E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Re-tempering springs (heating the coils) to lower Eibach Pro Kit springs slightly

11-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #23
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
but the problem is the scuba weights are to heavy for the duct tape, it keeps falling off.
Duh. You weld the lead weight on.

Or at least use reflective racer's tape.
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
      11-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #24
3times3
Lieutenant

Drives: in a lot of traffic

Quote:
i just got off the phone with eibach tech support, my measurements are off by 3mm from what they have in their database. meaning my car sits 3mm higher then what they say it should, keep in mind that there is an error factor. that is enough to ease my mind that there is a problem with the install of my suspension. so my advise to others is if looks are more important go with h&r.
Do you mean you think there is not a problem with your install based on the conversation with Eibach? I guess I might as well give them a call tomorrow because I'm a bit confused on my drop too. I know it's only supposed to be about a .5" drop in the rear but I think I got more like nothing at all to maybe .2". It's been 6 days and about 30 miles which should be enough to allow settling to occur for the most part. And frankly I don't see how these springs even could lower the car. They're the same length (within a couple of millimeters) and same spring rate (OEM is 460, Eibach is 456). That would seem to translate to an extremely minimal drop which is what I got. The front looks good but the rear is pissing me off...

The thing that really confuses me is that H&R sports are rated as a 1.2" drop in the rear, Eibachs are 1.0" (both measurements based on non-sport suspension) so there should only be a .2" difference between the two. I had H&R sports on before this and there's at least a .6-.7" difference between the Eibachs and the H&Rs.
      11-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #25
3times3
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Duh. You weld the lead weight on.

Or at least use reflective racer's tape.
LOL, maybe I'll just keep all my OEM parts in the trunk - that'll make the rear look better!
      11-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #26
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3times3 View Post
LOL, maybe I'll just keep all my OEM parts in the trunk - that'll make the rear look better!
There you go. Someone is getting it.
Quote:
      11-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #27
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 535 iX

Depending on the temperature it may reinforce the steel actually but shorten its flexibility. Without proper thermo analysis by an engineer the procedure is useless.
But would you even go for that set of troubles to lower it 0.25-0.4" ?? Stop looking at these gaps get in and drive, when you are inside you dont know what the gap is and nobody cares about it from outside. Handling and comfort is more important than the 1 min look from outside.

2011 535 iX lemoned
OnlyTruth is offline   United_States
      11-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #28
3times3
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
Depending on the temperature it may reinforce the steel actually but shorten its flexibility. Without proper thermo analysis by an engineer the procedure is useless.
But would you even go for that set of troubles to lower it 0.25-0.4" ?? Stop looking at these gaps get in and drive, when you are inside you dont know what the gap is and nobody cares about it from outside. Handling and comfort is more important than the 1 min look from outside.
I'd say that's good advice except that I care both how it looks and how it feels, and right now it doesn't look good having mismatched gaps. And I don't know if it's all in my head but I could swear I notice that the rear feels too high when I'm in the car. I feel a little pitched forward in the seat - like the back is lifted up. I'm not sure if a .5-.7" difference is enough to feel this but I think it might be.

I agree comfort is more important than the gap, otherwise I'd have just gone with H&R sports again. And the really annoying thing is feeling like I wasted time and money to install lowering springs that didn't lower the car. Looking through the 19"s on OEM sport suspension thread the rear of my car looks the same or higher.
      11-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #29
Donia330i
Major

Drives: 06 330i SGM

just full up your tank and let it sit for a few days
Donia330i is offline   United_States
      11-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #30
3times3
Lieutenant

It's been 7 days now and the tank is full.
      11-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #31
brocklanders
Captain

Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
hey hack, you are a stupid old bastard. and you need to wonder off somewhere and die
      11-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #32
brocklanders
Captain

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
stop trolling these websites for your own amusement
      11-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #33
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G

Quote:
hey hack, you are a stupid old bastard. and you need to wonder off somewhere and die
LOL. I was wondering when the FOAD post would come.

Don't be afraid of my über intelligent posts. Just because you can't comprehend them, doesn't mean the REST of the community can't either.

And even someone like YOU should comprehend the humor behind me making fun of someone trying to GHETTO mod a BMW 3 series by heating up the springs to let it sag. It's like taking the Mona Lisa and painting a set of bigger boobs over her because, well, she's a little bit saggy in the picture.
Quote:
      11-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #34
brocklanders
Captain

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
LOL. I was wondering when the FOAD post would come.

Don't be afraid of my über intelligent posts. Just because you can't comprehend them, doesn't mean the REST of the community can't either.

And even someone like YOU should comprehend the humor behind me making fun of someone trying to GHETTO mod a BMW 3 series by heating up the springs to let it sag. It's like taking the Mona Lisa and painting a set of bigger boobs over her because, well, she's a little bit saggy in the picture.
you are not wrong here, my apologies, your post can be humorous from time to time. but "uber intelligent" i dont know about that. well it is self proclaimed.
      11-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #35
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G

Quote:
you are not wrong here, my apologies, your post can be humorous from time to time. but "uber intelligent" i dont know about that. well it is self proclaimed.
Sarcasm IS the lowest form of humor...
Quote:
      11-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #36
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 535 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3times3 View Post
I'd say that's good advice except that I care both how it looks and how it feels, and right now it doesn't look good having mismatched gaps. And I don't know if it's all in my head but I could swear I notice that the rear feels too high when I'm in the car. I feel a little pitched forward in the seat - like the back is lifted up. I'm not sure if a .5-.7" difference is enough to feel this but I think it might be.

I agree comfort is more important than the gap, otherwise I'd have just gone with H&R sports again. And the really annoying thing is feeling like I wasted time and money to install lowering springs that didn't lower the car. Looking through the 19"s on OEM sport suspension thread the rear of my car looks the same or higher.
Adjust the seat tilt? It must be in your head

2011 535 iX lemoned
OnlyTruth is offline   United_States
      11-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #37
3times3
Lieutenant

Ha, yeah my seat is tilted all the way down in back, up in front already. Actually it occurred to me I know it's not in my head: when I first installed my coilovers the front was a nice flush drop but I'd set the back about .6-.7" too high. As soon as I got in the car it was very noticeable that the car felt slanted. I adjust the rear perches down about .5" and it felt fine. So yes, even a .5" difference can easily be noticed.

I don't get why my Eibach springs aren't an even drop like all the other cars I see posted. Guess I'll be ghetto and cut half a coil because it doesn't look or feel right.
      11-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #38
ice
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 07 328i Coupe

why dont you get some B&G springs, I was deciding between the Pro and B&G and went wit the B&G for the lower drop...The ride is pretty smooth..I believe the drop for the sedan is lower.
Attached Images

Last edited by ice; 11-11-2010 at 07:57 PM.
ice is offline   United_States
      11-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #39
3times3
Lieutenant

That looks pretty good on your E92. According to the EAS site, the B&Gs lower 1.6" front and 1.4" rear (same for all E9Xs) which is more of a drop than the H&R sports. I think that'd be a bit too aggressive for the Koni FSDs to handle and actually the H&Rs were already a little lower than I wanted. I like where my fronts are now, just the rear didn't drop like it should have for whatever reason so it needs to come down .5" and I'll be happy.