E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Decision to make. Thoughts appreciated.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #23
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
71
Rep
4,637
Posts

 
Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Hi Helen. Half term was manic for various reasons. Away first weekend, trapped nerve has returned with a vengeance and unexpectedly had to have a cat put to sleep

I did try to get a drive at my local dealership. What a farce. First off the sales guy only wanted to talk finance, then he tried to suggest that a TT with S line spec was a TTS...because some joker had put that on the numberplate in the showroom! I had to explain to him what a bloody TTS actually is! Then he decided that he couldn't get anywhere near the lease prices I had been quoted, so there was no drive forthcoming. I do seem to have very unfortunate experiences with dealerships at the moment.

Anyway thanks to everyone for their opinions and advice. Much appreciated.

The BMW will be handed back in December. It's been a fantastic car and the reason I joined this forum and have met many top folk on the Northern Meets...which will continue!

After considering many cars, including the Scirocco R, A5, Cayman S and a used 997C2S I have pretty much decided to buy a used TTS.

I've always like the new TT and drove one when they first came out. It has a hatch, which is useful for my needs, insurance is group 19 but way less than a Porsche, the interior is cracking and the TTS is pretty quick in standard guise and damned nippy after a remap. Although the finance on a new one was appealing, the earliest I could expect a 2011 facelifted car is in about 7 months!

So...I've found some good low mileage, high spec used examples and will be driving one in the next week or so. If it ticks the boxes, as I'm sure it will, as soon as the cash comes through I'll go and buy one! This also means that I will be paying out less per month and can quite likely aim towards the 997 in a couple of years.

Regards

Gav
Hi Gav,

Sorry to hear about your crap week mate. Also, looking forward to seeing you in the near future at you know where!!

Anyhow, TTS seems a good buy to me. Knowing what the 'Engine' can do, now I have it in the Golf, I can't reccomend it enough over the most of the competition (on a purely bang for your buck basis) so if you want any advice on going for a conservative 350+ bhp, let me know!!!

Hope the buying goes well for you mate!

Regards
Matt
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #24
335diesel
Brigadier General
335diesel's Avatar
United Kingdom
56
Rep
4,009
Posts

 
Drives: 335d Touring
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cornwall

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Prices of what? Cars in general or TTS'?
Cars in general.

When it comes to "recession" we ain't seen nothing yet. Trust me (or don't!) on that one.
__________________


E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #25
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
RockIt's Avatar
England
27
Rep
1,720
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Curry Capital of Yorkshire!

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Hi Gav,

Sorry to hear about your crap week mate. Also, looking forward to seeing you in the near future at you know where!!

Anyhow, TTS seems a good buy to me. Knowing what the 'Engine' can do, now I have it in the Golf, I can't reccomend it enough over the most of the competition (on a purely bang for your buck basis) so if you want any advice on going for a conservative 350+ bhp, let me know!!!

Hope the buying goes well for you mate!

Regards
Matt
Thanks Matt. Ali & I are really looking forward to meeting up with you both again. Curry and car talk! I've found a few likely looking motors. Just waiting on the financial stuff to get sorted and should have a new toy pre Christmas!
__________________

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #26
beemerbird
Major General
beemerbird's Avatar
England
88
Rep
7,953
Posts

 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
After seeing Helen's car I went to my local Audi dealer as I wanted to test drive ANY petrol TT preferably with sat-nav. As I do about 15,000-20,000 miles a year the salesman couldn't get it into his head that I didn't want a diesel and wanted me to test drive one. I'm sure that they are very nice and if I buy another BMW it will definitely be a diesel but I specifically wanted to drive a petrol.

I've got a fuel card so MPG is not that important which is why I started to look at 350zs. I think though that I will just try another Audi dealer and hopefully find one that listens to what I want and not what he wants to sell me. (Broker4cars seem to be doing pretty good deals on TTs)
Why are there these variations with bloody dealers, really gets my back up for people like yourself trying to be a customer of all things!! You state you would like to test drive a petrol car so that is what you should be given to test drive!!

I've noticed subtle differences in that Grimsby Audi did accompanied test drives but it was never a problem getting said test drive. They let me have a 'play' in a RS6 saloon just for the fun of it (was fun too!!) and don't forget that R8 V10 I thoroughly enjoyed having a 'play' in was brought over from Grimsby so I could drive it on my local roads. Hull Audi let me loose in a tiptronic S5 they had at the time, no questions asked and off I went for about 3 hours. This time around Hull Audi brought over from Boston a TTRS so that I could have a proper test drive. A salesman had to bring the car the 60 or so miles to Hessle, they had to cover the 5.40 Humber Bridge toll both ways, then the car had to be returned to Boston Audi. I had that car for the day.

I simply don't see why you and Gav should be treated any differently in all honesty. The way I approach things is to ring and ask to speak to a salesman or get a return call. Initially discuss over the phone my requirements, then arrange a face to face meeting arriving at the dealers knowing the spec. I am looking for, the price I'm willing to pay to exchange and having done my homework in general regarding the car. In other words YOU are in the driving seat from the get go (excuse the pun!). Additionally, I always approach them in a positive and confident manner.

Btw, the MMI on the TT models is not as comprehensive as on the larger Audi models ie. on the bigger models the MMI screen and menus display all the car info. light settings and all set ups etc. similar to idrive. The TT's are split between some done via the stalk on the steering wheel and some done via the MMI. The actual sat. nav. is the same if HDD based. Just so you know in advance. It seems to be something Audi do to differentiate the models. Again homework.

Good luck btw.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #27
Boyd1963
Major
Boyd1963's Avatar
United Kingdom
16
Rep
1,301
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 320d e92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bournemouth

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Why are there these variations with bloody dealers, really gets my back up for people like yourself trying to be a customer of all things!! You state you would like to test drive a petrol car so that is what you should be given to test drive!!

I've noticed subtle differences in that Grimsby Audi did accompanied test drives but it was never a problem getting said test drive. They let me have a 'play' in a RS6 saloon just for the fun of it (was fun too!!) and don't forget that R8 V10 I thoroughly enjoyed having a 'play' in was brought over from Grimsby so I could drive it on my local roads. Hull Audi let me loose in a tiptronic S5 they had at the time, no questions asked and off I went for about 3 hours. This time around Hull Audi brought over from Boston a TTRS so that I could have a proper test drive. A salesman had to bring the car the 60 or so miles to Hessle, they had to cover the 5.40 Humber Bridge toll both ways, then the car had to be returned to Boston Audi. I had that car for the day.

I simply don't see why you and Gav should be treated any differently in all honesty. The way I approach things is to ring and ask to speak to a salesman or get a return call. Initially discuss over the phone my requirements, then arrange a face to face meeting arriving at the dealers knowing the spec. I am looking for, the price I'm willing to pay to exchange and having done my homework in general regarding the car. In other words YOU are in the driving seat from the get go (excuse the pun!). Additionally, I always approach them in a positive and confident manner.

Btw, the MMI on the TT models is not as comprehensive as on the larger Audi models ie. on the bigger models the MMI screen and menus display all the car info. light settings and all set ups etc. similar to idrive. The TT's are split between some done via the stalk on the steering wheel and some done via the MMI. The actual sat. nav. is the same if HDD based. Just so you know in advance. It seems to be something Audi do to differentiate the models. Again homework.

Good luck btw.
I think my problem was that I looked like I had just come off the beach (which I had)

Perhaps the salesman thought that he was being helpful offering me a diesel or maybe he thought that I was some sort of tree-hugger due to my flowing locks (Sadly no more due to a misunderstanding at the barbers!)

Anyway I will go back for another try once works stops sending me on glamorous postings. I'm in Glasgow all next week. A city that I have noticed has a lot of very nice BMWs.

I'm very keen to see how the MMI compares with the idrive as I do like my toys . Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #28
beemerbird
Major General
beemerbird's Avatar
England
88
Rep
7,953
Posts

 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
I think my problem was that I looked like I had just come off the beach (which I had)

Perhaps the salesman thought that he was being helpful offering me a diesel or maybe he thought that I was some sort of tree-hugger due to my flowing locks (Sadly no more due to a misunderstanding at the barbers!)

Anyway I will go back for another try once works stops sending me on glamorous postings. I'm in Glasgow all next week. A city that I have noticed has a lot of very nice BMWs.

I'm very keen to see how the MMI compares with the idrive as I do like my toys . Thanks for the heads up.
LOL I've now got visions of a hippy type bloke!

The TT range MMI is not as comprehensive as idrive, no screen displaying brake pad wear etc. the car simply 'alerts' you as and when. The sat nav is comprehensive and very clear, has a couple of additional options for map use compared to idrive and the ipod and associated media stuff is well laid out and simple to navigate and use. No goggle maps though, think the A8's have only just got that option! So not as many toys I'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #29
Boyd1963
Major
Boyd1963's Avatar
United Kingdom
16
Rep
1,301
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 320d e92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bournemouth

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
At some point in the last ten years I have changed from Robert Plant into James May and we drive the same as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #30
beemerbird
Major General
beemerbird's Avatar
England
88
Rep
7,953
Posts

 
Drives: Merc diesel
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
At some point in the last ten years I have changed from Robert Plant into James May and we drive the same as well.
Bloody hell lol. Maybe you should consider the tdi then.............only joking!!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #31
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
RockIt's Avatar
England
27
Rep
1,720
Posts

 
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Curry Capital of Yorkshire!

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Well... looked at several TTS s and got a call today from the dealer that the BMW came from. Just taken a TTS in part ex. Amazing price offered compared to others. 58 plate in Sprint Blue with Bose surround sound and extended leather. No nav but I can live with that. 3k below anything I've seen and 4 new tyres as a deal sweetener. Got a drive tomorrow.and seriously tempted!
__________________

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #32
Snooky
Major
Snooky's Avatar
Scotland
13
Rep
1,165
Posts

 
Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Livingston, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Hope its a good'un when you see it Gav! Good luck!
__________________
Still missing my E92 335i M Sport!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 04:43 AM   #33
willhollin
Major General
willhollin's Avatar
England
123
Rep
9,918
Posts

 
Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Sounds promising.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST