing I did about 18 months ago.

Products Tested

This test was an IAT analysis between the BMS DCI and STETT Performance Cold Air Intake.

Testing Procedure in 2009

Tests were conducted to determine how the STETT Performance CAI and the BMS DCI would perform in multiple situations. I collected nearly 70,000 data points in a specific testing procedure. Each test was conducted in the following way:

1) JB3 8D4 Rev.4 on map 7 (same as map 6 on 1.2).
2) This is critically important to note... the car has an Active Autowerke Intercooler.
3) Car was warmed up for 18 minutes in identical driving routes, rpms, and speed.
4) Data was logged using Bavarian Technic software and BMS Tuning Tool.
5) Ambients were logged in an attempt to replicate similar conditions.

Four tests were done on each intake using an identical car setup. The tests are:

1) Approximately 10 minute highway runs at 70 mph
2) Approximately 10 minute standing idle
3) Approximately 10 minutes of stop and go driving
4) 3 back to back wide open throttle (WOT) full gear pulls

Ambient Conditions

The BMS DCI was logged under the following conditions:

Temperature of 67 degrees F
Relative Humidity of 54%
Pressure of 30.15" / 1020 mb

The STETT Performance CAI was logged under the following conditions:

Temperature of 70 degrees F
Relative Humidity of 84%
Pressure of 30.09" / 1018 mb

Note the BMS DCI was tested at 3 degrees F colder temperatures and 30% lower relative humidities.

Results

Highway Runs

I am going to start with the highway runs because these we would expect to be identical. These tests were done at 70 mph with about a 2 minute turn around in the middle of the runs. You can see where the AITs rise slightly while waiting at the stop light.

Here is the IAT graph of the BMS DCI

Here is the IAT graph of the STETT Performance CAI

Both showed very consistent results. Around 82 degrees F through the entire highway runs. No difference at all between the BMS DCI and the STETT Performance CAI.

Idle for 10 minutes

This was a simple test. Let the car sit after the highway run for 10 minutes.

Here is the BMS DCI IAT graph:

Here is the STETT Performance CAI IAT graph:

The BMS DCI graph shows the IATs warm up faster in the first 5 minutes or so, then they become very close by the end of the ten minutes. The BMS DCI was at 112 degrees F after 5 minutes while the STETT Performance CAI was at 106 degrees F. The BMS DCI was at 121 degrees F after 10 minutes while the STETT Performance CAI was 119 degrees F after 10 minutes. The STETT Performance CAI definitely performed slightly better here with colder AITs.

Stop and go driving

It is important to note here, there were a few more stops in the testing with the BMS DCI only because I got stuck at more lights.

BMS DCI IAT graph versus RPM:

BMS DCI IAT graph versus speed:

STETT Performance CAI IAT graph versus RPM:

STETT Performance CAI IAT graph versus speed:

I have to say both performed nearly identical to one another. Both hovered from 85 degrees F to 95 degrees F during the entire runs. The single most noticeable thing was that during hard acceleration the STETT Performance did seem to drop AITs faster, but I would not give an advantage to either.

3 wide open throttle long gear pulls

Ok, this is the big daddy and the single most important test I did. There is one piece of bad news. I accidentally cleared the first run off one of my data logs from the Bavarian Technic software, but did log the run using the BMS Tuning tool. The bottom line is the graphs will show run 2 and run 3.

From the BMS Tuning Tool Run 1 on the BMS DCI produced a peak of 109 degrees F and the STETT Performance CAI produced an IAT of 101 degrees F. I apologize for no graphs, but the next two graphs show more than enough.

IAT graph of run 2 and 3 on the BMS DCI:

IAT graph of run 2 and 3 on the STETT Performance CAI:

IAT graph of run 2/3 of the BMS DCI versus the STETT Performance CAI:

The data is very clear here. The BMS DCI had a peak IAT that was 8 degrees hotter on run 1, 10 degrees hotter on run 2, and 8 degrees hotter on run three. This is an average of 8.7 degrees hotter for the BMS DCI over the STETT Performance CAI over the three runs.

The analysis of the graphs clearly shows the entire temperature climb is shifted down by the STETT Performance CAI. There is no exponential difference, but a step difference between the two. You can also see the difference is held through the 1 minute or so it took me to turn around for another run. The data is pretty definitive.

Conclusions

In May of 2009, I showed that the STETT CAI did indeed produce colder IAT temperatures over a traditional DCI intake at WOT without any increase in wastegate duty cycles that were notable. My averaged was 9F colder IATs with the STETT Perfomance CAI versus the traditional DCI intakes. Note, this difference was with an aftermarket intercooler, so the difference would be quite a bit bigger with the stock intercooler. I think this put to rest that a CAI will indeed produce colder air to your engine which ultimately is the goal here.

The STETT Performance V.2 Cold Air Intake has made the installation really a lot easier and I didn't consider it a very difficult install before. The added couplers give more room to adjust the piping and that is definitely a help. The V.2 kit also increases the diameter slightly on the opening for the filter, the post y-pipes, and significantly increases the diameter of the runners on the y-pipe. This is a quality kit with STETT's distinctive black coated pipes that look really good in your engine bay.

Shipping from STETT was top shelf as always... pre-shipment notice, pick-up notice, and delivery emails. STETT is the gold standard here.

STETT made an already great product even better. The additional couplers add a lot of flexibility to the kit and the installation is a breeze. I cannot imagine any DIY'er should have a problem whatsoever.

I don't think anyone will be suprised, but I wouldn't hesitate for a fraction of a second to purchase from STETT again.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep

Drives: '09 Coupe

great review. good thinking with wrapping the main pipe in towels, mine looks like i used it in a riot.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F10 550i

Great writeup, as usual! A couple questions:

It looks from the pix like it would fit with stock charge pipe w/Forge DV's - any thoughts?

I haven't been in the area behind the fender liner - any ideas if there are any differences that would prohibit this set up on an xi?

I assume you mention the wastegate duty cycle as a way to show that the flow was adequate with one filter vs two. What boost were you running on map 7 in the testing?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Bulgaria
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Excellent review as usual!
      11-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFiasco View Post
great review. good thinking with wrapping the main pipe in towels, mine looks like i used it in a riot.
Joey, thanks! Paint's tape is worth its weight in gold when working on a car too!

Pick up some 475 BSM paint and it you can touch up scratches very well on this piping color.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
Great writeup, as usual! A couple questions:

It looks from the pix like it would fit with stock charge pipe w/Forge DV's - any thoughts?

I haven't been in the area behind the fender liner - any ideas if there are any differences that would prohibit this set up on an xi?

I assume you mention the wastegate duty cycle as a way to show that the flow was adequate with one filter vs two. What boost were you running on map 7 in the testing?
alextremo, thanks for the kind words.

I think the new design would clear anything. The really raised up the upper piping a lot, so I cannot imagine it wouldn't clear.

The wastegate duty cycle would go up if the air flow is not sufficient. The idea is if you are calling for 14 psi, then the turbos need to flow enough to meet that boost need. If you have a flow restriction, then the turbos must spin faster to supply the necessary boost. WGDC is a good way to determine whether you intake flows enough air.

On Map 7, I boost around 16 psi or so depending on how cold it gets.

Last edited by Former_Boosted_IS; 11-01-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Excellent review as usual!
vasillalov, thanks my friend!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i MT, E46 M3 SMG

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i Coupe  [4.50]
2005 BMW M3  [5.00]
great review FBI...the new intake looks beast!! i like this design better...how the y-pipe extends straight up and uses a coupler to connect the longer pieces. i may upgrade mine in the future.
Mods: Procede Rev3 9-10|AE Catless Dual Exhaust|AR Design Catless DPs|AMS FMIC|Stett Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV|Stett CAI|BMS OCC|BMS CDV|Volk TE37 SLs|KW V2 Coilovers|Cusco OS Strut Brace|Macht Schnell Stud Conversion|Work RS-R Lugnuts|Gloss Black Roof|Matte Black Kidney Grills|UED Lower Bumper Grills|OEM Aero Lip and Painted Reflectors|M3 Sideskirts| VRS Decklid Aero Spoiler|Gloss Black Roof|M Peformance Alcantara Steering Wheel(blue)|OSS V2.0 LED Angel Eyes|8000k HID Fog Lights|8000k MTEC Xenons
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
WWM3
Captain
Rep

Drives: 09 E90 M3 AW/FR 6MT

Thank you for the excellent review/DIY. I am considering this intake and this definitely gave me some good information. FBIS - any issues/concerns with driving in the rain?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Nice review, as always!

The new version of the CAI should also avoid rubbing issues in the wheel well. I'm still having these very slightly right now in spite of running 2 degrees of camber. But it's not bothering me enough to warrant replacing the CAI with the newer version.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
great review FBI...the new intake looks beast!! i like this design better...how the y-pipe extends straight up and uses a coupler to connect the longer pieces. i may upgrade mine in the future.
import36, thanks for the compliments. I am really pleased with how good things look. The larger runners on the y-pipe really look mean in the engine compartment now.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW330 View Post
Thank you for the excellent review/DIY. I am considering this intake and this definitely gave me some good information. FBIS - any issues/concerns with driving in the rain?
WW330, no problem at all. With respect to water, you really would need to have your entire front bumper to the fog light submerged to suck water. I don't really see that happening in my situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Nice review, as always!

The new version of the CAI should also avoid rubbing issues in the wheel well. I'm still having these very slightly right now in spite of running 2 degrees of camber. But it's not bothering me enough to warrant replacing the CAI with the newer version.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Thanks Alpina_B3_Lux, I am running out of things to review. LOL! I have zero issues rubbing my wheels or tires, but never had that on the former setup. This is definitely not as "snug" though on my car as the V.1 was.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
vasillalov
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
I took a second look at that intake on Stett's web site. Even though the paint quality looks great, I think I prefer the black wrinkle paint finish because it is more practical. You won't have to worry about scratches and oily fingerprints as much. Not to mention that it looks more OEM in the engine bay.

FBI, do you know if they offer black wrinkle paint?
      11-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I took a second look at that intake on Stett's web site. Even though the paint quality looks great, I think I prefer the black wrinkle paint finish because it is more practical. You won't have to worry about scratches and oily fingerprints as much. Not to mention that it looks more OEM in the engine bay.

FBI, do you know if they offer black wrinkle paint?
I believe it is powder coated, so it does have durability. If you bang it around, it will chip though... same as wrinkle painting.

Regardless, if you ask STETT they may be able to do it. It couldn't hurt to ask?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #16
vasillalov
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I believe it is powder coated, so it does have durability. If you bang it around, it will chip though... same as wrinkle painting.

Regardless, if you ask STETT they may be able to do it. It couldn't hurt to ask?
True and true! I'll send them an email and find out...
      11-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [4.83]
Great review and data as always! Is there any real reason for v1 owners to upgrade to v2? I just got v1 earlier this year and it is a snug fit with the rest of my bolt ons but I don't see any compelling reasons for me to get v2. I have been very happy with all of my stett upgrades

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #18
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya View Post
Great review and data as always! Is there any real reason for v1 owners to upgrade to v2? I just got v1 earlier this year and it is a snug fit with the rest of my bolt ons but I don't see any compelling reasons for me to get v2. I have been very happy with all of my stett upgrades
Daya, I am glad the review made for a good read! The increased diameter cannot hurt, but I put down gobs of power on my V.1 and WGDC were not an issue at all, so I don't think the upgrade is needed to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #19
dc5_champ88
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Wow!!! That's one hell of a write up!!!! Great work!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #20
BrianMN
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Amazing contribution as always! I'm finally going to get around to ditching my DCI's and get this..and I'll be sure to mention your reviews were the deal maker!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #21
I335
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Great review FB - as usual!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #22
vasillalov
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
FBI,

Are the pipes painted inside? I see on their web site that they say they are SS 304 pipes. On one hand, I'd be concerned with rust forming on the inside of the pipes. On the other hand, I'd be concerned with paint flaking off from the inside of the pipes and hitting the turbine wheels at high speed. I've seen this happening with other intakes for other cars...

What's your take on this?