E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Decision to make. Thoughts appreciated.

11-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Decision to make. Thoughts appreciated.

By the end of the week I need to decide whether to hand my car back to BMW or purchase it for the GMFV figure. I was definitely going to hand back but I am struggling to find time to test drive cars. My only possible reason for purchase would be to allow myself more time to find the right replacement with the right spec & this is 95% likely to be an Audi TTS.

I realise that buying the car will ultimately lead to a loss as the figure needed is 13,827 and I am unlikely to recoup this come trade in, on a 56 plate 330i E92, but it would allow me to keep my car through December & Jan and have the freedom to purchase a new car if the right one came up. This would also allow time for some cash that is coming our way to materialize which will help to finance the next car.

Opinions are welcomed as I detest anything do with financial decisions on account of being totally useless with them!

Cheers
Gav

RockIt!
RockIt is offline   England
      11-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
davyk31
Brigadier General

Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD

Taking time to choose the next car is important. A lot depends on how quick you might find a replacement car, in my experience once you decide what you want the right thing can turn up quickly. so if this was likely to be a short gap I wouldn't want to take a loss on the BMW. Have you any other car you can borrow or even hire perhaps, still might be cheaper than loosing money after buying your BMW.

Also depends how important it is to wait for the funding to materialise to let you buy the new car. If thats a few months away and its essential to get this money then the time span will be longer which may swing it towards buying your BMW now. You also need to find out whats its really worth now, if the price is too high compared to worth then I would let it go and perhaps even buy a cheap runaround that will only loose you a few pounds in the process.
      11-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Jeff123
Jeff

Drives: 320d M Sport auto - 2007 (E90)

Let it go and buy a "banger" for a couple of months. Xmas could be a good time to negotiate a decent deal on a car.
Jeff123 is offline   United Kingdom
      11-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
chrisbin
Colonel

Drives: M-Benz C250CDi Est

Talk to an Audi dealer, find out just what they would give you for the Beemer, compared to a cash deal. Then you will know how much the "convenience" is going to cost you....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
      11-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
jimmylimmy
Captain

Drives: 'charged VXR8

get a trade in price from CAP and Glasses and Audi as suggested

May be worthwhile hiring a car for a couple of months than losing a few grand
      11-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
pjs
Colonel

Drives: F30 335d

Probably best to give the bmw back, but what a car for under 14k, especially with your low mileage.

You are always in a strong and transparent position buying without a p/x
      11-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
TMP
Colonel

Drives: M135i

Agree with above comments, prob best not to risk it (unless you can get a px figure before) and just give the car back.

Rent a car for 200 a month and you will be quids in...
      11-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
rogerxp
Major General

Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I'm struggling to see how you're going to really loose too much money . There are 3.0 E46's still going (or should I say for sale) for 13k on autotrader and the occassional galactic mileage E92. I'd a thought you're be quite safe with your money, yes OK would won't make money (like some do), but would you really loose a great amount.

Obviously I don't know your car (no. of owners, spec, etc) so you'd be better a judge.

If you bought the car off BMW would there be a change of owner that could affect resale???

Am I missing something here - I say keep it...
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
rogerxp is offline   United Kingdom
      11-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
davyk31
Brigadier General

It all depends on the valuation on the car, once that is known the decision is easy.
      11-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
rogerxp
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
It all depends on the valuation on the car, once that is known the decision is easy.
That's my point, Gav has to pay just under 14k for the car, I'm saying that (at a very quick glance with limited information) perhaps that's what the car is worth, worst case. If it's low mileage, high spec, good condition, etc, I'd say it's a safe bet it's worth more.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
      11-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
Thanks for the comments. The car is low mileage, good condition. Manual 330i SE in space gray, with heated sports seats in red Dakota leather, 18" star alloys & sports suspension. M sport was not out at time I purchased so I added sports suspension! Nav was not required. In hindsight should perhaps have added it. Best trade in seen in book is 12500.

RockIt!
      11-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
rogerxp
Major General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Best trade in seen in book is 12500.
That's trade-in though don't forget. You'll get your purchase price if you sell privately. So I guess the question is 'can you be arsed to sell privately'?? If the answer is yes then crack on and buy the car; if it's a no then send it back.
      11-03-2010, 03:06 AM   #13
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

If you can imagine keeping the car for 2 years, then make that final payment. It will be VERY cheap motoring because the worst of the depreciation is over.

Otherwise, hand it back and go for the TTS. Without a car to sell you will be able to take full advantage of online brokers and should get a nice discount.
      11-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Gav what were you doing during half term.

You haven't said whether it's a new or second hand TTS you're thinking of buying but know what I'd do. Hand yours back as I couldn't be arsed selling privately, buy a cheap run about, even an old A4 or something as I know the dealers will happily take even old Audis as they know how to shift them on. My little sis. was in this positon as she fancied a TTS and had Steve's old A4 Avant to trade in.

If you keep the E92 then you've got to consider extended warranties (sorry extended warranty insurance lol).

I think sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet, make a decision and go for it otherwise time ticks by. You appear to be pretty sure about what car you would like next so sort out what to do with the E92 then focus on finding the next car that ticks all your boxes and enjoy!
beemerbird is offline   England
      11-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
335diesel
Brigadier General

Drives: 335d Touring

Garage List
Prices will be on their knees this time next year. Worth considering.

E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
335diesel is offline   United Kingdom
      11-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
Irnbrukid
Major

Drives: RepMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Hows that Matt ??
Irnbrukid is offline   Scotland
      11-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
peterg1965
Brigadier General

Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
Prices of what? Cars in general or TTS'?
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
      11-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
davyk31
Brigadier General

Not sure it will take til this time next year but car prices to tumble, I see dealers struggling already and the VAT increase in Jan won't help, next Spring looks like a good time to buy to me.
      11-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Gav what were you doing during half term.

You haven't said whether it's a new or second hand TTS you're thinking of buying but know what I'd do. Hand yours back as I couldn't be arsed selling privately, buy a cheap run about, even an old A4 or something as I know the dealers will happily take even old Audis as they know how to shift them on. My little sis. was in this positon as she fancied a TTS and had Steve's old A4 Avant to trade in.

If you keep the E92 then you've got to consider extended warranties (sorry extended warranty insurance lol).

I think sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet, make a decision and go for it otherwise time ticks by. You appear to be pretty sure about what car you would like next so sort out what to do with the E92 then focus on finding the next car that ticks all your boxes and enjoy!
Hi Helen. Half term was manic for various reasons. Away first weekend, trapped nerve has returned with a vengeance and unexpectedly had to have a cat put to sleep

I did try to get a drive at my local dealership. What a farce. First off the sales guy only wanted to talk finance, then he tried to suggest that a TT with S line spec was a TTS...because some joker had put that on the numberplate in the showroom! I had to explain to him what a bloody TTS actually is! Then he decided that he couldn't get anywhere near the lease prices I had been quoted, so there was no drive forthcoming. I do seem to have very unfortunate experiences with dealerships at the moment.

Anyway thanks to everyone for their opinions and advice. Much appreciated.

The BMW will be handed back in December. It's been a fantastic car and the reason I joined this forum and have met many top folk on the Northern Meets...which will continue!

After considering many cars, including the Scirocco R, A5, Cayman S and a used 997C2S I have pretty much decided to buy a used TTS.

I've always like the new TT and drove one when they first came out. It has a hatch, which is useful for my needs, insurance is group 19 but way less than a Porsche, the interior is cracking and the TTS is pretty quick in standard guise and damned nippy after a remap. Although the finance on a new one was appealing, the earliest I could expect a 2011 facelifted car is in about 7 months!

So...I've found some good low mileage, high spec used examples and will be driving one in the next week or so. If it ticks the boxes, as I'm sure it will, as soon as the cash comes through I'll go and buy one! This also means that I will be paying out less per month and can quite likely aim towards the 997 in a couple of years.

Regards

Gav

RockIt!
      11-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #20
rogerxp
Major General

Garage List
Sounds like a plan .
      11-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #21
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Hi Helen. Half term was manic for various reasons. Away first weekend, trapped nerve has returned with a vengeance and unexpectedly had to have a cat put to sleep

I did try to get a drive at my local dealership. What a farce. First off the sales guy only wanted to talk finance, then he tried to suggest that a TT with S line spec was a TTS...because some joker had put that on the numberplate in the showroom! I had to explain to him what a bloody TTS actually is! Then he decided that he couldn't get anywhere near the lease prices I had been quoted, so there was no drive forthcoming. I do seem to have very unfortunate experiences with dealerships at the moment.

Anyway thanks to everyone for their opinions and advice. Much appreciated.

The BMW will be handed back in December. It's been a fantastic car and the reason I joined this forum and have met many top folk on the Northern Meets...which will continue!

After considering many cars, including the Scirocco R, A5, Cayman S and a used 997C2S I have pretty much decided to buy a used TTS.

I've always like the new TT and drove one when they first came out. It has a hatch, which is useful for my needs, insurance is group 19 but way less than a Porsche, the interior is cracking and the TTS is pretty quick in standard guise and damned nippy after a remap. Although the finance on a new one was appealing, the earliest I could expect a 2011 facelifted car is in about 7 months!

So...I've found some good low mileage, high spec used examples and will be driving one in the next week or so. If it ticks the boxes, as I'm sure it will, as soon as the cash comes through I'll go and buy one! This also means that I will be paying out less per month and can quite likely aim towards the 997 in a couple of years.

Regards

Gav
Oh bloody hell Gav!! What an absolute bastard of a week!!!

You don't seem to have much look with dealers I agree. Well fingers crossed for the next coming weeks, getting that damn nerve sorted, some better luck and something to look forward to.

Keep us posted ok.
beemerbird is offline   England
      11-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #22
Boyd1963
Major

Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
After seeing Helen's car I went to my local Audi dealer as I wanted to test drive ANY petrol TT preferably with sat-nav. As I do about 15,000-20,000 miles a year the salesman couldn't get it into his head that I didn't want a diesel and wanted me to test drive one. I'm sure that they are very nice and if I buy another BMW it will definitely be a diesel but I specifically wanted to drive a petrol.

I've got a fuel card so MPG is not that important which is why I started to look at 350zs. I think though that I will just try another Audi dealer and hopefully find one that listens to what I want and not what he wants to sell me. (Broker4cars seem to be doing pretty good deals on TTs)
Boyd1963 is offline   United Kingdom